• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lyncher

lyncher

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Okay, so i bought the game and inserted disc 1, it started an installer with no progress bar, after downloading over 10000 kbs the installer closed, i was asked permission to run Gw2.exe and i clicked on Yes.

After doing so the installer showed up again and it was like this "Downloading 0KB (0Kb/sec)", it stayed like that for 3 seconds and then it closed itself.

So now i have a file named Guild Wars 2 in "My Documents" with a file named "Local.dat" inside it. And 3 files (Gw2 / Gw2.dat / Gw2.tmp) on what i belive to be my "Temporary files" folder, the pathing to it is : C: > Users > tmn > AppData > Local > Temp

Everytime i double click on Gw2.exe it starts the the same installer and simply stays stuck at "Downloading 0KB (0Kb/sec)". Running it as an administrator doesn't fix it and the only way to close the frozen installer is to leave my session in the computer.

Any help would be very appreciated, and i apologize for potencial spelling mistakes.

#2 Reverse Ghost

Reverse Ghost

Horrors Persist

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 201 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

Those three files in your temporary folder need to be moved somewhere else. You might need to change permissions to move them. If that doesn't work, you'll have to try reinstalling the game, but make sure you choose a "solid" location for those three files to go to.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

#3 lyncher

lyncher

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

i moved the files to a folder i created in " C: > Games > Guild Wars 2 " but when i open the Gw2.exe file it just starts the installer again and stays stuck at "downloading 0Kb".

Also, i can't actually reinstal the game because it never got installed properly, all i did was download those 3 files. I have tried to delete them and run the 1st disc again but it keeps placing Gw2.exe, Gw2.dat and Gw2.temp in my temporary folder over and over again without ever giving me the option to change the target folder.

#4 Reverse Ghost

Reverse Ghost

Horrors Persist

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Try logging in to guildwars2.com and downloading the client from here: https://account.guil...ccount/download

I believe when you run that file you do get to choose where it installs to.

#5 Taishar203

Taishar203

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Are the discs buggy when installing? I have a REALLY slow internet connection (256 kBps :/) and planning to get the dics this evening. Just saw this post and I thought, what the heck let me just confirm before buying the disc. Hopefully any patching done after the initial game install is less than 3 GB, which takes me over 40 hours...

#6 lyncher

lyncher

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

https://account.guil...ccount/download lets me choose where i want i want to instal the gw2.setup.exe, but when i start the setup it still doesnt ask me where i want to instal gw2.exe / gw2.dat / Gw2.temp. It just keeps placing them im my temporary folder and the error persists.

Arenanet has replied to my e-mail and apparently they think i can't install the game due to the fact that my PC doesn´t meet the minimum requirements to run the game. I find this odd since it also didn´t meet the minimum requirements to play World of Warcraft but i was able to run it with no problems.

#7 Gangstrocity

Gangstrocity

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PRON]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

If you don't meet the minimum requirements of WoW then you cant run this game...

#8 lyncher

lyncher

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostTaishar203, on 09 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Are the discs buggy when installing? I have a REALLY slow internet connection (256 kBps :/) and planning to get the dics this evening. Just saw this post and I thought, what the heck let me just confirm before buying the disc. Hopefully any patching done after the initial game install is less than 3 GB, which takes me over 40 hours...

Yeah i think they are buggy, but it might just be me. And it seems you still have to download alot of stuff even if you have the discs.

#9 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Okay so here is what you do.

The installer won't continue because of 1 of 2 reasons I can think of.

First is your registry, second is specs.

- Registry. The windows registry has made an entry for GW2 but the installation hasn't finished. When you want to restart installation, Windows will say to install app that the game is already there, which may cause it to freeze up.
Go to your command line and type 'regedit' and hit enter to open windows' registry.
Find all entries pertaining to Guild Wars 2 and delete them, then try a clean install.

- If this is somehow not working, backup your files, and do a clean windows install, or maybe try a system recovery point somewhere in the past that you know ran stable.

- PC specs. check drivers and win update and make sure its in order. What are your specs?

I am quite sure your install fails because the installer didn't finish its job and gets stuck when redoing the process.

#10 lyncher

lyncher

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostGangstrocity, on 09 November 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

If you don't meet the minimum requirements of WoW then you cant run this game...

Well if that is the case then i guess i´ll just have to buy myself a new PC  -_-

Thanks for replying everyone

#11 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostTaishar203, on 09 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Why on earth would you want to play an MMO on a 256kbps connection is beyond me.

It's like driving a car with no fuel, really.

#12 lyncher

lyncher

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostVayra86, on 09 November 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Okay so here is what you do.

The installer won't continue because of 1 of 2 reasons I can think of.

First is your registry, second is specs.

- Registry. The windows registry has made an entry for GW2 but the installation hasn't finished. When you want to restart installation, Windows will say to install app that the game is already there, which may cause it to freeze up.
Go to your command line and type 'regedit' and hit enter to open windows' registry.
Find all entries pertaining to Guild Wars 2 and delete them, then try a clean install.

- If this is somehow not working, backup your files, and do a clean windows install, or maybe try a system recovery point somewhere in the past that you know ran stable.

- PC specs. check drivers and win update and make sure its in order. What are your specs?

I am quite sure your install fails because the installer didn't finish its job and gets stuck when redoing the process.

Oh thanks for the info, i will try this when i get home

#13 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostVayra86, on 09 November 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Why on earth would you want to play an MMO on a 256kbps connection is beyond me.
Do you really think that the OP "wants" to play on a 256Kbps connection, or has it occurred to you that it may be his only choice?

#14 Taishar203

Taishar203

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostVayra86, on 09 November 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

It's like driving a car with no fuel, really.

View PostQuaker, on 09 November 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Do you really think that the OP "wants" to play on a 256Kbps connection, or has it occurred to you that it may be his only choice?
Well I don't have a choice I'm afraid. But anyways I have really good pings even with that connection. I used to play AION with a 128 kbps connection. Pings stable between 190-220 to NA servers. So not really an issue, except when downloading ofc. I'll get a better connection once I'm outta college and start earning.
Btw thanks lyncher and Vayra86 for your posts. Clears things up for me. So would you suggest I buy the discs or not? It's more expensive if I buy them, but if I get the Digital Edition, its cheaper for me but the DL will take a year prolly. Lol.

#15 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Regardless of the disc or digital version you will be downloading updates so you are going to have to use the internet connection in any case.

I would get digital.

#16 Taishar203

Taishar203

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostVayra86, on 12 November 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Regardless of the disc or digital version you will be downloading updates so you are going to have to use the internet connection in any case.

I would get digital.
You posted a bit too late haha. Already bought the DVDs and now I'm wondering why I didn't wait lol. Installation problems have cropped up and the internet download failed at 45% this morning(40+ hours). Not gonna bother downloading again until I atleast get the DVDs to install. I posted a thread about it but I guess it's too whiney cuz no ones replied yet. Lol.

#17 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I am not sure if this is possible, but something came to mind.

How about running the GW2 install and fully patching it on a different PC with better connection?? Then drop the entire GW2 folder on a USB stick and copy it over your (just installed from disc) clean GW2 install on your own comp.

I do think you would need to first install GW2 from disc only on your computer-to-use.

#18 Taishar203

Taishar203

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Oh you meant this post of mine...
I read in most forums that a simple copy/paste from another PC to my USB would work out well. None of those registry issues I guess.
Hmm too bad none of my friends play any MMO's, and they all have data-capped connections, though 2-4 mbps. Lets see what happens.

#19 Reverse Ghost

Reverse Ghost

Horrors Persist

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

You can try to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of your existing GW2 install. Revo runs the program's uninstaller and then searches your system for leftover files. This could help remove the registry entries and the GW2 files in the wrong location. Then try to install it again from scratch.

#20 Taishar203

Taishar203

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I have tried that already. I just don't know what the installer won't use the data in the goddamn DVD to install. Starts downloading from the internet(that too slowly). Sigh I have my exams coming up in a week. Looks like I'll miss the Nov. 15 big event. Thanks for the suggestion though, much appreciated. :)

#21 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

The installer will not use the DVD data probably because the majority of that data has already been altered by the current state of the game through patches.

In effect, you are always downloading the entire client from the website because every game file on the disc is outdated. (=the reason I advised to buy digital)

Tried an internet cafe yet to get your USB stick-GW2? Or maybe run it on a PC at your school?

Edited by Vayra86, 12 November 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#22 Taishar203

Taishar203

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

There isn't a PERSON like miles away who even PLAYS GW2 haha, let alone a cafe. Found one on facebook, but isn't replying to my request. =/. Anyways downloading again... I've traited Patience already~

Cheers! :cool:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users