• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#31 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

There should be a sticker on the side.  With the brand and wattage, we can tell you pretty much what you're getting.
If I see you flaming, I'm going to assume you're on fire and put you out.

#32 Sir Elementalcheese

Sir Elementalcheese

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

Unfortunately my case is built like a tank, I ordered it all off Dell while they had a good deal on. It even has rivets in it :(

I suppose there's no way to tell without opening it up then?

#33 chocodiledundee

chocodiledundee

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Could someone tell me if this is any good?

I am going to be using an i5 760 processor with a GTX460 GPU.

#34 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

http://forums.bit-te...ad.php?t=195579

All I could find on them, it's an OCZ without the fulll OCZ warranty.  Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

#35 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Lord Sojar said:

Enermax can't be touched at all by any other company.  The problem is price, and Enermax is in no short supply of high prices.  But, you get what you pay for.  :)

Seasonic (though they don't have any units above 850w) and Delta built PSU's can often give them a run for their money. :)

chocodiledundee said:

Could someone tell me if this is any good?

I am going to be using an i5 760 processor with a GTX460 GPU.

Have you already bought it? Ask Novatech for the proper Model name etc for the PSU.

Edited by Undead, 09 December 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#36 Unreal Warfare

Unreal Warfare

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

What wattage is reccomended for running dual HD5770's in Crossfire? I will also have a AMD 965 BE (4x3.4ghz) and an Antec 900 case (which has four large fans within it).

I ordered a CMPSU-850TXUK at 850w. Is that more than enough? or will I need higher if I want to add more stuff later?

#37 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

Unreal Warfare said:

What wattage is reccomended for running dual HD5770's in Crossfire? I will also have a AMD 965 BE (4x3.4ghz) and an Antec 900 case (which has four large fans within it).

I ordered a CMPSU-850TXUK at 850w. Is that more than enough? or will I need higher if I want to add more stuff later?
Thats plenty.  A pair of 5770s only needs 500 or 550W with good 12V rail amperage.

#38 Unreal Warfare

Unreal Warfare

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

dhatcher1 said:

Thats plenty.  A pair of 5770s only needs 500 or 550W with good 12V rail amperage.

Thanks. Would I start running into any issues if I installed higher spec GPUs on my crossfire board?

#39 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Unreal Warfare said:

Thanks. Would I start running into any issues if I installed higher spec GPUs on my crossfire board?

You can run upto two GTX 480/580's on an 850w so you would be fine unless you want to run three or four GPU's. You probably should have gotten a different PSU though,although the Corsair is fine, there's cheaper and better options.

#40 Unreal Warfare

Unreal Warfare

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

It didn't cost me that much in the first place to be honest.

As long as it does the job it will do for now until I look into more high quality options next year.

#41 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Unreal Warfare said:

It didn't cost me that much in the first place to be honest.

As long as it does the job it will do for now until I look into more high quality options next year.

Honestly, that power supply should last you at least 5 years...  you don't need anything higher quality or higher power next year.

You could power dual GTX 480s with that... and the 480 was absolutely terrible when it came to power consumption.  You could probably power 3 GTX 580s with that PSU and not have any issues, but that would be pushing it to its limit.  

The point is... tri SLi or Crossfire setups are a waste of money.   You can power any 2 GPUs in the world with absolutely no issues.  In addition, you will be able to power ANY GPU that will release from now until 2014, guaranteed.

#42 Unreal Warfare

Unreal Warfare

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:53 PM

What I meant by higher quality was other parts, more than the PSU, like graphics cards and CPU's. I missed out on getting a Phenom II x6 1090T BE (I think it's a BE anyway) due to my budget so I'll probably be investing in one of those next year (they'll be cheaper then too) along with GPUs of better performance to go on my current Crossfire board. :p

I'm not in a massive rush to go out and buy stuff, I think what I've got is more than adequate for what I want it to do, I am however thinking more towards making sure that I can just throw some extra stuff in here and there without running into massive difficulty should I want to.

It's reassuring however to know that 850w will cover pretty much anything I want to throw on my current board though. Especially after blowing a few PSU's in the past haha.

#43 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:33 AM

You won't need to change your PSU if you're upgrading your CPU or anything else, just if you want to use three power hungry GPU's.

#44 Unreal Warfare

Unreal Warfare

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:06 PM

Undead Cheese said:

You won't need to change your PSU if you're upgrading your CPU or anything else, just if you want to use three power hungry GPU's.

I think dual will do me for now. Lol.

Thanks for the info guys.

#45 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

For anyone interested here is the low down on the CX430. Note that there is no load testing or anything in this review, just a direct comparison of internal components.

http://www.realhardt...s/Page17610.htm

Would of been half decent (though not quite as good as the CX400) if they had some more heatsinks and used better caps.

Edited by Undead, 19 December 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#46 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Jonny Gerow reviewed the CX430 today: http://www.jonnyguru...=Story&reid=214

It performed a little better than I expected on the load testing.... however it is still not as good as the CX400, it was only tested at 30c, and it is still not a 430w PSU by todays standards due to the 12v capacity.

It's a good 380w.

Edited by Undead, 04 January 2011 - 10:47 PM.

#47 Flixified

Flixified

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

Also this might help a few people:

http://extreme.outer...culatorlite.jsp

Will calculate a rough estimate of how much power your system is going to use.

#48 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

Flixified said:

Also this might help a few people:

http://extreme.outer...culatorlite.jsp

Will calculate a rough estimate of how much power your system is going to use.

PSU calculators for the most part are incorrect.

#49 jesh462

jesh462

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new psu since I upgraded the rest of my computer. I will be running a single card for video, and I never spend more than 200 on one if that tells you anything. Most likely a geforce 460 1gb or something for now and upgrade when gw2 comes out.
The processor is an x3 unlocked to 4 cores and overclocked to 3.8ghz. I only use a single sata hd and a single optical drive. There are 3 case fans, 2x 120 and 1x 140mm that will also be in use as well as a 140mm on the cpu.

Any ideas what wattage I should be looking at? Last time I went with enermax and didn't regret it, but I'd like to spend as little money as possible this time. Thanks for any suggestions.   :D

#50 shyerra hall

shyerra hall

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

jesh462 said:

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new psu since I upgraded the rest of my computer. I will be running a single card for video, and I never spend more than 200 on one if that tells you anything. Most likely a geforce 460 1gb or something for now and upgrade when gw2 comes out.
The processor is an x3 unlocked to 4 cores and overclocked to 3.8ghz. I only use a single sata hd and a single optical drive. There are 3 case fans, 2x 120 and 1x 140mm that will also be in use as well as a 140mm on the cpu.

Any ideas what wattage I should be looking at? Last time I went with enermax and didn't regret it, but I'd like to spend as little money as possible this time. Thanks for any suggestions.   :D

http://www.newegg.co...1-094-_-Product

#51 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

shyerra hall said:

Or if that one goes off sale, this one
http://www.newegg.co...=N82E1681737103

Undead Cheese said:

PSU calculators for the most part are incorrect.
Its easy to underestimate by forgetting components or the capacitor aging.
The free ones dont distinguish 12V rail wattage vs. total wattage.

Any other problems you experience with them?

Edited by dhatcher1, 19 January 2011 - 10:39 PM.

#52 jesh462

jesh462

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

Wow thanks for the fast replies guys! :eek:
I'll order that seasonic right away. I'm very grateful. <3

#53 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Good choice on the S12II-520.

@dhatcher Cap aging has become less and less apparent with modern PSU's.

#54 jesh462

jesh462

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Well it looks like it went off sale and I missed it. Also I read that the PCIe cables aren't modular, and this will be a mini atx case, so it might not have been the best choice. Any other opinions? Is 550ish watts enough if I upgrade to a higher end card later on?

#55 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

500-550w will the able to power any single GPU rig. Is there any reason why you still cant get the S12II-520?, it's still in stock for $60 at newegg. If you want the modular version you can get the M12II-520.

-------------------------------

For anyone this may interest, Superflower (NZXT PSU's use them) have released a new Platinum efficiency PSU which is outstanding. Best 550w on the market currently. 25mV on the +12v rail, voltage regulation inside 1%. Only 45mV on the ripple when it's overloaded to 700w.

http://translate.goo...24/624969.shtml (excuse the bad translation)

Edited by Undead, 23 January 2011 - 12:04 AM.

#56 jesh462

jesh462

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

I thought the original linked was modular for some reason. Searching on newegg later I saw the modular one and thought it went off sale. :(  *retarded*

But yeah I need a modular psu. I was also looking at the silverstone strider plus 500w on newegg. I'm not sure if I'd be happy with anything but seasonic at this point, however.

#57 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

The Seasonic M12II-520 is $77 which is a good price, it's superior to the Strider Plus aswell.

#58 jesh462

jesh462

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

Cool it went on sale! I was looking for something below $90 and that discount did it for me. Ok it's shipping now.   :D

*does a little dance*  Thanks Undead!
Finally I can stop using public computers.

#59 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

Just a heads up, I'll be getting a new rev of the Ultra X4 1kW across my bench for review in short order, anyone got a specific test for me to hit it with?  I'll have the review work first, but I'll indulge what I can afterwards time permitting...

#60 Sir Elementalcheese

Sir Elementalcheese

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hey guys,
I've just opened my pc for the first time ever :eek: and noticed I have a 350w psu. It's running a quadcore i7 processor and a geforce gtx 460 graphics card. Do I need to upgrade it? There's probably useful information that I missed out it, sorry. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know, I'm a complete noob when it comes to these things :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users