#121 Drops

Drops

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NP]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

I'm not saying your build doesn't work, but it is not optimal for anything in particular.

My damage build hits for around 1.5k-2k per attack and 2k-3k crits, every 1/2 second, with a 60%+ crit rate, with 1h sword, or scepter.  Similar damage output with the staff.  The effective power output is well over 5k, without pure damage gear.  Most thing don't survive to see a complete second attack round.  That's what I call damage.  Likewise for tanking, I run a hammer AH build.  And for something between... well I gave that up when I figured out how to dodge nearly all the major attacks, and simply range the rest.

WvW I don't pull those kinds of numbers, since I run a hammer build with PVT gear, running around, controling, distracting, and finishing off anyone on low health.  You can't survive a zergfest with all the ranged damage pouring down on you, so being alive with low damage is way better than being dead with no damage.  Totaly different from my PvE build.

sPvP I run either a bunker build or a tripple meditation damage build, depending on how I feel like.  There's not a single static build I run.

#122 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICoa]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostDrops, on 08 May 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

I'm not saying your build doesn't work, but it is not optimal for anything in particular.

My damage build hits for around 1.5k-2k per attack and 2k-3k crits, every 1/2 second, with a 60%+ crit rate, with 1h sword, or scepter.  Similar damage output with the staff.  The effective power output is well over 5k, without pure damage gear.  Most thing don't survive to see a complete second attack round.  That's what I call damage.  Likewise for tanking, I run a hammer AH build.  And for something between... well I gave that up when I figured out how to dodge nearly all the major attacks, and simply range the rest.

WvW I don't pull those kinds of numbers, since I run a hammer build with PVT gear, running around, controling, distracting, and finishing off anyone on low health.  You can't survive a zergfest with all the ranged damage pouring down on you, so being alive with low damage is way better than being dead with no damage.  Totaly different from my PvE build.

sPvP I run either a bunker build or a tripple meditation damage build, depending on how I feel like.  There's not a single static build I run.

Well, I'd argue that it's optimal for a certain type of player/playstyle.  It isn't meant to be a min/max build though, this was always a build that gave high damage while maintaining good survivability.  The updated build also adds in a bit more utility with condition damage, healing power, and magic find stats that don't gimp your group.  No one in dungeons will ever think you're not pulling your weight with this build.

I'd very much like to see your damage build if you would like to share it.  However, I do not like playing with the hammer, even though I know crithammer builds can dish out some serious damage.  I like my set up because it gives me everything I need to play the way I enjoy.  Again, this isn't a min/max build.  Also, people don't have to carry multiple sets of gear with this build, they can just invest in one set and do pretty much anything in the game without feeling gimped.  Might not suit all playstyles, such as yours, but for people who don't have lots of time/money for gear, investing in one build can be beneficial.

You sound like your skill as a player is probably higher than mine.  I'm not the best PvPer in the world, so this build suits me just fine in WvW.  I also have a PVT build I switch to in WvW, but this one does much better attack damage.  It really depends on what I feel like playing or what my group needs to determine if I switch out my gear.

At the end of the day, people who choose to use this build will enjoy it and will be able to do pretty much anything in the game with it.  It is not a max DPS spec, but the DPS you do is extremely good considering your survivability and utility is rather high as well.  it is a very versitile spec that no one will be sorry for trying out.

#123 Drops

Drops

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NP]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

My default build I use in guild runs, and most pugs is this.  Sometimes I switch to the usual 0/0/30/30/10 AH build with a hammer when asked to tank, but that's not my usual mode.  Add 5 might to it for its usual stack for final calculations and you can see this build hits very hard.

10/30/0/20/10

Usually I swap Bane Signet for Wall of Reflection as needed, and Unscathed Contender in traits for Master of Consecrations at the same time when I need them.

The group tactic is to kill everything asap, before it becomes a problem.  Most of the time, though not all (we're not perfect), it works well, and is very efficient at getting a run through smoothly.  So smoothly that many of my higher end fractal runs feel a lot easier than the level 10 pugs I pop in on just to snag a daily.

My build is clearly very focused, and at this point I use little in the way of defensive gear (essentially, only soldier runes).  Before I used some of my PVT PvP set (HotW equips) to add some defense on the cheap, to slot in some health to about 16k.  I only do that now if I'm in a particularly sluggish PuG group, and need extra defenses to keep in a slow fight of attrition.  Still, with all my armor slots (but not my trinkets) in Soldier stats, the effective power of the build is about 6k.

Most of the gear is pretty cheap too, so it's relatively easy to build up either through tokens or via trading post.

#124 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Your build seems very good for damage output.  I've tried builds such as yours in the past, and just don't like the class cannon aspect of it.  I just die way too much with a build such as yours, and it isn't at all feasable for WvW.

I think people who like to solo and don't like having to swap out multiple types of gear and respect for various situations would still get a lot from my build.  It's very versitile and is able to dish out the punishment while still granting a lot of survivability.  People can also swap out some trait points in other trees as they see fit without seriously gimping themselves either.  Not only can you DPS with this build, but your defense is on par with most other builds, and you have good support and utility built in.  I very much enjoy it.

This is not a build for min/maxers.  But it does everything good enough that for average players, it is probably the best spec they could invest their time into.

#125 Heartsign

Heartsign

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CYN]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

Is this build still solid? I've been using it for a over a week now and I really do like it but the topic was created in this game's infancy.

And now that Ascended Gear is out what pieces are we shooting for? There are so many that I've become overwhelmed trying to choose.

I've eeked out 18k HP with his build. Currently sitting at 42% unbuffed crit chance and 3103 power. I went the 3 Divinity/3 Ruby Orb route and use a staff for mainhand and scepter/focus for my swap. I'm really working hard on getting Bifrost right now because it really feels like this build works.

Again though, the Ascended Gear has me overwhelmed. I took a long break from GW2, came back, and saw so much more gear added to the mix. Any help in that regard.

Love this thread.

#126 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi Heartsign,

Yes, the build is still relevant.  Please refer to the OP where I updated the build with ascended gear layouts.  It should be at the beginning of the post.

#127 Heartsign

Heartsign

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CYN]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostUltramatum, on 16 May 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Hi Heartsign,

Yes, the build is still relevant.  Please refer to the OP where I updated the build with ascended gear layouts.  It should be at the beginning of the post.

Ah. I've been looking. I'll find it eventually as I figured you'd update it with ascended gear.

#128 Ultramatum

Ultramatum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, you can't miss it.  It's right at the beginning.  :-)

#129 Plaimas

Plaimas

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

Very interested in trying out the new updated build. What gear stats do you focus on with it?

#130 Icebrand

Icebrand

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Hi ultra, first things first, your guide was the one that made me decide to play a guardian when i got the game! Good to have you back!!!

Now, IMHO thereĀ“s an alternative (cheaper) gear selection that actually gives better results:

Weapon, Helm, Chest & Pants: PVT (soldier's)
Shoulders, Gloves & Boots: Berserker's
Trinkets: Berserker/Berserker Ascended
Everything with ruby orbs for comparison purposes (but most people will go for lyssas, or monk/sanct/water, or scholar, or whatever)

This loses healing power (only good for main heal and heal roll afaik) and crit chance (you still mostly proc based on internal cd instead of crit rate anyway) to your build, but has:

- Quite a bit more power & EHP
- Slightly More Armor, HP & EHP

Even with a rune set instead of ruby orbs stats are comparable, and you gain the rune bonus(es). Also, you can play around with some armor pieces (for PVP i use soldier weapon and armor and berserker trinkets, with either gloves/boots/shoulders berserker or top and pants knights). I use +boon duration build though, since it works better for me than AH.

PvE i mostly run full berserker with a soldiers weapon and maybe a few pieces because i suck at the game and i need the extra HP!

Anyway, i hope it helps!

#131 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5200 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MOA]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Can you check the traits on the link to the new build?   You have Consecrated Ground chosen but it looks like this build uses all shouts?

Thanks for posting this build!  Looking at the new one it seems like you play a guardian much like how I like to play them.    I was trying to figure out what kind of level 80 ascended gear I should be getting and this guide certainly seems like it would help.

Edited by Doctor Overlord, 15 July 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#132 Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[NOIR]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I was looking for a GS/Scepter-Torch Condition build, I had found what I thought was promising, but it wasn't showing up right in the tool it was posted with, so I had casually checked for other builds the last couple of days. I read your thread and was captivated by the way you described your build and the maturity with which you accepted criticism, along with the willingness to test new ideas and integrate them into your build. All in all I'm sold.

I've invested in a cool looking staff and scepter now and a decent looking focus, though I do wish the one that looks like a shining ball of light was less than 80G... my foggy goblet will suffice. I'm not yet fully accustomed to the build and find myself using the scepter for more since I'm used to it, but I'll get better in time. I've only used it in PVE, as my Guardian is only level 60, but I'll break the ice with WVW soon.

I thank you for taking the time to share this and I'm sure my playing experience will be more rounded because of it. Happy gaming!

#133 guanlongwucaii

guanlongwucaii

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[LOO]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

Condition damage is not reliable on guardians. We only output 1 condition, burning (which is weaker than the 6 stacks of bleed that any half-decent condition class can maintain), and even then only every 5 or 4 hits. Direct damage is far superior to condition damage on a guardian for this reason. Although you do get cond dmg from Radiance, this bonus should only be treated as a little bit of extra damage; guardians should not be gearing for conditions if they want their DPS to remain good.

The 0/30/0/30/10 mentioned in the OP is a very solid skeleton for a DPS build that still allows for good support through shouts and consecrations. However, I do think that a few of his weapon, gear and trait choices are rather more WvW-centric.

Divinity runes are inferior to Ruby Orbs for damage in PvE, and if you are looking to maximise your DPS Scholar Runes are the best choice (while still being half the price of Divinity runes). Staff, while good for the ward, pumping out some might stacks and tagging trash mobs, is a poor main weapon choice in dungeons and PvE. The DPS is just far too low compared to the other weapons (esp. Sword with RHS, GS and Hammer).

Trait-wise you can probably forgo signets completely (Shelter is a more useful heal IMO) and go for Blind Exposure and Powerful Blades. But if you dislike Shelter it's still fine to take Signet Mastery. Inscribed Removal is not as necesssry if you run 3 shouts and use PoV to cleanse conditions anyway. Master of Consecrations is pretty much always better than Consecrated Ground in PvE.

Also, meleeing isn't really hard with this build or any others with Radiance. Just spam VoJ and your weapon blinds and it should go fine.......unless you are fightig Dredge.

Edited by guanlongwucaii, 22 July 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#134 Davy

Davy

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Is there a update since the april patch to ultramatum's great guardian build which I think
we all benefited from? And is he still on?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users