• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 10 votes

"Guardian of Lyssa" build. Unkillable self-healer w/ great DPS.

guardian rune of lyssa self-heal altruistic healing empowering might 2h mastery renewed focus tank

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#211 DeAlchymist

DeAlchymist

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[REA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

So, I've been following this build for quite some time now because I had wanted a Guardian build with both great defensive and offensive capabilities and I'm equipped with just about every single piece of gear you've posted in post #6 with the exception of the GS which I used as a Knight's replacement over the rampager variant. (Power/Prec/Toughness).

I'm having a ton of problems with the build though and I'll list a few reasons why and hopefully you can fire a response and let me know If I'm over-calculating something or missing a very tiny detail.

1.) I rip aggro a new butthole like no end. In the middle of temple farming karma trains with 20+ people. I'll tear aggro from the most geared player there and I can only dance with these bosses hitting for 18k+ per swing(s) (which is sadly more HP than the build I have, has), a few seconds. Fully buffed I have nearly 17.8k hp which is very, very low and way out of my comfort zone even with all shout buffs/boons going, I'll get one shot. The weird thing is, I have 3.1k armor unbuffed. I've seen toughness builds often lately and I've got to be honest, I'm very unimpressed. Toughness seems like a very underwhelming, potentially overrated, near useless stat with the exception of its synergy with certain classes and builds in regards to stats; example being: 'x % toughness = y % precision or some other stat'. I've even substituted some pieces of Knight's gear with other gear choices and purposely took hits to gauge how effective toughness is, if there's any DR, (diminishing returns), at certain points of toughness % and if toughness is really contributing to character survivability. There wasn't a change in incoming damage and if there was a change, it was very slight to almost unnoticeable.

2.) I have 56% crit dmg burst % and I can't hit over 6.5k with 25 stacks of might going. The sad thing is, I have 3k attack unbuffed. Fully buffed, I hit like 4.1k attack with 25 stacks of might. I have 47% crit chance and the crits seem low, but I'm also new to Guardian so for all I know this is standard or even decent. Personally, given my low hp pool, I'm TERRIFIED to even bother running fractals or any dungeon path(s) given how often I pull aggro and because I get touched and I go down immediately. I don't always get hit, I'm actually pretty good at dodging but I can never trust say: lag, weather, something on Anet's end, client problems, or spastic bosses who suddenly turn around, complete 360 spin as they're charging a special attack because I ripped aggro right before he decided not to slap the tank but me instead.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Edited because I'm OCD with grammar.

Edited by DeAlchymist, 06 July 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#212 Lucav

Lucav

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostDeAlchymist, on 06 July 2013 - 01:10 AM, said:

So, I've been following this build for quite some time now because I had wanted a Guardian build with both great defensive and offensive capabilities and I'm equipped with just about every single piece of gear you've posted in post #6 with the exception of the GS which I used as a Knight's replacement over the rampager variant. (Power/Prec/Toughness).

I'm having a ton of problems with the build though and I'll list a few reasons why and hopefully you can fire a response and let me know If I'm over-calculating something or missing a very tiny detail.

1.) I rip aggro a new butthole like no end. In the middle of temple farming karma trains with 20+ people. I'll tear aggro from the most geared player there and I can only dance with these bosses hitting for 18k+ per swing(s) (which is sadly more HP than the build I have, has), a few seconds. Fully buffed I have nearly 17.8k hp which is very, very low and way out of my comfort zone even with all shout buffs/boons going, I'll get one shot. The weird thing is, I have 3.1k armor unbuffed. I've seen toughness builds often lately and I've got to be honest, I'm very unimpressed. Toughness seems like a very underwhelming, potentially overrated, near useless stat with the exception of its synergy with certain classes and builds in regards to stats; example being: 'x % toughness = y % precision or some other stat'. I've even substituted some pieces of Knight's gear with other gear choices and purposely took hits to gauge how effective toughness is, if there's any DR, (diminishing returns), at certain points of toughness % and if toughness is really contributing to character survivability. There wasn't a change in incoming damage and if there was a change, it was very slight to almost unnoticeable.

2.) I have 56% crit dmg burst % and I can't hit over 6.5k with 25 stacks of might going. The sad thing is, I have 3k attack unbuffed. Fully buffed, I hit like 4.1k attack with 25 stacks of might. I have 47% crit chance and the crits seem low, but I'm also new to Guardian so for all I know this is standard or even decent. Personally, given my low hp pool, I'm TERRIFIED to even bother running fractals or any dungeon path(s) given how often I pull aggro and because I get touched and I go down immediately. I don't always get hit, I'm actually pretty good at dodging but I can never trust say: lag, weather, something on Anet's end, client problems, or spastic bosses who suddenly turn around, complete 360 spin as they're charging a special attack because I ripped aggro right before he decided not to slap the tank but me instead.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Edited because I'm OCD with grammar.
If you are judging your ability to survive based on uber upscaled bosses in open world, I can assure you that nobody can survive those hits. You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to survive in just about any situation in dungeons / fractals in what amounts to a guardian anchor build. As far as toughness, its generally not worth the points because it gives very little damage reduction, and in fact can reduce your survivability by making you the target of the bosses more often. Its more important to learn how to time your virtues / weapon skills / slot skills / dodges in order to survive rather then rely on your gear. Lastly, lyssa runes are garbage, you would be better off using ruby orbs or soldier runes if you want to be more support oriented.

#213 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I pretty much agree with Lucav. Your survivability comes from your Virtues, Skills and Traits, your high armor does help a bit, but the difference isn't that huge. The main reson to get toughness is to be more "attractive" to mobs, so they focus on you instead of your team members, because you can survive the hits more easily (=anchor).
Coming from a full zerker mesmer I really felt unkillable with this build, it's very forgiving and good for learning guardian. World bosses are probably another story, but in dungeons you shouldn't have too much problems.

If you don't like the playstyle, you can try something more offensive like this instead: http://www.guildwars...guardian-build/
That's the build, I'm running at the moment.

#214 lazy thief

lazy thief

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KMS]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

I'm learning how to play guardian, and I really like using GS/Staff, so this build looks very appealing to me. Would you suggest changing anything in it for solo PVE levelling (and with regard to the latest update)?

#215 hurkit

hurkit

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I just came back to GW2 after a long break.  Is this build still viable?  If so, what ascended items would you recommend replace the OP original trinket load out?

#216 AMonkeyCourier

AMonkeyCourier

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

This build is trash and has always been trash. People just didn't know any better back then.

http://www.guildwars...guardian-build/

I think this is the most user-friendly guard build right now.

http://www.guildwars...r-elementalist/

This hammer build requires a bit more finesse.

http://www.guildwars...ps-build-guide/

The variants here are good if you want to run a GS but some of them suffer in utility for lesser-skilled players.

Edited by AMonkeyCourier, 28 November 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#217 Epixors

Epixors

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LSL]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Somehow old stuff is getting necro'd recently. This feels like Skyrim all over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users