• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Senatic

Senatic

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1875 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Respectfully, I gotta disagree on the healing power. With the right items your empower can be doing 3-4k heals. It is incredibly powerful, I would sacrifice some hp for it any day, what does it matter if you have a low health pool when you can heal yourself up almost instantly without even using your self heal?

With my current setup (power/toughness/healing power) of armor and accessories I have about 14k hp and around 2800 armor. Sure, the HP pool is pretty small, but whatever damage I take I simply use one skill and it's back up. I don't really ever die in dungeons and I'm able to actually do some real healing.

Bottom line, the healing power more then doubles your heals putting them just below the level of your self heal, it's worth it. I really don't think 4k extra health is worth it when I can heal that same amount of hp with one empower.

You can still get a lot of boon duration as well with the runes you suggested and the right traits, getting the best of both worlds. That is how I run my guardian anyway.

Other then that very good guide for someone looking to understand the essentials of a guardians job.

5/5

Edited by Senatic, 16 November 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#32 Elysen

Elysen

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostSenatic, on 16 November 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

... what does it matter if you have a low health pool when you can heal yourself up almost instantly without even using your self heal?...

Because inevitably you will be smacked a big'un by an enemy, or knocked down just after Stability was removed. You can't heal when you're dead.

Great guide, having much fun playing around with it. I must say I prefer to use Hammer/Staff instead of a sceptre/focus as the fianl skill of the default attack chain on the Hammer triggers a symbol.

#33 Ojimaru

Ojimaru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HIRE]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

The choice between majoring in Shouts or Consecration really depends on the role you're usually in. If you're in a dedicated 5-man roaming party, Shouts are much more effective. On the other hand, the effectiveness of Shouts greatly diminishes when you become part of a zerg due to the 5-player limit (barring Save Yourselves). In the latter, Consecrations such as Purging Flames and Wall of Reflection has a much bigger contribution.

Also, if you tend to build tanky (i.e. Soldier's, Knight's or Valkyrie's), you can and - in my opinion - should be in front of a stand-off. You become a juicy target that's both hard to take down and still deal damage to unlimited targets thanks to Retaliation (something most here seem to overlook).

Finally, I'm wondering if somebody can help me verify that the +Might Duration Runes aren't stacking as they should. I have 3 sets of +20% and two sets seem to not work.

#34 CrystallineDIVA

CrystallineDIVA

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostOjimaru, on 11 December 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Finally, I'm wondering if somebody can help me verify that the +Might Duration Runes aren't stacking as they should. I have 3 sets of +20% and two sets seem to not work.

If you are referring to staff #4's might duration: This skill is bugged and displays a wrong duration for might. It has been reported many times but Anet did not yet change it properly.

#35 MacchiCross

MacchiCross

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Right now i'm using this:
http://en.gw2skills....ajzLpNrNGNs/Y B

Focusing Power/Toughness/Healing Power. It's working pretty well :P

#36 VralGrymfang

VralGrymfang

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thank you so much for this guide.  It is very well written and clearly stated.  I just finished making this build, with some minor changes to the traits hexes you listed.  Looking it over on my character, I noticed a spot that could be improved, ever so slightly.  You make no mention of the breathing apparatus, which I wouldn't think too much about, except it can hold a rune, which is very significant.  Looking it over, I would suggest a 3rd Major rune of Sanctuary, which gives a Vit boost, over the 3rd in the other rune lines, which give a healing boost.

Also, I would suggest you Edit your guide and number the Trait Hexes you use so it is easier to read.

#37 Im Legion

Im Legion

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostVralGrymfang, on 02 January 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Thank you so much for this guide.  It is very well written and clearly stated.  I just finished making this build, with some minor changes to the traits hexes you listed.  Looking it over on my character, I noticed a spot that could be improved, ever so slightly.  You make no mention of the breathing apparatus, which I wouldn't think too much about, except it can hold a rune, which is very significant.  Looking it over, I would suggest a 3rd Major rune of Sanctuary, which gives a Vit boost, over the 3rd in the other rune lines, which give a healing boost.

Also, I would suggest you Edit your guide and number the Trait Hexes you use so it is easier to read.

You should place the same rune in your breathing aparatus as you normally have in your helmet, since you only get the benefits of the one in your breathing aparatus while under water.

#38 Aloraiel

Aloraiel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Hello and Well Met!

I've just finished leveling my guardian to 80 and am looking for a strong supportive build just like this. With this being an older thread AND seeing your recent 5/6/13 update to the other "Ultra Guardian" build you've created, I am wondering if this build is still viable or if you've abandon it in favor of the other?

If that is not the case, are there any updates you would make to this build that would increase its potency? I've tried building my own but, well, lets just say the results were less than disastrous and I found myself dead, humiliated and waiting for the crows to finish me off, haha.

Thank you in advance,

Aloraiel

#39 Nightcr4wler2

Nightcr4wler2

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

Ultramatum, I know this post has been here and been quiet for a while, but I was going back through it again and wanted to say thank you for posting this way back when. When I was first building my support guardian well over a year ago, I stumbled across this post, and it became the bedrock of my build. Especially regarding rune-based boon duration and the use of consecrations, this stuff is gold, and to this day, my support guardian is by far my favorite character—and my friends' favorite, because the boon output is like steroids for everyone in the party :).

The only thing I've done in my build that's notably different from your design here is something I also seldom see other support guardians do: put points into Radiance to get Renewed Justice. It seemed like a no-brainer to me, and I've never been able to get myself to go without it because it has the capacity to totally turn the tide in a fight against large numbers of enemies. Particularly when used in combination with AoE weapons, like hammer and staff, it's magic! Every time an enemy you've tagged falls, Virtue of Justice is re-upped, supplying another dose of might and fire damage to everyone in the party. I've been in fights where I've tagged so many targets that once they start falling, I can't hit VoJ fast enough to keep up with the renewals. Toss in some superior sigils of stamina, and you're hitting your party with dodge-heals on ever kill as well. It's fantastic in big-group fights.

I'd also chime in with the people here who've championed the use of the hammer in place of any one-handed weapon-sets—at least in PvE. I've always loved its steady stream of protection that lets you get up in the enemy's face and add survivability to your frontline teammates better than any healing could. As importantly, though, when you're running with consecrations, the hammer's blast finisher turns them into repeated boon sources, enabling you to throw around area retaliation and might like they're candy. People can say you need to use shouts to really give good boon coverage, but they're wrong. If you understand symbols, consecrations, and combo fields, you can easily feed your party boons without end, on both your hammer and your staff.

Regardless of the couple of things I do differently, your work here is fantastic, and my guardian wouldn't be half as helpful to parties—or half as fun to play!—as he is if I hadn't found this. Thank you!

#40 Crashproof

Crashproof

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostNightcr4wler2, on 01 January 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

The only thing I've done in my build that's notably different from your design here is something I also seldom see other support guardians do: put points into Radiance to get Renewed Justice.

View PostNightcr4wler2, on 01 January 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

I'd also chime in with the people here who've championed the use of the hammer in place of any one-handed weapon-sets—at least in PvE.

I'm curious how your build looks?  I realize the timing is weird here because they're literally changing the trait system and a lot of other stuff today, but I've been enjoying hammer/staff for leveling and I'm convinced Renewed Justice is golden.  (I leveled a guardian to 80 over a year ago, just got back into the game again for the last week.)

To get your 15 Radiance, are you pulling it out of Virtues, or 10 from Valor and 5 from Virtues, or what?

#41 ZCKS

ZCKS

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1348 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TG]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Healing power tends to not be much use in PVE as the mobs tend to hit hard enough that you cant make up for stupidity & keep people alive anyway.

That being said it does work decently in SPvP & small scale WvW.

Think there may be allot more people using bunker/support guardians with the 15th patch.
The new trait in valor is really the best one we got & could be insane for group play if worked with rune of the monk, shelter, retreat, renewed focus, the weapon focus, mace etc.... & pure of heart.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users