#1 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

I know it is one of those threads again... BUT i really am torn between making a necro or a guardian. I currently have an 80 ele and an 80 mesmer. I absolutely hated the elementalist (well i tried really hard to like it), the learning curve is so high and i don't have that much time to really refine my skills. I love love love my mesmer. Right now i'm thinking about starting either a necro or a guardian.

Things that both necro and guardian offer:
Viable staff build (i love using the staff)
Cool animation
High survival ability

Guardian over Necro
I haven't tried any heavy armor class
Heard that necro has a lot of skill bugs
Stronger in spvp?

Necro over guardian
400 tailor
Love the ground AOE
so i can have all three scholar classes
just not much love for the necro in general

Suggestion and comments would be greatly appreciated

#2 Genlog76

Genlog76

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

so far i can tell you staff on guardian is not that great have lower dps then necro

and guardian is not rely a scholar class he can use some magic but he,s rely a tanker and can wear only heavy armor
he is beter with sword/schield great sword ore mace/schield

the 3 scholar classes are
Necro
mesmer
elementalist and ele have in my few the best looking animation skills

both can keep them self alive very well
necro with sucking blood ore use death shroud

and guardian with his buffs block skills hp genaration and so on
but i like guardian more with GS and orther hand sword/mace/schield

Edited by Genlog76, 28 October 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#3 Dave2009

Dave2009

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[VILE]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

I had the same choice and went Guardian, glad I did tbh. Great fun to play. I am by no means a hardcore player, but loving the Guard atm.

The necro for me got boring, very quickly. Only managed to get him to 30's or so before I changed to my guard. Never looked back since

#4 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

View PostGenlog76, on 28 October 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

so far i can tell you staff on guardian is not that great have lower dps then necro

and guardian is not rely a scholar class he can use some magic but he,s rely a tanker and can wear only heavy armor
he is beter with sword/schield great sword ore mace/schield

the 3 scholar classes are
Necro
mesmer
elementalist and ele have in my few the best looking animation skills

both can keep them self alive very well
necro with sucking blood ore use death shroud

and guardian with his buffs block skills hp genaration and so on
but i like guardian more with GS and orther hand sword/mace/schield

I heard that scepter and staff are more viable for wvw since that will be where I'm playing my guardian when I get it to 80 :)

#5 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7636 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

If you really enjoyed the mesmer...

...well, it might depend on just what you enjoyed about the mesmer. Depending on how you play, guardians can feel pretty close to mesmers if mesmers lacked illusions and were more focused on controlling the area around them rather then picking out a single target to mess up the way mesmers tend to. Okay, those are pretty fundamental differences, but both certainly have a feel of surviving through preventing and punishing enemy attacks.

Necromancer I'm not as familiar with, but from what I've played, they're pretty much all about the conditions, so if what you enjoy about mesmers is condition stacking, then necromancer might be the way to go. That said, I haven't really got the hang of necromancer, while I find switching from guardian to mesmer to be fairly easy to do (a more fundamental change than switching weapons, but not as much as a shift in thinking as, say, switching to elementalist. Or necromancer). Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you, but I would say that in my experience guardian is different enough to be distinct, but similar enough that if you like the mesmer and it isn't purely about the illusions, you'll probably also like the guardian.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

#6 Andlát

Andlát

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2679 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dius]

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

What kind of WvW do you want to go for ? If you want to roam around with a small group of friends, then I think the guardian is better for you. If you want to be able to go for sieges early on, then I recommend the necromancer.

In high levels in WvW, however, the guardian, if equipped and specced right, can live through insane ammounts of punishment. The necromancer is much squishier but provides a lot of AoE staff dmg, and you can trait his wells to make them ground targeted aoes instead of casting them under your feet.

On the topic of staffs :

You have much higher DPS with the necromancer staff and you can place your marks on gates and walls and hit enemies close to them. You can also put your marks from big range (1200), which allows you to spam AoE while standing on the top of your fortification. Th staff's auto attack is a slow moving projectile that deals direct dmg at 1200 range.

The guardian, however, has greater support abilities with his staff, such as  AoE heals and buffs.The auto attack is a wave which hits up to 5 enemies within 600 range.

Both classes have CC with their staff weapons - the necromancer has a 1s AoE fear, and the guardians has an impassable line with 5s duration.

On the topic of scepter:

The necromancer scepter is all about DoTs, mainly bleeds. He has an AoE cripple as a soft CC and a skill which does more dmg the more conditions you stacked on an ally. The weapon is most often accompanied by an offhand dagger, for additional bleeds and condition transfer.

The guardian scepter is more DD orientated. It has a single target immobilize as a hard CC and a skill which deals dmg to foes in a targeted area.The guardian scepter's auto attack has a range of 1200, which is greater than the necromancer's (900), and is, much like the one of the necromancer staff, a slow moving projectile. The scepter is often accompanied by a shield for additional protection and sustain, or a focus as a hybrid between dmg and protection.

Hope that helps at least a little bit.

#7 Genlog76

Genlog76

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

View Postdeitiesforce, on 29 October 2012 - 07:27 AM, said:

I heard that scepter and staff are more viable for wvw since that will be where I'm playing my guardian when I get it to 80 :)

ok nice ^^
but like others say to you dont have the dps like the 3 real staff users ele necro and mesmer they are far beter with staff then guardian
but if you wanne play a suport role then its fine

but i recommen to get in your second slot a schield with mace ore sword
it help your friend alot guardian is a suport class not rely a dps class cannon like warrior

you can make him more dps but he have  very low HP pool
in the mist i saw i had only 13k -.-
my ele have more then that lol she about 17k hp
mesmer have 21k
necro i fogot only when i trans form in that demon thing forgot name XD i had 35k hp ^^

so i think is best to play your guardian as a tank/suport role with your friends am sure they gone like that ^^

#8 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

One more question. Does necro staff skills do direct damage at all? Or is it just damage through conditions only. I don't mind doing moderate damage but I don't really like to rely entirely on conditions to do damage.

#9 Genlog76

Genlog76

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

with necro staff you can even put some kind of traps on the floor
here a list of staff skills

Staff

Posted Image Necrotic Grasp 0.75¾ Send out a grasping hand that damages foes in a line and grants you life force. 2

Posted Image Mark of Blood Mark 0.75¾ 6 Inscribe a mark that bleeds foes when they trigger it, and grants regeneration to allies. 3

Posted Image Chilblains Mark 0.75¾ 20 Inscribe a mark that chills foes when they trigger it, and leaves a poisonous area. 4

Posted Image Putrid Mark Mark 0.75¾ 25 Inscribe a mark that transfers conditions from allies to foes when they trigger it. 5

Posted Image Reaper's Mark Mark 0.75¾ 40 Inscribe a mark that causes fear when foes trigger it.

so yea its like a trap to they never no what hit them if the walk over it
and what you ask i think they do direct damege to

#10 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostGenlog76, on 30 October 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

with necro staff you can even put some kind of traps on the floor
here a list of staff skills

Staff
                                                        1                            

Posted Image                                Necrotic Grasp                                                         0.75¾                                                         Send out a grasping hand that damages foes in a line and grants you life force.                                            2                            

Posted Image                                Mark of Blood                            Mark                            0.75¾                            6                            Inscribe a mark that bleeds foes when they trigger it, and grants regeneration to allies.                                            3                            

Posted Image                                Chilblains                            Mark                            0.75¾                            20                            Inscribe a mark that chills foes when they trigger it, and leaves a poisonous area.                                            4                            

Posted Image                                Putrid Mark                            Mark                            0.75¾                            25                            Inscribe a mark that transfers conditions from allies to foes when they trigger it.                                            5                            

Posted Image                                Reaper's Mark                            Mark                            0.75¾                            40                            Inscribe a mark that causes fear when foes trigger it.            

so yea its like a trap to they never no what hit them if the walk over it
and what you ask i think they do direct damege to

I did not know that. Thanks for telling me!

#11 Genlog76

Genlog76

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

you can even summon a army of demons to help you ^^
but most are not that strong but ea have a skill that can help in some situations

first you get suck blood from a mob and give it to you so you get hp back
but his hp is very low so if a mob atack him he die fast

there are some demon you can blow up XD always fun :P
orther you can let him teleport to your mob and chill him

for every demon a difrent task to slow down your enemy
you can even turn your self in a lich demon

so yea necro is a evil class XD

Edited by Genlog76, 30 October 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#12 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

View Postdeitiesforce, on 30 October 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

One more question. Does necro staff skills do direct damage at all? Or is it just damage through conditions only. I don't mind doing moderate damage but I don't really like to rely entirely on conditions to do damage.

Staff marks do deal some direct damage. Putrid Mark for example is all DD/ vanilla damage, with other utility effects such as being a condition transfer and a blast finisher. However for the rest of the marks, it's the conditions such as bleed, chill, poison (and a poison field) plus the AOE fear that we're more interested in. There are different forms of play but I prefer to throw the marks straight on a group of foes rather than lay it down and wait for them to walk through it.

It's probably also more effective this way since you can center the mark over a group of multiple foes and have the mark hit up to 5 of them rather than have one of them trigger the mark and get hit, and the rest of the foes don't get hit by the mark. Don't forget wells also. If you trait for wells to be ground targetted then they work like marks only that they persist for 5 seconds. The range of a ground targetted well is not as long though, probably more like 900 units instead of 1200 units like the staff marks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users