Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 5 votes

Endgame Lodestone Farming Guide


  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hey everyone! So I've seen the questions asked dozens upon dozens of times "where can I farm XXX Lodestone?". Now the thing is not all Lodestones are able to be farmed and not all of them are able to be farmed reliably.

My hope with this post is to make some of the information surrounding farming these and acquiring them in general easier to obtain and become more "common knowledge" if you will.

Let's start with the easiest and most well known one, Corrupted Lodestones. Now before I get started just one quick thing. I will give a small bit of information on the farming location, generally where to find it and farm it which is really all you would need to get started. However if you'd like more information I have videos covering each of these locations and long write ups on my website. I'll be providing links to both of these with each location.

Corrupted Lodestones

These can commonly be farmed in Frostgorge sound by Icefloe WP (central Frostgorge) and up in the Drakkur Spurs portion of the map in northwestern Frostgorge. They drop from Icebrood Colossus.

Youtube Video of this location:

My Website's Written Guide: http://www.almarsgui...ns/icebrood.cfm

Onyx Lodestones

Onyx Lodestones can drop from Earth Elementals in Malchor's Leap and Cursed Shore but only Malchor's is reliable to farm. The Earth Elementals aren't always up and can be found west of Pagga's Waypoint when they are.

Youtube Video:

Written Guide: http://www.almarsgui...yxlodestone.cfm

Charged Lodestones

There are three different locations in the game for players to farm Charged Lodestones. Two of these locations are in Cursed Shore and one is in Malchor's Leap at the Cathedral of Zephyrs; both are only available when your server has control of The Cathedral of Zephyrs in Malchor's Leap. The Sparks which you'll be killing for a chance at the Charged Lodestones spawn in two different locations of Cursed Shore. One of these locations is far to the north above Caer Shadowfen Waypoint and another location is just west of Arah Waypoint. Both of these locations can be found below.

Written Guide: http://www.almarsgui...edlodestone.cfm

Video Guide 1:

That's all I have for now but I am working on getting other guides up for the other Lodestones. I should have Destroyer and Molten done by the end of the day today if not tomorrow.

Edited by AlmarWinfield, 15 November 2012 - 12:24 AM.


#2 Satoncald

Satoncald

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

Sweet, thanks for the onyx/charged lodestone locations.. aiming for eternity, will use this information for good :).

#3 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

As an update from another post I made of the same thing on the Gw2 site:

""


Charged lodestones can also be farmed in Malchor’s Leap.

Corrupted Lodestones can also be farmed at the temple of grenth in cursed shore.

Molten Lodestones can be found on the fire eles in cursed shore.


""


Definitely something to keep in mind, I'll be making more guides for those locations as the week goes on


#4 Prismatics

Prismatics

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

CoE dungeon also can give Charged Lodestones from chests.
For any lodestone, if you need them for a legendary, you have a chance of getting them from Mystic Clover crafting.

Lodestone farming is pretty much not a viable option due to the absurdly low drop rate and DR kicking in. It's not uncommon to farm 1 in 4 hours or more with 150% MF, or maybe none at all.

Unfortunately for anyone who wants to make something that needs Charged Lodestones, the prices are so ridiculously high that buying is also out of the picture. It even costs almost 1.5x more to upgrade cores to lodestones for some reason. Someone's likely trying to corner the market on both the cores and lodestones (judging from the pattern of buy orders) I suspect.

Edited by Prismatics, 31 October 2012 - 08:17 PM.


#5 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostPrismatics, on 31 October 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

CoE dungeon also can give Charged Lodestones from chests.
For any lodestone, if you need them for a legendary, you have a chance of getting them from Mystic Clover crafting.

Lodestone farming is pretty much not a viable option due to the absurdly low drop rate and DR kicking in. It's not uncommon to farm 1 in 4 hours or more with 150% MF, or maybe none at all.

Unfortunately for anyone who wants to make something that needs Charged Lodestones, the prices are so ridiculously high that buying is also out of the picture. It even costs almost 1.5x more to upgrade cores to lodestones for some reason. Someone's likely trying to corner the market on both the cores and lodestones I suspect.

I upgrade cores to lodestones almost all the time and it doesn't cost more if you choose to "buy" the item directly from the seller rather than "buy" the item from a listing on the auction house.

I actually have a video I plan to upload about just that sometime relatively soon.

#6 Requiem For Dawn

Requiem For Dawn

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Great stuff!
Moltens will be very appreciated :)

#7 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostRequiem For Dawn, on 31 October 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Great stuff!
Moltens will be very appreciated :)

for now the only information I have on moltens as a "permanent" farming location is in mount maelstrom but a lot of work needs to be done before i can make a guide. In other words i need to research the location.

#8 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 AM

Added the second Cursed Shore location for Charged Lodestones. Need to wait until my server retakes the Zephyrs place in order to do Malchor's though.



#9 Knuckledust13

Knuckledust13

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 470 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

So.. what part of farming 4 hours to get one lodestone is exactly fun, ArenaNet?

#10 malevolence

malevolence

    Vanguard Scout

  • Community Contributors
  • 422 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LMBO]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

Nice guide, I was farming lodestones a lot, sold a lot too :) , about the corrupted lodestones, I can confirm they do drop also from:

-Corrupted Quaggans.
-Veteran Corrupted Quaggans.
-Sons of Svanir.
-Veteran Sons of Svanir.
-Both Champions in Drakkar Spurs.

EDIT: I did notice that Veterans and Champions have greater chance of dropping them.

@Requiem For Dawn , Molten Lodestones drops from the Fire Ruby elementals (forgot the name) in Anchorage Waypoint (Cursed Shore) when contested and another area just before reaching Arah Waypoint. In  Arah Waypoint random Elementals keep spawning, one of them are the Sparks (that drops Charged Lodestones) and again the Fire Ruby elementals (Molten Lodestones).

@Prismatics, Charged Lodestones are the easiest ones, and to be honest, they are the ones I get the most, I have like almost always 1 to 2 drops per Orichalcum run. And about Magic Find, let me tell you this, one day, I did the Sparks farming for 1 hour with my Guardian in MF gear (almost 200% MF) and got nothing, the other day I was with my necro (0% MF) and got 2 in 5 minutes, the first two sparks I killed, dropped them. I think that chances, with or without MF are not significant enough.

Edited by malevolence, 01 November 2012 - 04:30 AM.


#11 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postmalevolence, on 01 November 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

@Requiem For Dawn , Molten Lodestones drops from the Fire Ruby demons (forgot the name) in Anchorage Waypoint (Cursed Shore) when contested and another area just before reaching Arah Waypoint. In  Arah Waypoint random Elementals keep spawning, one of them are the Sparks (that drops Charged Lodestones) and again the Fire Ruby demons (Molten Lodestones).

Embers, during the Contender event 3rd stage. Also yes another area near the Arah waypoint has embers attacking non-stop as well. I wasn't aware of the sparks part, as I'm looking for charged lodestones, thanks for the guide. I got one molten lodestone after lots of Contender event farming :D and that with full MF gear, banners, food and booster. Funny, I got an Onyx core from a centaur the other day in WvW while they were attacking our camp :P and it popped out of one of those heavy supply bags. Weird things happen in this game at times!

#12 Requiem For Dawn

Requiem For Dawn

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postmalevolence, on 01 November 2012 - 04:17 AM, said:

@Requiem For Dawn , Molten Lodestones drops from the Fire Ruby elementals (forgot the name) in Anchorage Waypoint (Cursed Shore) when contested and another area just before reaching Arah Waypoint. In  Arah Waypoint random Elementals keep spawning, one of them are the Sparks (that drops Charged Lodestones) and again the Fire Ruby elementals (Molten Lodestones).
Thanks I'll check it out (and btw they are called Embers :) )

View Postphani_kaushik, on 01 November 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

Embers, during the Contender event 3rd stage. Also yes another area near the Arah waypoint has embers attacking non-stop as well. I wasn't aware of the sparks part, as I'm looking for charged lodestones, thanks for the guide. I got one molten lodestone after lots of Contender event farming :D and that with full MF gear, banners, food and booster. Funny, I got an Onyx core from a centaur the other day in WvW while they were attacking our camp :P and it popped out of one of those heavy supply bags. Weird things happen in this game at times!
While I am farming at CS all the time because I also require the karma for my Juggernaut I do rush for the ember that spawn with the 3rd boss in the arena event. The only problem is that this event happens about every 15min or so and the mass of people demolish every normal mob in a matter of seconds

#13 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

View PostRequiem For Dawn, on 01 November 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

While I am farming at CS all the time because I also require the karma for my Juggernaut I do rush for the ember that spawn with the 3rd boss in the arena event. The only problem is that this event happens about every 15min or so and the mass of people demolish every normal mob in a matter of seconds

I understand and have had this problem myself lots of times. Hope you're joining a farming party so you get credit for tagging mobs that your group members have also tagged. Also you might have noticed people know when to expect which kind of mob over there :D. As soon as the 2nd stage veteran's health is at 20%, I rush to the spot where the embers spawn and do my whirlwind attack with GS so I tag all of them for a really good damage. Be careful to step out of  the area asap tho, as they all drop AoE Lava font that can kill anyone in seconds. I usually get some opal shards & stuff which can sell for a good price.

#14 omar316

omar316

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 323 posts
  • Location:Singapore
  • Guild Tag:[BRG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

I find that Destroyer Cores and Lodestones are most common in these locations or mobs:
Dredge Heavy mining bag :Frostgorge
Sorrow's Embrace chest and Dredge Mining bags
Destroyer crabs from Mount Maelstrom( extremely low chance )
Destroyer mobs when Mount Maelstrom is contested ( very high chance ) can get 1 or 2 per run, but mostly cores and not full lodestones.

#15 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

The farming location in Mount Maelstrom is one I have been testing off and on for awhile now. I'm curious if the Earth Elementals there also have a chance of dropping Onyx Cores of if it's just the destroyer crabs that drop goodies. I've farmed there for a little while and not gotten anything but I'm about to head back to test it out some more!

#16 Rytlock Bigpaw

Rytlock Bigpaw

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 613 posts
  • Location:Portugal/Almada
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

u know, I would waste 4 hours farming stuff and I would got more gold. Farming lodestones isn´t viable

#17 artemist

artemist

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • Location:Ooze Pit
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[IF]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well... there re much more Spark spawns for charged lodestones. I picked 2 Lodestones in 1,5h (~120%MF) near Cathedral of Zephrys. Its insanely  boring but viable 6gold in ~2h??

Edited by artemist, 01 November 2012 - 05:26 PM.


#18 I pwnd U

I pwnd U

    ^ the reason posting takes so long

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SMS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostRytlock Bigpaw, on 01 November 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

u know, I would waste 4 hours farming stuff and I would got more gold. Farming lodestones isn´t viable

Or they are farming lodstones because they want to use them and then sell the excess.

Good guide guide Almar. Though I think you need to find a change of avatar. :P

#19 malevolence

malevolence

    Vanguard Scout

  • Community Contributors
  • 422 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LMBO]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

View Postartemist, on 01 November 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

Well... there re much more Spark spawns for charged lodestones. I picked 2 Lodestones in 1,5h (~120%MF) near Cathedral of Zephrys. Its insanely  boring but viable 6gold in ~2h??

less than 1 hour for me, with almost 200% MF (or even without MF), today I got incredible drop rate, I even got a BL key lol Posted Image

Edited by malevolence, 01 November 2012 - 10:07 PM.


#20 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostI pwnd U, on 01 November 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Or they are farming lodstones because they want to use them and then sell the excess.

Good guide guide Almar. Though I think you need to find a change of avatar. :P

I must say sir, your Avatar is the best! ;)

For any of those following this thread I added a Destroyer Lodestones Farming Video.



Tomorrow i am adding another Onyx Lodestone Farming Video and working on figuring out where to farm molten cores and the like. Also should make a written destroyer location.

#21 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Added a farming video for Charged Lodestones in Malchor's Leap:



Only a few more Lodestone videos/guides left!

#22 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Added another video for Onyx Lodestone Farming in Cursed Shore:



#23 brassnautilus

brassnautilus

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

so no one farmed charged core?
where would I go to find charged core?

#24 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postbrassnautilus, on 05 November 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

so no one farmed charged core?
where would I go to find charged core?

Anywhere you find sparks in Orr, farm those. You might get charged lodestones/cores. Am yet to get one though as I haven't yet started farming those, but that's where people get them from. I heard another dungeon also gives those, but not sure.

#25 Grumpy Gamer

Grumpy Gamer

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WARP]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hey!
Thank you for sharing these fantastic guides for farming lodestones. I have tried what you did with the corrupted and onyx lodestones, but I have to tell, after your commentary I expected that even I have the ability to farm them. I rolled with 95-110% magic gear (depending the charge of the sigils I bore), and after spending 3 hours today to get those damned corrupteds I finally gave up. Sadly, I still was eager to do some more and had spent about 1,5 hour in various locations farming onyx lodestones with the same gear. I even used +18% consumables, and made about 75-80 elemental kills, getting no lodestones. Drops were extremely bad, I only got 1 rare item the whole time, and the farming penalty seemed to kick in after the tenth kill or so. I would not like to accept that being lucky has to do with anything regarding this topic, as we are talking about 240 kills sums.

I'm not here to debate the concept of farming lodestones, because this SHOULD be the way of doing it. I'm really curious about the circumstances of your efforts. Were there any bots/farmers in the area?

My wild guess would be that the drop system works on some kind of drop amount/(area*server) basis, and since the bots are there every given time, they simply got them before us.

#26 brassnautilus

brassnautilus

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

View Postphani_kaushik, on 05 November 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Anywhere you find sparks in Orr, farm those. You might get charged lodestones/cores. Am yet to get one though as I haven't yet started farming those, but that's where people get them from. I heard another dungeon also gives those, but not sure.
well, if there was a lower level spark location to farm cores (60ish level), it might be quicker to farm those than lodestones

#27 phani_kaushik

phani_kaushik

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 399 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

View Postbrassnautilus, on 05 November 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

well, if there was a lower level spark location to farm cores (60ish level), it might be quicker to farm those than lodestones

True, lower level sparks are all over :D

#28 Elr3d

Elr3d

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I had one Molten Lodestone drop from the Ember that spawned during the Contender event in Cursed Shore (on the path on the Plinx chain and part of the Balthazar Arena event chain).

Each elemental drop their related rare component:

Earth: Onyx
Ice: Glacial
Lightning: Charged
Fire: Molten

With dragon corrupted elementals also dropping their own rare component.

Icebrood Elementals and Colossi: Corrupted
Branded: Crystal
Destroyers: destroyers

Obviously there are no high level branded. But if they are ever implemented in the game (and they will most probably be) you can bet they will drop their lodestones.

Edited by Elr3d, 06 November 2012 - 10:17 AM.


#29 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostGrumpy Gamer, on 05 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Hey!
Thank you for sharing these fantastic guides for farming lodestones. I have tried what you did with the corrupted and onyx lodestones, but I have to tell, after your commentary I expected that even I have the ability to farm them. I rolled with 95-110% magic gear (depending the charge of the sigils I bore), and after spending 3 hours today to get those damned corrupteds I finally gave up. Sadly, I still was eager to do some more and had spent about 1,5 hour in various locations farming onyx lodestones with the same gear. I even used +18% consumables, and made about 75-80 elemental kills, getting no lodestones. Drops were extremely bad, I only got 1 rare item the whole time, and the farming penalty seemed to kick in after the tenth kill or so. I would not like to accept that being lucky has to do with anything regarding this topic, as we are talking about 240 kills sums.

I'm not here to debate the concept of farming lodestones, because this SHOULD be the way of doing it. I'm really curious about the circumstances of your efforts. Were there any bots/farmers in the area?

My wild guess would be that the drop system works on some kind of drop amount/(area*server) basis, and since the bots are there every given time, they simply got them before us.

I've had DR kick in while farming Corrupted Lodestones extremely fast before but I was able to farm Sparks forever and never hit a DR as well as Earth Elementals.

Honestly with the anti farming measures they put in it seems like DR kicks in randomly and goes away randomly. However I still hold the "one lodestone an hour" as my average for all of the farming locations. After endless testing I seemed to always end with that average. I could farm for 2 hours say Sunday and get nothing, come there Monday morning and bam get 3 in an hour and then get none for 3 hours.

And at the Sparks I got none in 2 hours but 3 other rares that i could salvage and then we lost control of the temple and the sparks vanished. Came back a few days later and got a Lodestone in the first few kills.

Random is and always will be entirely random =P

#30 brassnautilus

brassnautilus

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

View Postphani_kaushik, on 06 November 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

True, lower level sparks are all over :D

namely?
I know places with level20ish sparks but that's too low.
There aren't a lot of level 60ish zones, and I haven't found any suitable level sparks.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users