Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * - - 2 votes

The power of the Mesmer portal


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Blackhoax

Blackhoax

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

So we had an epic night of defending Dreaming Bay Keep in World Vs. World. The fight lasted for hours, and there was a great opportunity at a couple points to drop a portal for the guild to destroy their siege. This was one of them.

It was about 12 on 40, and we destroyed their siege and put the run to them. Throughout the defense of that keep, I gathered over 60 badges, and unbelievable amounts of loot from bags. Both servers were attacking from both sides of the Keep, and we were shuttling back and forth and wiping them over and over again. Thank you Blackgate and Jade Quarry servers for providing us with sweet sweet booty.



Check out the guild's website at www.lordsofdeath.com. We are not currently recruiting en masse, but if you are an experienced PVPer in a multitude of games, have a mature attitude, and can follow direction well, it doesn't hurt to check out the application process on the forums. We're on Stormbluff Isle and play mostly on the North American timezones.


#2 Mesenet

Mesenet

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Location:Newcastle, UK
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[UTA]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

remember guys: love thy mesmer! :)

#3 Global_GW2

Global_GW2

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostBlackhoax, on 05 November 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Check out the guild's website at www.lordsofdeath.com. We are not currently recruiting en masse, but if you are an experienced PVPer in a multitude of games, have a mature attitude, and can follow direction well, it doesn't hurt to check out the application process on the forums. We're on Stormbluff Isle and play mostly on the North American timezones.

Judging by the sheer number of LoD tags I saw on the BG BL last night, yeaaaahhhh ... I'd say recruiting is the least of your worries. Nice work last night. You guys are tenacious, and it seemed like you have a metric (insert)ton of Charr characters. Everywhere I went I was getting jumped on by huge kitties with LoD tags swinging massive 2 handers.

To be fair though, you guys dropped a decent number of loot bags for me too. Mostly in all the fighting that took place around Longview. Those were some fun encounters after we lost the keep, took it back then fought you guys off until I went to bed. Although I did die a lot last night so I'm sure I created a few Ectos for your guys.

#4 Bottoms_Up

Bottoms_Up

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Location:NZ
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Interesting to see, mostly because of what you can't see. I always sort of imagined that the top tiers have a different standard of play, but where are the forward pickets in the water and why is everyone standing in a bunch around the catapults? Just a couple of guys in the water to give advance warning would have stopped or delayed the mesmer. Defence in depth is a standard strategy in any wargame. Was this just an anomaly, or is this standard fare even in the top tiers?

Edited by Bottoms_Up, 05 November 2012 - 11:13 PM.


#5 MrZero

MrZero

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1086 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostBlackhoax, on 05 November 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

So we had an epic night of defending Dreaming Bay Keep in World Vs. World. The fight lasted for hours, and there was a great opportunity at a couple points to drop a portal for the guild to destroy their siege. This was one of them.

It was about 12 on 40, and we destroyed their siege and put the run to them. Throughout the defense of that keep, I gathered over 60 badges, and unbelievable amounts of loot from bags. Both servers were attacking from both sides of the Keep, and we were shuttling back and forth and wiping them over and over again. Thank you Blackgate and Jade Quarry servers for providing us with sweet sweet booty.



Check out the guild's website at www.lordsofdeath.com. We are not currently recruiting en masse, but if you are an experienced PVPer in a multitude of games, have a mature attitude, and can follow direction well, it doesn't hurt to check out the application process on the forums. We're on Stormbluff Isle and play mostly on the North American timezones.


That, as always was fun as hell. I love runnin with you guys, you go out and get it done.

#6 saul1991

saul1991

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

thats a bad as skill lol im going to roll a mesmer now.

#7 bieberfanxoxo

bieberfanxoxo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 136 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CC]

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostBottoms_Up, on 05 November 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Interesting to see, mostly because of what you can't see. I always sort of imagined that the top tiers have a different standard of play, but where are the forward pickets in the water and why is everyone standing in a bunch around the catapults? Just a couple of guys in the water to give advance warning would have stopped or delayed the mesmer. Defence in depth is a standard strategy in any wargame. Was this just an anomaly, or is this standard fare even in the top tiers?

All tiers are full of bads, being higher rated in no way means more skilled. I've played in the top tier since launch and popped down a few here and there to check them out and the only real difference is stronger coverage. It's honestly pretty sad some of the people claiming to be the best WvWers just because of their server rank, seeing them in action has me cringing or laughing more often than not.

#8 Serim

Serim

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NAGA]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

That was pretty painful t watch.  Oh god, the stealth, oh no here it comes here it comes.... DAMAGE
Oh snap!

#9 The_Kaizz

The_Kaizz

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[YUM]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Similar to the video, this is what our guild does a lot. It's really good to help with defenses when you're being attacked. I don't know if you guys do this or not as well, but buffing before going through the portal, or having someone drop a combo field when you teleport over and then everyone start using finishers is also quite funny. Abuse the Mesmer to the max! :D

#10 Ngamok

Ngamok

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 165 posts
  • Location:Lafayette, IN
  • Guild Tag:[RvL]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Which is why Mesmer Portals need a nerf.  Should be group only because getting people past keep walls because 1 mermser stealthed through with the current culling issues is broken beyond belief.  This is what certain guilds rely on.  I see them all hanging out at the bottom of a hill knowing what is happening.  Their mesmer is about to create a portal inside and jump over the wall and portal them over.

#11 Sirandar

Sirandar

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 123 posts
  • Location:under your sink
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[Tsym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Crazy kids!  What is this mesmer portal you speak of?

Bah!

#12 MrZero

MrZero

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1086 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostNgamok, on 13 November 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Which is why Mesmer Portals need a nerf.  Should be group only because getting people past keep walls because 1 mermser stealthed through with the current culling issues is broken beyond belief.  This is what certain guilds rely on.  I see them all hanging out at the bottom of a hill knowing what is happening.  Their mesmer is about to create a portal inside and jump over the wall and portal them over.

I got 99 problems and a Mesmer ain't one.

#13 Orikx

Orikx

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostNgamok, on 13 November 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Which is why Mesmer Portals need a nerf.  Should be group only because getting people past keep walls because 1 mermser stealthed through with the current culling issues is broken beyond belief.  This is what certain guilds rely on.  I see them all hanging out at the bottom of a hill knowing what is happening.  Their mesmer is about to create a portal inside and jump over the wall and portal them over.

Yes that makes perfect sense. Let's nerf the Mesmer portal because rendering is bugged. Let's also nerf EVERY single AoE ability then because they are to powerful with the current rendering issues. In battles of groups larger then 15-20 on each side half the people don't render until 45 seconds into the fight regardless of mesmer portals being used or not. So people just spam AoE's where they think the other team might be. So all AoE's should be nerfed because they are OP in that situation.

#14 Kelo

Kelo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

ANet seriously needs to limit the damn portal skill to 5 people or make it an Elite skill so they can't have Timewarp AND Portal at the same time. This game is slowly being less  World vs World and being Mesmer vs Mesmer :/

#15 Orikx

Orikx

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostKelo, on 13 November 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

ANet seriously needs to limit the damn portal skill to 5 people or make it an Elite skill so they can't have Timewarp AND Portal at the same time. This game is slowly being less  World vs World and being Mesmer vs Mesmer :/

No they seriously need to fix the rendering issues. Did you even WvW 3 weeks ago. Before Mesmer portals came so big we still had the exact same problem. Two forces would run into each other and people would slowly load so you had no idea how many you were facing. Mesmer portal didn't make the problem it just takes advantage of it.

If they removed the portal from the game we would still have the same problem everyone is bitching about we would just lose a strategy aspect of the game. Removing portal or nerfing doesn't fix anything, it just nerfs tactics.

#16 Jabtangs

Jabtangs

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 107 posts
  • Location:California
  • Guild Tag:[WM]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

okay.. uh limit to 5 people per mesmer? okay then we'll just have 5 memsers for a 30 people group.

this is not a solution.

Just fix rendering issues

#17 Ballads

Ballads

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 64 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RAGE]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

The only reason i would say mesmer portal needs restricted to 5 is AoE damage is restricted to 5. Same problem right now with many AoE heals. Its not just rendering imo. A net either needs to remove the offensive 5 target limit or add one for healing/support spells. This middle of the road stance is the problem.

#18 Ngamok

Ngamok

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 165 posts
  • Location:Lafayette, IN
  • Guild Tag:[RvL]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostOrikx, on 13 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Yes that makes perfect sense. Let's nerf the Mesmer portal because rendering is bugged. Let's also nerf EVERY single AoE ability then because they are to powerful with the current rendering issues. In battles of groups larger then 15-20 on each side half the people don't render until 45 seconds into the fight regardless of mesmer portals being used or not. So people just spam AoE's where they think the other team might be. So all AoE's should be nerfed because they are OP in that situation.

Edit:  Not going to argue.  Keep using mesmers to bypass walls and gates because 1 class with this sort of utility makes for a balanced game.

Edited by Ngamok, 13 November 2012 - 10:06 PM.


#19 Global_GW2

Global_GW2

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm a bit torn on the Mesmer portal honestly. On one hand, it separates organized groups of players usually communicating via voice chat from the mindless horde, and I'm all for more separation in that regard. However, I also don't really like the ability to drop 20-30 (or more) players on right top of enemy siege and behind enemy lines, who more often than not cannot even be seen before the bulk of the damage is done. I don't know what the answer is, but I'd imagine there has to be some middle ground somewhere.

#20 bieberfanxoxo

bieberfanxoxo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 136 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CC]

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostGlobal_GW2, on 13 November 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

However, I also don't really like the ability to drop 20-30 (or more) players on right top of enemy siege and behind enemy lines, who more often than not cannot even be seen before the bulk of the damage is done.

There is so much more to portal. Sadly the majority of people think "the power of the mesmer portal" is to just port a zerg on top of another and spam aoe. Oh wells I'll let them think they know it all and laugh at their B-grade portalling.

#21 Bottoms_Up

Bottoms_Up

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • Location:NZ
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

Q: What is the best way to stop a portal?









A: Stop the mesmer making it in the first place

Rather than milling about on top of your siege, form a screen away ffrom the siege that forces a mesmer to use their invis and blink early and that can give advance warning that a port might be coming. When laying siege in the field separate each piece as much as possible so one AoE doesn't hit the whole lot, when possible lay it in places that restricts enemies avenues of approach, and make sure to lay other siege that covers it.

In the video, the guys on the catapults might just as well have said, "Yoohoo, nice Mr Mesmer, we've put down a lovely blanky for you to have your portal picnic on and laid out choice pieces of meat for you to chew".

#22 Kelo

Kelo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 133 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostJabtangs, on 13 November 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

okay.. uh limit to 5 people per mesmer? okay then we'll just have 5 memsers for a 30 people group.

this is not a solution.

Just fix rendering issues

This is a solution, I could care less about the use of the portal. What is a problem is that ONE SINGLE SKILL has soo much power compared to nearly every single other skill in the game. If you had to bring 5 mesmers to portal a zerg and bomb someone then GOOD that takes coordination and planning not just one guy going HAY GUIEZ I HAZ PORTAL KEKEKE.

1 character, 1 class too much power in one place, what the damn portal gets used for is not what needs to be addressed it is how strong the damn skill is compared to everyone else. Rangers can't change the tide of battle on their own like that, Warrior's can't do that, Necromancer's cant do that...the list goes on this is a matter of class balance and nothing more.

If it was changed to only work for 5 people max it would NOT EVEN EFFECT PvE and sPvP as in PvE your dungeon group is always going to be 5 players and in tournament PvP you will always have 5 players so it changes nothing all it does is fix a glaring overpowered skill from making Mesmer the most desired class in WvW.

#23 Vihar

Vihar

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 691 posts
  • Location:Boston
  • Guild Tag:[Rage]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think the Mesmer Portal is one of the great skills in GW2.

   Does it determine the outcome of many battles? No doubt about it.

   But it isn't something that you can't fight against.

   Really....people should expect and plan for portal bombs.

  Place siege to cover where portal bombs are likely.

  To defend your siege, don't stand on top of it, set up a perimeter.

  Portal Bomb the Portal Bombers.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users