• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 taylorscottb

taylorscottb

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Can this http://www.cyberpowe...mer_Xtreme_1000 run gw2?

#2 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:41 AM

Not on those base specs.  You won't be able to run max settings.

I strongly suggest doing some research and building your own.  You'll be able to save hundreds compared to a cyberpower prebuilt.

#3 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1936 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

View Posttaylorscottb, on 26 October 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

You've got a solid start by going with a Core i5 platform, but that video card is nowhere near up to par. I don't know what screen resolution at which you plan on playing, which really informs what level of video card you need, but at lower resolutions I'd recommend starting with a Radeon HD 7770. For 1080p, an HD 7850 or GTX 660. That site is actually offering a free upgrade from the 7770 -> 7850 right now, so that would be perfect in any case.

You should also invest a bit more in a quality power supply, like the Corsair CX500 V2 they offer.

For some reason atomicmew feels the need to keep posting in multiple threads that you'll save "hundreds of dollars" by building your own. You might save a bit (likely not "hundreds"), and you also have a lot more control over what you end up with. But you know your limitations; if you can't/don't want to build your own, going with an online system builder like CyberpowerPC is the next best thing. Their prices aren't terrible and they have a decent selection of brand-name components.

Edited by typographie, 26 October 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#4 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Posttypographie, on 26 October 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

For some reason atomicmew feels the need to keep posting in multiple threads that you'll save "hundreds of dollars" by building your own. You might save a bit (likely not "hundreds"), and you also have a lot more control over what you end up with. But you know your limitations; if you can't/don't want to build your own, going with an online system builder like CyberpowerPC is the next best thing. Their prices aren't terrible and they have a decent selection of brand-name components.
You don't need to take a swipe at me.  I'm just posting my opinion.  Some people just don't realize how damn easy it is to put a computer together nowdays, and are just too scared to take that leap of faith.  What I'm suggesting is good advice, and it's unfortunate that most people like you who ostensibly should know better are apparently incapable of doing simple addition.  I'm sure cyberpower gets parts cheaper by buying in bulk, and that they pass those savings on to their consumers, however they need to make a buck themselves, and the margin is too small to be able to offer good price to performance ratio.  They simply cannot provide the same pricing when they require additional labor compared to stores just selling parts (e.g. amazon, newegg, microcenter etc).  

The part about saving hundreds is true, it's not just empty talk.  For example, here's a build that I threw together in 15 mins that  costs ~$700 and provides BETTER GW2 performance than a roughly equivalent ~$1100 build using the above cyberpower base.  

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W $48
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139028

ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ plus 8 GB ram promo $115
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157281

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 $269.99
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814202006

CPU: AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz $180
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819113285

Storage: Kingston SH103S3/120G HyperX 120GB SSD $69.99
http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=2416662

Case: any ~$50

or

http://upload.wikime.../eb/Box.agr.jpg

Edited by atomicmew, 26 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#5 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Postatomicmew, on 26 October 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

You don't need to take a swipe at me.  I'm just posting my opinion.  Some people just don't realize how damn easy it is to put a computer together nowdays, and are just too scared to take that leap of faith.  What I'm suggesting is good advice, and it's unfortunate that most people like you who ostensibly should know better are apparently incapable of doing simple addition.  I'm sure cyberpower gets parts cheaper by buying in bulk, and that they pass those savings on to their consumers, however they need to make a buck themselves, and the margin is too small to be able to offer good price to performance ratio.  They simply cannot provide the same pricing when they require additional labor compared to stores just selling parts (e.g. amazon, newegg, microcenter etc).  

The part about saving hundreds is true, it's not just empty talk.  For example, here's a build that I threw together in 15 mins that  costs ~$700 and provides BETTER GW2 performance than a roughly equivalent ~$1100 build using the above cyberpower base.  

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W $48
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139028

ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ plus 8 GB ram promo $115
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157281

GPU: SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 $269.99
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814202006

CPU: AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz $180

Storage: Kingston SH103S3/120G HyperX 120GB SSD $69.99
http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=2416662

Case: any ~$50

or

http://upload.wikime.../eb/Box.agr.jpg
Some people should not try to build a PC if they get a DOA part their through.
Well I really wish you could add better or at least post the right prices. You gave him a AMD processor wich he did not wont, left off the CPU cooler, operating system, CD/DVD player, and only have 120GB of storage. Also counting on rebates that you might not get. The price of the SSD is $99 not 69, Video card is $304 or 285 if you get the rebate. So not counting on maby rebates I came up with $965 for your build. Then looked on their site and I can buy this  $1053 with a i5 3570k, 7970 video card, 8GB Corsair XMS 1866 ram, more storage, and a CPU cooler. 3 year warranty and lifetime tech support. Also includes a cheap mouse and keyboard.
http://www.cyberpowe...Xtreme_2000_SE/
Made these changes

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0 Laser Engraving: None Internal USB Extension Module: None Neon Light Upgrade: None Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans Noise Reduction Technology: None CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking Cooling Fan: * Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant Motherboard: [CrossFireX] ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI (Extreme OC Certified) Freebies: None Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS) Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) Freebies: None Video Card 2: None Video Card 3: None Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive) Data Hard Drive: None Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None USB Flash Drive: None Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR) Optical Drive 2: None Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO 3D Vision Glasses: None LCD Monitor: None 2nd Monitor: None 3rd Monitor: None Speakers: None Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge Mouse Pad: None Gaming Gear: None Extra Thermal Display: None Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None External Wireless Network Card: None Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None Bluetooth: None Flash Media Reader/Writer: None Video Camera: None Headset: None Cable: None Power Protection: None IEEE1394 Card: None Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports USB Port: None Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 8 (64-bit Edition) (64-bit Edition) Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None Office Suite: None Games: None Ultra Care Option: None Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

Edited by Zerk2012, 26 October 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#6 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

The prices I quoted were correct at the time of posting.  Deals come and go really fast - you should know that.

He doesn't need a CPU cooler because AMD stock cooler isn't crap like Intel - you should know that.

(Of course, if he wanted to go Intel, he would need to spend more.  However, the 3570k isn't necessarily a better processor like you imply.)

I don't know what to say, other than you're ignoring point blank evidence that you can save several hundred dollars compared to a pre-built cyberpower.  Compared to the build you posted, you save a total of $250 dollars by building your own and waiting for deals.  If literally posting a build that is several hundred cheaper won't convince you, I don't know what will.  Continue to live in your own little bubble, I guess.

Edited by atomicmew, 27 October 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#7 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

View Postatomicmew, on 27 October 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

The prices I quoted were correct at the time of posting.  Deals come and go really fast - you should know that.

He doesn't need a CPU cooler because AMD stock cooler isn't crap like Intel - you should know that.

(Of course, if he wanted to go Intel, he would need to spend more.  However, the 3570k isn't necessarily a better processor like you imply.)

I don't know what to say, other than you're ignoring point blank evidence that you can save several hundred dollars compared to a pre-built cyberpower.  Compared to the build you posted, you save a total of $250 dollars by building your own and waiting for deals.  If literally posting a build that is several hundred cheaper won't convince you, I don't know what will.  Continue to live in your own little bubble, I guess.

How can you say several hunderd dollars cheaper when it's not please list the complete PC or beat the one I listed buy hundreds of dollars LOL get a life!
EDIT you would really buy that FX CPU for gaming over the intel :(
You saved $100 and is very low performaing compaired to the build I listed. And yes the AMD stock heatsinks are perty much junk also.

Edited by Zerk2012, 27 October 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#8 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

Post a PC with these specs for a few hundred dollars cheaper lol have fun. $1053
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0 Laser Engraving: None Internal USB Extension Module: None Neon Light Upgrade: None Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans Noise Reduction Technology: None CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel: None Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking Cooling Fan: * Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant Motherboard: [CrossFireX] ASUS P8Z77-V LX Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2x PCIe x1 & 3 PCI (Extreme OC Certified) Freebies: None Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS) Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) Freebies: None Video Card 2: None Video Card 3: None Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive) Data Hard Drive: None Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None USB Flash Drive: None Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR) Optical Drive 2: None Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO 3D Vision Glasses: None LCD Monitor: None 2nd Monitor: None 3rd Monitor: None Speakers: None Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge Mouse Pad: None Gaming Gear: None Extra Thermal Display: None Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None External Wireless Network Card: None Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None Bluetooth: None Flash Media Reader/Writer: None Video Camera: None Headset: None Cable: None Power Protection: None IEEE1394 Card: None Internal USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports USB Port: None Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 8 (64-bit Edition) (64-bit Edition) Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: None Office Suite: None Games: None Ultra Care Option: None Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT Rush Service: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

#9 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostZerk2012, on 27 October 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

How can you say several hunderd dollars cheaper when it's not please list the complete PC or beat the one I listed buy hundreds of dollars LOL get a life!
EDIT you would really buy that FX CPU for gaming over the intel :(
You saved $100 and is very low performaing compaired to the build I listed. And yes the AMD stock heatsinks are perty much junk also.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Are you saying I'm lying and that those parts weren't at those prices or are you saying that I should be able to guarantee you those prices RIGHT NOW?  Deals come and go all the time in the span of 2-3 days.  Obviously, I can't guarantee you those prices one day later, it's just not realistic.

Yes, the vishera is sooo much worse that AMD's top end chip is sold out on newegg.  ;)

You missed the discussion but Guild Wars thrives on more than four cores.  Hyperthreading and such benefits GW2 strongly in WVW zerg.  Also note that the chip recommended is a just released Vishera, not a faildozer.  Don't fall into the trap of being an Intel fanboy.

This is my last post to you unless you want to up the civility a bit.  I do have a life, and don't need to get one. But telling someone they need to get one anonymously on an internet message board, says a lot more about you.

Thanks.
-AtomicMew

#10 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

View Postatomicmew, on 27 October 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say.  Are you saying I'm lying and that those parts weren't at those prices or are you saying that I should be able to guarantee you those prices RIGHT NOW?  Deals come and go all the time in the span of 2-3 days.  Obviously, I can't guarantee you those prices one day later, it's just not realistic.

Yes, the vishera is sooo much worse that AMD's top end chip is sold out on newegg.  ;)

You missed the discussion but Guild Wars thrives on more than four cores.  Hyperthreading and such benefits GW2 strongly in WVW zerg.  Also note that the chip recommended is a just released Vishera, not a faildozer.  Don't fall into the trap of being an Intel fanboy.

This is my last post to you unless you want to up the civility a bit.  I do have a life, and don't need to get one. But telling someone they need to get one anonymously on an internet message board, says a lot more about you.

Thanks.
-AtomicMe

Well again your talking but you have posted no build to beat the $1053 Cyberpower build as I guessed you would not GW2 does not use hyperthreading or any other game SO I MUST DISMISS EVERYTHING YOU SAY SINCE YOU CAN NOT BACK IT UP.  Still waiting on a list of parts to beat the i5 PC I listed:)
REALLY THIS IS SOLD OUT YOU MIGHT NEED TO TELL NEWEGG SO THEY WILL SAY IT'S SOLD OUT

Edited by Zerk2012, 27 October 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#11 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostZerk2012, on 27 October 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

I guessed you would not GW2 does not use hyperthreading or any other game SAY.
This is flat out wrong.

nothing that will beat the i5 system I listed
Again, don't be a fanboy.  Vishera beats out i5 ivy bridge in many games.  Benchmarks have shown that Vishera beats out the 3570K in BF3 for example.Crysis is another example IIRC.

Also, I asked you a specific question, please answer it.

Edited by atomicmew, 27 October 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#12 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

View Postatomicmew, on 27 October 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

This is flat out wrong.

Again, don't be a fanboy.  Vishera beats out i5 ivy bridge in many games.  Benchmarks have shown that Vishera beats out the 3570K in BF3 for example.Crysis is another example IIRC.

Also, I asked you a specific question, please answer it.
LOL you made me PEE some please list/ link any proff :) CYSIS LOLOLOLOLLOLOL Those games are not CPU bound PLEASE LINK ANYTHING TO BACK THOSE LIES UP and I'm still waiting on the PC to beat the $1053 form cyberpower!!!!
Now lets get back to your lies about the CPU being sold out :)
Surely you can link those benchmarks you talk about :)
EDIT never seen you question just the misinformation your spreading.
GW2 uses 2/2.5 cores an no hyperthreading so your very wrong.

Edited by Zerk2012, 27 October 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#13 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Here is one review showing Vishera beating even the i7-3770K in BF3 benchmarks.
http://www.overclock...d_fx8350/10.htm

Here is a benchmark showing Vishera beating i5-3570K by about 50% in multiplayer BF3.
http://www.pureoverc...rmula-z-rog/19/

Vishera beating i7 in Metro 2033
http://www.overclock...md_fx8350/8.htm

http://semiaccurate....cessor-vishera/
"AMD’s FX-8350 offers 91 percent of the performance that a 3770K on an equally configured platform can bring to the table."

i5 certainly beats Vishera in single threaded applications (many games are).  I realize this, and I'm not trying to say Vishera is better in every aspect.  But in highly threaded games like BF3 and GW2, Vishera wins.

Edited by atomicmew, 27 October 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#14 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1936 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

View Postatomicmew, on 27 October 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

None of this is remotely relevant to the conversation. You can't claim to save him "hundreds of dollars" on a system and then put together a wildly different build as an example. If you use cheaper components, of course it will be a cheaper system. Put together precisely the same CyberpowerPC system with all of the same components for hundreds of dollars less and you will have proven your point.

I called you out because "no, that sucks, build your own" is not very helpful advice. This is a tech forum where people of all ability levels come for help. Of course its better to build your own, but if the OP doesn't want to go through with that, we still try to help them. The last thing we want to do is pressure them into building their own if they aren't comfortable with it.

Edited by typographie, 27 October 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#15 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

View Posttypographie, on 27 October 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

None of this is remotely relevant to the conversation. You can't claim to save him "hundreds of dollars" on a system and then put together a wildly different build as an example. If you use cheaper components, of course it will be a cheaper system. Put together precisely the same CyberpowerPC system with all of the same components for hundreds of dollars less and you will have proven your point.

I didn't say you'd be able to save hundreds of dollars right now if you buy the exact same components at full price.

What I meant was if you wait for sales, and buy comparable parts, you can save several hundred dollars for a comparable, if not better machine.  Do you disagree with this?  I think I've shown this pretty clearly with the build I posted above.  Vishera is very much relevant because it is certainly comparable, if not better than the i5 for GW2.

I called you out because "no, that sucks, build your own" is not very helpful advice. This is a tech forum where people of all ability levels come for help. Of course its better to build your own, but if the OP doesn't want to go through with that, we still try to help them. The last thing we want to do is pressure them into building their own if they aren't comfortable with it.
Okay, fair enough.  If having a little extra security is worth that much to you, then buy a prebuilt.  I don't want to pressure anyone into doing something uncomfortable.  However, in my defense, the OP didn't state whether he was against building or not.  He may not even know it is an option.  Learning about computer parts and putting it all together is a fun and positive experience for most people I'd think.

@OP: if you're interested, I'd be happy to link some starter resources.

#16 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

By the way:

Microcenter: 3570K + P8Z77 V LK $250 for both AR (instore)

Newegg:  Antec EA-650 $33.99

If that doesn't convince you that $100+ savings are possible over cyberpower, nothing will.

Edited by atomicmew, 27 October 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#17 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Ok guys and gals - lets take a chill pill and cool it a bit here.  Arguing over hardware cost comparisons isn't helping the OP one bit.

If you wish to prove a point, then post a nice, neat, and concise list of links to exact parts and/or links to reviews and benchmarks from recognized hardware review sites.  Keep if friendly and remember that you're entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean that you are always right. :)

*Some Information:  GW2 runs ~45 threads on average, and it does make use of all 4 cores, or even 8 cores.  It does have definite diminished efficiency after 6 cores, and somewhat after 4 cores.  Windows 8 helps Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs a bit, but it's still at best debatable as to whether or not an i5/i7 isn't the best option for GW2.  Overall, across the wide spectrum of recent and upcoming games on the market, and without budget constraints in mind, I have to personally recommend Intel for the high end gamer at this point in time.  AMD seems to be moving in the right direction, but they still aren't truly competitive in the High End spectrum right now.  Hopefully they get there soon. :)

#18 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostElder III, on 27 October 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Ok guys and gals - lets take a chill pill and cool it a bit here.  Arguing over hardware cost comparisons isn't helping the OP one bit.

If you wish to prove a point, then post a nice, neat, and concise list of links to exact parts and/or links to reviews and benchmarks from recognized hardware review sites.  Keep if friendly and remember that you're entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean that you are always right. :)

*Some Information:  GW2 runs ~45 threads on average, and it does make use of all 4 cores, or even 8 cores.  It does have definite diminished efficiency after 6 cores, and somewhat after 4 cores.  Windows 8 helps Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs a bit, but it's still at best debatable as to whether or not an i5/i7 isn't the best option for GW2.  Overall, across the wide spectrum of recent and upcoming games on the market, and without budget constraints in mind, I have to personally recommend Intel for the high end gamer at this point in time.  AMD seems to be moving in the right direction, but they still aren't truly competitive in the High End spectrum right now.  Hopefully they get there soon. :)
AMD doens't compete with intel in the high end, but the i5 isn't high end, the i7 is.  So of course the i7 beats vishera hands down, but it's $100 more expensive.  However, if you're comparing the i5 and vishera, that's a whole different story.  I also would have thought that vishera would not be able to compete against the i5 for gaming, but benchmarks have shown that there are a noticeable amount of game titles where vishera wins, and sometimes by a very significant amount in CPU bottlenecked multiplayer.  The most notable being BF3 multiplayer.  Also of note that the AMD am3+ socket will be good for another 2 generations, whereas the 1155 socket is a dead end after ivy bridge.  So if you're thinking about future upgradability, AMD wins there too.

It isn't "at best debatable" it IS debatable and simply comes down to what you plan to do, what kind of gaming you do, and whether you care about upgradability.

#19 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1936 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

View Postatomicmew, on 28 October 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

I also would have thought that vishera would not be able to compete against the i5 for gaming, but benchmarks have shown that there are a noticeable amount of game titles where vishera wins, and sometimes by a very significant amount in CPU bottlenecked multiplayer.

You posted reviews to games notoriously GPU-limited where the FX-8350 achieved a 1-2 FPS difference versus an i5 and called it a win. AMD very ambitiously claimed up to a 15% boost for Vishera over Bulldozer, and even that wouldn't put it where you say it is. Further, you've shown no data on where it stands in GW2. I had wanted to avoid this conversation, but this is flat-out misleading.

GW2 is more likely to behave like other games that are heavily CPU-limited (benchmarks which are conspicuously absent from your links), not anything like Metro 2033 or BF3. In all likelihood, it would at best achieve parity with an i5 at stock settings, and use copious amounts of power to do it. In lieu of proof otherwise, the OP made the right choice with an i5 platform.

I think this test setup gives us a slightly better idea of where Vishera really stands in games where CPU performance is important.

#20 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Just go to any computer parts retailer that can assemble and get this for a 60 FPS / 1080p GW2 setup. Assembly shouldn't cost more than 40-60 bucks. But as was said here in this thread before, assembly is childs play these days. Most of the stuff that requires thought is being done for you, just watch a good instruction video about installing your CPU + cooler and your motherboard, how to connect everything and you're set - also read the instruction guide with your motherboard for good measure. Make sure you ground yourself by touching the ground of a socket somewhere before you start.

I will leave the price hunt to you. The system below will leave you headroom for an OC of your GPU and CPU, and allows installation of a second GTX 660 in SLI (the PSU can handle it easy). Note: this system is not entirely on a budget for every part, it is built to last longer than 3-4 years, with USB 3.0, SATA 3 (for SSD) and free PCI slot. One GTX660 however will already be enough for today's needs and the cpu won't even break a sweat.

I just recently built the system below for myself for a total of 880 euro.

CPU / i5 3570k (alternatively, if you dont need or want to OC, take an i5 3450) However, with good airflow you can get 4.1ghz steady with intel's stock cooler - no extra work required.
Mobo / Gigabyte - GA Z77X D3H. There are cheaper options here if you dont want an OC or second GPU, but this one is built for upgrades.
RAM / Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP. (That's 2x 4GB)
GPU / Asus or MSI OC GTX 660. Best tested in the range (Asus 1. MSI 2.), good cooler, and this card has a great price-performance ratio. If you want the heat to dissipate more outside your case, get an EVGA.
PSU / LEPA G 650w. Very silent, 80 plus, great quality, modular.
HDD / Any 500gb - 1tb drive, Toshiba / Seagate / WD, 7.2k rpm and 64mb cache and sATA 3 are things to look out for here.
DVD / LG GH24NS90 - 24x burner, cheap but reliable

SSD / (optional) Samsung 830 series - currently best price/performance ratio, and these things just recently got affordable and will really speed up your loading + boot times.

Case / Recommended: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (or V4, is similar). A very nice budget case with great airflow.

Hope this helps.

Oh... and do not get the AMD versus Intel discussion firing here, it has been proven with the latest AMD addition that they really are behind for 90% of the tasks on CPU power. They consume more power and do less - if you are an avid gamer the price difference between the cheaper AMD and the slightly more expensive intel (its about 15-20 bucks) will be gone when youve had your PC running for a year because the AMDs are more hungry. i5s simply run cooler and are also easier to OC and will last longer doing so.

Note however that an AMD system is not by any means bad, but at this price point you have better choices with Intel.

Edited by Vayra86, 28 October 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#21 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostVayra86, on 28 October 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Just go to any computer parts retailer that can assemble and get this for a 60 FPS / 1080p GW2 setup. Assembly shouldn't cost more than 40-60 bucks. But as was said here in this thread before, assembly is childs play these days. Most of the stuff that requires thought is being done for you, just watch a good instruction video about installing your CPU + cooler and your motherboard, how to connect everything and you're set - also read the instruction guide with your motherboard for good measure. Make sure you ground yourself by touching the ground of a socket somewhere before you start.

I will leave the price hunt to you. The system below will leave you headroom for an OC of your GPU and CPU, and allows installation of a second GTX 660 in SLI (the PSU can handle it easy). Note: this system is not entirely on a budget for every part, it is built to last longer than 3-4 years, with USB 3.0, SATA 3 (for SSD) and free PCI slot. One GTX660 however will already be enough for today's needs and the cpu won't even break a sweat.

I just recently built the system below for myself for a total of 880 euro.

CPU / i5 3570k (alternatively, if you dont need or want to OC, take an i5 3450) However, with good airflow you can get 4.1ghz steady with intel's stock cooler - no extra work required.
Mobo / Gigabyte - GA Z77X D3H. There are cheaper options here if you dont want an OC or second GPU, but this one is built for upgrades.
RAM / Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP. (That's 2x 4GB)
GPU / Asus or MSI OC GTX 660. Best tested in the range (Asus 1. MSI 2.), good cooler, and this card has a great price-performance ratio. If you want the heat to dissipate more outside your case, get an EVGA.
PSU / LEPA G 650w. Very silent, 80 plus, great quality, modular.
HDD / Any 500gb - 1tb drive, Toshiba / Seagate / WD, 7.2k rpm and 64mb cache and sATA 3 are things to look out for here.
DVD / LG GH24NS90 - 24x burner, cheap but reliable

SSD / (optional) Samsung 830 series - currently best price/performance ratio, and these things just recently got affordable and will really speed up your loading + boot times.

Case / Recommended: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (or V4, is similar). A very nice budget case with great airflow.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad that was not me recomending  that mother board for SLI here are the specs I just looked up.
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 3.0 x16 1 PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 (x8, x4) PCI Express x1 3 PCI Slots 1

Edited by Zerk2012, 28 October 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#22 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Posttypographie, on 28 October 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

You posted reviews to games notoriously GPU-limited where the FX-8350 achieved a 1-2 FPS difference versus an i5 and called it a win. AMD very ambitiously claimed up to a 15% boost for Vishera over Bulldozer, and even that wouldn't put it where you say it is. Further, you've shown no data on where it stands in GW2. I had wanted to avoid this conversation, but this is flat-out misleading.

GW2 is more likely to behave like other games that are heavily CPU-limited (benchmarks which are conspicuously absent from your links), not anything like Metro 2033 or BF3. In all likelihood, it would at best achieve parity with an i5 at stock settings, and use copious amounts of power to do it. In lieu of proof otherwise, the OP made the right choice with an i5 platform.

I think this test setup gives us a slightly better idea of where Vishera really stands in games where CPU performance is important.
BF3 multiplayer is not GPU limited, it is CPU limited.  It is much like GW2 in that you can have huge amounts of players on screen at any given time.  See the link I posted where Vishera gained a massive 50% performance gain compared to the 3570K.

The reasons to consider Vishera over i5 for gaming are as follows:

1) Better performance on CPU limited AND well threaded games (BF3, GW2 - maybe)
2) Future upgradability of the am3+ socket (1155 for ivy bridge is a dead socket)
3) Cheaper retail price.  In particular, 8320 MSRP is 25% cheaper than i5-3570k!

I'm not saying the i5 is a bad choice, but stop trying to make it out like intel is the only choice for gaming.  Don't be a fanboy.

Edited by atomicmew, 29 October 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#23 moriz

moriz

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1553 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

BF3 is can be very CPU limited or not CPU limited at all, depending on whether if you play on massive multiplayer maps or not.

also, the FX-8350 gives a big performance jump over previous AMD CPUs in gaming. it is still not a processor i'd recommend for a new system build, but for those who already own a modern AMD platform, it is a very worthy upgrade. it is also a viable chip for a rendering/video encoding farm, since it can outperform the i7-3770K for less money, and almost match something like the 3930K.

#24 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1936 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

View Postatomicmew, on 29 October 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

BF3 multiplayer is not GPU limited, it is CPU limited.

You're referring to this, right? I outright don't believe that benchmark.

I'm to believe that at 1080p and 4x AA (GPU-heavy settings in an already-GPU bound game), you can nearly double your framerate just by swapping from the -3570K to FX-8350? It picks that game and those settings to inexplicably shatter all expectations and, I would assume, set new records?

If they did that bench in multiplayer, that alone opens up very reasonable questions about their testing methodology. But I guess we'll never know, since they chose to omit any information whatsoever about their testing methodology aside from the game and settings. I actually don't even see where they said it was multiplayer.

I'd rather you didn't call me a fanboy, after I suggested a slew of AMD video cards to the OP in post #3.

Edited by typographie, 29 October 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#25 atomicmew

atomicmew

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

View Posttypographie, on 29 October 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

You're referring to this, right? I outright don't believe that benchmark.

I'm to believe that at 1080p and 4x AA (GPU-heavy settings in an already-GPU bound game), you can nearly double your framerate just by swapping from the -3570K to FX-8350? It picks that game and those settings to inexplicably shatter all expectations and, I would assume, set new records?

If they did that bench in multiplayer, that alone opens up very reasonable questions about their testing methodology. But I guess we'll never know, since they chose to omit any information whatsoever about their testing methodology aside from the game and settings. I actually don't even see where they said it was multiplayer.

I'd rather you didn't call me a fanboy, after I suggested a slew of AMD video cards to the OP in post #3.
Yes, they did do their benchmarks in multiplayer.  Why is it so hard to believe that an 8 core vishera beats a 4 core i5 in a highly threaded CPU bottlenecked game?  Here is another CPU rundown comparing the i5-2500k with the i5-2600k.  (Basically, comparing the difference between hyperthreading).  They show a difference of 44% between the two, proving that more cores makes a large difference in BF3.

Edited by atomicmew, 29 October 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#26 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 28 October 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

I'm glad that was not me recomending  that mother board for SLI here are the specs I just looked up.
Expansion Slots
PCI Express 3.0 x16 1 PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 (x8, x4)   

Fact of the matter is, 2.0 x8 will not have any bandwidth saturation with any cards up to GTX 670 / HD7870 ranges in SLI/Xfire.

Specs and fancy lists are not day-to-day practice (we're looking at a 2-3% performance difference compared to a x16 slot). And that knowledge does save you money.

Edited by Vayra86, 12 November 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#27 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostVayra86, on 12 November 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Fact of the matter is, 2.0 x8 will not have any bandwidth saturation with any cards up to GTX 670 / HD7870 ranges in SLI/Xfire.

Specs and fancy lists are not day-to-day practice (we're looking at a 2-3% performance difference compared to a x16 slot). And that knowledge does save you money.
Why gimp yourself over 40 bucks or so.

#28 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

40 bucks is about 5% of this type of gaming rig's cost. You can do a lot for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users