64 replies to this topic

#61 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

I can't see that, considering the Six Gods are alive and well, and it just doesn't seem like something that would be for the gods - lack of statues and all.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#62 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

Konig, you posted somewhere else on here something along the lines that a Norn NPC states in either GW1 or GW2, that at one point, the Norn and Jotun coexisted and that they were unmatched as far as civilization and technological advancement correct?

could the Eye of the North have been created during this time?  if so, that would explain why maybe the Norn avoid it (they had a falling out with the Jotun) and it would also explain its seemingly resistance to Time.

#63 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 01 December 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

I can't see that, considering the Six Gods are alive and well, and it just doesn't seem like something that would be for the gods - lack of statues and all.

Except Kormir wasn't a God back then and it could have been built after Abaddons fall and still be old enough to not be very well known - considering the Forgotten were well... Forgotten after Abaddons fall it makes it plausible in terms of time period.

#64 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

The claim of jotun and norn co-existing comes from Thruln the Lost, who is a fairly unreliable source all things considered.

Considering it's not akin to either norn or jotun architecture, even if there were drastic changes in norn architecture over the past who-knows-how-long-ago (implied by Thruln to be about 1 BE for the end of jotun's civilization), I don't think its jotun or norn.

@Flaming Foxx:
Though there's a 1,075 year timeframe for when there were "Five Gods" (though even then, knowledge wasn't completely erased about Abaddon), though only ~1070 years between Abaddon's fall and the Ebon Vanguard settling in there, there's still absolutely nothing to indicate it holds any relation to the gods. And we can pretty much cut off at least a century of time in the latter timeframe period for such a plausibility, if not more (norn aren't really all that keen about forgetting important stuff, and the Eye of the North would seem to be pretty important if they knew of it - which one would presume they did so long as they were in the area, which would imply the Eye of the North predates norn in the area, which iirc was said to be so though not entirely sure on this).

I just don't see that as likely.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#65 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7672 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

Well... if we assume that at one point the norn had more advanced archicture than they do now, and revered eagles/Eagle more than they do now, I could definitely see the Eye of the North being Norn. The Hall of Monuments would fit with the norn desire to immortalise themselves, it fits their 'Go Big Or Go Home' mentality, and if it's a reminder of past heights that might explain how the taboo mentioned early in EOTN (and apparently ignored afterwards) originated.

Now, I don't think it's likely, partly because I think Thruln may have just thrown the norn in with the jotun glory days of the Age of Giants because that would make the rest of his story more palatable to his audience, but the idea can be reconciled with observations.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jotun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users