Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * - 64 votes

[Build] Sonic Boon - Shout Greatsword

build greatsword shout might fury boon signet of rage survivability heal adrenaline

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
656 replies to this topic

#631 Lucav

Lucav

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 264 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostLight of the Night, on 03 April 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

Has anyone consider the new earrings with the Prec main, power, toughness?
Otherwise known as knights? in both exotic and ascended variety, earrings are not the place you want to swap to toughness unless you think you need 1400+ for pve.

#632 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 609 posts
  • Location:Hangin' with the Kodan
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DIVA]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

I am definitely no tthe math guy to support this with crunched numbers...I will however share this:

http://gw2buildcraft...y.69.6a.6b.6m|e

Basically the same visual build, with adjusted Accessories(all Ascended), I did keep the Celestial Earring and Celestial Ring, and left the Cavalier Amulet alone. Also added in the skills now that they are available.

Basically this is to spread out some bonuses. Is it vital? I'm not sure, but I think all 'Zerker stuff will work, but you may see some slight reduction in some of the condition damage, vitality, and healing power...will that kill the build? No. I believe the way it is is what was optimized by the math that Bran applied.

Maybe he'll pay a visit soon and run some numbers and update it accordingly. I have been wondering the same things.

#633 d_fens

d_fens

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location:Rzeszow, Poland
  • Guild Tag:[WAR]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostLucav, on 03 April 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Otherwise known as knights? in both exotic and ascended variety, earrings are not the place you want to swap to toughness unless you think you need 1400+ for pve.
Just for the record, those with Precision as main stat are not 'knights'. They do not have an equivalent in armor set. Knights have Toughness as main.

#634 Lucav

Lucav

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 264 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

View Postd_fens, on 03 April 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Just for the record, those with Precision as main stat are not 'knights'. They do not have an equivalent in armor set. Knights have Toughness as main.
Oh right, my mistake, I read power precision toughness and immediately thought knights. My other point still stands though, there are better places to get toughness.

#635 Sebiale

Sebiale

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[ICNH]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

The site this builder is using ATM updated. You can add the slot skills, and some notes for usage under the manual if you like.

#636 Nathaniel Tarvitz

Nathaniel Tarvitz

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

So, I'm using this build since... today, really, and it's great, I can live through situations my sigil baby before could not. For the record, it is my first GW char ever.

I have one question, and while I know the equipment to be use with this build is already there, but I have like 220k, getting near a full exotic set... and the question is, which one?

#637 chullster

chullster

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • Location:Blighty, the land of bad weather and plucky Brits
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostNathaniel Tarvitz, on 06 April 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

I can live through situations my sigil baby before could not.

I have one question, and while I know the equipment to be use with this build is already there, but I have like 220k, getting near a full exotic set... and the question is, which one?

Just so you know this build is also a baby build, like a signet build, so I wouldn't waste money on it. Healing warriors or "Wammos" are just terrible.

#638 Nathaniel Tarvitz

Nathaniel Tarvitz

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I see. Only bought a Balthazar's Band anyways

#639 Thorfinnr

Thorfinnr

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 609 posts
  • Location:Hangin' with the Kodan
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DIVA]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostNathaniel Tarvitz, on 06 April 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

So, I'm using this build since... today, really, and it's great, I can live through situations my sigil baby before could not. For the record, it is my first GW char ever.

I have one question, and while I know the equipment to be use with this build is already there, but I have like 220k, getting near a full exotic set... and the question is, which one?

My advice is, for whatever build you want to go with, and however you need to set up armor for your playstyle. Craft what you need. Then go get the skins you like and Transmute them to the look you want.

I made my Knight/Berserker combo set in Draconic, but have transmuted every piece (except helm, which i don't set as visible anyway...and I'm waiting for somehting new and actually cool looking to be put in the game to use for that :) )

Then as you get comfortable playing, and want to try different stat combos on armors or just go with all one set. i.e Berserker or Knights or Rampager or etc., make the new pieces; or use some from drops, try them out...and transmute as you like, or put together alternate sets for different styles of play/builds you may enjoy.

This is a build I enjoy(I know Chullster just shiverred a little) and come back to to run in certain situations, but also experiment and find things that are fun for you as well as effective to play. Never settle...we are masters-of-weapons after all. :)

#640 pullinside

pullinside

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostThorfinnr, on 03 April 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

I am definitely no tthe math guy to support this with crunched numbers...I will however share this:

http://gw2buildcraft...y.69.6a.6b.6m|e

Basically the same visual build, with adjusted Accessories(all Ascended), I did keep the Celestial Earring and Celestial Ring, and left the Cavalier Amulet alone. Also added in the skills now that they are available.

Basically this is to spread out some bonuses. Is it vital? I'm not sure, but I think all 'Zerker stuff will work, but you may see some slight reduction in some of the condition damage, vitality, and healing power...will that kill the build? No. I believe the way it is is what was optimized by the math that Bran applied.

Maybe he'll pay a visit soon and run some numbers and update it accordingly. I have been wondering the same things.

I offer this in full ascended what to think compared to the original build, full Berserker and just 2x Cavalier Rings
search the best optimization ++

http://gw2buildcraft...5.7|0.0.0.0.0|e

#641 Mr_Finesse

Mr_Finesse

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 304 posts
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Guild Tag:[WB]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

View Postchullster, on 07 April 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Just so you know this build is also a baby build, like a signet build, so I wouldn't waste money on it. Healing warriors or "Wammos" are just terrible.


Hate to play devil's advocate here, but isn't it just a playstyle choice??

Like, personally, I enjoy shouts and providing some heals to my party.

#642 jthamind

jthamind

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

there's a difference between playstyle choice and reaching maximum potential. i don't think anybody would argue that people aren't allowed to play this build. they're just saying that this build isn't optimal for bringing out the best of a Warrior's strengths (to put it nicely. lol).

Edited by jthamind, 14 April 2013 - 01:38 AM.


#643 kutmulc

kutmulc

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

View Postjthamind, on 14 April 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

... this build isn't optimal for bringing out the best of a Warrior's strengths

But which build is?

#644 Lucav

Lucav

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 264 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

View Postkutmulc, on 17 April 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

But which build is?
20/25/0/10/15 , gs , axe/mace

#645 DarkHorseKnight

DarkHorseKnight

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

People see a build that is written nicely, has cool graphics ect. ect. and they assume it must be great.

This works for PuGing cof p1. This works for general PvE. It works for average PuG groups in lots of places.
However it just has fundamental flaws that it simply cannot overcome no matter how well played. I fully respect the right of people to run it and I think builds like this have done a lot to cull the face tanking signet warriors from the game. However if you are a warrior main and you really want to be the best you can be this build has nothing to offer.

GS autoattack is pure garbage, and having a rifle on switch on fights where range is not required is a major major dps loss.
Then their is the shouts. Not only are you forced to put 30 points into tactics, but you are forced to run 3 shouts.

This is bad in 2 ways:
1. Your utility skills are locked, no variation based on situation.
2. On my mark sucks - seriously with an axe and a 90% crit chance you can get 7-8 vuln stacks up within 1 second. Waste of a skill.



I have nothing against casual people running this build I do however have something against anyone who consider's this, or tries to bring this on any kind of high end, min-maxed dungeon build. It just not, this is an easy to play, causal, build for people who want to just get on and play and arent worried about speed or maxed out potential.

#646 Kratimas

Kratimas

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostLucav, on 17 April 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

20/25/0/10/15 , gs , axe/mace

Possible link to a builder page to show all stats, armor, so on and so on ....

Thanks

#647 MisterB

MisterB

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 961 posts
  • Location:In your Tyria, breaking your immersion
  • Guild Tag:[Loot]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostKratimas, on 23 April 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Possible link to a builder page to show all stats, armor, so on and so on ....

Thanks

I think they're talking about this one. The trait points and weapons match.

http://www.guildwars...-dungeon-build/

#648 Eleasar

Eleasar

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

you can find a full guide in the thread of strife for that build:
http://www.guildwars...-dungeon-build/

//Edit: oh - had some caching issue it seems ^^

Edited by Eleasar, 23 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.


#649 StealThenKill

StealThenKill

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just wondering if the build will be revisited with the changes to signets, especially signet of fury.

#650 Lucav

Lucav

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 264 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:13 AM

View PostStealThenKill, on 01 May 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Just wondering if the build will be revisited with the changes to signets, especially signet of fury.
Why would it be? As far as I know the build revolved around might stacks and greatsword, neither of which is affected by the signet change, at least no more then anything else.

#651 StealThenKill

StealThenKill

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostLucav, on 02 May 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

Why would it be? As far as I know the build revolved around might stacks and greatsword, neither of which is affected by the signet change, at least no more then anything else.

The build is focused on damage output as stated in the first post.

#652 Xunlai Agent

Xunlai Agent

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostStealThenKill, on 03 May 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

The build is focused on damage output as stated in the first post.
Despite those claims this build doesn't do much damage. I don't think the guy that made the build is coming back. I would check out Strife's build if I were you, especially because it is unparalleled for damage.

#653 Nikephoros

Nikephoros

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1120 posts
  • Location:Florida
  • Guild Tag:[DnT]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostStealThenKill, on 03 May 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

The build is focused on damage output as stated in the first post.

Don't believe the advertisements.  This is a low dps defensive build designed to provide heals to less skilled players who haven't learned how to mitigate damage yet.

#654 Sebiale

Sebiale

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[ICNH]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostNikephoros, on 03 May 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

Don't believe the advertisements.  This is a low dps defensive build designed to provide heals to less skilled players who haven't learned how to mitigate damage yet.
Yeah, main reason I use this is because I always find myself needing the heals . . .

#655 chullster

chullster

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • Location:Blighty, the land of bad weather and plucky Brits
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostSebiale, on 05 May 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yeah, main reason I use this is because I always find myself needing the heals . . .

I assume you're being sarcastic, which means you run this for damage, as what else is there in GW2?

Which means you have no idea what a DPS warrior is capable of, or why this build is crap. It has crap heals, support and crap damage.

Unless you run it because you find the name cool?

#656 jthamind

jthamind

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

what kind of damage could you expect from a 100b with this build? i've never run it and never will, but i'm curious what level the damage is it.

#657 Ship Soo

Ship Soo

    Ship Sooey

  • Moderators
  • 459 posts
  • Location:Heisenberg says "Dunno"
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[ZPM]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

I used this build for awhile when I was learning the profession. It's very forgiving with mistakes and is nice when you are running solo.

While I disagree with the harshest critics who say its "terrible" and/or "worthless", the build does lose some of its effectiveness in a party situation. That's because it does what it does, too well...i.e might stacking. Alone, you can easily maintain 25 might stacks and perma fury. But...in a team, especially with another warrior, you are going to have serious overlap. Even a guardian is going to give 4-5 might stacks and then you have wasted potential.

Another problem is healing does not scale very well, at least with how the game is laid out. The heals you give, while they help, won't really save anyone in harder content.

When you take those factors into account, there are other builds that do better in team situations, especially since most are interested in fractals and high end dungeon instances. I think this is the segment of players from whom the build generates the most detractors.

Taking nothing away from Brand, the build is very effective if you use it in the right situation. Solo running orr or mapping/farming would be my suggestion.

All that being said, I think this thread has reached its logical end. I want to thank Brand for putting the time and effort to post about the build. This thread can always be reached from the warrior build sticky.

Edited by Ship Soo, 07 May 2013 - 03:20 PM.

Misses the Dervish in the Worst Way


Want to chat or have a question? Feel free to PM me.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users