Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Why Samwell Loves GW2

using forums as a blog less qq more pewpew

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm tired of seeing all of these threads about people crying over how 200 hours of content at launch isn't good enough. Here is my response to (for lack of a better term) cry babies. I'm not sure if it's because this is a curse site or if it's just because it's popular, either way there is a high volume of QQers. Ppl really need to find other hobbies such as SC2 or pogo.com games, then they won't QQ as much.

I love GW2 because:

-I have other hobbies to occupy my time. Online games at launch only have so many hours of content to go through, it's easy to burn ones self out on an MMO, and even easier to do it when there is limited content.

-Going for a legendary weapon seems almost impossible, even without the precursor exponent. The good thing about this is that no matter what you do in level 80 areas, the rate of gold/hour is roughly the same, which means that I am free to do whatever I want without feeling like I could be doing something better somewhere else. I will continue to farm for my legendary and leave the precursor for last. Hopefully by then they will have made it significantly easier to obtain. Rome wasn't built in a day as they say.

-WvW is fun! I always hated pvp, until now. Granted it can get pretty stale when two teams are @ population capacity and the third team is nowhere to be found, but that one con pales in comparison to the many pros.

-Dye system keeps me entertained when I'm idling. I have over 130 colors to play with. This is the first MMO to really do the dying system the right way.

-There is only one AH for all the servers. What a brilliant idea! The only people who really benefited the most from this were the ones who played beta/head start, but if you're that hard core to get to a point where you have beat the launch zerg, you deserve this kind of a perk. Once again the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. This was a great decision on behalf of the devs.

The point is that if you need this game to fill a void, no game can do that. You need multiple hobbies if you rarely work or have no RL friends. Either that or a psychiatrist.

================================================================
Watch this post fall off the front page of general discussion without a single reply.
================================================================

Edited by Graystone, 05 November 2012 - 04:01 PM.


#2 moomooo1

moomooo1

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Whole-heartedly agree!

Whilst I do at times let GW2 consume me for a couple of days at a time, it's extremely easy to put down to commit to other things, be it life or other games. But I'll always come back cos frankly, GW2 is such a strong base platform to begin with. WoW wasn't the content powerhouse it is now when it launched, and just thinking what GW2 will be like in a years time...

#3 sagasaint

sagasaint

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

oh, yet another "if they dont think like me they are wrong and here is why" thread

if complain threads annoy you so much, instead of doing your own QQ about QQuers, call the police and report the guy pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to read them...wait...do you mean NOONE is forcing you to read them? then just dont.

p.s: this is what I tot when I read the title


Edited by sagasaint, 05 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.


#4 Hep

Hep

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

^ irony (12 char)

#5 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Well sagasaint, I'm sorry if my thread has offended you. I have just as much right to post it as the flood of "i hate this game and i'm going to treat this forum as a personal blog and i could really go for a pitty party" posters.

It seems I may have struck a nerve.

Edited by Graystone, 05 November 2012 - 04:09 PM.


#6 sagasaint

sagasaint

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostHep, on 05 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

^ irony (12 char)
yup, its a well known endless loop. complaining about complainers complaining about complainers is also complaining. it goes ad infinitum.

Edited by sagasaint, 05 November 2012 - 04:12 PM.


#7 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postsagasaint, on 05 November 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

yup, its a well known endless loop. complaining about complainers complaining about complainers is also complaining. it goes ad infinitum.

Somebody read the first sentence and insta-posted without thinking me thinks.

#8 Heru

Heru

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Who is Samwell?

#9 sagasaint

sagasaint

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

View PostGraystone, on 05 November 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Well sagasaint, I'm sorry if my thread has offended you. I have just as much right to post it as the flood of "i hate this game and i'm going to treat this forum as a personal blog and i could really go for a pitty party" posters.

It seems I may have struck a nerve.
yup, you have the right to post. I just wonder whats the agenda for your post. I suppose you are aware that all you say falls in deaf ears, just like i guess that you dont pay any attention to the QQers.

#10 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Sorry I meant to say why Graystone loves GW2, my character is Samwell Graystone, but my handle here is Graystone

View Postsagasaint, on 05 November 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

yup, you have the right to post. I just wonder whats the agenda for your post. I suppose you are aware that all you say falls in deaf ears, just like i guess that you dont pay any attention to the QQers.

My agenda is counterbalancing and maybe adding a small dash of sanity to this troll fest we call curse.

Edited by Graystone, 05 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.


#11 Levelord

Levelord

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostHep, on 05 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

^ irony (12 char)

Not really irony.

There are 3 camps:

Camp 1:  People who endlessly complain about trivial things about the game.

Camp 2:  People who endlessly praise the game like a Scientology cult.

Camp 3: People who are sick of this back and fourth nonsense screwing up our forums.

Sagasaint falls into the 3rd camp and a few of us are as well. This forum is a mess.

#12 Hep

Hep

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

View Postsagasaint, on 05 November 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

yup, its a well known endless loop. complaining about complainers complaining about complainers is also complaining. it goes ad infinitum.

Noting that I'm not complaining and in fact, I'm entertained by the loop of irony (please keep it up!), that is correct.

#13 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Meh, I have a lot of criticism for this game but I think if the devs follow these forums, it's better for them to build on what people think is good rather than avoid what people think is bad. Like I said my "agenda" (lol) is to counterbalance the hatred for this game. All these hate threads will just deter any potential newcomers doing research on this game.

#14 Hep

Hep

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostLevelord, on 05 November 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

Not really irony.

There are 3 camps:

Camp 1:  People who endlessly complain about trivial things about the game.

Camp 2:  People who endlessly praise the game like a Scientology cult.

Camp 3: People who are sick of this back and fourth nonsense screwing up our forums.

Sagasaint falls into the 3rd camp and a few of us are as well. This forum is a mess.

But my statement didn't apply to all of camp 3. Just the ones who complain about it on the forums. To which you then have to start justifying "good" complaining and "bad" complaining. Good luck with that.

#15 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Meh, it seems the people who are really aggressively criticizing this game don't want to work, don't want real friends, and don't want a psychiatrist. They want a never ending game of instant gratification.

#16 Asomal

Asomal

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postsagasaint, on 05 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

p.s: this is what I tot when I read the title



Came with this in my mind :D

#17 Arquenya

Arquenya

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostGraystone, on 05 November 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Meh, I have a lot of criticism for this game but I think if the devs follow these forums, it's better for them to build on what people think is good rather than avoid what people think is bad. Like I said my "agenda" (lol) is to counterbalance the hatred for this game. All these hate threads will just deter any potential newcomers doing research on this game.
When GW2 was announced I also thought ANet were taking what was good (after all the original Guild Wars was a highly rated, succesful game and subsequently they got the funds to make a "sequel") and improve upon it! ;-)
Well what I got ....... not that.

And fyi; "crticism" doesn't equal "hate".

Edited by Arquenya, 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM.


#18 Gervase

Gervase

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AWOL]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

I disagree with you for one simple reason. Is not that the game lacks content or that people demands more content, the problem is the content they given is not attractive at all.

Dungeons: Reward you with trash and tokens you can trade for horrible looking armor and recolored weapons or worse yet weapons that look like they took 5 minutes to design. The only exception being AC weapons,If you notice most armor sets are NPC skins, recycled into "End game" gear. Citadel of flames being the only exception I seen and those armor sets look like taken from WoW.

SPvP: Conquest mode in small maps = Fail.

WvW: The only aspect of the game I still enjoy, the only problem with WvW is that 7 - 9 out of 10 people are there looking for a free ride for free exp, karma and money. So people who want to win and fight real opponents end chasing a 5 v 1 fights that end in little more than scratch or worse yet, end in a Que while people run around complaining the server sucks.

Dragons: Only world bosses I ever seen that can't kill you. Really only way you die to any of them is that you REALLY make him kill you. Sometimes I think they designed fights like the Claw of Jormag to kill the player's will to play rather than the character itself.

Class balance: ANet designed all classes really well on paper. But in execution you feel the level of design holes in every class, I don't mean only the bugs, but also the mechanics themselves. Mesmers for example. They took so much time making sure their illusions were viable that they made the class almost immortal, well for an average player who is not keen in pvp, killing a mesmer is a thing of dreams, while classes like the warrior got to deal with heavy movement, positioning and staying on target the hard way, most of our utilities are worthless as all do the same under a different name. So on goes the list.

#19 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostArquenya, on 05 November 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

When GW2 was announched I also thought ANet were taking what was good (after all the original Guild Wars was a highly rated, succesful game and subsequently they got the funds to make a "sequel") and improve upon it! ;-)
Well what I got ....... not that.

And fyi; "crticism" doesn't equal "hate".

Name one MMO that wasn't over-hyped.


View PostGervase, on 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

I disagree with you for one simple reason. Is not that the game lacks content or that people demands more content, the problem is the content they given is not attractive at all.

Dungeons: Reward you with trash and tokens you can trade for horrible looking armor and recolored weapons or worse yet weapons that look like they took 5 minutes to design. The only exception being AC weapons,If you notice most armor sets are NPC skins, recycled into "End game" gear. Citadel of flames being the only exception I seen and those armor sets look like taken from WoW.

SPvP: Conquest mode in small maps = Fail.

WvW: The only aspect of the game I still enjoy, the only problem with WvW is that 7 - 9 out of 10 people are there looking for a free ride for free exp, karma and money. So people who want to win and fight real opponents end chasing a 5 v 1 fights that end in little more than scratch or worse yet, end in a Que while people run around complaining the server sucks.

Dragons: Only world bosses I ever seen that can't kill you. Really only way you die to any of them is that you REALLY make him kill you. Sometimes I think they designed fights like the Claw of Jormag to kill the player's will to play rather than the character itself.

Class balance: ANet designed all classes really well on paper. But in execution you feel the level of design holes in every class, I don't mean only the bugs, but also the mechanics themselves. Mesmers for example. They took so much time making sure their illusions were viable that they made the class almost immortal, well for an average player who is not keen in pvp, killing a mesmer is a thing of dreams, while classes like the warrior got to deal with heavy movement, positioning and staying on target the hard way, most of our utilities are worthless as all do the same under a different name. So on goes the list.

All of your arguments and criticisms are valid but you have to keep in mind that this game just launched. If they launched a perfectly balanced game then every other mmo would instantly lose all its player base. As far as content goes, I'm sure they have a hell of a lot planned for us, this boils down to a lack of patience and a wanting for eternal instant gratification.

My one and only gripe, which is a massive one, is that everything does take a lot of grinding, there's no need to spam a dungeon 50 times to get something you want. And the mystic random number generator forge is a joke.

Edited by Graystone, 05 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.


#20 Arquenya

Arquenya

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostGraystone, on 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Name one MMO that wasn't over-hyped.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, my post was about your "build on what people think is good".
I didn't mention anything about hyping.

#21 Levelord

Levelord

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostHep, on 05 November 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

But my statement didn't apply to all of camp 3. Just the ones who complain about it on the forums. To which you then have to start justifying "good" complaining and "bad" complaining. Good luck with that.

I'd rather leave all the stupid complaining and fanboyism on the official forums, and have this forum focus on stuff like:

"Hey how can I get to this vista?"
"Did you guys know Lodestone prices are going up?"
"Tips on how to maximize your gold income"
"Did you know there is a world dungeon in _____?"
"Arah explorable guide"
"This is how to calculate TP profit margins"


But instead, the forums are flooded with:

"The game sucks because of ____"
"Nuh uh, the game is awesome because you suck"
"Game is fail"
"Shut up, this game has no flaws and is the second coming of Jesus"
....repeat ad nauseam....



I hate you guys so much.

#22 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostLevelord, on 05 November 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

I hate you guys so much.

Personally I never said this game has no flaws. In fact almost every reason I gave for loving this game, came with a criticism. It sounds to me like you are just a miserable person. Sorry I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just basing this conclusion off of the information you've given me about yourself.

#23 chuckles79

chuckles79

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1685 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FANG]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I don't get the people who claim to hate this game so much, but are on here every day talking about it.

#24 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

View Postchuckles79, on 05 November 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

I don't get the people who claim to hate this game so much, but are on here every day talking about it.

No work, no friends, dire need of psychiatric help.

#25 Hep

Hep

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 599 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'd love it if people only talked about stuff I want them to, but knowing the side affect of that is a super-rigid forum, I take it as the lesser of evils.

#26 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostHep, on 05 November 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'd love it if people only talked about stuff I want them to, but knowing the side affect of that is a super-rigid forum, I take it as the lesser of evils.

Another side effect of that is trolls finding new and exciting ways to get under your skin that barely fall within forum guidelines. Thus resulting in people mistaking legitimate posters with trolls who think they are legitimate posters but really just need psychiatric help.

#27 Levelord

Levelord

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostGraystone, on 05 November 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Personally I never said this game has no flaws. In fact almost every reason I gave for loving this game, came with a criticism. It sounds to me like you are just a miserable person. Sorry I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just basing this conclusion off of the information you've given me about yourself.

I don't give a goat's ass about whether you said the game has flaws or not. I'm annoyed that you feel so personally invested in defending the game that you had to put up a useless thread on the forum front page which is the equivalent of spam.


I'm miserable because you have to come up with a weak roundabout excuse to invalidate what I've just said. I'm sick and tired of seeing threads like this all the time on the forum like a cancer.

#28 Graystone

Graystone

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Anyways food for thought. To the people who got upset over my OP, if you are someone who starts threads with no real constructive criticism (ie: clearly pointing out issues and offering real ideas on how to resolve said issues), then now you know how it feels for people who feel the same way as I do when they click on general discussion only to find 'i quit' 'i hate' 'anet sucks' etc threads.

View PostLevelord, on 05 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

I'm miserable because you have to come up with a weak roundabout excuse to invalidate what I've just said. I'm sick and tired of seeing threads like this all the time on the forum like a cancer.

Sick of seeing positive threads? Or sick of people pointing out how silly QQers can be.

How do you fight fire? With fire?

The only cancer on these forums seems to be the people being miserable for the sake of being miserable.

I don't need to invalidate you, you do a good job yourself.

Edited by Graystone, 05 November 2012 - 04:58 PM.


#29 Frakov

Frakov

    Infrakted

  • Site Contributors
  • 530 posts
  • Location:US West
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

We don't need a thread complaining about other people whining. The forum also isn't the place to try to give other people life advice.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users