17 replies to this topic

#1 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

As many people know by now, ancient jotun stelae accounts a total of six Elder Dragons. However, I have two pieces of evidence which support that there may be in fact many more out there.

The first is the Arah explorable dungeon. Specifically, the jotun path. The purpose of the path is to find an ancient jotun magical telescope taken in by the Six Gods. Said telescope's original purpose was to study the stars in order to decern when the Elder Dragons would rise again. At the end of the dungeon path, you find the telescope and the scholar's theory is proven true. Not only that, she says that a new star is born when an Elder Dragon rises. There is then a cinematic that plays, which shows the formation of a new star. (here's a video of it that I found)

It's five years too late to be Kralkatorrik, indicating that a new Elder Dragon has risen.

The second piece of evidence is Trahearne. Specifically, his dialogue after completing Victory or Death in Caer Aval - the new instance added in the halloween updates. Here, he says "Across the world, the dragons are rising." - note two key factors.

First, "across the world" would imply more than just continental Tyria. But how would he know of outside the continent when they've been cut off? The answer is simple: the Order of Whispers has access to Elona, knows of the mysterious deep sea dragon, wants all Elder Dragons gone, and is implied to have knowledge of the entire world as in the Chantry of Secrets there is a full globe. The Master of Whispers would likely find it beneficial to let the Pact know of all Elder Dragon threats, since that's the Pact's purpose and they've shown to be effective against Zhaitan.

Second, "rising" - present tense, not past. This indicates that there are still more waking up, and they're doing so now, possibly due to the death of Zhaitan. If Trahearne was referring to the four known to be awake, he wouldn't be using present tense.

So it begs the question, how many dragons are there and what kind of aspects of nature do they hold?

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#2 Orual Fox

Orual Fox

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Rare]
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 24 October 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

The second piece of evidence is Trahearne. Specifically, his dialogue after completing Victory or Death in Caer Aval - the new instance added in the halloween updates. Here, he says "Across the world, the dragons are rising." - note two key factors.

New instance?  Is this in the story (meaning I have to replay story) or do I go somewhere and watch it?  Or was this added to the end boss fight?  If Victory or Death was the name of the last mission, I just totally forgot.

#3 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

I was under the impresssion that DSD had already awoken, which is what drove the quaggan and krait up from the depths.

you also forgot to include the thaunova(sp) reactor having 6 areas as a possibility of representing 6 dragons (haven't payed attention to the other thread recently...might have missed if you went over it in more depth).

(disclaimer: below here is all personal speculation on things I have little reference for, and I haven't done a lot of research.  I could be very wrong about a lot of it, and I won't feel bad if I am entirely wrong.)

my take :
We already know Jormag, Kralky, Primordius, and Zhaitan.  DSD is assumed to be water and oceanic.  So, with that I would believe that the 6th recently risen dragon would be based around nature and its corruption.  A good possibility of its location could be the maguuma wastes, as it seems as in the 250 years since GW1, the jungle has decreased vastly in size.  There also seems to be very little knowledge of the current wastes that I have come across, so its possible that anyone (or anything) going into the area got corrupted by the dragon's magic and absorbed into the wastes.  Also, there is the sylvari question:  are there more similar beings, and where do they come from?  More on this in the threads about Mallyck that I won't go deeply in to.

Another possibility relating directly to Cantha is Kuunavang.  She may have been a champion of a Canthan dragon, that in a weakened state was trapped and corrupted by Shiro, and then decided to help the players of GW1, similar to Glint.  (sourced from Kuunavang article on GW1 wiki).  I could be reading the lore wrong here though, any extra sourcing other than 1 wiki article would help.  An elder dragon here could represent nature as stated above, but could also be related to being a Celestial being (closer to the stars, etc.).

Elona, I doubt has any dragon influence unless Kralkatorrik decides to move farther into the desert.  Nothing from the NF campaign gave me any indication that there is any dragon lore involved with the continent, but as stated in the disclaimer I don't have any research done to have a good base for this belief.

edit:

View PostOrual Fox, on 24 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

New instance?  Is this in the story (meaning I have to replay story) or do I go somewhere and watch it?  Or was this added to the end boss fight?  If Victory or Death was the name of the last mission, I just totally forgot.

As Konig stated, it is the new instance from the Halloween update.

Edited by matsif, 24 October 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#4 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostOrual Fox, on 24 October 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

It was added last night, it's not part of the story - it's similar to the home instances, more or less.

@Matsif: THe DSD is indeed awake. Though the Sixth may not be. Thaumanova isn't related to the Elder Dragons but rather chaos magic (though it has 4 element areas - fire, ice, aquatic, and poison) and is the precursor to the reactor I believe you mean, the Infinity Coil Reactor in Mount Maelstrom.

But my point isn't on the sixth ED. But rather on the potential seventh, eighth, and so forth. Five of six previously-known about dragons rose, and yet we're told that dragons are rising - indicating more than 1. If the Sixth wasn't awake by GW2, then it's likely in line for waking - along with a potential seventh and more (I wouldn't say 2 dragons constitute as "across the world").

Furthermore, I doubt the Sixth is in Tyria - it may be close by, however, given the jotun knew of it. But again, this isn't really about the Sixth, but the potential of more Elder Dragons further out. There are enough threads on the Sixth Elder Dragon. Please don't drive this one into another repeat of that.

I've previously speculated on Kuunavang being a champion of an Elder Star Dragon much like Glint was, given that the forgotten were in Cantha it's not unlikely either.

I want. I want bad.

#5 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 24 October 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

Thaumanova isn't related to the Elder Dragons but rather chaos magic (though it has 4 element areas - fire, ice, aquatic, and poison) and is the precursor to the reactor I believe you mean, the Infinity Coil Reactor in Mount Maelstrom.

yeah, that one.  I mixed it up, which is why I listed the disclaimer.

But my point isn't on the sixth ED. But rather on the potential seventh, eighth, and so forth. Five of six previously-known about dragons rose, and yet we're told that dragons are rising - indicating more than 1. If the Sixth wasn't awake by GW2, then it's likely in line for waking - along with a potential seventh and more (I wouldn't say 2 dragons constitute as "across the world").

I've previously speculated on Kuunavang being a champion of an Elder Star Dragon much like Glint was, given that the forgotten were in Cantha it's not unlikely either.

I snipped part of the quote, but I do not mean to drive the discussion of 6 as much as that post came off as.  I should have elaborated more, and with a bit of free time just now I looked into some things a bit more and came up with some new ideas.

I believe there is a dragon being related to Kuunavang, in the form of a dragon of celestial beings/the sky/light.  Since Glint was Kralkatorrik's champion, Kuunavang could easily be a champion as well.  Also, the whole "a new star is born when a dragon wakes" leads me to believe that for this to happen there is a dragon that rules the sky with its own magic.  I base this on my opinion that none of the currently known dragons to have powers related to the ability to create a star, other than having strong powers.

As to more in Cantha, Kanaxai as far as I know has no listed alliances, so it is possible he could have been related to another unknown Canthan Dragon, possibly its champion as the Great Destroyer was to Primordius.  Kanaxai I would think would be the antithesis of Kuunavag as a champion, in that if Kuunavang represents celestial/light, Kanaxai would represent darkness and shadow (no relation to undeath from Zhaitan).

In this same idea, Urgoz could be connected to a "nature" dragon, as he is a nature spirit with no alliance to the gods or anything other than the echovald forest that I know of.  Assuming a dragon of nature, the echovald forest would be an ideal location to be in hibernation.  This dragon would be a dragon of natural life, as opposed to my idea of a dragon being present in the Maguuma wastes, which destroys nature in its own way (not like Kralky turning everything to crystal).

As stated in my first post, I have not seen anything of related lore to Elona on dragons, and I cannot comment on what would/could be located there.  The desolation was caused by the casting out of Abbadon.  Istan does not seem to have anything that I can relate to any dragon in the isles.  Vabbi and Kourna I feel the same way about, so unless there is something I am entirely missing, no dragons in Elona.  I would believe that Elona is more of a knowledge base than we know of about the dragons, and since it is cut off right now, only the Order of Whisperers knows.

Edited by matsif, 24 October 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#6 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I do not expect Urgoz to be tied to an Elder Dragon. He is a forest spirit (not nature spirit), and spirits are not ED minions at all. He was corrupted by the Jade Wind - before which he and the other unnamed forest spirits of the Echovald, like the Wardens, protected the forest and its inhabitants. Also, it's Echovald Forest, and there's nothing related to poison there. Take note why I relate the Sixth to poison is because that's the most common aspect of Zone Green - outside the grass and tree trunk, you have a lot of very deadly and long lasting poison.

There is, as far as we can tell, no connection to Cantha and an Elder Dragon outside the possibility of Kuunavang. Trying to tie everything previously unaffiliated is very poor and goes against what ArenaNet has said they're trying to do - to make their world story "wider" rather than "deeper" (aka, not tie everything together).

I want. I want bad.

#7 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7636 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

The connection between elder dragons and stars is an interesting one. While there could be some innate connection between the dragons and stars that means a new star naturally appears whenever a dragon rises, considering that otherwise the dragons seem localised to Tyria, it seems odd for the stars to be spontaneously marking their rising - even though there is evidence that in the Guild Wars multiverse, not every star is the sun of its own solar system like in real-world astronomy.

There are two other possibilities that I can think of. One is that we've got the cause and effect mixed up - instead of the dragon rising causing the star, it could be the star's (re)appearance that causes the dragon to rise. Assuming the physics of Guild Wars light is even similar to our own, this would explain why the light from the star would arrive in time to warn of an awakening, rather than years afterwards.

The second is that the appearance of the stars is not directly linked, but that someone or something is lighting them as a warning. If the hypothesised Canthan dragon really does have stars as its domain, this might mean that it is, in fact, an example of a benign elder dragon - under the circumstances, possibly one that doesn't feel its worth the risk to take on the others directly, but feels that it can afford to give warnings.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

#8 Laesrif

Laesrif

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Doubt anyone will read this -  it's an old topic by now - but I have become convinced there are at least eight Elder Dragons. We know the six are confirmed, even if the Deep Sea dragon and the sixth we have very little information on. The theories on the wiki about Mordremoth as the sixth are intriguing.

However, I believe a few fact point out that there are at least eight, and that the information on the Jotan stelae is incomplete (but not necessarily wrong). The first of these is the survival of races. Five Elder Races survived the last cycle of the Elder Dragons. Dwarves, Forgotten, mursaat, jotan, and seers. They were also left ragged and broken as races by this struggle - the dwarven civilization was the most intact, and based on how much they'd forgotten and lost between the end of the last cycle and the awakening of the Great Destroyer, we can pretty safely assume they eked through with a major dark age and their species literally decimated (or worse) by the experience. Forgotten fared second best, almost certainly because of Glint switching sides and all but adopting them. The others fared worse. Seers survive mostly due to their long lifespans - since it is very possible that their entire race can be numbered in the dozens or less by now. Mursaat fled, hid, and still were reduced. The jotan quite simply never recovered. (It is quite possible djinn are also this old, but since only one of them ever talked back, and even he is closemouthed, it is very hard to judge.)

I posit that these five races were the lucky ones, and that the world of Tyria - a world that we see promotes the evolution and advancement of intelligent species to the point that there are more than twenty we know about that have shown up in a few thousand years since the last rising of the elder dragons - gets emptied every rising. That the only certain races to survive in the known world were fairly isolated on more or less a third of one of three known continents implies that every other place every other sentient was wiped out. Lore suggests that Glint was instrumental in their survival, but it is quite likely she just managed to keep intact those closest to her. The jotan stelae isn't a census of the Elder Dragons. It's a warning about the ones they survived (and which, of course, would be the six closest to their civilization, and thus the six we likely need to worry about first). But something certainly wiped clean Elona and Cantha in the last rising cycle.

Which brings me to rare materials. There are eight rare materials in the game. Four of them match, effortlessly, with the four elder dragons we know. Destroyer materials with Primodius. Piles of essence to Zhaitan. Crystal materials with Kralkratorrik. Glacial materials with Jormag. It would seem that, based on the information we have that Mordremoth is nature and earth, his possible connection to the nightmare court, and that the one attack which echoes his nature is a black spike, we can posit that he matches onyx materials. Corrupted materials are bluish, lustrous, and look soft, and are the best guess I can make that match the Deep Sea Dragon.

Which leaves molten and charged materials. If I may take a wild guess, that celestial and lightning powers exemplified Kuunavang, and I believe it quite likely that she was a champion of a seventh dragon that corresponds to charged materials. If so, that dragon also is the one in the heraldry of the Dragon Empire of Cantha. If any of this is true, it may not have had to corrupt an army - merely take over the Empire poised to fall into it's lap. And if my supposition that the molten materials matches an eighth is true, then that dragon represents pure flame (rather than the destruction and chaos of Primodius), and... well, could be anywhere. But my bets are on Elona. Sun drenched Elona, now under clouds of smoke as oft as not. Sounds perfect for a beast of flame.

Anyhow. Just my thoughts. That the rare materials look like a hint, and that the only survivors of the last cycle would be limited in how much they could warn those who faced the next rising of the Elder Dragons by limited experience, and that it is a very big world and we are getting our story told to us by limited experience in societies penned in by four Elder Dragons cutting lines of communication (which would have happened last time as well), I believe that the above is fairly sound supposition.

#9 Rumstein

Rumstein

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

I seem to feel that "corrupted" lodestones etc. dropping from Icebrood (jormag) puts a major hole in your theory.

With no influence yet felt from "bubbles" (aside from the oh so terrible Karka), it would be near impossible to find lodestones etc connected to it.
Chance of a fire dragon seems a little unlikely, as primordus and the destroyers pretty much exemplify fire (even being immune to burning!)

#10 Laesrif

Laesrif

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

Ice is frozen water, and some of the back up lore implies the Elder Dragons may not like each other any more than they do the lesser races. As such, the presence of corrupted Lodestones on Icebrood could be Jormag coopting powers of his foe, or the ice and the water dragon have similar lineages and thus could explain the drop allowance at this time. (Especially if the designers wanted to include the hint and the material line but did not want to include any of the Deep Sea dragon's minions directly just yet).

As to destroyers and Primodius being primarily fire just because of their immunity to burning, I sincerely doubt that. As I stated in my above post, I see him as exemplifying chaos and destruction. While destruction isn't necessarily an element, chaos has been explicitly so in both GW1 and GW2. This also ties with the name. Primodial gods were often beings that came from and were living embodiments of chaos. Tiamat being the greatest example. While symbolically such beings used fire (and air, and earth, and water) it wasn't their element, their nature. The eldest beings from chaos were chaos. I see Primodius as this.

#11 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

View PostLaesrif, on 25 January 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

As to destroyers and Primodius being primarily fire just because of their immunity to burning, I sincerely doubt that. As I stated in my above post, I see him as exemplifying chaos and destruction.

If Primordius exemplified chaos, we would see chaos in his methods. From what we've seen he's pretty damn predictable and organized though. His minions are built of animated rock rather than something more mutable and changing (e.g. ooze), and often in imitation of lifeforms. Nor do we see things like destroyers infighting between different factions, and the corrupted environments are simply molten rock rather than something wilder. Destruction might leave chaos in its wake, but that doesn't mean that the destructive element itself exemplifies chaos.

#12 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostLaesrif, on 25 January 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

The first of these is the survival of races. Five Elder Races survived the last cycle of the Elder Dragons. Dwarves, Forgotten, mursaat, jotan, and seers. They were also left ragged and broken as races by this struggle - the dwarven civilization was the most intact, and based on how much they'd forgotten and lost between the end of the last cycle and the awakening of the Great Destroyer, we can pretty safely assume they eked through with a major dark age and their species literally decimated (or worse) by the experience. Forgotten fared second best, almost certainly because of Glint switching sides and all but adopting them. The others fared worse. Seers survive mostly due to their long lifespans - since it is very possible that their entire race can be numbered in the dozens or less by now. Mursaat fled, hid, and still were reduced. The jotan quite simply never recovered. (It is quite possible djinn are also this old, but since only one of them ever talked back, and even he is closemouthed, it is very hard to judge.)
Long times lead to information being lost or put into myths. I don't think the dwarves or forgotten suffered much at all - same goes for mursaat. The seers were nearly wiped out by the mursaat, not the dragons, and the jotun... we don't know when their civilization fell.

We also don't know how long a seer's lifespan is - or any of those races, aside from forgotten able to live over a thousand years and dwarves easily into the triple digits.

That the only certain races to survive in the known world were fairly isolated on more or less a third of one of three known continents implies that every other place every other sentient was wiped out.
Not necessarily. You're making two big assumptions in this: Firstly, you assume the Elder Dragons affect the entire world, rather than the third or so that we know Tyria/Elona's supercontinent to take place on - while the jotun stalea does imply this, they are not known to have global influence. Secondly, you assume that the Elder Dragons were able to completely devour all life Glint did not hide - given the fact that the seers placed all uncorrupted magic into the original Bloodstone, they effectively starved the Elder Dragons and waited out their bellies. This would have put them into hibernation well before they could fully consume the world.

This puts a dent into your first point.

Which brings me to rare materials. There are eight rare materials in the game. Four of them match, effortlessly, with the four elder dragons we know. Destroyer materials with Primodius. Piles of essence to Zhaitan. Crystal materials with Kralkratorrik. Glacial materials with Jormag. It would seem that, based on the information we have that Mordremoth is nature and earth, his possible connection to the nightmare court, and that the one attack which echoes his nature is a black spike, we can posit that he matches onyx materials. Corrupted materials are bluish, lustrous, and look soft, and are the best guess I can make that match the Deep Sea Dragon.
Corrupted Lodestones come from Jormag, and are the corrupted form of Glacial. Destroyer lodestones come from Primordus, and are the corrupted form of Molten Lodestones. Charged Lodestones, if you take note, are reverse in icon to Charged Lodestones (though the lesser forms are not) and all Crystal material icons have lightning about it.

The four easily tied to the Elder Dragons are just the corrupted forms of the other four.

This debunks that speculation - the DSD and Mordremoth doesn't have lodestones.

And if my supposition that the molten materials matches an eighth is true, then that dragon represents pure flame (rather than the destruction and chaos of Primodius), and... well, could be anywhere. But my bets are on Elona. Sun drenched Elona, now under clouds of smoke as oft as not. Sounds perfect for a beast of flame.
But... Primordus *IS* fire. He's not destruction and chaos - he's the Elder *Fire* Dragon. He just brings destruction - rather than corrupting living beings, he only kills them.

We might see an Elder Rock Dragon, though Primordus is also called such by the skritt, but Primordus is *the* fire dragon. Unless there's going to be more than one Elder Dragon per element. Which I think is a bit much.

As such, the presence of corrupted Lodestones on Icebrood could be Jormag coopting powers of his foe, or the ice and the water dragon have similar lineages and thus could explain the drop allowance at this time. (Especially if the designers wanted to include the hint and the material line but did not want to include any of the Deep Sea dragon's minions directly just yet).
You do realize how big of a stretch you're trying to make this, right? Ignoring the fact that the two are practically *half a globe away from each other* and there's next to no indication of the DSD in Tyria outside those it forced out of their homeland (krait, southern quaggan, largos, and karka), Glacial Lodestones drop from Ice Elementals primarily, not Icebrood.

As to destroyers and Primodius being primarily fire just because of their immunity to burning, I sincerely doubt that. As I stated in my above post, I see him as exemplifying chaos and destruction.
You need to catch up on your lore more. Primordus is all about corrupting fire and making minions out of lava. That's what he does. He just uses molten rock to given them a more solid form.

Immunity to burning has nothing to do with it. He *is* the Elder Fire Dragon.

All this said, though, I do think there can easily be made more than six Elder Dragons. You are correct that the jotun stalea is only the records of jotun knowledge - and jotun history is still being discovered, so it may be a *portion* of the jotun history that records six ED and five surviving sentient races.

We also know of three candidate races for survivors of the last Elder Dragon rise - kodan, tengu, and krait.

I do agree that Kuunavang may be the champion of an Elder Sky Dragon of sorts - I've theorized this myself in fact - but I don't think we can put any kind of number on the Elder Dragons, nor do I think that we can presume there's one in Elona - I certainly don't recall any mention of Elona is "now under clouds of smoke as oft as not."

Also: the wiki article for Mordremoth is *high* incomplete (due to the wiki's nature of "no speculation - just the direct facts") and also was originally written to be biased - and still kind of is - towards the supposition that sylvari are dragon minions (nothing but players' wild imagination points to this - just a tie to the Nightmare and, indirectly, the Nightmare Court).

Since this is a topic of interest to you, I'd like to point you to my three threads of investigation on this - though the first I'll link is out of date (from pre-release, based off of various interviews). I try to be as thorough and unbiased as possible in my research, unlike, I note, a lot of people who tend to ignore the facts that go against what they want (like the Pale Tree=dragon champion or the Six Gods/Six ED relation already-debunked-but-still-alive theories).

http://www.guildwars...h-elder-dragon/
http://www.guildwars...e-elder-dragon/
http://www.guildwars...uption-methods/
http://www.guildwars...-ancient-dates/

I want. I want bad.

#13 Kraviec

Kraviec

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[BTO]
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

While there is a possibility of more dragons (Infinity Coil was after all built by not-all-knowing Inquest), Trahearne's dialogue doesn't prove it nor even serve as a hint that there are more. He says that across the world dragons are rising. Well yeah, dragons are rising but not neccesarily Elder Dragons. Lesser Dragons, let's call them, do reproduce and their numbers increase. Then a fraction of dragons (ED's forces) grow stronger - the dragons are rising. I have no idea why do Elder dragons wait to strengthen up their forces while Kralkatorrik could just fly over Tyria and leave nothing but Sylvari but I think that mustering dragon forces is the process Trahearne is referring to.

#14 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

so that was the formation of a new star?  what links a star to an elder dragon?

and Mordremoth is the 6th dragon correct?  so that star was the signal of the awakening of mordremoth?

#15 SoulyD

SoulyD

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well everytime one of those dragons rises, it seems to have quite an effect on it's surroundings. So maybe the rise of an elder dragon also causes some sort of disturbance inside the mist which in turn spawns a new star / relights a old star. So accordingly to this theorie each known elder dragon could have caused the creation of at least 2 stars or a star was created when they came into existence and every time they rise it becomes visible and when they fall asleep again it turns invisible after some time.

Or those stars only get mistaken as stars and are somthing else entirely.

#16 Bright Star Shine

Bright Star Shine

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

Not to disrespect your research and such, Konig, and you know a shitton more about GW lore than me, but, couldn't Trahearne's line "across the world, dragons are rising" mean that the ED's are rising in power? Can't rising mean more than awaken? From the dictionary:

elevation or increase in rank, fortune, influence, power, etc.: the rise and fall of ancient Rome.

I like the idea of a celestial dragon and Kuunavang etc a lot, since I loved Cantha, but seeing how Cantha is put on a pretty lengthy post-pone list, I doubt they're going to start dropping hints already.

Just my 2 cents.

#17 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7636 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

It's possible, maybe even likely, that that's what Trahearne means, but Konig's theory is still a valid possibility. The jotun path of the Arah explorable also suggests that there is at least one dragon awakening after Zhaitan's fall... which does seem to be an acceleration of the schedule seen so far.

Certainly, we know of at least one dragon - the jungle dragon Mordremoth - which up to now has only been identified by scholars and researchers, and unlike the DSD we don't even have second-hand information suggesting that it's been active. Cantha's critter population also makes for a strong suggestion that there is some connection there with the elder dragons - either there's an elder dragon of Cantha, or Cantha is where the relatives of the elder dragons that weren't lovecraftian abominations or corrupted minions of same took refuge.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

#18 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostBright Star Shine, on 27 April 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

I like the idea of a celestial dragon and Kuunavang etc a lot, since I loved Cantha, but seeing how Cantha is put on a pretty lengthy post-pone list, I doubt they're going to start dropping hints already.
It only became such during the development of Guild Wars 2, due to the reaction of the Canthan district when GW2 had a demo elsewhere, iirc. That's 2009. They could have had that path planned out for quite some time, and they made mention of Kuunavang both before and after such in relation to Glint.

Even if they hint to such, doesn't mean that they have to include it anytime soon.

I want. I want bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users