Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

I need mesmer tips, if any.


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lightingbird

Lightingbird

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Location:Saint Louis, MO
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Let me open by saying that I don't feel that the mesmer class is overpowered, easy mode, or anything like that.  I am just looking for tips on how to increase my chance of finding the right one to smack with my hammer or shoot them.  There have been times, that I have killed so many illusions that it borderlines silliness    I fully accept that it might be me, hence this post.  

So any tips?

#2 Generic Fantasy Name

Generic Fantasy Name

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 144 posts
  • Guild Tag:[REVE]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm sure you'll find all sorts of tips and tricks -- in the mesmer forum. Have you looked there, rather than in the general forum?

#3 Shadowrose

Shadowrose

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

I heard marking them with T (is that the key?) helps a little.

To be honest, to beat a mesmer you just gotta faceroll harder than them. Feel no mercy for your keyboard, go all out.

#4 Honeybadger Florent

Honeybadger Florent

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Location:Lower Echelons of Academia
  • Guild Tag:[DEA]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm sure the Mods will point you in this direction - but I'd say go check out the Mesmer profession thread and wiki page to check out the class mechanics and what the different spells do in terms of how many clones they produce and what the clones do (attacks, movement).  It's pretty easy to pick the "real" mesmer out by watching the animations if you have time/are not already dying of confusion.  But really crafty PvP mesmers are good about blending in with their clones (which is sort of the point).

#5 Shadowrose

Shadowrose

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostHoneybadger Florent, on 30 October 2012 - 06:28 PM, said:

I'm sure the Mods will point you in this direction - but I'd say go check out the Mesmer profession thread and wiki page to check out the class mechanics and what the different spells do in terms of how many clones they produce and what the clones do (attacks, movement).  It's pretty easy to pick the "real" mesmer out by watching the animations if you have time/are not already dying of confusion.  But really crafty PvP mesmers are good about blending in with their clones (which is sort of the point).
And then you face a team with 2-3 mesmers. Fun times.

#6 Symbiont

Symbiont

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2698 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NULL]

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

i play the mesmer myself and it can be tough to fight other mesmers who blend in so well. i usually mark the real one right away.
trying to spot their movements for the odd one out. but as a mesmer i can also just shatter and be done with the fakes, leaving the real one exposed.

#7 Skyro

Skyro

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

-Clones auto-attack slower
-Clones do not use any skills outside of auto-attacks
-Clones do not have offhands equipped
-Clones only standstill or move forward/chase targets and do not backpedal, sidestep, or dodge
-Clones cannot switch targets
-Clones spawn at full health, regardless of the health of the Mesmer that summoned them
-A Mesmer that is marked with a "call target" can only be removed by stealthing

That's all I can think of at the moment.

#8 Shadowrose

Shadowrose

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostSkyro, on 30 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

-Clones auto-attack slower
-Clones do not use any skills outside of auto-attacks
-Clones do not have offhands equipped
-Clones only standstill or move forward/chase targets and do not backpedal, sidestep, or dodge
-Clones cannot switch targets
-Clones spawn at full health, regardless of the health of the Mesmer that summoned them
-A Mesmer that is marked with a "call target" can only be removed by stealthing

That's all I can think of at the moment.
All of that fails when the mesmer just keeps spamming clones over and over and detonating them (clones won't stand still while they run up to you).

There is just not enough time to keep track of those little details when he just shatters them everytime and keeps making more and more, on top of the phantasms.

What an annoying and "antifun" class. Little counterplay and major frustration when dealing with a "good"  mesmer.

:(

Edited by Shadowrose, 30 October 2012 - 06:45 PM.


#9 Vihar

Vihar

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 691 posts
  • Location:Boston
  • Guild Tag:[Rage]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Speaking form the perspective of a mesmer, and an elementalist, I would throw in two generic tactics....

1. AoE. It helps if you can kill clones en masse, and not while they are in your face.

2. Conditions.

  I found that my Dagger/dagger Elementalist did very well against mesmers due to the mass amount of AoE and conditions.

  Now that I am a mesmer....I would say AoE and Conditions.

    You have to blow up clones before the mesmer does, if you can....and conditions are the gift that keeps on giving.

#10 Lightingbird

Lightingbird

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Location:Saint Louis, MO
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostSkyro, on 30 October 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

-Clones auto-attack slower
-Clones do not use any skills outside of auto-attacks
-Clones do not have offhands equipped
-Clones only standstill or move forward/chase targets and do not backpedal, sidestep, or dodge
-Clones cannot switch targets
-Clones spawn at full health, regardless of the health of the Mesmer that summoned them
-A Mesmer that is marked with a "call target" can only be removed by stealthing

That's all I can think of at the moment.

View PostVihar, on 30 October 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

Speaking form the perspective of a mesmer, and an elementalist, I would throw in two generic tactics....

1. AoE. It helps if you can kill clones en masse, and not while they are in your face.

2. Conditions.

  I found that my Dagger/dagger Elementalist did very well against mesmers due to the mass amount of AoE and conditions.

  Now that I am a mesmer....I would say AoE and Conditions.

You have to blow up clones before the mesmer does, if you can....and conditions are the gift that keeps on giving.

Very good tips.  Thanks.

#11 Skyro

Skyro

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostShadowrose, on 30 October 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

All of that fails when the mesmer just keeps spamming clones over and over and detonating them (clones won't stand still while they run up to you).

There is just not enough time to keep track of those little details when he just shatters them everytime and keeps making more and more, on top of the phantasms.

What an annoying and "antifun" class. Little counterplay and major frustration when dealing with a "good"  mesmer.

:(

The trick is to identify the real mesmer in the middle of the clones by noticing the real mesmer perform an action that clones cannot do instead of trying to identify which ones are clones, if that makes any sense. It's not that hard once you get used to it. While you develop a good eye for doing this, you can auto-attack phantasms so you don't waste time doing nothing, as you probably want to auto-attack phantasms anyway. Once you identify the real mesmer mark him, and now you know the real mesmer until he stealths.

Also a tip for shatters is to dodge into the clones so that more of them explode on you while you are in the dodge animation. A lot of times Mesmers will also setup a burst of pistol stun or sword immobilize + blurred frenzy + shatter, so in those cases you have to use one of your class' escapes. It's a little bit twitchy but not quite as twitchy as dodging a thief's backstab.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users