• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Music Muse

Music Muse

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

Hello, I recently started a thief and I enjoy the gameplay, but I'm a bit lost on how to trait/gear my thief.

I have problems surviving in melee combat, and ranged combat feels a bit weak compared to daggers or swords so any advice on how to survive better in melee without having to resort to gearing for toughness/vitality!

#2 Music Muse

Music Muse

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

bumping this post

#3 Ensign

Ensign

Drops knowledge like glyph sac met shower

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well if you don't want to gear your character appropriately I guess you could trait to compensate; 30 in shadow arts and acrobatics, like - / VI / IV V XI / II IX X / - would probably do the trick.

#4 amon set

amon set

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KL]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

well if you really feel the need to remain in melee during dungeons I would have to say s/p or d/p would be you best bet while making good use of the blind skills so actual hits being taken can be reduced. I mean yeah, you can use death blosson with d/d but its much better to go with the blind than risking a hit. As in the above post, you can also compensate with traits. In the long run however, i would recommend traiting for steal and crit because they are much more helpful (in my own opinion that is) that traiting for slightly more survivability. While doing that though, you can get one or two armor sets...one for survivability and the other for damage.
  For the most part though, even though you may preffer melee in dungeons, i would recomend doing ranged just so you don't end up going to repair every couple minutes. But for anything else, melee works pretty well for thief.

#5 Music Muse

Music Muse

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

View Postamon set, on 28 October 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

well if you really feel the need to remain in melee during dungeons I would have to say s/p or d/p would be you best bet while making good use of the blind skills so actual hits being taken can be reduced. I mean yeah, you can use death blosson with d/d but its much better to go with the blind than risking a hit. As in the above post, you can also compensate with traits. In the long run however, i would recommend traiting for steal and crit because they are much more helpful (in my own opinion that is) that traiting for slightly more survivability. While doing that though, you can get one or two armor sets...one for survivability and the other for damage.
  For the most part though, even though you may preffer melee in dungeons, i would recomend doing ranged just so you don't end up going to repair every couple minutes. But for anything else, melee works pretty well for thief.

I also really love the shortbow, Is it viable in dungeons?

#6 dandelions

dandelions

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Yes I think shortbow is viable in dungeons. It does a lot of damage and has a spammable blast finisher so you can combo with other people's fields. I don't really see any point meleeing for the pulls because SB has a large aoe, a lot less risk, and has that combo potential. I can't speak for sword since I never tried it for dungeon (I got put off by the 15% dmge nerf) but sword with pistol OH for aoe blind is probably the best bet for meleeing trash mobs. Another possibility is speccing for condition damage and doing dagger 3 spam; I haven't tried this either as I don't like condition builds.

I use SB and dagger/dagger, glass cannon. It doesn't feel that squish (mostly if I die it is my own fault) outside of condition damage i.e. you are very weak to condition damage. On boss rotate C&D backstab and autoattack where backstabbing and meleeing is possible and heartseeker when it is low hp. It is probably not the greatest build but I enjoy the high damage :)

Also OP make sure to use healing signet rather than the stealth heal since outside of certain situations you will get more hps out of it. At least this is what I have found.

#7 BakaB

BakaB

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PAIN]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

View Postdandelions, on 28 October 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Yes I think shortbow is viable in dungeons. It does a lot of damage and has a spammable blast finisher so you can combo with other people's fields. I don't really see any point meleeing for the pulls because SB has a large aoe, a lot less risk, and has that combo potential. I can't speak for sword since I never tried it for dungeon (I got put off by the 15% dmge nerf) but sword with pistol OH for aoe blind is probably the best bet for meleeing trash mobs. Another possibility is speccing for condition damage and doing dagger 3 spam; I haven't tried this either as I don't like condition builds.

I use SB and dagger/dagger, glass cannon. It doesn't feel that squish (mostly if I die it is my own fault) outside of condition damage i.e. you are very weak to condition damage. On boss rotate C&D backstab and autoattack where backstabbing and meleeing is possible and heartseeker when it is low hp. It is probably not the greatest build but I enjoy the high damage :)

Also OP make sure to use healing signet rather than the stealth heal since outside of certain situations you will get more hps out of it. At least this is what I have found.

pretty accurate assessment.

S/P aoe blind is amazing for trash mobs but very useless for bosses as they are generally immune to blind (Unshakable buff makes blinds only 10% effective).

SB is always a viable option especially if you have an elementalist laying down combo fields. plenty of utility - evasion, cripple, aoe vulnerability, aoe blast finisher

P/P is slightly better dps than SB for single targets (bosses) but offers 0 utility. unload, unload, unload, auto attack until init regens.

D/D is probably the best dps build (crit backstab)

i run D/D & SB 25/30/0/15/0 in dungeons. strong dps with an extra roll and bit more health.

#8 Ensign

Ensign

Drops knowledge like glyph sac met shower

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

Short Bow is weak damage against bosses (it is an AoE weapon at its core, after all) but valuable for the ability to spam blast finishers in the right group.  The damage isn't that far behind ranged pistol.  It's certainly not a set to get excited about and I would never actively search for a Short Bow thief for dungeons, but it's serviceable if you're too weak to melee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users