• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Musha

Musha

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'm trying to finalize my conceptualization of builds and how they function, but I'm finding myself completely lost on how damage actually works.  I'm a level 80 ranger trying to choose the first trait skills in my Marksmanship and Skirmishing lines. In Marksmanship, I'm trying to decide between "+10% damage while endurance is full" or "gain might and fury when pet's health reaches 25%." For skirmishing, I'm trying to decide between "pets do 30% more damage on crit" and "crits grant might to pets"

My goal is to find the highest dps between those choices.  My problem is that nowhere in the hero panel does it actually show what my damage is; all it shows is power and attack and I've got no idea how those translate into damage.  Without knowing what my damage is, I can't know what 10% of that is.  Or is the +10% added to the skill damage? Then, I also don't know how power affects damage.  Does +1 power = +1 damage?

Here's what I know:  the might and fury gain when my pet reaches 25% health lasts 10s.  The might applied to my pet when I crit lasts 1s.  Given that I am level 80, my power is 1850, my attack is 2807, crit chance is 41, and crit damage is 47, can somebody please teach me how to calculate everything so I can finally determine what will give me the highest dps?  PLEASE!  I'm extremely frustrated with this.  Thank you!

#2 geala

geala

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Did you read this page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage ?

Maybe it will answer your questions, if not, ask again. Fundamentally, direct damage is a result of weapon damage and power. Power is influenced by might (0,375 x Level + 5 = Power and Condition Damage per stack).

As I see it, a tooltip "10% damage increase" means that the result of the direct damage formular is increased. It does not affect condition damage.

Edited by geala, 07 November 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#3 Musha

Musha

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I did read that post. I did TONS of my own research before posting here, hence the frustration I mentioned in my first post. I got confused about the difference between direct damage vs tooltip damage, and couldn't find any info about the skill-specific coefficients or armor levels to make any accurate calculations.  I also don't understand if the 10% increase in dmg applies to weapon dmg or applies to total dmg after the calculation:

Damage done = (weapon damage) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor)
There's just way too many unexplained variables here that I'm hoping somebody could clear up for me.

#4 geala

geala

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

I don't understand your problem. The formular contains all relevant information. You have to get the skill-specific coefficient by using this formular: coefficient = damage (of the skill from the tooltip) x 2600 (armor used in the formular at lvl 80) / (average weapon damage x power). Then you can calculate the damage you do for specific skills over a given time. I'm not good in maths and don't like to do it however. Hopefully some better person than me will enter the thread.

For a comparison you have to define a situation first. For example how often will your pet reach 25% health? How often will you have full endurance? You can calculate in a defined situation (taking into account crits and your 197% crit end-damage) but you cannot know for sure how often such situations will occur in the real game. That makes the whole question rather difficult and perhaps not worth the effort imho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users