• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Swickster

Swickster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Are you tired of constant QQ from the general public? Are you looking for a good build to use after the Backstab nerf? Are you just looking to better familiarize yourself with your greatest enemy, the thief? Or maybe your just trying to become a better thief player, learning some neat tips and tricks that can come in handy when trying to get that clutch stomp to rally your downed teammates. Well, whatever the reason, I’m here with a ten minute video that showcases a lot of neat things the thief can do to decieve the enemy. Getting stomps outta nowhere, Dodging CC while stomping, good ressing techniques, and some of the more basic stuff that people will often forget in the heat of the moment. Below is the link to the video, If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to let me know.

#2 BakaB

BakaB

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PAIN]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

what back stab nerf?

#3 Asomal

Asomal

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I have tried S/D for a while but it seems that daze doesn't work at all! Pretty often it didn't last 1 damm second,making it much expensive to keep spamming C&D. In the end, Headshot does the job way better :/

#4 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Tsym]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostAsomal, on 07 November 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have tried S/D for a while but it seems that daze doesn't work at all! Pretty often it didn't last 1 damm second,making it much expensive to keep spamming C&D. In the end, Headshot does the job way better :/

The daze lasts 2s without % duration, and 3s with even a 15% sigil on your weapon (rounds up). If it's not lasting that amount of time, then you are probably not hitting them in the back/side which results in a BLIND instead of a daze or they are using a stun break.

Edited by Kutsus, 08 November 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#5 Lalnuir

Lalnuir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

View PostBakaB, on 07 November 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

what back stab nerf?

Agreed, back stab thieves are still just as powerful as before.

#6 Krilce

Krilce

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostLalnuir, on 08 November 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

Agreed, back stab thieves are still just as powerful as before.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about nerf coming with 15th November patch, as ANet already announced  something like that.

#7 Lalnuir

Lalnuir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostKrilce, on 08 November 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure he was talking about nerf coming with 15th November patch, as ANet already announced  something like that.

Patch hasn't even hit yet and no one has any solid information about what changes they will actually make. Bit earlier for people to be looking for a new build hey?

#8 lorschy

lorschy

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PX]
  • Server:Abaddon’s Mouth

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

bs nerf or not, S/D has its on niche right now.

It all depends on you setup, if your team needs someone who is able to burst / knockout single targets BS is the way to go, and most likely will also be after a possible nerf patch. ( perhaps we can play P/P too )

S/D is more of a support / harass build, but it makes tons of fun :D

I play it too sometimes, but i also like D/P with 10/30/30/0/0 or some variation of that.
It's great to outplay your opponents :D

With a class D/D build you normally cannot outplay anything , because you are to squish and teh fight is normally decided in the first 2 seconds.
You either have to backoff or you won.

#9 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[Jar]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostLalnuir, on 08 November 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Patch hasn't even hit yet and no one has any solid information about what changes they will actually make. Bit earlier for people to be looking for a new build hey?

It's just a way to appeal people, and a slim occasion to play the 'build messiah' which is meh.

#10 Asomal

Asomal

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostKutsus, on 08 November 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

The daze lasts 2s without % duration, and 3s with even a 15% sigil on your weapon (rounds up). If it's not lasting that amount of time, then you are probably not hitting them in the back/side which results in a BLIND instead of a daze or they are using a stun break.

I was using the right specs (3 seconds daze) and hitting from behind, still, the debuff symbol would go off pretty quickly :/
It's an Ok build, but does it pays off all the damage / surviavibility you are trading for it?

#11 Scarnah

Scarnah

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

You aren't trading any survivability at all.  I run S/D with 30 in stealth and last a lot longer than I used to with the D/D burst build.

A hidden benefit of the build (before threads like this one haha) is that very few people know what you are capable of and just assume that you are done after they survive the burst.

Also, blinding powder stomp makes me all tingly.

Edited by Scarnah, 08 November 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#12 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostAsomal, on 08 November 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

I was using the right specs (3 seconds daze) and hitting from behind, still, the debuff symbol would go off pretty quickly :/
It's an Ok build, but does it pays off all the damage / surviavibility you are trading for it?

S/D and SB are our two highest survivability power-based weapon sets and the damage is NOT bad. Backstab and heartseeker are not the only damaging abilities we have.

Edited by Kutsus, 08 November 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#13 Elr3d

Elr3d

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostKutsus, on 08 November 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

S/D and SB are our two highest survivability power-based weapon sets and the damage is NOT bad. Backstab and heartseeker are not the only damaging abilities we have.

I second this. Don't forget that if you trait at least 25 in Shadow Art you get 2 might per stealth. Most fights I get like 8 stacks all the times. This builds up your auto attack damage (sword and dagger do the same auto attack damage according to testing) and additional survivability makes it very viable.

Edited by Elr3d, 09 November 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#14 Invoky

Invoky

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

How do you get daze to 3 sec? Theres sigil for stun but I dont see sigil for daze duration.

#15 johncurse124

johncurse124

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Sigil of paralyzation actually works on dazes.  I know it says it increases the duration of stun, but it also applies to daze.

#16 Kutsus

Kutsus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postjohncurse124, on 09 November 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Sigil of paralyzation actually works on dazes.  I know it says it increases the duration of stun, but it also applies to daze.

And even though it says 15%, it's bugged and rounds up to 3 seconds.

#17 BandwagonX9000

BandwagonX9000

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CIR]
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

s/d, specially with the spec above, will have a lot of trouble dealing with certain popular specs (which I won't mention to avoid the nerf fights..). I have used s/d extensively, it is fun, a it less than db but depending on spec it forces you to be a bit more thoughtful. That being said, other simpler classes' specs played at the same skill level will usually have the upper hand on you because you end up having to engage on their terme so you have to force them to make some mistake, whereas if you went with d/d glass it doesn't matter that much.

#18 Dairuiner

Dairuiner

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostBandwagonX9000, on 09 November 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

s/d, specially with the spec above, will have a lot of trouble dealing with certain popular specs (which I won't mention to avoid the nerf fights..).

Really? I'm curious which ones you're having trouble with.  I've found s/d to be the most versatile and powerful 1v1 build against pretty much every spec I've encountered.  I've never lost a fight and said to myself (gee, I wish i had more condition and/or burst damage).  The one exception may be against other thieves, where the daze is not as much of a hindrance since the thief can still dodge and avoid most of your damage.  DB builds are arguably better against some bunkers, but it's such a 1-trick pony. s/d can do it all.

Edited by Dairuiner, 09 November 2012 - 05:14 PM.

#19 crowsnest bomber

crowsnest bomber

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostDairuiner, on 09 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Really? I'm curious which ones you're having trouble with.  I've found s/d to be the most versatile and powerful 1v1 build against pretty much every spec I've encountered.  I've never lost a fight and said to myself (gee, I wish i had more condition and/or burst damage).  The one exception may be against other thieves, where the daze is not as much of a hindrance since the thief can still dodge and avoid most of your damage.  DB builds are arguably better against some bunkers, but it's such a 1-trick pony. s/d can do it all.
Agree.. I'm curious as to what builds you have trouble with... It's awesome against condition specs if u have the trait to cure conditions on stealth,  excellent against bunkers due to the daze.. If u counter a glass cannons initial burst with your stun breaker,  it becomes easy kill.. And against a range attack,  you have an excellent gap closer... I've been running this build for about 5 ranks and only die in zergs or 2/3 v 1

#20 Invoky

Invoky

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Pretty much every class with trap build will counter this, necro/eng/ranger etc..

#21 Gaaroth

Gaaroth

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostInvoky, on 14 November 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

Pretty much every class with trap build will counter this, necro/eng/ranger etc..

if they manage to lay em down :) and ain't that hard avoid a trap (u know Infiltrator's Strike teleports you on your target, jumping over the traps)

#22 Invoky

Invoky

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostGaaroth, on 14 November 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

if they manage to lay em down :) and ain't that hard avoid a trap (u know Infiltrator's Strike teleports you on your target, jumping over the traps)
You cant avoid trap if your enemy just stand inside their trap and waiting for you, staff necro for example. Also I am talking about those traps/landmin that fear/stun/knock back you.
The strong point of this build is that you will keep daze/blind ur oppoent while go back to stealth for health regen. But it just doesnt work well against trap that will keep cc and reveal you. The second you are reveal your enemy can start doing their combo on you as well.
Trap build will counter most melee build, backstab build proably will have it worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users