• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61 BrotatoSoup

BrotatoSoup

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have been following this guide for a while and I am really enjoying the Sword+Dagger playstyle. I have a quick question though. What crit chance should I aim for?

I am currently wearing full Berserker's armor+weapons with Valkyrie trinkets+jewels. Although the extra vit has considerably boosted my survivability, it was at the expense of a lower crit chance (around 44% I believe).

I can plan around my runes (Eagle/Ranger), sigils (Accuracy) and consumables to boost my precision. But I want to know if there's a sweet spot/minimum figure I can strive for.

#62 Shatteredz

Shatteredz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostBrotatoSoup, on 08 November 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

I have been following this guide for a while and I am really enjoying the Sword+Dagger playstyle. I have a quick question though. What crit chance should I aim for?

I am currently wearing full Berserker's armor+weapons with Valkyrie trinkets+jewels. Although the extra vit has considerably boosted my survivability, it was at the expense of a lower crit chance (around 44% I believe).

I can plan around my runes (Eagle/Ranger), sigils (Accuracy) and consumables to boost my precision. But I want to know if there's a sweet spot/minimum figure I can strive for.

Personally i got 49%(berserker jewels, toughness+vit+power boots+head+shoulders+weapons, berserker body+legs+hands).
After 49% precision gets less effective(at least, what I have heard, not sure) and 49% is a good crit chance for me. Also, I use rune of the thief, but thats more because of a lack of money.

So i would say ~50% is good to aim for. You always have 5% more crit above 90%hp, and 7% when flanking/behind, along with the random fury buff, you will be hitting and critting like a trick with still a decent amount of survivability.

#63 skuko

skuko

Asuran Acolyte

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

i'm using s/d for leveling my thief alt (just for the sake of learning the skill patterns for later pvp) - so far level 22 and it's quite good with the daze lockdown and aoe sword autoattack.

#64 BrotatoSoup

BrotatoSoup

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostShatteredz, on 08 November 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Personally i got 49%(berserker jewels, toughness+vit+power boots+head+shoulders+weapons, berserker body+legs+hands).
After 49% precision gets less effective(at least, what I have heard, not sure) and 49% is a good crit chance for me. Also, I use rune of the thief, but thats more because of a lack of money.

So i would say ~50% is good to aim for. You always have 5% more crit above 90%hp, and 7% when flanking/behind, along with the random fury buff, you will be hitting and critting like a trick with still a decent amount of survivability.

Thanks! I'll try to change my rune set to bump my crit chance a bit. I'm only using Ruby Orbs at the moment since I can't afford the Scholar runes.

#65 EDYAN

EDYAN

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostShatteredz, on 08 November 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

Whats your HP and Toughness with your gear?

#66 Exylia

Exylia

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Is it worth to use a full berserker's set if the crit dmg cap is 80? (from equip)
Isn't it better to stack other stats like vit\tough?

#67 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Tsym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostExylia, on 10 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

Is it worth to use a full berserker's set if the crit dmg cap is 80? (from equip)

Every single piece of berserker's gear provides a benefit to crit damage.

#68 EDYAN

EDYAN

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostExylia, on 10 November 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

There's a crit DMG cap?

#69 Exylia

Exylia

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostKutsus, on 10 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Every single piece of berserker's gear provides a benefit to crit damage.

Isnt it capped to 134%? (84 from items)

View PostEDYAN, on 10 November 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

There's a crit DMG cap?

i think yes..

#70 Mursie

Mursie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

so the final build i chose was 10/30/15/15/0

the extra stealth second and the reduced cnd cost i felt was worth it for the 15 points in DA.  I thought at one point u were trying this.  thoughts?

#71 Shatteredz

Shatteredz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostEDYAN, on 10 November 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

Whats your HP and Toughness with your gear?

14,4k hp, 2,2k armor, 1,1k toughness

#72 Engel Jorgenson

Engel Jorgenson

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GNS]
  • Server:Vizunah Square

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'm using something very similar actually and it does wonder in both PvE and WvW. Tough I always keep my bag opened on the right side of my screen and often switch weapons depending of the situation. A build like this is good for roaming but I found it excels in big zergs. I'm very glassy but I dodge and kite a lot so no particular problem. I've read some of you are in the guild Ruin. Lol, ... we are on the same battleground actually. I'm on Vizunah and my character's name is Astrid Ferguson. Maybe we will cross daggers ^^.

Edited by Engel Jorgenson, 15 November 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#73 Glavius

Glavius

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

How viable is Sword/Dagger after the 50% "dancing dagger" nerf?

#74 Vexd

Vexd

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

omg this helped me so much!

Before i was running around with 30 in Deadly Arts and Critical Strikes, 10 in Shadow Arts to get the blinding powder on low HP, but the whole time i was like "wish i could dodge more"

then it just clicked, after reading this, going 15 into Acrobatics and using the food buff means you can dodge more AND i get more power from the stacks of might AND condition damage so im dodging more, getting speed buff, AND i do mroe damage than i was before!

cheers! xD

#75 Glavius

Glavius

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm having some trouble vs. veteran mobs with this build. Is it me sucking, or is the build abit weak for that?

#76 Scarnah

Scarnah

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostGlavius, on 26 November 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

I'm having some trouble vs. veteran mobs with this build. Is it me sucking, or is the build abit weak for that?

It depends on the specifics of your build.  The strategy oh how you actually play depends pretty much on how you allocated the 30 points that go into Shadow Arts and Acrobatics.  I've been running 30 in Shadow Arts and have no trouble with veterans by going into stealth whenever I can.

I plan on switching to 15 Shadow Arts and 15 Acrobatics, however, which I anticipate will give me the ability to both dodge and stealth frequently.  Don't forget about the evade on both sword and shortbow #3.  

Having full exotics and getting the timing on evading right helps a ton also.

#77 Taleon

Taleon

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Drow]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Any one have some confirmation on this Crit Dmg cap ?
If so I would like to see some information it..

As for my build, I run a number of different variations from 10/30/15/15/0 to 0/30/25/15/0 to a 0/30/20/20/0 and others in between :P
Each are more dependent on what my role is going to be in Wv3 that night.  SB is always used, and normally S/D but on occasions D/D.  Again, it all depends on what is expected out of me each night.

#78 erick5876

erick5876

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this build. It is everything I have been looking for. Just about everything I had read before recommended S/P or D/D with 30 in Deadly Arts & Crit Strikes, and 5 in Trickery. While it worked well for SPVP, but I felt it lacking in WvW. I have found that your build works rather well in most situations. You are billing it as a Solo / Roamer, but I find it's rather useful in group fights also. As usual with this class, it's all about tactics and understanding your role. Before, in group fights I was basically reduced to a combat medic & used the short bow for everything unless I happened to get a single target away from the main group. Now, I find myself actively selecting specific targets in the opposing group, and I'm not afraid to wade right in. All the dodges & shadow steps make it real easy to get out. It's also really easy to walk around the perimeter of a battle, and pick off anyone trying to run or heal. It's the perfect skirmisher for taking camps or smaller group fights, which I find way more enjoyable than the zerg anyway. So, thanks again!

#79 funkybudda

funkybudda

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

I also fell in love with the S/D build with this thread, however I cant seem to reproduce the damage numbers showcased in OP's video. I am not using runes of scholars, maybe that's the main reason. I am currently in all beserker gears with divinity. In the video he seems to always crit  for 4k to 6k, my highest numbers are in the 4k to 5k range mostly. Maybe it's just a highlight reel :)

#80 Asparagus Reflex

Asparagus Reflex

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I love the "slightly more tanky s/d build. However, I have 2 questions:

1. Is this build still viable (the build was written a while ago)
2. Could you use pistol/pistol instead of the shortbow or would that take away some survivablity?

#81 Blaidez

Blaidez

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

With all the nerfs  and updates I'm wondering if the information in the OP is still up to date? Also I'm having some trouble understanding the gear break down; for optimal survivability and crits would making all gear pieces numbered under 13 be berserker and gear over 13 soldier be the way to go? I don't want to waste time and gold getting it unless I know it's what I want. I'm primarily a d/d and sb Thief focusing on WvW. I most enjoy running solo or with a couple of people to disrupt supply lines and camps. Hoping you could post your thoughts on this. Thanks

Edited by Blaidez, 30 January 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#82 Yamirashi

Yamirashi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I believe the OP has quit playing, or at least quit posting here.

I ran this build for a while with a Knight/Valk mix, switched to a Carrion/Rabid mix P/D build, then full Carrion and then quit my thief. Leveled a Guardian then switched to Necro then back to Guardian. Just in the past week came back to my thief and started gearing him up again this time with Berserker/Soldier and I can say DON'T GO KNIGHT/VALK. The difference in Power alone makes this build work so much better.

For the gear question:

Helm, Legs, Rings
Chest
Accessories
--------------------------------
Amulet, Weapons
Shoulders, Gloves, Boots
Jewels

That's your basic split if you want to go half and half... Top side is Soldier and bottom is Berserker. If you want to go more Damage move the line up, if you want more survival move the line down.

That's where I recommend starting if you're starting from scratch. If you're already full Berserker just put the line at the top and move it down till you get the survival you want. If you're for some reason full Soldier (much less common) you can start the the line at the bottom and work your way up till you have the dmg you want.

I would personally recommend at some point working up a full set of both, then you can move the line up and down on the fly for the situation.

Edited by Yamirashi, 25 February 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#83 Quack530

Quack530

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostYamirashi, on 25 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

I believe the OP has quit playing, or at least quit posting here.

I ran this build for a while with a Knight/Valk mix, switched to a Carrion/Rabid mix P/D build, then full Carrion and then quit my thief. Leveled a Guardian then switched to Necro then back to Guardian. Just in the past week came back to my thief and started gearing him up again this time with Berserker/Soldier and I can say DON'T GO KNIGHT/VALK. The difference in Power alone makes this build work so much better.

For the gear question:

Helm, Legs, Rings
Chest
Accessories
--------------------------------
Amulet, Weapons
Shoulders, Gloves, Boots
Jewels

That's your basic split if you want to go half and half... Top side is Soldier and bottom is Berserker. If you want to go more Damage move the line up, if you want more survival move the line down.

That's where I recommend starting if you're starting from scratch. If you're already full Berserker just put the line at the top and move it down till you get the survival you want. If you're for some reason full Soldier (much less common) you can start the the line at the bottom and work your way up till you have the dmg you want.

I would personally recommend at some point working up a full set of both, then you can move the line up and down on the fly for the situation.

I read on the official forums that for thieves many people find that P/T/H is better than P/T/V.  Can you confirm or deny this?

Also, thanks very much for your input, I've been looking for experienced ppl's gearing opinions!

#84 Vysander

Vysander

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostQuack530, on 28 February 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I read on the official forums that for thieves many people find that P/T/H is better than P/T/V.  Can you confirm or deny this?

Also, thanks very much for your input, I've been looking for experienced ppl's gearing opinions!

took me a second, but you mean power/toughness/healing right?

no.

I mean, maybe you could make a healing power heavy (though, where you get heavy healing power while still doing good dmg...) thief work, with some of the on crit food heals and on crit/hit traits, and signet of malice... but why? We dont have the AoE heals to benefit other people. We don't scale that well with healing. There really isn't a point in going a healing power spec unless you can heal other people (Refuge doesn't count).

I guess i could see it being more effective (maybe, like, the tiniest maybe i can muster) then having health because of our low starting health pool and lackluster vit scaling. The argument could be made you would heal faster then you would lose health (very likely true using the healing while invis trait), but then the much more sensible argument is that the thief is not a sponge, and is incredibly effective at doing nothing when played as such.

You're best contribution to a fight at that point would be trolling people (and obviously some stealth/blind field, and maybe venom sharing, but come on). Sure, you could scout wherever and never die, but is that really that much harder to do with any build if you spec into 30 shadow arts?

Edited by Vysander, 28 February 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#85 Yamirashi

Yamirashi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TSL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

One thing to point out, the difference in power between a PVT and PTH is a nice chunk because Power is the Primary stat on PVT and a Secondary stat on PTH or Clerics gear (probably better abbreviated HPT if you had to). A full set of armor gets you 315 primary and 224 secondary, so you're loosing out on 91 power and 224 Vitality or 2240 health only to pick up HP which as pointed out above you don't really make a lot of use of. If I was going to drop Vitality there and drop my Power I'd think you'd be much better off with Knights gear for more Toughness and Precision.

From my own personal play style, I need Vitality more than I do Toughness. I can dodge hits easier than I can dodge the conditions, and toughness doesn't help me stay alive from conditions. More vitality gives me time to take care of them before they take care of me. That's not saying I don't value toughness, as it helps a lot and is the reason I run Soldier rather than Valk for the extra survival.

Edited by Yamirashi, 01 March 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#86 trinity88

trinity88

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Apologies for the necro of the thread, but I was wondering if this build is still relevant, and what, if anything, should be adjusted based upon nerfs/buffs in the past 6 months?

#87 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi first of all thanks for the awesome thread, i recently swapped to s/d and i might just ask you for a couple advice

I run with valkyrie armor + wurm runes, berserker weapons and trinkets except for 2 knights ring i think

running a 10/30/30/0/0 trait line, wvw only

Just as you said later on in the thread not having much initiative the main dmg output is going to come from those solid sword aa, which actually works good for me, i don't usually have initiative problems, also because the restore on crit trait helps a bit.
So my questions are mainly 2. First of all i'm sitting on about (i'm not home so i can't recall exactly the stats but it should be close enough) 16,5k hp, 2450 armor, 2950ish atk, 48%crit chance (with food) and 95% crit dmg.

So my main doubt is about the 30 points in SA. I took them mainly because of the toughness to be honest, cause i usually duo and play mostly in outnumbered situations so the 1s increased stealth it comes usefull as well as the last refuge which saved me quite a few times... The problem is, having not so much initiative and relying mostly on the heal and last refuge for stealthing i often feel like i'm wasting traits. Ofcourse there will be the occasional c&d but with only 10init it's easy to fall behind the 6 needed for the c&d,,.
So i was thinking about taking some out but most of all i'm quite afraid of losing those 300 toughness as long as the shadow rejuvination...
But now, 10 points in acro is not gonna give me much usefull tools from that trait, and i'm not sure about losing more toughness...
about trickery as much as i'd like thrill of the crime (where do i have to sign for 10secs of fury) that would cause me to lose quite a bit of survaivability while i don't really need much steal recharge or condition dmg... so i'm kind of in a pickle right there.

The second doubt is about the sigil of paralization. Sure more second of daze is good but since we're not really gonna be permastealthed wouldn't that be quite wasted compared to some more solid dmg?

Thanks again for the thread!

Edited by Delta Blues, 23 July 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#88 Krill

Krill

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'd say the only traits that are locked in are 0/30/15/0/0 for executioner and meld, leaving you 25 to play with. One option that is very fun is 0/30/15/15/10 with power of inertia and uncatchable, plus orrian truffle and meat stew food. It's basically perma crip with extreme endurance and big might stacks.

You can always add in some PVT gear to gain a reasonable amount of survivability. One good way is a few PVT trinkets with zerker jewels in them to minimize the usual stat loss with crit dmg. Unfortunately this is not an ascended combo, but the trinkets are of course free with karma.

#89 Dragoon212

Dragoon212

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Anyone try anything with this build using runes of the traveler? Seems like a better more expensive runeset compared to scholar. No need to run the signet for movespeed anymore to get around, so now it frees up a utility slot for maybe even more power or prec. from the signet, or even some other utility.

#90 derkol

derkol

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Few questions as there has been a fair few nerfs/buffs over time especially October update.

1. How viable is this build now? I'd the burst of this build still substantial?

2. What's the most prefered(meta speaking) setup gear wise. Like what do you mix to still have a high crit chance, high crit damage and good survivability.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users