• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICoa]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Build Update:  5/6/13

Hey everyone,

So I've been tinkering with this build more, incorporating ascended gear into the mix, and with the help and feedback of others, I think I've found the optimal spec for this playstyle.  It's an incredibly well rounded build now that dishes out a lot of punishment, and is versitile enough where you can play it in both PvE and WvW without really having to switch out anything.

This new build gives you 101% crit damage with a 50% crit chance.  However, your health and armor are also quite decent, so your survivability is on par with most other Guardians.  You also have higher condition damage than your average Guardian, which helps a lot with your DPS.  Your healing is also fairly decent, so you can still offer some support to your group.  We also have some good condition removal from shouts and whatnot.  Oh, and this build also gives you some good Magic Find stats, so you can get some pretty good loot while you're melting faces.  :-)

I don't have much time at the moment to update this full guide, but I'll give you a link to the new build so you can see how it is made:

Ultra Guardian Build

I'll see if I can write a full guide on how to use this soon.  Thanks for reading!

-Ultra

Old Build

Hi everyone,

First off, this post is going to be long.  I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read it.  I've been playing Guardian since launch and have tried many different builds, and I'm hoping that by posting this, the community can help me perfect it.  I've been frustrated trying to find a good PvE/WvW build that allows me to dish out huge damage, yet still support my teammates as needed.  I previously ran with 2 different builds, one for PvE and one for WvW, but it got really annoying having to re-build my traits and swap out armor sets every time I wanted to change things up.

After playing around in PvP for a while, I found a build I really liked and wanted to see if I could build something just like it in PvE.  Unfortunately, the PvP armor in the game does not utilize the same stats as the PvE armor.  I was running with a very tanky Power/Precision/Vitality build, and there is no armor that gives those three stats together in PvE, so I had to do some experimenting.  What I found was not quite up to the level I had in PvP, but I tested this build out both in the Arah Dungeon in Orr and in WvW, and it performed extremely well.

Before I get into the specifics of this build, let me just say this build is absolutely BEAST MODE for damage.  It's based on AOE damage and Range, with High Crits, so when you hit a mob or a player, you're hitting like a freakin' truck.  Not only that, you're hitting 5 for more guys at a time.  And to top it off, you have a pretty decent sized health pool, so you're not gonna die super fast.  This build is very versatile, so you can use it for PvE, Events, Boss Battles, Healing/Support, Sieges, and Keep Defense, all with minimal adjustments.  Plus, you can build it to be more tanky for increased survivability, or more damage, if you prefer being a glass cannon and don't care about dying constantly but wanna kill stuff super fast.

So without further ado, here's the build:

Ultramatum's Beast Mode "Ultra Guardian" Build

Let me break this down for you a bit more and share with you how I use it...

The stats of the build are this:
  • Power - 1,960
  • Precision - 1,697
  • Toughness - 1,032
  • Vitality - 1,551
  • Attack - 3,071
  • Crit Chance - 41% (actually, it's really between 46% and 50%, depending on your weapon set)
  • Crit Damage - 70
  • Armor - 2,243
  • Health - 17,155
Amor Set:  
  • Full Exotic Berzerker Draconic Set (Power/Precision/Crit Damage)
Runes:  
  • 6 Superior Runes Of Divinity (+10 to all stats, +2% Crit Damage)
Weapons:  
  • Berzerker Staff w/ Sigil of Superior Accuracy
  • Berzerker Scepter with Sigil of Superior Accuracy
  • Berzerker Focus with Sigil of Superior Energy
Accessories:  
  • Guild Assassin Backpack with an Exquisite Ruby Jewel (You can get this with 5 gold from guild armor vendors, Jewel sold seperately)
  • Amulet:  Beryl Orichalcum Amulet of the Valkyrie with Beryl Jewel
  • Ear 1:  Beryl Orichalcum Earring of the Valkyrie, with Beryl Jewel
  • Ear 2:  Emerald Orichalcum Earring With A Beryl Jewel
  • Ring 1:  Beryl Orichalcum Ring of the Valkyrie with Beryl Jewel
  • Ring 2:  Beryl Orichalcum Ring of the Valkyrie with Beryl Jewel
Your Weapon Sets

Okay, so let's dive into this build in detail.  I know a lot of players out there like to poo-poo on Staff and Scepter, and they do have some legitimate gripes.  I used to think Staff was pretty worthless, and was your typical Greatsword Guardian.  However, I always found Greatsword in WvW to be extremely lackluster, and in Dungeons, having a greatsword was a good way to get killed fast by boss and silver mobs if you had a very low health pool.  In addition, the recent changes Anet made to Greatsword just made it less viable in my opinion.  If you think about it, in WvW, your symbol of wrath isn't much good because combat has you and your enemies constantly moving.  Your Whirling Wrath has a small range and tends to miss against moving targets.  Your leap has a tendency to miss if you're on a different elevation from your target.  And, you have to be in melee range to do damage, which is very difficult to do in WvW and stay alive (If you're a Guardian anyway).

Your primary weapon in this build will be the staff and here's why.  First off, it's auto-attack is an AOE damage attack, so you're going to be hitting everything in a (roughly) 45 degree cone in front of you.  With your power over 3,000, your critical hits will be landing for around 1K a tick.  The auto attack is pretty fast so you're hitting everything in front of you for roughly 1k damage pretty consistently.  I've hit up to 10 mobs at once for 1k a hit with this build.  It's pretty awesome.  In WvW, if you stand behind a gate and spam this skill, you'll be hitting everyone behind the gate for massive damage!  If you have a group of 5 similarly specced Guardians doing this, rams simply melt.

Top that off with Orb of Light, which crits almost all the time and hits for upwards of 2500, plus, with the two handed mastery trait, it's almost instantly ready to reuse if you don't detonate it (never detonate it, btw).  This can DPS your target down very quickly.  Orb of light isn't good for far away targets, but up close it is highly effective.  Plus, it will hit everything in it's path for about 1200 meters, so for situations where there are large groups of enemies, it will hit everyone it touches for massive damage.

Symbol of Swiftness is a great group buff for speed.  I use it all the time to travel around the map.  It recharges fairly quick, but guess what?  It also deals damage to bad guys!  Not a lot, but every little bit helps, and it's a Damage over Time skill - as long as the symbol is up, it's ticking away at whoever is on top of it.  You can drop this on groups of mobs or players and damage every one of them that stands in the symbol.  It's also great for tower defense, because you can drop this symbol in front of your gate and damage everything grouped there.  You can also pop it on towers and ramparts while seiging a tower and it will damage whomever it touches.  The fact that it recharges so quickly means you can use it constantly.

Empower is a great support skill you can use to quickly heal and buff your allies.  But it's great for giving yourself some extra "oomph."  Before you run into a boss fight or a battle, you can hit this skill to get 15 stacks of might, which buffs your power stat, which makes you hit for more damage.  It also makes your allies hit for more damage too!  If I'm not in the thick of battle, I'll try to use this whenever it's off cooldown to keep my allies and me buffed as much as possible.  Plus, if you use this, then hit a skill like Save Yourselves, you can rush into a fight and just melt anything in front of you with HUGE crits for at least 12 seconds!

Finally, Line of Warding.  I don't use this much because it takes too long to channel and it's not very effective.  Occasionally I'll pop it in front of a gate of a tower I'm seiging, but it's not very useful against human players since they can doge roll over it.  Against NPCs, however, it can be good for choke points and the like to keep rushing mobs at bay.  If this skill was instant, it would be better.  But it's too easy to interrupt it just by moving, which puts in on cooldown.  That, and the fact that it can be dodged over makes it the worst skill in the game IMHO.

The Scepter/Focus combo is for ranged, and if you do any WvW, you know that range is king.  You need it to fight people on the towers and ramparts, and on the ground if you're defending.  Plus, it's great to attack from a distance or if a target is running away.  Now, scepter isn't the best ranged weapon in the game, but it's all we got, and it's not that bad.

Also, the Smite skill is great for planting on hard to reach places for some quick AOE damage.  And the crits are pretty decent considering how fast it hits.  Chains of light is great for chasing down escaping foes, and Ray of Judgement is good for when melee opponents get in your face.  However, Shield of Wrath has many fantastic uses for the 4 seconds of block it gives you.  In WvW, this is invaluable, and you'll need it to effectively use some of your utility skills.  In choke-point battles, I'll pop this and run into the heat of battle to throw down my Wall of Reflection, and it is a real life-saver.  You can use it when you're getting teamed up on in a 2v1 situation and it's AOE blast can shell out some mighty fine damage, so you can even use it offensively.  You can also pop it before you use your heal skill to make you invulnerable in the time it takes to get the heal off.  It just has a ton of uses.

Your Armor:

Going full Berzerker armor will buff up your Power, Precision, and Crit Damage stats, making your DPS extremely high.  With Berserker weapons, this goes even higher.  Equipping 6 Superior Runs of divinity essentially gives you +60 to all stats (for a nice over-all buff) and +12% crit damage, which is awesome.  There may be other rune combinations that are superior to this, but so far, this has suited my needs just fine.

The key here is choosing the right accessories.  The Guild Assassin Backpack with a Ruby Jewel equipped gives you a great boost to your DPS stats.  It's 5 gold, but it's worth it since it's the best backpiece you can get in the game.  I wouldn't suggest taking any other backpiece.

For your other accessories, the Beryl Jewelry is going to give you the Vitality boost you need to not die almost instantly.  I equip one Emerald earring with a beryl jewel to give a little bit more boost to power/pre/toughness.  But this combo will give you a health pool of 17,155, which seems to be more than enough health to survive most encounters.

I personally think Health is a MUCH more important stat than toughness in this game.  The higher your health pool, the longer you can survive condition damage, which completely bypasses toughness.  Anyone who's played WvW knows that you get conditioned to hell the minute a battle starts.  Running with a lower armor and higher health pool has greatly increased my ability to survive encounters I've found.  Ideally, I'd like a health pool around 20,000 HP, but I haven't been able to find a way to do this without sacrificing on the damage front.  I'd be willing to cut power to around 2800 for an extra 3K in health, but the hit to Precision gimps the build too much.

This combo gives you a 41% crit chance, but with a superior sigil of accuracy equipped on your weapon, that's actually 46%, since for some reason those buffs aren't reflected in your Hero panel.  With the 15% increase using a one-handed weapon, that goes up to around 50% when your scepter is equipped.

You can actually get your crit chance up higher if you replace one ring with an Emerald ring of the Knight, which has Power/Precision/Toughness attached to it.  This will give you a 45% crit chance (effectively 50% with the accuracy sigil), which is perfect.  However, your health pool takes a hit, dropping it down to 16,525 hit points.  I find there's not much difference between a 46% crit chance and a 50% crit chance, so I prefer to go for the increased health pool since I can also use food buffs to up my crit chance when I need to.

Also to note, if you have a teammate with a Fury buff, make sure they cast it on you all the freakin' time.  This will up your crit chance significantly.

I'll also consume a Bowl of Curry Butternut Squash Soup while in dungeons to add 100 Precision (a boost of roughly 4% increase in crit chance) and +10 crit damage for 30 minutes.  You can also consume Master Maintenance Oil for a power boost of 6% of your toughness and 4% of your vitality for 30 minutes, further increasing your DPS.  Sometimes I'll use these in WvW if I'm heading into what I know will be a prolonged battle or zerg.

Your Build

So the core of this build is Radiance and Honor.  Radiance gives you the increased Precision you need to have a close to 50% crit chance, and Honor gives you the health you need to not die constantly.  Plus, Honor will also give you 300 healing power (for a total of 360 healing power in this build), which is nice for your support efforts and using Empower and Virtue of Resolve.  But healing power is a "meh" stat, so I don't focus on it too much.

My build is 0/30/0/30/10 for one reason - 10 points in virtues allows me to ground target Consecrations, which is absolutely necessary for WvW play, and comes in very handy in dungeons.  If you wanted, you could switch that to the Valor line and get Retributive Armor, which gives 5% of toughness as a bonus to precision to get your crit rate up, but I've found that having the ability to place Wall of Reflection anywhere I want more powerful that the small bump in crit chance that attribute gives me.

Also, with this build, Virtue of Justice is a big deal.  Hitting it gives you might, which increases your damage output.  Burning your target increases your DPS.  Plus, it's refreshed whenever an enemy dies, so in AOE situations where you're hitting a bunch of mobs, you can start spamming VoJ the minute they start dropping.  It's a beautiful thing to see your enemies burn in the flame of righteousness, lol.

Most glass cannon Guardian builds go 10/30/30/0/0, but after testing this build myself, I just don't like the lack of survivability it gives you, ESPECIALLY in dungeons and WvW.  If your health is around 14,000, you're not going to last very long, especially once conditions come into play, and this can be a detriment to your group losing you constantly or having to take time to rez you every 10 seconds.  The 10 points in power is basically a waste, since the only decent attribute there is Fiery Wrath, which gives you +10% damage to burning foes.  In extended boss fights, and fights against other players, your only burning skill - Virtue of Justice - is gonna be on cooldown a lot, making that 10% damage increase pretty unreliable.

A full support build, such as 0/0/10/30/30 is good, but you're not gonna get any kills with that build in WvW, and you're also gonna have a rough time in solo PvE and Dungeons.  Sure, you're a support God, throwing out heals and long lasting boons, etc.  But you can't kill stuff.  Not fun for me.

Finally, if you prefer 0/0/30/30/10 or 0/10/30/30/0 to go the Altruistic Healing/Empowering Might route, that's fine too.  However, the problem with that build is that, as I said before, in most situations Toughness is inferior to Vitality, and you're trading off your crit chance increase for Toughness.  Plus, in most dungeon/WvW situations, Altruistic Healing just isn't worth it.  You're gonna die faster than you can heal yourself, at least this has been my experience.  So the 30 points in the Valor line just don't work for me.

Attributes

The attributes I've chosen for this build are:
  • Signet Mastery:  Signets recharge 20% faster
  • Inscribed Removal:  Using a signet cures a condition on you.
  • Right Hand Strength:  Critical Hit chance with a one-handed weapon is improved by 15%
  • Superior Aria:  Shouts Recharge 20% faster
  • Two Handed Mastery:  2 Handed Weapon Skills recharge 20% faster
  • Pure of Voice:  Allies affected by shouts convert 1 condition into a boon
  • Consecrated Ground:  Consecrations skills use ground targeting
The signet stuff is pretty self explanatory.  Condition removal is huge in WvW and boss fights, so having your signets double-function as condition removal can be a massive advantage.

Right handed strength is for increasing your crit chance when you equip your scepter.

Superior Aria and Pure of Voice helps with supporting your team.  Using "Retreat" and "Save Yourselves" can cure a ton of conditions on your allies, while granting you and them some nice buffs.  Plus, having them recharge faster is absolutely necessary if you like to use shouts.

Two Handed Mastery is essential for max DPS.  With this skill, Orb of Light is basically spammable within 2 seconds of casting, and Symbol of Swiftness is almost always available.  Plus, Empower recharges quicker, allowing you to heal and buff more.  Yay!

Finally, Consecrated Ground allows you to target where you want to put your Wall of Reflection, an absolute MUST in WvW and a lifesaver in Dungeons when used at the right time.

Utility Skills

I tend to swap out utility skills depending on the situation.  In my build I list the ones I tend to use the most:
  • Signet of Resolve
  • Signet of Judgement
  • Wall of Reflection
  • Retreat
  • Tome of Wrath
Signet of Resolve is our best healing skill.  It heals for a ton, and with this spec, also removes a condition.  It also gives us passive regen, though I hardly ever notice that.  I'll typically hit this when I'm at 50% health, cause that will bring me up to full and the cooldown of 30 seconds usually means by the time I need it again, it's ready.  If you pop Shield of Wrath before you use it, you're almost guaranteed to get it off successfully.  Some people prefer shelter for the 2 second block, but you get a 4 second block with Shield of Wrath.  Healing breeze is nice if you like being FULL support, but it's channel is buggy and it's on a 10 second longer cooldown than Signet of Resolve, with no condition removal.  Booooo.

Signet of Judgement has a great passive - 10% less damage, to make us just a bit more tanky.  It's also a decent buff when activated, and oh yeah - it's a condition remover.  If you want more DPS, swap this out for Bane Signet, which increases your power, and knocks down and damages your target, allowing you to own their corpse.  (Oh yeah, that also removes a condition!)  This is good for when you have a foe who is slippery or running away.

Wall of Reflection - never leave home without it.  This is always on my bar, and IMHO, the best utility skill the Guardian has.  I can't tell you how many times I've popped this sucker down in front of a gate that's being assaulted in WvW and laughed maniacally as I saw a litany of damage numbers scroll across my screen as all the ranged assaulters had their attacks shot right back at them.  With a team of 5 Guardians specced properly, you can hold a gate against a siege indefinitely using just this skill.  Plus, a condition is cured on you when an enemy's attack is reflected, and if you have allies shooting through it, they get a condition cured, so it's a fantastic group buff and condition remover as well.  Specced into Consecrated Ground, you can target it anywhere you want.  I'll often pop my Shield of Wrath, run up to a keep I'm assaulting, and pop Wall of Reflection on the ramparts where the defenders are firing at us, reflecting their attacks back on them.  In dungeons, it is incredible support as well for those pesky, hard-hitting archers and turrets.

One time, there was a choke point battle I was participating in on the Eternal Battlegrounds map.  Our enemy had taken one of our supply camps and had Ballistas covering the entrance.  Each side was blasting away at each other through the narrow opening into the supply camp.  Normally, I'd just throw Wall of Reflection at the choke point to send our attacker's projectiles back at them, but this time I switched out my shout for Judge's Intervention, targeted an enemy player at the front of the group, teleported in, dropped wall of reflection, and hit my staff auto attack.  Wall of Reflection shielded me from all the projectiles, damaging them, and my AOE auto attack was critting like mad on everyone in front of me, sending the group scattering.  They literally didn't know what hit them.  Of course, I still died really quickly, but I took a lot of those bastards with me!  lol.  That just shows how powerful Wall of Reflection can be with this build.

It's also a great escape skill.  If you're running away from a group in WvW, they're gonna be shooting at you.  I'll pop this skill behind me while I make my getaway to ensure I can't be crippled.

When it comes to shouts, I really only like 2 of them - Retreat and Save Yourselves.  Stand Your Ground is a bit too situational, and the retaliation from Hold The Line isn't gonna do you much good from hard-hitting bosses or a zerg in WvW.

I normally stick with Retreat because it's great for travelling the map, but also it's good for speed buffing your allies and granting aegis, which blocks an attack.  When Virtue of Courage is down, I'll pop this sucker.  And when you're outnumbered and want to get away, this shout can't be beat.  Plus, with Pure of Voice traited, you convert a condition to a boon - perfect for when you're crippled and wanna run away, lol.  This and Symbol of Swiftness gives you a lot of mobility and group utility.

Don't make the mistake of thinking "Retreat" is only for running away.  The fact that it grants Aegis and removes a condition makes it a healing skill.  Granting up to 5 allies a free block and a condition removal is huge.  Use this whenever you can in conjunction with Virtue of Courage.  The speed buff also helps in chasing down fleeing enemies.

Save Yourselves is really great for boss battles and 1v1 or 2v1.  It gives you every boon known to man for 12 seconds, which is FOREVER in a fight.  The added Fury and Might means you can melt faces with this build, and stack the might buffs from Empower on top of that, and you are in true BEAST MODE.  It also removes conditions from your allies who are affected by it (that includes you).  I try to use this whenever it's off cooldown.

Of course, with this build, all shouts are viable, so if you prefer one over the other, any can be used.  But in my experience, these are the two I'll ever really need.

I like Tome of Wrath when I'm defending a keep or tower, or in a boss battle in a dungeon.  Pop Shield of Wrath before you activate it and you're protected for the start of your #5 ultimate.  This is good to use in choke point battles as well.  I'll switch this out for Tome of Courage when I need to.  Usually choke point battles are where the Tome of Courage's healing is the most useful, or when your team agros a bunch of mobs.  I find Renewed Focus is a pretty underwhelming Elite skill and never use it.  It offers no real utility to your allies, and it roots you while you use it.  Not my cup o' tea.

Okay guys, that's my "Ultra Guardian" build for you.  Please please PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE offer suggestions to improve and fine tune it.  I'm having a blast playing this build and would love for the community to participate with feedback.  Thanks for reading my massive wall of text.  I hope it was time well spent.  :-)

Edit/Changes to build as of 10/21/12:

After more testing, we've come up with some interesting changes to the build that are worth trying out.

1.  Swap out "Right Handed Strength" with "Perfect Inscriptions" for the 30 pt Radiance Grandmaster trait.  Though you lose the 15% boost to crit rate for scepter, this improves the passive affects of your Signets dramatically.  With signet of Judgement, you'll take 20% less damage, and with Bane Signet, you'll add +200 power to your attacks.  This is a good idea if you are not equipping a one handed weapon in this build.

2.  Change Pure of Voice in the 30 pt. line of Honor to Writ of the Merciful.  This gives you a pretty reliable heal-over-time when using Symbol of Swiftness.  Plus, if you choose to use a Greatsword instead of the Scepter/Shield combo, Symbol of Wrath also gets the Heal-Over-Time ability.  This will give us a self-heal and helps give those who liked the Empowering Might + Altruistic Healing builds a source of self-healing and increased survivability.  It is far superior to the Pure of Voice trait in my testing.

3.  Swapping out the 6/6 Runes of Divinity for 6/6 Runes of the Pack seems to work well, because that will give you a boost in both power and Precision, upping your attack damage and crit rate.  However, you do lose some health and crit damage in doing this.  The bright side is that runes of the pack are much cheaper, and you get increased swiftness duration (which is useful with symbol of swiftness, especially in WvW).  Plus, you get a 5% chance to buff yourself and your teammates while attacking, so you add a bit extra utility to the build.

4.  To dramatically increase your Crit Rate, you'll want to work a Sigil of Perception into your weapons set for an increase in 10% crit chance with a full 25 stack.  The best way I've found to do this is to apply a Sigil of Superior Accuracy to your Staff and Scepter, and a Sigil of Superior Perception to your focus.  If you're using a greatsword instead of the scepter/focus combo, put the Perception Sigil on the weapon you use less, and the Accuracy sigil on the weapon you use more.

5.  For more fine-tuning of your armor and stats, you can forego runes and use Orbs to upgrade your armor.  This is a far cheaper solution to runes, plus it allows you to fine tune what stats you get more, however you miss out on bonuses and don't get as high of a stat bump on certain areas as you would with runes.

I found that applying 5 Emerald Orbs will give you 100 Precision, 70 Toughness, and 70 Power.  For the 6th armor piece, you'll want to apply a Beryl Orb, which gives you +20 Power, +2% crit damage, and +14 Vitality.

This will bring you to a base crit of 41%, but an enhanced crit rate of 56% with the sigils of Perception and Accuracy applied.  This also ups your armor to 2,197, and increases your health to a comfortable 17,095 HP.  

If you want to increase crit and crit damage, you can also use Ruby Orbs in the mix.  I think the key with this combination is you get to that magic "17K" Hp number which seems to be the sweet spot for Guardian Survivability, while also getting a dramatic boost to crit chance.

6.  After a great deal of testing (and Gold), I've found the optimal upgrade combination for your armor stats for this build.  The sweet spot seems to be with 3 Superior Runes of Divinity + 3 Emerald Orbs.  This gives you the best all-around stat increase without affecting your crit chance.  This does not give you any boons/bonuses, but it does pad all your stats to the maximum effective level for what we are striving for in this build (High DPS + Good Survivability).  For more of the breakdown on the testing for this, please read my post on page 2 of this thread.

Edited by Ultramatum, 06 May 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#2 maniacshoter

maniacshoter

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Guild Tag:[UL]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

it seems very viable to use , specially on a defensive situation on WvW  , i use a GS / scepter and shield  , and my build is almost the same u use, and yeah GS is really underwhelming , i'll check this out and see how it goes in action.

thanks for sharing the build.

#3 Razandor Persana

Razandor Persana

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • Guild Tag:[OnS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Very well done guide, I am defiantly going to try it.  Course hitting myself right now destroyed my exotic Berserker to make a exotic Cleric set lol!

#4 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thanks.  Been testing out this build more in WvW today and was racking up the kills.  The staff's AOE damage is really helpful for those big Zerg situations where tons of people are gonna get hit by your attack.

The one thing I wish I could do with this build is increase my boon durations without affecting my DPS,  I've been looking at the Superior Rune of the Pack, which gives some great Bonuses - increased power, swiftness duration increase, group buffs, as well as 100 Precision. But I'm worried about the hit I'd take to Crit Damage and vitality.  I might be able to make this up by swapping out a ring or something.  Not sure yet.

I also noticed that in World v. World, depending on how well your server is doing, you can easily get close to 20,000 HP with this build due to server-wide buffs.  Right now on Isle of Janthir, with 3% health increase bonus, I'm at close to 19,000 HP, with increases to both power and precision as well, which is super nice.

My first armor set was Cleric, and I didn't care for it at all.  I went with a full Altruistic Healing/Empowering Might self-heal group buff build.  I enjoyed it for a while, but found it lacking in solo play and world v world.  In dungeons it was just okay.  Also went the Knight's route but as I said, Toughness isn't as good as Vitality to me, so I felt like that build was lacking.

#5 QuackzMcDuck

QuackzMcDuck

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostUltramatum, on 13 October 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

I've hit up to 10 mobs at once for 1k a hit with this build.
I might be mistaken, but can't you only hit five targets at once with the staff's auto-attack?

#6 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostQuackzMcDuck, on 14 October 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

I might be mistaken, but can't you only hit five targets at once with the staff's auto-attack?

Yes, you are correct sir.  I was embellishing a tad.  But I move around so much in combat that it feels like I'm hitting 10 enemies when the numbers start flying around the screen, lol.  Plus, if you are spamming orb of light along with the auto attack, you'll be hitting more than just 5 people.

#7 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

It would be good if you had a substitute for Superior Runes of Divinity - that's all I can say. Not-so-Immersed players such as myself might have difficulty getting those.

Aside from that, I just think some of your traits are underused. I only use Two-Handed Mastery if I'm decked out in pure 2H weapons. I could easily replace that with Empowering Might to stack Might. Too bad you're not using Altruistic Healing, though. I would also recommend using Master of Consecration over Consecrated Ground, as WoR works easy without the ground targeting.

Also, I would go for Valkyrie weapons instead so you have another source of Vitality. And as far as Sigils are concerned I also find Superior Sigil of Rage to be a fantastic option as well.

Aside from that, I thing this one is worth a try, amazing even. Would you think this will work with a Knight's Armor instead?

Edited by jpg1, 15 October 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#8 Cebbar

Cebbar

Available in Strawberry!

• Site Contributors
  • 224 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSCC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

View Postjpg1, on 15 October 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

It would be good if you had a substitute for Superior Runes of Divinity - that's all I can say. Not-so-Immersed players such as myself might have difficulty getting those.
I don't like Divinity Runes either.  I'm not sure if I'm wrong about it, they just feel like they're going to be the new GW1 "Sundering" upgrade.  Everyone uses it but noone knows why.  It affects everything so it must be good.

He seems to be implying that high precision and crit damage are fairly key to this build so unfortunately alternatives like Rune of the Eagle are also very expensive.  You could look at Crit Damage runes too, I see there is a Rune of Air that shouldn't be so expensive.  Lacks boosting a lot of stats but buffs your swiftness from the symbol and Retreat quite a lot.  Might not be useful, I'm just thinking out loud.

Aside from that, I just think some of your traits are underused. I only use Two-Handed Mastery if I'm decked out in pure 2H weapons.
I use two-handed mastery with a Greatsword and Mainhand + Offhand in dungeons.  Because I use the Greatsword 80%-90% of the time, I feel I get enough use out of it.  I suppose if he uses the staff similarly then it's fine.

---

I wanted to complain as soon as I saw this build involved a staff, but I kept reading.  Hmm, every part of me wants to hate it, just because of the staff, and the fact I've only ever seen one good staff-wielding Guardian ever, but I can't find much of a reason to.

My query is this though - other than when you're stood behind a gate spamming your conal attack do you not feel like you're not very instrumental in creating most of the kills?

I expect if you're running to the zerg on your own you just keep up swiftness so any enemies you meet can't attack you?  I imagine it's very hard to take down enemies 1v1 or 1v2 with this since that kind of damage isn't too hard to out-heal/evade?  Not sure I could justify re-gearing myself just to try this build in order to stand in the zerg and spam AoEs really.  I always saw a WvW Guardian's job as an initiator.  Someone to move forward, maybe pull some people back, or give your server the confidence to roll forward given you have the ability to take a fair few hits and soak up some of the opponent's damage.  I always found myself more useful in zergs when I did this.  When I moved forward and took some damage, suddenly the rest of my server came to life and moved forward also.

I digress.

Well you gave me a fresh perspective on staff.  I've been wanting to try using it again for a while but never got around to it, I just can't see myself wanting to call myself a damagey-profession while I wield a staff.  When it comes to PvE (since you say this Build is decent for PvE as well as WvW) If you can get foes in the right place you can hit multiple foes with greatsword #1 attack also and ... again hit for 1k damage per hit, with 3-4k on Whirling Wrath.  You're also in melee range to keep using VoJ for those traited AoE blinds.

As a final note, Empower is one of my favourite staff skills.  You seem to imply you mainly use it before entering a fight to give yourself Might?  Also you say you can use it to "quickly" heal allies.  It's a few seconds to cast this to get the heal at the end.  That's not as quick as Virtue of Resolve, which is instant.

Just a few thoughts, sorry if they seem overly critical.

#9 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Aside from that, I just think some of your traits are underused. I only use Two-Handed Mastery if I'm decked out in pure 2H weapons. I could easily replace that with Empowering Might to stack Might. Too bad you're not using Altruistic Healing, though. I would also recommend using Master of Consecration over Consecrated Ground, as WoR works easy without the ground targeting.

Also, I would go for Valkyrie weapons instead so you have another source of Vitality. And as far as Sigils are concerned I also find Superior Sigil of Rage to be a fantastic option as well.

Aside from that, I thing this one is worth a try, amazing even. Would you think this will work with a Knight's Armor instead?

Thanks for the input.  I've tested out a Knights armor build and it's inferior to the Berzerker armor.  The Toughness on the Kinght's armor is just a waste since to me, Vitality is more important, so you get more bang for your buck with the Power/Precision/Crit Damage combo.

I was thinking that if you went with Superior Runes of the Pack, that might be a good substitute.  That would give you 90 power, 100 precision, and a 5% chance to buff allies while attacking.  This means you could make up the lost 60 points in vitality on an accessory, though you will be losing out on 12% increase in crit damage.

As for the traits, believe it or not, I disagree that they're underutilized.  Even though you're running with just 1 two-handed weapon, the increased cooldown on it is very noticable and gives you a huge increase in DPS.  Plus, with the #4 skill on staff, I constantly buff myself with up to 15 stacks of might, which way outshines the "Empowering Might" trait in my opinion.  Also, I feel Altruistic Healing isn't all that great.  I ran with an AH/EM build while I was leveling, and didn't like it much, and I felt it fell really short in dungeons and WvW play.  The increased health pool of this build negates the relatively weak healing power of Altruistic Healing, so you really don't miss it at all.

My maximized support build used both Master of Consecration and Consecrated Ground, however, for this build, Consecrated Ground is far superior.  The reason for this is that in WvW and Dungeons, the versalitily of being able to target where your WoR lands is vital.  In WvW situations where movement and position is constantly changing, this is the far superior trait.  I can place it in front of my allies, target it on top of keeps being held by enemies, drop it in front of gates being seiged from above, and most of all, it's a life saver being able to target this skill behind me while escaping from an enemy zerg.  In all my testing, this skill is pretty much invaluable for my playstyle.  And honestly, the increased cooldown time and up-time on the consecrations isn't that noticable.

As for your suggestion of a Valkyrie weapon, the problem here is that you need a high crit chance with this build to maximize damage.  The health I have is large enough to keep me up in heavy battles, but it's getting close to 50% crit rate that's important for killing things faster.  However, if you go with a Valkyrie weapon you might be able to make up for it with the Superior Rune of the Pack 6/6 combo, since that will give you 90 power and 100 precision.  I'll have to play around with that and see what I can come up with.

Edited by Ultramatum, 15 October 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#10 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostCebbar, on 15 October 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

I don't like Divinity Runes either.  I'm not sure if I'm wrong about it, they just feel like they're going to be the new GW1 "Sundering" upgrade.  Everyone uses it but noone knows why.  It affects everything so it must be good.

He seems to be implying that high precision and crit damage are fairly key to this build so unfortunately alternatives like Rune of the Eagle are also very expensive.  You could look at Crit Damage runes too, I see there is a Rune of Air that shouldn't be so expensive.  Lacks boosting a lot of stats but buffs your swiftness from the symbol and Retreat quite a lot.  Might not be useful, I'm just thinking out loud.

I use two-handed mastery with a Greatsword and Mainhand + Offhand in dungeons.  Because I use the Greatsword 80%-90% of the time, I feel I get enough use out of it.  I suppose if he uses the staff similarly then it's fine.

---

I wanted to complain as soon as I saw this build involved a staff, but I kept reading.  Hmm, every part of me wants to hate it, just because of the staff, and the fact I've only ever seen one good staff-wielding Guardian ever, but I can't find much of a reason to.

My query is this though - other than when you're stood behind a gate spamming your conal attack do you not feel like you're not very instrumental in creating most of the kills?

I expect if you're running to the zerg on your own you just keep up swiftness so any enemies you meet can't attack you?  I imagine it's very hard to take down enemies 1v1 or 1v2 with this since that kind of damage isn't too hard to out-heal/evade?  Not sure I could justify re-gearing myself just to try this build in order to stand in the zerg and spam AoEs really.  I always saw a WvW Guardian's job as an initiator.  Someone to move forward, maybe pull some people back, or give your server the confidence to roll forward given you have the ability to take a fair few hits and soak up some of the opponent's damage.  I always found myself more useful in zergs when I did this.  When I moved forward and took some damage, suddenly the rest of my server came to life and moved forward also.

I digress.

Well you gave me a fresh perspective on staff.  I've been wanting to try using it again for a while but never got around to it, I just can't see myself wanting to call myself a damagey-profession while I wield a staff.  When it comes to PvE (since you say this Build is decent for PvE as well as WvW) If you can get foes in the right place you can hit multiple foes with greatsword #1 attack also and ... again hit for 1k damage per hit, with 3-4k on Whirling Wrath.  You're also in melee range to keep using VoJ for those traited AoE blinds.

As a final note, Empower is one of my favourite staff skills.  You seem to imply you mainly use it before entering a fight to give yourself Might?  Also you say you can use it to "quickly" heal allies.  It's a few seconds to cast this to get the heal at the end.  That's not as quick as Virtue of Resolve, which is instant.

Just a few thoughts, sorry if they seem overly critical.

Not at all my friend.  The more critical people are, the more refined the build will become.

I used to be with you on Staff builds.  I used to think Staff was a pretty worthless weapon for the Guardian and spent most of my time with the Greatsword.  Much of this build was tested in PvP, and to my amazement, Staff outshined Greatsword in almost every respect.  In dungeons, this build rules, and in WvW, it's really amazing.

To answer your question, I do feel like I'm instramental in creating kills in wvw in this build, and the loot bags I get from the kills proves it to me.  The great thing about this build is that it allows you to still be supportive to your team/group, while still being a high damage dealer.  This isn't a "jack of all trades/master of none" situation.  You're a DPS guardian with this build, however, you bring far more to the table than a DPS warrior, though not as much as a full support Guardian (however, you also kill way more stuff than a full support Guardian.)

In open battle, I'm able to run up to the front lines and drop WoR while I AOE the crap out of people.  Orb of light crits a ton and hits everything in it's path for 1200 meters.  Symbol of swiftness buffs allies and does DOT to enemies.  Hitting Empower buffs all my nearby allies.  In a dungeon today, I had some guildies talk about how awesome it is to have close to perma 25 stacks of might because I spam Empower whenever it's off cooldown.  In a tower defense situation, I'm constantly buffing the archers around me to increase their damage, and a well placed Wall of Reflection does MASSIVE DPS.  Also, you can switch out signets and concerations for shouts for increased team buffs when you want to.

In 1v1 situations, I can usually win out in any battle because I'm critting like mad, even if I can't stop to use my empower skill.  Swapping over to scepter/focus also gives me Shield of Wrath with can be a real lifesaver against a thief or a warrior.  I can even win 2 on 1 and 3 on 1 situations if the players aren't too skilled because of the staff's AOE ability and heal while dodge trait.  So I do not feel gimped at all with this build.

And I also like leading the charge in WvW.  Popping my Shield of Wrath, I can run up to the front lines, drop Wall of Reflection, and spam away on my attack.  I do it all the time.  It's hella fun.

Empower isn't a quick heal like Virtue of Resolve, but it's a much bigger heal and it hits a lot more people.  But that's just a minor support thing.  The real important part of Empower is the Might buff.  If you're running with good players who are stacking at least 5 might on themselves, you can bump that up to 20 stacks of might with just 1 skill, which is a HUGE thing for increasing group DPS.  In a dungeon today I was stacking so much might on my party we were killing things faster than they could spawn.  Everyone in my group had between 15-25 might on them in every battle.  It was insane.

If you wanna try out this build, head to the Mists and give it a shot in PvP.  Just use the Knight's Amulet for your trinket, but build everything else the same.  You can see how effective it can be.

Edited by Ultramatum, 15 October 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#11 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

So I did a bit more testing today and got some interesting results.

I swapped out my Runes of Divinity (which was quite painful, btw) with 6/6 Runes of the Pack.  This gives +20% swiftness duration, 5% chance to buff allies while attacking, +90 power and +100 Precision.  This gives a boost of 4% to crit chance.

Furthermore, I swapped out my sigil of accuracy on my staff with a superior sigil of Perception, which gives you 10 precision whenever you kill an enemy.  You can get up to 25 stacks of this which last until you die, which gives you a total increase of 250 Precision, which is an increase of 10% crit chance.

With a bowl of Curry Butternut Squash Soup and Artisan Maintenence Oil, you get an additional 11% increase to crit.  This will up the crit rating of this build to 61%.  However, it also lowers your max health to about 16,550, and your crit damage is lowered as well.  However, you're critting like mad.

Hopping into WvW, with all the bonuses my server collected (3 orbs, etc.) my health was at 20,000 HP and a 70% crit chance with 3200 power.  In a 2-on 1 fight I downed a mesmer and necro almost instantly.  It was pretty incredible.

So this seems to be a good adjustment to the build in terms of Crit Chance.  I'm constantly seeing 1K hits with staff autoattack and 2500 crits with orb of light.  When you use Empower + Save Yourselves, the damage gets pretty crazy.  The loss of 600 HP certainly hurts, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle to playing this build.  Plus, you're killing stuff much faster.

#12 Bonja

Bonja

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KZ]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostUltramatum, on 13 October 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Your Armor:

Going full Berzerker armor will buff up your Power, Precision, and Crit Damage stats, making your DPS extremely high. With Berserker weapons, this goes even higher. Equipping 6 Superior Runs of divinity essentially gives you +60 to all stats (for a nice over-all buff) and +12% crit damage, which is awesome. There may be other rune combinations that are superior to this, but so far, this has suited my needs just fine.
i think soldier rune would suit better gives a nice vit boost and toughness but also with 6 a shout removes a condition stacking with 20% shout cooldown and signets its a perfect match in my opinion

#13 Linfang

Linfang

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2362 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

The staff got a bad rep in early beta because it was garbage. Once they changed it in later betas and added empower many did not bother to really try building around it. The auto attack as mentioned is OP behind an enemy gate. You can tear people up including siege  . And the people who are dumb enough to stand at the gate attacking it and not move back get downed and eventually killed, as a bonus whoever comes to try and rez them you can also smoke. You just have to be careful with the aoes they drop on the gates you can get burned and dropped yourself if you are not careful. Also in PVE use the staff auto attack in DE's in big packs of mobs. I circler strave around them pack, enveloping them and tagging all my targets. The bodies sparkling with loot is heartwarming.

Empower works great and I use it as a supplementary heal, and it tops off peoples health. It is good to use if your heal or utilities that heal you are on cooldown. The might speaks volumes. You get a nice 2 birds with one stone with empower because you are beefing up dps and popping off a heal.  5 in virtues gives your resolve a nice heal plus regen. popping them along with the staff and utilities and you will be in great shape.

Line of warding is great if you are good at timing it so you can drop it a foot in front of peoples path, knocking them on their ass at times. They might burn a dodge but that means it is one less dodge they have that you and your allies can take the upper hand advantage of.

I wish toughness had some type of magic resist element to it. I currently have toughness and vitaility but really thats because I am not concrete in a current build yet.

As for the scepter you have a hard time selling it to me in wvw. Granted, 1200 range the auto attack is downright embarassing. Maybe if I am taking out a canon or Oil caudron I might use it, other then that I rather use a sword and shield to counter the projectiles. It can close gaps and shield bubble in corridors is fun.

#14 cesmode

cesmode

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hi, how could i try this for leveling pve? My guardian is 53. I stack power and precision. What shoud i focus on trait wise while they become avail?  Ty

#15 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostLinfang, on 17 October 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

I wish toughness had some type of magic resist element to it.

It doesn't need to be as every skill is considered direct damage with the exception of DoT from Conditions (Poison, Bleeding, and Burning). This is one of the details I love about GW 2, it doesn't bombard people with too much damage types, and resistances respectively. Some might think it makes the damage system a bit shallow but I think it backs up the core driver of the game which is skill-based gameplay.

View Postcesmode, on 17 October 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hi, how could i try this for leveling pve? My guardian is 53. I stack power and precision. What shoud i focus on trait wise while they become avail?  Ty

I would think that you could stop at 15 Radiance and 5 Virtues while you aren't maxed yet. And just dump everything to max Honor first. My reason for this is that at 15 Radiance and 5 Virtues, you have an infinite loop of DPS improvement with Inspired Virtues and Renewed Justice. Without the improvements on your Toughness through Valor, I would think pumping your Vitality first is a priority, as Guardians can be squishy.

Edited by jpg1, 18 October 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#16 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

I've read this build thrice now, and I'm certainly getting more hooked to it. I will probably run CoF or Arah this weekend to get my hands on Berserker Stat Armor pieces from the two dungeons. (Aesthetically speaking, I think the two are just a good match). And I think I will get Runes of the Pack instead of Divinity, as I'm dirt poor.

It's an interesting build really, and I will think that you can easily throw in Greatsword in the mix if you find that Staff isn't your thing. (Or Scepter isn't your thing.) Greatsword will still benefit from the trait selection in Honor, and it still has awesome AoE albeit the cooldowns.

I just like that someone has gone through the pain of really experience Toughness vs Vitality, as I've historically favored Toughness. Good work. Keep it up.

PS: And correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't be +165 Power on Runes of the Pack? (+25 +50 +90). I'm under the impression that Runes are cumulative in nature.

Edited by jpg1, 18 October 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#17 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

View Postcesmode, on 17 October 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

If you're stacking Power and Precision, I'd start with the Honor and Virtues line.  Until you unlock Grandmaster in the trait line, you might want to choose "Writ of the Merciful" instead of "Two Handed Mastery" in Honor because this means Symbol of Swiftness will heal you.  So you can cast it on top of yourself and the mobs you're fighting to give them a DOT and yourself an HOT.  It's a good alternative to the healing you'd get from Altruistic Healing and Empowering Might.  Plus, the added Vitality will make you a bit tankier as you level.

Then I'd follow up with points in Radiance.  And while leveling, you may want to take the "Improved Spirit Weapons" duration in Virtues and have the Spirit Sword to help with your DPS.  The ground targeting of Consecrations isn't really needed until you start doing dungeons and WvW.  And having more uptime on your spirit sword will help your DPS as you level.

View Postjpg1, on 18 October 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

I've read this build thrice now, and I'm certainly getting more hooked to it. I will probably run CoF or Arah this weekend to get my hands on Berserker Stat Armor pieces from the two dungeons. (Aesthetically speaking, I think the two are just a good match). And I think I will get Runes of the Pack instead of Divinity, as I'm dirt poor.

It's an interesting build really, and I will think that you can easily throw in Greatsword in the mix if you find that Staff isn't your thing. (Or Scepter isn't your thing.) Greatsword will still benefit from the trait selection in Honor, and it still has awesome AoE albeit the cooldowns.

I just like that someone has gone through the pain of really experience Toughness vs Vitality, as I've historically favored Toughness. Good work. Keep it up.

PS: And correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't be +165 Power on Runes of the Pack? (+25 +50 +90). I'm under the impression that Runes are cumulative in nature.

You can easily switch out the GS into the build.  Just keep your Scepter/Focus handy for when you need them so you can switch them out if you gotta go ranged.  But there's a lot of good synergy between staff/greatsword.  Just remember to use empower before you engage mobs and laugh at how much damage your GS does.  :-)

I don't think the +stat runes stack.  I think it goes +25, and then +50, and then +90, not 25+50+90.  I wish it worked that way, but I don't think it does.

Edited by Ultramatum, 18 October 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#18 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

I've decided that there should be a slight change in the build.  I've found that changing the 30 pt trait in Honor from Pure of Voice to Writ of the Merciful is a better option, because it gives you a Heal Over Time with Symbol of Swiftness.  This can help offset the loss of healing from Altruistic Healing + Empowering Might.  Just cast Symbol of Swiftness over yourself and you'll get some nice healing in addition to your damage.  This build gives you +300 healing power, so your HOT will tick away for over 100 a tick I think.  If memory serves, it's around 124 a tick?  I'd have to pay more attention next time I use it.

Also, the 20% increase to swiftness duration from runes of the pack is very noticeable   You're able to run a lot longer, and it ends about 2 seconds before Symbol of Swiftness is ready to be reused.  This in conjunction with Retreat makes traveling the map much easier.

Edited by Ultramatum, 18 October 2012 - 04:35 AM.

#19 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just some thoughts I wanted to share.

Given that one can easily get 40% Crit Chance, I would say getting points into Valor instead of Radiance can still be result into a decent Critical Hitting Wrecking Machine.

I'm in favor of the mix of Beserker/Valkyrie/Knight Armor + Knight/Valkyrie Weapons + Trinkets: Trinkets - will be working on that.

Or you could actually just get 6 Superior Runes of Divinity to avoid mixing to many gears.

But I'm currently weighing if 0/0/30/30/10 build is a possible case: The Build

Why?

1) Prowess - The Valor Tree Gives you +30% Additional Critical Damage
2) Retributive Armor - Depending on how many Knight's Weapons or Trinkets you use this could give you a bit more critical chance. (Or swap it for Purity)
3) Altruistic Healing - You will not have as much HP as someone who has Full Valkyrie Trinkets. This will help you stay alive in tight groups. Your Empower Skill (#4) will now be an epic burst Heal.
4) Empowering Might - Have Might and Healing Ticks almost permanently

Also Staff Has Accuracy/ While Focus or Shield Has Perception. It will take longer to Stack 25 with Scepter to kill but it will give you a constant 5% Crit Chance on both Sets this way.

Also I've checked and Runes do stack, at least for the builder we use. So it is +165 Power in Runes of the Pack. (I hope someone can make a builder with Equipment Info already though)

Edited by jpg1, 18 October 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#20 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hey jpg1,

I tested out the 0/0/30/30/10 build with this, and it didn't work all that well for me.  Again, I don't feel the toughness stat is all that good, and you have to trait too far into it for Altruistic Healing.  If you could make that build work with a combo of armor and whatnot though, I'd love to see it.  I just don't see how you could get a high enough crit chance with that build though.

The Superior Sigil of Accuracy on the staff with the Sigil of Perception on the scepter is pure genius though.  Didn't even occur to me.  That's an extra 15% crit right there.  Brilliant!  :-D  

I hope you're right about the runes stacking.  If so, that's pretty awesome, though I haven't been able to find confirmation on that.  I know that Crests stack, and the max stat you can get with those is +120, so getting +165 along with bonuses seems like it would be a bit OP compared to the Crests, which are supposed to let you fine tune your gear as opposed to the Runes.  Is there a reference you can refer to that confirms this?

#21 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostUltramatum, on 18 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Hey jpg1,

I tested out the 0/0/30/30/10 build with this, and it didn't work all that well for me.  Again, I don't feel the toughness stat is all that good, and you have to trait too far into it for Altruistic Healing.  If you could make that build work with a combo of armor and whatnot though, I'd love to see it.  I just don't see how you could get a high enough crit chance with that build though.

The Superior Sigil of Accuracy on the staff with the Sigil of Perception on the scepter is pure genius though.  Didn't even occur to me.  That's an extra 15% crit right there.  Brilliant!  :-D  

I hope you're right about the runes stacking.  If so, that's pretty awesome, though I haven't been able to find confirmation on that.  I know that Crests stack, and the max stat you can get with those is +120, so getting +165 along with bonuses seems like it would be a bit OP compared to the Crests, which are supposed to let you fine tune your gear as opposed to the Runes.  Is there a reference you can refer to that confirms this?

It's not the Toughness I'm gunning for, it's the +30% Critical Damage. If you think that something like 41% Critical Works, I will figure out a combination that will make it happen. With Crest, the trade is that you up 3 different stats with a priority on one of them. Don't forget that bit.

#22 Izokka

Izokka

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostUltramatum, on 18 October 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

If you're stacking Power and Precision, I'd start with the Honor and Virtues line.  Until you unlock Grandmaster in the trait line, you might want to choose "Writ of the Merciful" instead of "Two Handed Mastery" in Honor because this means Symbol of Swiftness will heal you.  So you can cast it on top of yourself and the mobs you're fighting to give them a DOT and yourself an HOT.  It's a good alternative to the healing you'd get from Altruistic Healing and Empowering Might.  Plus, the added Vitality will make you a bit tankier as you level.

Then I'd follow up with points in Radiance.  And while leveling, you may want to take the "Improved Spirit Weapons" duration in Virtues and have the Spirit Sword to help with your DPS.  The ground targeting of Consecrations isn't really needed until you start doing dungeons and WvW.  And having more uptime on your spirit sword will help your DPS as you level.

You can easily switch out the GS into the build.  Just keep your Scepter/Focus handy for when you need them so you can switch them out if you gotta go ranged.  But there's a lot of good synergy between staff/greatsword.  Just remember to use empower before you engage mobs and laugh at how much damage your GS does.  :-)

I don't think the +stat runes stack.  I think it goes +25, and then +50, and then +90, not 25+50+90.  I wish it worked that way, but I don't think it does.

Then superior rune of divinity x6 gives +10 to all stats +12 crit damage

#23 Grimsley

Grimsley

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Great thread, great build.

I'm wondering though, instead of mixing in a Knight trinket with the other Valkyrie gear for extra dps/crit chance, why not choose a Berserker trinket which is the same except it would drop toughness (which we've agreed is not that valuable) for extra crit damage?

#24 Krisa

Krisa

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[PiNK]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

Like this build alot , wish Guardians had more traits designed for staffs, like more dmg or something same with 2hnd hammers lol , but liking this build its cool , just respect my guard w/it and love how the #2 on staff is only down if at all for maybe a tenth of a second if that.

Question i know one of the above guys was saying go down the valor trait line to pick up more toughness and that crit dmg , and i understand you like more vit over more toughness , Maybe drop 10 pts out of Honor and put 10pts into Valor?

Yeah this way you lose the healing power of your symbols , which by all means is nice and helpful in wvw or pve , but if you go the 10 pts in valor , you can pick up +100 toughness +10% crit dmg just for the 10 pts , then having a aegis proc when you hit 50% life and the Retributive Armor converting 5% of your toughness into precision.

I know you use that shout to have the aegis up almost all the time. I mean this would make you a little less healing / support to more offensive , i mean more crit dmg would be nice. By no means have i tested this or even tried it out , just feel staff is great but lacks the hitting power that like teh GS does or even Hammer.. Maybe could just be cause i have crap gear and not runed out or have the best gear lol but just a thought.

http://gw2skills.net...qxWjrGZNLCGEs/A

Edited by Krisa, 18 October 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#25 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostUltramatum, on 18 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Well, as I've mentioned the build calculator we've been using does seem to stack it instead of overriding it every time you add a rune of the same type. For Pack I just tried adding the runes one by one to see the difference:

Base Power at 916:

Adding 1st Rune = 941 Power (+25)
Adding 3rd Rune = 991 Power (+50)
Adding 5th Rune = 1081 Power (+90)

#26 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

So I did another test which seemed to work out okay, though I'm kinda conflicted about a few things.  Hoping the community can help me out with this.

So I replaced the runes on my armor with Orbs, which don't give you any bonuses, but they do allow you to fine tune your stats a bit more.  I applied 5 Emerald Orbs, which gives me 100 Precision, 70 Toughness, and 70 Power.  For the 6th armor piece, I applied a Beryl Orb, which gives me +20 Power, +2% crit damage, and +14 Vitality.

This brings me to a base crit of 41%, but an enhanced crit rate of 56% with the sigils of Perception and Accuracy applied.  This also ups my armor to 2,197, and increases my health to a comfortable 17,095 HP.  However, I lose the +20% swiftness buff, and the chance to buff myself and allies when I attack.  However, I do get a small boost in health, crit damage, and toughness as a trade off.

I've also experimented with swapping out Right Hand Strength with Perfect Inscriptions, which doubles the effectiveness of signets, and swapped out Signet of Judgement with Bane Signet for a +200 boost to attack.  I was taking on groups of mobs in Cursed Shore and just melting them with my staff attacks.  Of course, losing the +15% to scepter's crit chance is a bit tragic, however, 56% crit chance isn't that bad and I tend to use the staff more.

#27 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

View PostUltramatum, on 20 October 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

So I did another test which seemed to work out okay, though I'm kinda conflicted about a few things.  Hoping the community can help me out with this.

So I replaced the runes on my armor with Orbs, which don't give you any bonuses, but they do allow you to fine tune your stats a bit more.  I applied 5 Emerald Orbs, which gives me 100 Precision, 70 Toughness, and 70 Power.  For the 6th armor piece, I applied a Beryl Orb, which gives me +20 Power, +2% crit damage, and +14 Vitality.

This brings me to a base crit of 41%, but an enhanced crit rate of 56% with the sigils of Perception and Accuracy applied.  This also ups my armor to 2,197, and increases my health to a comfortable 17,095 HP.  However, I lose the +20% swiftness buff, and the chance to buff myself and allies when I attack.  However, I do get a small boost in health, crit damage, and toughness as a trade off.

I've also experimented with swapping out Right Hand Strength with Perfect Inscriptions, which doubles the effectiveness of signets, and swapped out Signet of Judgement with Bane Signet for a +200 boost to attack.  I was taking on groups of mobs in Cursed Shore and just melting them with my staff attacks.  Of course, losing the +15% to scepter's crit chance is a bit tragic, however, 56% crit chance isn't that bad and I tend to use the staff more.

Just my 2 cents. Been playing around with this build. Can we not replace the jewels set with Berserker's instead of Valkyrie? This would give us more Crit chance with a huge difference and increased vitality by close to 2k for reduced toughness and healing power. Would appreciate your feedback.

#28 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

View Postphani_kaushik, on 20 October 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

Just my 2 cents. Been playing around with this build. Can we not replace the jewels set with Berserker's instead of Valkyrie? This would give us more Crit chance with a huge difference and increased vitality by close to 2k for reduced toughness and healing power. Would appreciate your feedback.

Hi Phani,

Berserker accessories only give you power/precision/crit damage.  Swapping those out with the Valkyrie would make you a full glass cannon.  I don't know where you're getting the +2,000 vitality from.  If you could be a bit more clear, I could give you more feedback.

The purpose of this build is to balance high DPS with decent survivability.  I personally don't like glass cannon builds because we don't have enough burst to justify it.

#29 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:12 AM

View PostUltramatum, on 20 October 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

Hi Phani,

Berserker accessories only give you power/precision/crit damage.  Swapping those out with the Valkyrie would make you a full glass cannon.  I don't know where you're getting the +2,000 vitality from.  If you could be a bit more clear, I could give you more feedback.

The purpose of this build is to balance high DPS with decent survivability.  I personally don't like glass cannon builds because we don't have enough burst to justify it.

Sorry, I guess the builder I'm using has some bugs (its an iOS app). I recalculated manually and you're right. It seems to add onto existing values instead of recalculating them whenever I change any accessory. So far the build seems gr8. I tried it out in WvW this morning and did notice a good increase in the amount of damage done with decent level of health when against a small number. Gotta try against huge numbers though. Hope one of us can find whatever minor changes can be done to make it more effective and put up the build online (I'm really bad with builds!).

#30 The Trouble With Me

The Trouble With Me

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Guild Tag:[狼子野心]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Seems like the build is evolving over time which is good. However it might be worth taking the fundamentals of the build and seperating skill slots and trait allocation (and maybe upgrade components) between WvW and PvE, since those things can be so easily changed.

EDit: also fyi rune of the pack is majorly bugged, 4) doesn't proc and 3) gives healing power instead.

Edited by The Trouble With Me, 20 October 2012 - 04:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users