• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bond

Bond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I have just downloaded GW2 on my new computer, and I was trying to log in when an error message popped up, asking me to send the error data to Arenanet.
When I click show details, this appears:

*--> Crash <--*
Fatal Error: Fatal disk-error (23) on read,
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 3608
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 15880
When: 2012-10-28T08:00:42Z 2012-10-28T09:00:42+01:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:14
Flags: 0

And...

*--> Error Logs <--*
Disk read failed with error 23 (incomplete): file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.dat'
Disk read failed (23): file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.dat'

It doesn's say anything on how to fix it, and I'm kind of clueless what I'm supposed to do now. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Edited by Bond, 28 October 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#2 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostBond, on 28 October 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

I have just downloaded GW2 on my new computer, and I was trying to log in when an error message popped up, asking me to send the error data to Arenanet.
When I click show details, this appears:

*--> Crash <--*
Fatal Error: Fatal disk-error (23) on read,
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 3608
Cmdline:
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 15880
When: 2012-10-28T08:00:42Z 2012-10-28T09:00:42+01:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:14
Flags: 0

And...

*--> Error Logs <--*
Disk read failed with error 23 (incomplete): file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.dat'
Disk read failed (23): file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.dat'

It doesn's say anything on how to fix it, and I'm kind of clueless what I'm supposed to do now. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3361 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

I agree with the above - it sounds like bad sectors on your hard drive. Depending upon the reason for the bad sectors, you may be able to continue with the drive after the bad sectors have been marked. In some cases though, bad sectors continue to appear and the drive needs to be replaced.

There is also the possibility that the data cable to the hard drive is not making good contact at either end, so check that the cables are fully inserted at both ends.

Edited by Quaker, 28 October 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#4 Bond

Bond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I did recently inserted a new hard drive, after my old one was dieing. Does this mean that I may have hard drive problems again? Cause then I should investigate some more.

Also, the data cable, is that the wide scard like looking cable?

Thanks for the replies!

#5 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostBond, on 28 October 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I did recently inserted a new hard drive, after my old one was dieing. Does this mean that I may have hard drive problems again? Cause then I should investigate some more.

Also, the data cable, is that the wide scard like looking cable?

Thanks for the replies!
Its the cable that connects to HDD to the motherboard.

#6 Bond

Bond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I get home.

I suspect that the data cable being loose is more likely to be the cause, since it's a brand new hard drive, but just to be sure, is it possible that some defect in my pc could be causing these bad sectors? Or is it just purely the data you put on it.
(If I'm asking something that's incredibly stupid, just say so  :P, still learning about the technical side of pc's.)

Thanks,

#7 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostBond, on 28 October 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I get home.

I suspect that the data cable being loose is more likely to be the cause, since it's a brand new hard drive, but just to be sure, is it possible that some defect in my pc could be causing these bad sectors? Or is it just purely the data you put on it.
(If I'm asking something that's incredibly stupid, just say so  :P, still learning about the technical side of pc's.)

Thanks,
I dought its the cable and it's not your PC just the HDD.

#8 Bond

Bond

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

sorry to bump up such an old thread, but due to circumstances I haven't been able to reply with the current standing.
Because unfortunately, I still haven't gotten it to work on my new pc.

I have checked the cable, and that was fine to my knowledge. (Also, wouldn't a wrong connection of that wire also affect all other stuff that I place on the hard drive?) And I have run the test acoording to that video. However, I don't really understand the results of that test. It's a big slab of text, and I can't find anywhere where it states, there is a problem, or, there is no problem. So, it would be great if somebody has some advice on what to do now.

I'd post the results here, but my pc automatically does them in dutch. I can google translate the whole thing, if anyone really thinks that the results are crucial to fixing this problem, just ask, and I will post them here.

I really appreciate all the help. I'm just clueless on what's wrong and wouldn't even know where to start without all of your help, so thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users