12 replies to this topic

#1 GeminiJuSa

GeminiJuSa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

Heya guise and gurls!

I love all the aspiring and growing talents that are here in the Library of Whispers! And I thought it might be good to have a general feedback and CC (constructive criticism aka helpful tips and pointers) for those who seek it.

I figured this needed it's own thread since the existing threads are more for just showing your work (which does not mean you necessarily want people to give CC) and I don't want to take the fun out of that for the people who doesn't want any comments on the actual skill-level. You have to start somewhere after all, and showing your work is supposed to be fun, regardless of current skills!

As a still growing artist myself I know I love to have some help in techniques, anatomy, colouring or whatnot I may be facing a challenge with, and to share what I know with other. I love seeing artists grow, so hit this thread with something you want help with in order for you to grow as an artist!

#2 Morag D

Morag D

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Guild Tag:[bone]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

cool.
I like it.

#3 Viatrix

Viatrix

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EON]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Awesome topic! I'll definitely keep this in mind!

#4 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5204 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Sounds like a cool idea.   Mind if I start?

I know my art sucks so I don't look for artistic criticism :)   (Even worse, I'm not overly concerned with improvement as long as my drawings can convey the stories I want to tell.)   But it would be helpful on the technical side to ask about using the digital programs.  

Anyone here using the freeware Gnu Image Manipulation Program or GIMP?   They came out with a new version 2.8 and I just can't stand it.   The biggest thing are the brushes, how do you scale brushes now?   In 2.6 that was simple and right there on the UI, now it's missing.  

Even worse, after finally figuring out how to make custom brushes (because 2.8 doesn't even provide you with basic round pens) I can't get the brushes to increase beyond a certain diameter.   I try setting it to anything from 50 to 1000 pixels and the darn things still draw the same width.  

Any assistance would be appreciated.   TBH - this latest version is making me considering putting down the money for Photoshop.

#5 GeminiJuSa

GeminiJuSa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'm not personally familiar with GIMP, I tried it once and tore my hair, then went back to MSpaint. But if anyone else knows, feel free to pitch in an answer ;)

(And what are you saying overlord, aren't you fairly good at your arts? ;D)

#6 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5204 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostGeminiJuSa, on 21 October 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

(And what are you saying overlord, aren't you fairly good at your arts? ;D)
I make comic scrawls whose purpose is to tell the story, I make no claims that they are art in any shape or form ;)

#7 GeminiJuSa

GeminiJuSa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Comics are awesome for honing your skills. You get to practice emotions, angles and storytelling! It's lovely!

#8 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[WM]

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Welp lets see if I can get help on this one:

This is a painting I was working on during the summer, but I stopped on it for three reasons:
-GW2 Beta Started
-Summer Classes went into full swing
-I messed up on my Asura's posture

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its generally way I positioned the arms that is grinding my gears right now... anyone got any ideas on how to fix this... I will cry if I have to practically redo most of it, but if you could perhaps show me a better pose that kinda captures what I was aiming for with the rifle stance I would appreciate it.

Also any ideas on what to do with the other characters would be nice, I was aiming for a painterly feeling, similar in a way like how ArenaNet presents their stuff, hopefully as you can see how I tried to main guy blend into his cape like a painting etc.

I was thinking of adding effects that would kinda demostrate their profession, but I am not sure if it would ruin the current look or not. Like skulls or eyes in Kyo's cape, or daggers flowing in the background of my Assassin's cloak. You can see I tried to experiment with an Engineer turret for my Asura.

Eh, any ideas would be appreciated, I really want to finish this painting before I work on the Wintersday Calendar.

#9 GeminiJuSa

GeminiJuSa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ok, so this is my little attempt to give some feedback:
First off: I think you've done a really good job with the humans, but you could improove by imagining rounded lines following the shape of the body. Also, there's room to widen the shoulders a little bit, they look a bit crammed but it could very well be a part of your own style.

On the asura I've first off given him a neck, I've made some sort of horizon for you to show a very simple and perhaps not perfect way of relating; everything above the horizon should be seen as from below, everything below it should be seen as if you're looking down on it.
Posted Image
My doodle is far from perfect but I hope you can get some ideas at how to make it appear less flat. Your colouring is really good, I'm envious ;)

#10 Viatrix

Viatrix

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

I posted this as a WIP on my art thread and since this is something that I do on what little spare time I can squeeze in and have no set deadline (personal, out of the blue art), I'll be very happy to receive constructive critique on it. Granted it's just as simple as a portrait atm -my comfort zone- I'd like to see if I can take it further.  

Posted Image

Thanks in advance!

PS- I now see that the lips are not symmetrical haha

#11 foxytemptations

foxytemptations

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CDS]

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

YAY i love threads like this! Not very good at giving advice myself because im still learning but i'd like some.

This is my most recent finsihed
https://dviw3bl0enby...rtation4293.png

cant really go back but would love to point out stuff to look for next time

Current project
https://dviw3bl0enby...Kerli_Chibi.png
still working on this so i can make changes :3

also im wanted to do game commissions price suggestion? how much you're willing to pay works too.

#12 Viatrix

Viatrix

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Lovely chibis Foxy. I realized that chibis are deceptive...they look easy but they are really hard to pull off and I think you did a great job. (Yeah I tried chibis before. Epic failure lol)

I am no expert in chibis so feel free to disregard this one little critique (esp if this is a style choice), I noticed that yours are not as round as the normal chibis I get accustomed to (the body/figure seems to have more angular edges). ^_^

To borrow a term from a DA tutorial I stumbled upon days ago, it doesn't have the squiggly bean effect:

http://karijn.devian...-Bean-292280696

#13 foxytemptations

foxytemptations

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CDS]

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

:3 Cool thanks i will give this a try

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feedback, constructive criticism, help, art, beginner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users