8 replies to this topic

#1 Quarktastic

Quarktastic

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

So this is the build I have been using most recently.

http://gw2skills.net...CbMA;TMALLGEsJA

I've been using Knight's armor with emerald orbs, and Valkyrie accessories. My raw damage is decent, and I can easily swap to a greatsword or other weapon when I feel like it, but my traps seem a bit lackluster with almost no condition damage.

I don't really want to get a second set of armor at this point, though perhaps I should have, rather than transmute my dungeon pieces onto my current armor. Should I suck it up and add condition damage? And how much would it hurt my ability to use weapons that aren't reliant on conditions, like the longbow?

#2 Striken7

Striken7

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TDN]
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

My suggestion is either start stacking Condition Damage, or choose something other than traps. Without it they are just too sub-par for me.

If you stick with traps, the answer to your questions depends what stat you replace with Condition Damage and how much of it you add. You could go glass cannon with Power, Precision, and Condition Damage, then everything hits hard at the obvious expense of defense. Otherwise, you're dropping something (Power or Precision) which weakens all non-condition based weapons.

How much will you feel this effect? There's no easy answer. If you replace all your Power with Condition Damage, yeah you will notice it a lot. If you replace half of it, they're each half as good, etc. To minimize the negative effects while maximizing Condition Damage, consider mixing and matching some new pieces to replace the Knights armor. Go from every piece having Power/Precision/Toughness, to having:

2 Pieces with Power/Precision/Condition Damage
2 Pieces with Power/Vitality/Condition Damage
2 Pieces with Precision/Toughness/Condition Damage

Make up the stats you feel are lacking through accessories, runes, and weapon stats. Runes of the Undead, one of my favorites, will stack more Condition Damage and Toughness nicely. Add in some accessories with Power/Vitality/Condition Damage, and get a Berzerker's Longbow/Greatsword (Power/Precision/Critical Damage). Don't forget all the stats you're getting from your current trait selection. You've now got a lot of Condition Damage, and medium-to-above average amounts of just about everything else.

Bottom line is (and you already figured this out) without Condition Damage you're probably better off not using Traps for damage. The rest is a sliding scale based on your preferences.

#3 Kratimas

Kratimas

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I am getting ready to start crafting my exotic armor and was thinking about a full Rampagers set (Power/Precision/Condition Damage). Then feeling out the accessories to see if I need some more toughness or hp.

I have a full set of rare MF accessories right now that I farm Ore with so, I will keep those to test out the Ram set and try to get a feel for the other stats.

#4 Shamz

Shamz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Guild Tag:[iQ]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

A build without Quickening Zephyr is weird to me.  That utility has never left my bar since I have unlocked it.

#5 JROH

JROH

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

Before making a decision about new armor, I would suggest waiting to see what the update for rangers will bring to the table. The decision might be made for you at that point.

#6 Ravnodaus

Ravnodaus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostStriken7, on 23 October 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

My suggestion is either start stacking Condition Damage, or choose something other than traps. Without it they are just too sub-par for me.

If you stick with traps, the answer to your questions depends what stat you replace with Condition Damage and how much of it you add. You could go glass cannon with Power, Precision, and Condition Damage, then everything hits hard at the obvious expense of defense. Otherwise, you're dropping something (Power or Precision) which weakens all non-condition based weapons.

How much will you feel this effect? There's no easy answer. If you replace all your Power with Condition Damage, yeah you will notice it a lot. If you replace half of it, they're each half as good, etc. To minimize the negative effects while maximizing Condition Damage, consider mixing and matching some new pieces to replace the Knights armor. Go from every piece having Power/Precision/Toughness, to having:

Make up the stats you feel are lacking through accessories, runes, and weapon stats. Runes of the Undead, one of my favorites, will stack more Condition Damage and Toughness nicely. Add in some accessories with Power/Vitality/Condition Damage, and get a Berzerker's Longbow/Greatsword (Power/Precision/Critical Damage). Don't forget all the stats you're getting from your current trait selection. You've now got a lot of Condition Damage, and medium-to-above average amounts of just about everything else.

Bottom line is (and you already figured this out) without Condition Damage you're probably better off not using Traps for damage. The rest is a sliding scale based on your preferences.

Please do not do what this guy is suggesting, at least now how he is suggesting it.

If you want to mix in any gear with Crit Damage % (Ie Berserker) This lists the best to worst peices. If you just want a little berseker, add jewels first. More? Keep on moving down the list. The stuff at the bottom of the list is generally a poor choice to add. Ratios included.

5:1 Jewel
7:1 Gem
12:1 Glove/Boot/Shoulders
12.8:1 Amulet/Onehand weapons
13.3:1 Accessories(earring)
14.2:1 Twohand weapons
14.4:1 Chest
16:1 Pants/Helm/Ring

So you can clearly see, adding a berseker bow is a poor choice, as it has a 14.2 to 1 ratio in stat allocation.

#7 Quarktastic

Quarktastic

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostStriken7, on 23 October 2012 - 01:11 AM, said:

I did a bit of thinking, and keeping my current armor, if I add green carrion accessories and runes of the undead, I will get 926 condition damage (with rampager weapons) If I upgrade to exotic carrion accessories, I would gain even more. Though I had also considered runes of the adventurer for the 50% endurance on heal.

#8 Ravnodaus

Ravnodaus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostQuarktastic, on 25 October 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

I did a bit of thinking, and keeping my current armor, if I add green carrion accessories and runes of the undead, I will get 926 condition damage (with rampager weapons) If I upgrade to exotic carrion accessories, I would gain even more. Though I had also considered runes of the adventurer for the 50% endurance on heal.

Might I suggest a bit of a combat tactic/equipment combo that would greatly help synergize your power/crit weapon with your condition damage utilities?

I suggest you mix in some rampger. This will up your crit chance. Which is important because...
Equip a sigil of strength in your longbow. And rune for power/might duration. 2x 3 set is best imo. thats 40% might. helps...because..

Open combat with axe horn, use buff entering combat, hit #4 and immediately swap to longbow and following the swap hit #2. Swap pet in there for quickness. This will give you a very rapid succession of 26 hits in a very small window of time, all of which can proc a stack of might, and they'll last 14-15 seconds. Dependng on your crit rate, you could get a full stack of 25. But in case you didn't know, might is 35 power and condition damage, making a 10 stack 350 power/condition damage, a 20 stack 700 power/condition...and a full 25 is 875!

This would greatly boost your offensive strength, in both direct damage and conditions. There are other ways to get high might stacks. But I would suggest to anyone aiming for a hybrid direct damage/condition build to look into might stacking, because it is often the keystone to a great build like that.

#9 Quarktastic

Quarktastic

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

I decided to nix the whole thing and use a shortbow instead. Picked up some runes of the adventurer, and exotic carrion accessories. Sitting around 1000 condition damage so far.

The longbow just doesn't work with a trap spec. Condition builds are also boring...but it deals more damage than anything else I've tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users