Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Quality of Life Improvements and Discussion


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

So! I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's noticed these little annoyances, and they aren't very big, but I'd like to bring them into the spotlight for this thread. They're basically just a collection of little odds and ends that really grind my gears in PvP, some perhaps bugs, others are just part of the interface. Feel free to add your own! But without further fanfare, here we go:

- The max zoom out distance. This is awful. Please extend this, as it's really hard to target something behind me or see behind me without using a key for it! And with bigger characters, it would be nice to be able to zoom out more too, since my Charr likes to hog my screen.

- Signet use recharge. Okay, so this one is a little obscure. When using signets that have a target-effect (Like the mesmer's Signet of Domination or the Ele's Signet of Earth) on things behind you or to the side, or trying to hit them during dodge rolls invokes a 5 second CD. This is ridiculous. It should just give me an error message or not use the skill. I'd even be okay with this being changed to a 1-2 second CD to discourage button mashing. But 5 is crazy, and I often find myself dying to one slip-up.

- Haste. Best boon in the game, and hard to get. On certain classes, it's impossible to get. With the ranger's quickness, it's easy to avoid with an immune skill, but my focus here is on the thief's and warrior's quickness skills. Not to single any class out and complain about them, however. The whole boon is overpowered, and should be toned down a little in either duration or effect.

- The stealth bug. Who doesn't know about/hate this? A good 1 second after a thief destealths, and you can't see them. Please fix. A 1 second window is huge, and I often find myself taking game changing damage in that little window where they're free to hit me.

- Cast bars. Okay, So i'm going to get a lot of bad remarks for this, but I'd really appreciate a cast bar. On some races, like Asura, it can be incredibly hard to watch for a specific animation. It isn't a huge leap, then, to say that Asura have an advantage in PvP. Some would say it's skill to watch for these animations. Skill isn't how big your opponent is, in my opinion. It's the timely interruption or dodging of skills that display accurately no matter the size.

- Health bars. They're a little small for my taste. Not much to say here. Maybe a little slider to make them bigger/smaller? That'd be great.

That's about it for now. Do tell me what you think.

Edited by Rrafaz, 31 October 2012 - 08:08 AM.


#2 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Guild Tag:[DGN]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Haste simply should be removed. As long as its in the game it cannot be balanced. It will either be hideously overpowered like now, or completely useless if nerfed to hard. Right nor for example, 100blades warriors with frenzy ready will kill you  in 1 seconds, yet without their frenzy they are pretty much a free kill.

#3 Scarlet_Blossom

Scarlet_Blossom

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1411 posts
  • Location:Right here.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostAetherMcLoud, on 31 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Haste simply should be removed. As long as its in the game it cannot be balanced. It will either be hideously overpowered like now, or completely useless if nerfed to hard. Right nor for example, 100blades warriors with frenzy ready will kill you  in 1 seconds, yet without their frenzy they are pretty much a free kill.

Which means that both sides are *ing terrible in your given example.

#4 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Guild Tag:[DGN]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostScarlet_Blossom, on 31 October 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

Which means that both sides are *ing terrible in your given example.

Or it means that one side was fighting for a point, already used up his dodge and stunbreak, out of nowhere comes a warrior killing him in 1 second without any chance to retaliate. But when the one side meets the warrior without having that advantage the warrior is a free kill because he is simply a bad player. But frenzy allows him to get a free kill once every minute.

Or it means that the one side doesn't have a <20ms ping allowing him to stunbreak the bullsrush stun and subsequent oneshot from frenzied 100b.

Or it means that in a game with a time-to-kill of below 1-2 seconds skill stops playing a part and the only thing that counts is catlike reflex and the lowest ping.

Edited by AetherMcLoud, 31 October 2012 - 04:35 PM.


#5 Typhoris

Typhoris

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I'd rather see quickness be something changed to bypass dodge/block or something like that :)

#6 Mekkakat

Mekkakat

    Vanguard Scout

  • Moderators
  • 371 posts
  • Location:Pittsburgh
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Remove haste.

Fix stealth.

Add cast bars (seriously not idea why it's not in the game).

Fully modifiable UI (like GW1).

Success.

- I want that purple stuff.


#7 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

View PostMekkakat, on 31 October 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Remove haste.

Fix stealth.

Add cast bars (seriously not idea why it's not in the game).

Fully modifiable UI (like GW1).

Success.

This is essentially what I want too. The signet thing is really annoying though.

#8 ak47_training

ak47_training

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostMekkakat, on 31 October 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Remove haste.

Fix stealth.

Add cast bars (seriously not idea why it's not in the game).

Fully modifiable UI (like GW1).

Success.

You forgot to add "remove dodge" and "make all ranged skills with casttime castable only while stationary". So that you can play World of Guildcraft here.

Well okay, stealth has to be fixed. But screw castbars and modifiable UI. Haste also imo has to stay, but has to be toned down. Severely.

Quote

Okay, So i'm going to get a lot of bad remarks for this, but I'd really appreciate a cast bar. On some races, like Asura, it can be incredibly hard to watch for a specific animation. It isn't a huge leap, then, to say that Asura have an advantage in PvP.
Your point is perfectly valid, but animation-based castbar-absent combat is one of the things that makes Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars 2.
IMO it would be better to drastically increase Asura size. Like, to 75% size of human or smth.

Edited by ak47_training, 31 October 2012 - 10:47 PM.


#9 Featherman

Featherman

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Location:Frolicking in Kalos

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

It doesn't have to be a cast bar. It just hast to be a noticeable graphic. A glowing effect perhaps.

View Postak47_training, on 31 October 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Your point is perfectly valid, but animation-based castbar-absent combat is one of the things that makes Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars 2.
IMO it would be better to drastically increase Asura size. Like, to 75% size of human or smth.

You should feel bad about this suggestion.

#10 ak47_training

ak47_training

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

Posted Image

#11 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostFeatherman, on 31 October 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

It doesn't have to be a cast bar. It just hast to be a noticeable graphic. A glowing effect perhaps.

This would be fine too.

View Postak47_training, on 31 October 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

You forgot to add "remove dodge" and "make all ranged skills with casttime castable only while stationary". So that you can play World of Guildcraft here.

Well okay, stealth has to be fixed. But screw castbars and modifiable UI. Haste also imo has to stay, but has to be toned down. Severely.

Honestly, what would be so bad about being able to change your UI? And since when has being able to customize something been a wrong move? Especially if it was just to make heath bars bigger, move the health orb, etc. We don't want a game that plays like WoW. The way you assume otherwise is just rude.

Edited by Rrafaz, 31 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.


#12 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

EDIT: Sorry, double post. Thought I hit the editor.

Edited by Rrafaz, 31 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.


#13 ak47_training

ak47_training

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Quote

Honestly, what would be so bad about being able to change your UI? And since when has being able to customize something been a wrong move? Especially if it was just to make heath bars bigger, move the health orb, etc. We don't want a game that plays like WoW. The way you assume otherwise is just rude.
I remember spending many, many sleepless nights and many hours to achieve that "perfect UI" for my WoW Arena team. It was a huge part of the game, proper UI made half of victory.

I never want to do it again. I want to play the game and know that I'm on equal footing with everyone else. I never want to lose again to someone who wins thanks to his addons/macro better attunement for that particular situation.

I'm sorry I assumed you meant WoW level of UI customization (some people do). Just moving around existing UI elements is OK, I believe.

#14 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

View Postak47_training, on 01 November 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

I remember spending many, many sleepless nights and many hours to achieve that "perfect UI" for my WoW Arena team. It was a huge part of the game, proper UI made half of victory.

I never want to do it again. I want to play the game and know that I'm on equal footing with everyone else. I never want to lose again to someone who wins thanks to his addons/macro better attunement for that particular situation.

I'm sorry I assumed you meant WoW level of UI customization (some people do). Just moving around existing UI elements is OK, I believe.

I agree. The addons in WoW were essential to play the game, and the hours of tuning addons is something I never want to do again.

All I want is the ability to see what my enemy is using despite size and how crowded the area might be. Casting bars would only do good for this game, in my opinion. Along with that, zooming out further and various other small custom tweaks like the healthbar size would take this game's PvP a step in the right direction.

Nothing like WoW addons though. If I wanted that, I'd just go back.

#15 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Guild Tag:[DGN]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

I find no castbars actually awesome. Makes you look at the character models instead of the interface. Much better that way. And * asuras ;)

Edited by AetherMcLoud, 01 November 2012 - 12:53 AM.


#16 RandolfRa

RandolfRa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

They shouldn't add casting bars, but I believe that only humans should be allowed to tpvp. Seriously though, knowing what the other person is doing isn't nearly as vital here as it was in gw1. Maybe they should add a larger, noticeable particle effect on the more powerful skills such as Moa.

Edited by RandolfRa, 01 November 2012 - 01:44 AM.


#17 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostRandolfRa, on 01 November 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

They shouldn't add casting bars, but I believe that only humans should be allowed to tpvp. Seriously though, knowing what the other person is doing isn't nearly as vital here as it was in gw1. Maybe they should add a larger, noticeable particle effect on the more powerful skills such as Moa.

That would be great, but still gives asura an advantage over bigger races. Even if it's a big glow, on asura the glow will be smaller and might end up being hard to see anyway. (Think heal skill glowing and how easy it is to see on a Charr, but not on an Asura.)

#18 Green

Green

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostRrafaz, on 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

- The max zoom out distance. This is awful. Please extend this, as it's really hard to target something behind me or see behind me without using a key for it! And with bigger characters, it would be nice to be able to zoom out more too, since my Charr likes to hog my screen.

There is a new FOV setting in testing right now. Put the following after the " in the target line of the desktop shortcut to GW2.

-testVerticalFov

It doesn't seem to work everywhere/all the time but when it does I'm sure you'll be happier about the FOV.

Attached Files


Edited by Green, 01 November 2012 - 04:39 AM.


#19 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostGreen, on 01 November 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

There is a new FOV setting in testing right now. Put the following after the " in the target line of the desktop shortcut to GW2.

-testVerticalFov

It doesn't seem to work everywhere/all the time but when it does I'm sure you'll be happier about the FOV.

I've been trying this and am pleased with the outcome. It lets me zoom out a little farther, but not much. Also, the FOV is tailored to the character you're playing, I've heard. So since I main a Charr, it's even more noticeable.

#20 Kutsus

Kutsus

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 251 posts
  • Location:South FL
  • Guild Tag:[Tsym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostRrafaz, on 31 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

- Signet use recharge. Okay, so this one is a little obscure. When using signets that have a target-effect (Like the mesmer's Signet of Domination or the Ele's Signet of Earth) on things behind you or to the side, or trying to hit them during dodge rolls invokes a 5 second CD. This is ridiculous. It should just give me an error message or not use the skill. I'd even be okay with this being changed to a 1-2 second CD to discourage button mashing. But 5 is crazy, and I often find myself dying to one slip-up

Although I agree with some of these points, I am 100% opposing your opinion on this one. This causes you to accurately gauge distance and be cautious when using abilities instead of spamming the crap out of them until they go off. Case in point: Thief Steal. If they hit it too early before 900 range, it goes on a 5s cooldown so they have to wait until they're sure that they are within 900 range. This gives you more time to edge them out with your own ability at the 900 range barrier if you're a better judge of distance and punishes them for spamming the button. Same goes for all the other abilities, IMO.

Edited by Kutsus, 01 November 2012 - 08:52 PM.


#21 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

View PostKutsus, on 01 November 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Although I agree with some of these points, I am 100% opposing your opinion on this one. This causes you to accurately gauge distance and be cautious when using abilities instead of spamming the crap out of them until they go off. Case in point: Thief Steal. If they hit it too early before 900 range, it goes on a 5s cooldown so they have to wait until they're sure that they are within 900 range. This gives you more time to edge them out with your own ability at the 900 range barrier if you're a better judge of distance and punishes them for spamming the button. Same goes for all the other abilities, IMO.

My point here is that 5 seconds is a little TOO punishing for a skill that can easily fail when you're within range and the only thing stopping you from casting it is which direction you're facing. Especially when within that 5 seconds a warrior or thief (or any class with burst, really) can down you if you have no other tools. As for the thief's steal, that can be justified to have a recharge, since it can be used from any direction and isn't too vital to saving your life.

Edited by Rrafaz, 01 November 2012 - 09:10 PM.


#22 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Guild Tag:[DGN]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Nothing prevents you from moving and turning while casting the sigil...

#23 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostAetherMcLoud, on 02 November 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Nothing prevents you from moving and turning while casting the sigil...

Still not my point.

But ever since dying to this a lot of time I have been turning and making sure my ducks are in a row before casting it, so it's not as punishing. But still, I always slip up sometime, and when I do, the long recharge feels like a death sentence. It should instead be a smaller punishment and not so harsh for just slipping up once.

#24 AetherMcLoud

AetherMcLoud

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Location:127.0.0.1
  • Guild Tag:[DGN]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Well the whole point of not being able to cast behind your back (like a lot of signets were able to and were fixed with recent patches) is that you're punished if you make the mistake of not turning / canceling the cast in time.

#25 Rrafaz

Rrafaz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SF]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

I'm not asking to be able to cast it behind my back. I'm asking for a less punishing punishment. 2 seconds would be fine.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users