To that extent, my build is a variant on the excellent baseline build described in this post
You should read the link first. I was using this build before I read it, but full credit goes to Strife025 for sharing and explaining the "how's and why's" of the baseline of this build - a 0/10/30/30/0 Emp Might/Altruistic Healing Build, well detailed. The essence of the build is that roughly 2 out of every 3 times you push any button (swinging weapon, using skill), you self-heal, sometimes for a lot.
My variant, which I call the "Guardian of Lyssa" build, uses the above baseline (swapping “Hold The Line” out for “Signet of Judgment”) with 6 Superior Runes of Lyssa to create controllable "burst defense".
I run the 0/10/30/30/0 setup with 6x Superior Rune of Lyssa that give +165 precision, +10% condition duration, gain a random boon for 10s after using a healing skill, and finally, "when you use an elite skill, lose all conditions and gain all boons for 5s". (EDIT: Math comparing 0/10/30/30/0 trats vs something with 5 in Virtues is in the 10th post)
(EDIT: If you can't get gw2skills.net to work, I listed every trait, utility, and what they do in general (and with the build) in post #29 below)
I couple this with the elite skill Renewed Focus, which you can now use on the run, to gain a mini "God-mode" every 90 seconds. It really adds to the "I self-heal and am tough to kill" synergy of this build, and is a guaranteed to work "Oh *&$%" emergency button that no other profession/build can match.
All Exotic gear (except the back) using Greatsword/Staff. With Lemongrass Poultry food and Hardened Sharpening Stones, stats are:
- Attack: 2,967 (Power 1,867)
- Crtical Chance: 50% (w/ Sigil of Accuracy 5%)
- Critical Damage Bonus: 52%
- Armor: 2,889 (Toughness 1,678)
- Health: 17,345 (w/Greatwsord. 19,135 with Staff - dropping power by 128 and crit to 37%)
UNKILLABLE + BATTLE TURNER ELITE
You get all the toughness, hard to kill, and self healing from the 0/10/30/30/0 build. You get nice AoE dps with 20% 2H skill CD reduction, Greatsword and excellent crit. You get damage reduction from armor and Signet. The big synergy benefit is the Elite Skill....
Renewed Focus with this setup is:
- instant cast, (EDIT: invulnerability starts instantly. All other effects below occur after 3s invulnerability finishes. Note that you can move the entire time, so it is truly "fire and forget" in terms of cast time)
- gives 3 seconds invulnerability while still being able to move (new from patch),
- removes all conditions on you
- grants every boon for 5s
- resets all virtues cooldowns, (can cast instant heal and aegis right after)
- gains additional Altruistic Healing (630+pts) from the multiple boons applied.
It is the most powerful single button Guardian action I have seen, and I cannot count how many times this has saved my life from the edge of certain death and turned a battle around in my favor, especially with all the boons now active. (Tome of Courage is also good, but you need 5 uninterrupted seconds to cast the big heal, and you can only use it every 3 mins)
Combo it with "Save Yourselves!" immediately before (which also breaks stun), and you have now erased every ally's condition while gaining every boon yourself for 10-15 seconds....incredible utility that is completely unpreventable.
OTHER BONUSES – FREE 4th UTILITY SLOT?
OK, maybe more like a 1/2 free slot. The Lyssa rune "gain random boon for 10s after a healing skill" is also a nice wildcard in any situation (especially PvP). It's like getting half of the Prayer to Lyssa utility for free, without taking up a slot, every time you hit the “6” key.
On second thought, you get an additional free utility from using the Combo of "Save Yourseves!" with the Renewed Focus elite skill and the Rune of Lyssa. The removal of all conditions, and granting of all boons is somewhat equivalent to getting the meditation skill Contemplation of Purity (turn all conditions you have into boons, 60 sec CD).
So yes, you gain the equivalant functionality of at least 1.5 other utilities!
THE SURVIVAL SEQUENCE
I use a Staff with a Vitality stat focus to temporarily get over 19,000 HP, and a Sigil of Hydromancy (freeze nearby enemies on swap for 3s). I shift to Staff when I just need to survive/heal without regard to doing dps. The "survival sequence":
- Swap to Staff - Freeze nearby enemies
- Use Virtue of Resolve/Courage (Heal plus Aegis on self and ally)
- Use “Save Yourselves” (move all allies conditions onto you, gain all boons, heal from boons)
- Use Renewed Focus (drop all conditions, gain all boons, heal from boons, invulnerable for 3s so that every skill is 3s closer to being ready again, reset virtue CD)
- Use Virtue of Resolve/Courage (Heal plus Aegis on self and ally) again.
- Dodge/evade x2 (with self heal) towards allies (heals them too).
- Buff stacks of Empower (self heals of 4K+ through might buffs to allies, heals allies at end),
- (optional) Symbol of Swiftness (to escape, also self heals for every ally it hits/buffs).
- Use your #6 heal skill (it should be ready again after all this, plus get a random boon that heals).
- (optional) ranged damage with Staff while waiting for weapon swap CD (1-2 s wait by now). Any crits (now at 52% chance with Fury) will self heal you.
- Swap to Greatsword, Leap of Faith back into battle and burst damage some enemies while buffed (crits at 70% chance with Fury, each crit will self heal you some more).
MORE INFO IN MY FOLLOW UP POSTS BELOW
- Exact Gear Loadout : Post #6 in this thread
- Why I didn't take 5 points out of another trait to put 5 in Virtues: Post #10
- Clarifying what happens (and what is meant) by "instant cast" on Renewed Focus: Post #16
- Very detailed post with math on using Signet of Judgment vs "Hold the Line!" with this build: Post #21
- Comparison between using a Berzerker GS vs the Rampager GS (Berserker looks as good if not slightly better in solo/small party situations. Hat tip to Zhaitan for the suggestion): Post #23
- Exact Trait and Utility loadout (for those who can't get GW2skills link above working): Post #23
- Comparison between Plate of Lemongrass Poultry vs. Mango Pie food sources (Mango Pie is fabulous with this build - I'm switching to it in many situations. Hat tip to Zorian51 for the suggestion): Post #31
- Armor tradeoff considerations and effects if you want to tweak or increase/decrease Vitality, Precision, Power, Toughness compared to the baseline I listed here: Post #60
- *Still to come: GS vs Hammer comparison....
Edited by Venyarth, 16 December 2012 - 05:45 PM.