8 replies to this topic

#1 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I first experienced this problem 1 month ago, when my cpu will throttle so bad my fps went down to nearly 0 and i get massive lags everywhere. My screen once froze for 1min or so until the CPU 'went back to normal'. During this time, the fan would spin like mad. I knew it was overheating but,

My temperatures show a constant 65 degrees Celcius, 70 deg max for both CPU, GPU, and motherboard for all games i play, such as Company of heroes, Skyrim, BF3. I also played gw2 since bwe2 and i never had this issue. Hell in september, i never once experience throttling on my laptop in gw2.
So why did it suddenly throttle so bad? And GW2 in particular(in fact, only gw2). My temps are still 65-70 degrees, no changes.

FYI it is a HP dv6.

#2 Ezendor

Ezendor

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SYN]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

70 degrees for a laptop..I think that's pretty damn high, especially given how demanding GW2 is on the CPU.  Get a table fan and direct it at your laptop or something man, you're gonna wear out the internals of your laptop gaming at that temps.

#3 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostEzendor, on 08 November 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

70 degrees for a laptop..I think that's pretty damn high, especially given how demanding GW2 is on the CPU.  Get a table fan and direct it at your laptop or something man, you're gonna wear out the internals of your laptop gaming at that temps.
nope i got this temperature the day i started playing my first game on this laptop, skyrim.
For a laptop it is still alright imo, just wondering why it suddenly goes throttling when previously it was fine....
And i do use a laptop cooler, pretty useless since it is a HP

#4 cthulhuazathoth

cthulhuazathoth

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostXgreatArtist, on 08 November 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

My temps are still 65-70 degrees, no changes.
FYI it is a HP dv6.

Which CPU is in your dv6? i7 mobile in general should not throttle until it reach around 90 degree. GW2 CPU demand can be very high at time so an extended WvW session may have pushed the temperature off the scale. Does dv6 have discrete graphic chip or it is using the Intel chip set?  No discrete graphic will mean you are taxing the CPU even more.

If you are sure it is a CPU throttle issues than there are nothing much you can do in a laptop setup. The only thing I can think of is lowering the graphic quality and see will the situation get better. Also check for BIOS update, maybe the board did not report its temp correctly.

IMHO, those laptop cooler are mostly useless.

#5 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

View Postcthulhuazathoth, on 09 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Which CPU is in your dv6? i7 mobile in general should not throttle until it reach around 90 degree. GW2 CPU demand can be very high at time so an extended WvW session may have pushed the temperature off the scale. Does dv6 have discrete graphic chip or it is using the Intel chip set?  No discrete graphic will mean you are taxing the CPU even more.

If you are sure it is a CPU throttle issues than there are nothing much you can do in a laptop setup. The only thing I can think of is lowering the graphic quality and see will the situation get better. Also check for BIOS update, maybe the board did not report its temp correctly.

IMHO, those laptop cooler are mostly useless.

i7 2630QM 2.0ghz
It should supposed to throttle at 70 degrees or something...
i suspect this issue could be my updating 12.8 catalyst from 12.7 beta, but it should supposed to do any 'throttling' on the CPU.
And my game is on absolute low except it is native sampling. Still the same thing. I suspect a fault in the CPU itself, or maybe the system is just screwed up. And it has a discrete AMD 6570m GDDR5

#6 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

Update. Finally found the reason. It is a stupid program called HP coolsense and i set it to coolest mode. Sure, i get 'normal temps' of 70 when i game, but when i turned to performance optimized(aka Off), i watch my temps shoot up to 85, gpu to 75. Not a good idea to turn off, but i dont get those annoying throttles anymore, least only slight throttle that reduces like 1fps.

#7 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

You need to upgrade your CPU cooling, though Ivy Bridge can handle temps up to 90C pretty ok.

#8 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

What are you talking about,, I have Dv6. 65-70c while playing GW2 is decent (for a laptop).
I get no Lag or issues whatsoever, my GPU is at 60-65 and CPu usually 73c.

Outside games, CPU usually stays at 42-41c.

#9 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Your hardware will wear out before you would want it to with those temps guys.

I've run GW2 on the exact same sandy (i7 2630QM) and never had big throttling issues, although I did run it together with a GT540M instead of an AMD card. That was an Asus KS53V. Got hot, but never beyond 60-65 degrees.

Some minor things you can do to lower laptop temps;

1. get some cold air blower on there from the outside, cool it alongside the bottom of the chassis
2. put laptop on an elevated space in the coldest corner of your workspace. A dock already earns you a few degrees because the chassis is no longer placed on the table. Two books or something similar work fine too.
3. remove dust. With vacuum cleaner at lowest setting or from a reasonable distance at the laptop air exhaust. Don't put it right on there, or you can damage components.

Beyond that, get a desktop or something with a little more spark in it to run gw2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users