• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cronag

Cronag

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

In most games I love world pvp. However, I'm not sure where the fun is in wvw. I'm not trying to complain, just hoping that someone can point out something I'm missing. Whenever I join wvw, I can't find where the action is. When I look for it, I get killed by a Zerg on my way. If I finally do find the action, it's just a cluster * of aoe and lag, I get a few kills, then I die, and I start over trying to find the action.

So what am I missing? I realize there's not supposed to be personal reward, but it feels pointless.

#2 Xom GW2

Xom GW2

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yeah I had this problem when I started WvW after a bit you get a feel for where the zerg wont be and how to pick people off.  Try not to just look for roamers take flag points and camps where you can.   The south area of the map tends to be better for roaming.

#3 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

You can always try to get some guildies and form a small team and take camps. If you really like to do zerg, try to pay attention to the commanders icon and most importantly the movement of the commander icon. Also, you can always use map channel and ask around or ask to be in a group. You just need to be alert when you are roaming by yourself, tbh a lot of time i see enemy zerg going and im sure they see me too, but if you are far away they won't move of course just to kill you. On the other hand, if you are not alert and right on their path, you can't really blame them.

#4 kozeljko

kozeljko

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWSI]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Running around in a small group taking camps is usually quite fun, especially if a commander asks you to do it. If you follow his/her orders it really feels like you have acomplished something, even if you control the camp for only a couple of minutes( if you use the "guerilla tactics"(I like to call em that way)

#5 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

View Postdeitiesforce, on 30 October 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

You can always try to get some guildies and form a small team and take camps. If you really like to do zerg, try to pay attention to the commanders icon and most importantly the movement of the commander icon. Also, you can always use map channel and ask around or ask to be in a group. You just need to be alert when you are roaming by yourself, tbh a lot of time i see enemy zerg going and im sure they see me too, but if you are far away they won't move of course just to kill you. On the other hand, if you are not alert and right on their path, you can't really blame them.
This is what i do, i do a guild run with my guildies we are like 5 or more people and fortify the crap out of the tower and make  the trouble come to us rather then looking for it. Run with guildies that want to do WvW and that don't give up when you lose that much. Last night, we had one tower on the map and were attacking the dragonbrand garrison and took it later. Even 5 people can make a difference on a map. Love seeing a golem and catapult destroyed with coordinated effort. =) I'm having fun even though my server is going down some tiers. >.>;;

Edited by Azure Skye, 30 October 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#6 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostAzure Skye, on 30 October 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

This is what i do, i do a guild run with my guildies we are like 5 or more people and fortify the crap out of the tower and make  the trouble come to us rather then looking for it. Run with guildies that want to do WvW and that don't give up when you lose that much. Last night, we had one tower on the map and were attacking the dragonbrand garrison and took it later. Even 5 people can make a difference on a map. Love seeing a golem and catapult destroyed with coordinated effort. =) I'm having fun even though my server is going down some tiers. >.>;;

There's always ups and downs. It's really most important to have fun, i mean winning is fun don't get me wrong, but trying your best and fail is kinda fun too as long as you get something out of it. SBI "beasted" out last week and it was fun. This week we are not doing so well...BUT im actually having a lot of fun because i can see people's determination and the power of anger (20 people wiped like 60+ in the keep yesterday) GL to you and your server!

#7 Ironfungus

Ironfungus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CRUE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Unfortunately the current state of World vs. World favors the large guild or large zerg. It's a numbers game, and unless you have at least 20 players running around together, you're not going to have much fun nor achieve anything significant aside from possibly tower defense (if properly fortified with defensive siege equipment).

If you're on your own or with a small group, expect to:
  • Defend towers or supply camps (including the fortification and setting up of the defensive siege equipment)
  • Take supply camps for a few minutes (doing just about nothing to benefit the server)
  • Do jumping puzzles
  • Useless PvE content
  • Get destroyed by the enemy zerg
To answer your question: you're not missing a thing. If you want PvP, just stay with structured PvP. It is far more rewarding and far more fun, especially when you only have a small group of friends to play with. Like I said, World vs. World is a numbers game that favors the LARGE hardcore/active guilds. Unless you're apart of one of these or you can afford to devote a good third of every day to being in WvW, then don't bother. Even so, it's a waste of time and money. What are you fighting for? Little bonuses to crafting and gathering that you could really do without? Gee, that was sure worth the 10+ gold I spent trying to upgrade, fortify and defend/attack positions. Guess it's time I go grind dungeons to get all that money back so I can go waste it again on a part of the game that totally fails to offer any sense of reward.

View PostAzure Skye, on 30 October 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Even 5 people can make a difference on a map.

Maybe, but whether or not that tiny presence of 5 is enough to make a significant difference to determine server victory is up for discussion.

#8 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[Jar]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

The rendering problems ruin the fun. They ever do something to change that, it's going to be golden.

#9 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostIronfungus, on 30 October 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Unfortunately the current state of World vs. World favors the large guild or large zerg. It's a numbers game, and unless you have at least 20 players running around together, you're not going to have much fun nor achieve anything significant aside from possibly tower defense (if properly fortified with defensive siege equipment).

If you're on your own or with a small group, expect to:
  • Defend towers or supply camps (including the fortification and setting up of the defensive siege equipment)
  • Take supply camps for a few minutes (doing just about nothing to benefit the server)
  • Do jumping puzzles
  • Useless PvE content
  • Get destroyed by the enemy zerg
To answer your question: you're not missing a thing. If you want PvP, just stay with structured PvP. It is far more rewarding and far more fun, especially when you only have a small group of friends to play with. Like I said, World vs. World is a numbers game that favors the LARGE hardcore/active guilds. Unless you're apart of one of these or you can afford to devote a good third of every day to being in WvW, then don't bother. Even so, it's a waste of time and money. What are you fighting for? Little bonuses to crafting and gathering that you could really do without? Gee, that was sure worth the 10+ gold I spent trying to upgrade, fortify and defend/attack positions. Guess it's time I go grind dungeons to get all that money back so I can go waste it again on a part of the game that totally fails to offer any sense of reward.

Maybe, but whether or not that tiny presence of 5 is enough to make a significant difference to determine server victory is up for discussion.
He is asking for fun not winning. :)  Fun>Winning.

#10 Cronag

Cronag

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for all of the insight, everyone. I've joined a guild that claims to be active in WvW. So hopefully that will work out. While I wait to find out, I'll stick to sPvP.

#11 asmodess

asmodess

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

There are a few things you can do in WvW to  help out the fight without having to run with the zerglings .

You can set up a small group of 5 to 10  and patrol your servers back lines recaping supply,camps, sentry, repairing gates walls etc and killing their raider groups hitting your back lines .

You can set up  2 or 3  skrimsh groups and go commando  and hit their supply camps, kill stragglers trying to get to their zerg, attack towers as diversion to draw forces away from thei off to split up and confuse the enemy while disrupting his supply lines . using hit and run tactics .

Or you can run with one of the main attack groups, either the main attack group or a secondary diversion group  there are lots of things you can do .

But for me either rear guard or skrimsh raiding is way more fun then  being another zergling 001

As far as reward goes either you like large scale  castle siege type warfare or you don`t ,  I`ve been doing  DAOC style RVR for the last 7 years ,  as well as i did the small scale instanced team based Spvp stuff in many games .

While the premade S pvp stuff is ok i`d rather knock down a castle wall and take a castle then just stand at a objective waiting for the flag to cap running around a small map

Edited by asmodess, 02 November 2012 - 10:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users