• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Can't get more than 10-15 fps, please help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 floppykitten14

floppykitten14

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hey, so I am running Intel Core 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 4.0 gb ram. The problem is the card, it's an ATI Radeon HD 4870. I can't seem to get more than 10-15 fps, usually less, no matter the settings I use.

I was playing with a lower end nvidia card before but it crapped out (it was a friends old card) and it seems that this current card won't run the game. I assume it's a driver problem, and it's just poorly optimized but I can't find a driver that will run the game well. I know the card is old and not supported anymore but does this mean even with the latest driver that I won't be able to play the game, this would really sadden me.

Thanks for your time.

#2 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postfloppykitten14, on 10 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Hey, so I am running Intel Core 2 quad cpu q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 4.0 gb ram. The problem is the card, it's an ATI Radeon HD 4870. I can't seem to get more than 10-15 fps, usually less, no matter the settings I use.

I was playing with a lower end nvidia card before but it crapped out (it was a friends old card) and it seems that this current card won't run the game. I assume it's a driver problem, and it's just poorly optimized but I can't find a driver that will run the game well. I know the card is old and not supported anymore but does this mean even with the latest driver that I won't be able to play the game, this would really sadden me.

Thanks for your time.
I use this driver with my 6970 with no issues at all, it also suports the 4870. Also what  was the other card you were using and what were your FPS then.
http://support.amd.c...ersion1112.aspx

EDIT does your PSU have enough power for that card?
EDIT # 2 You did install this card in the same spot the other card was removed from right? If you moved it down to anouther slot because of the size of the card then that's the problem.

Edited by Zerk2012, 10 November 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#3 MoonlitDNC

MoonlitDNC

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

I've been getting a rather consistent 30fps with my HD 4870x2 (2GB) card and my AMD 64x2 6000+ CPU since Anet has been adding more & more optimisations to the game.  My Catalyst version I'm using is 11.8 - I'm only on a 32bit Windows system, and I have 4GBs of RAM, so it sounds like it's your CPU that's bringing you down at this point on account of our systems being so similar.

Though, if that 4870 you have only has 1GB in it, that's also probably not helping you.  I'm squeezing all I can out of my setup, and the game is barely passing as smooth and playable on my system.  I could easily see similar, yet less powerful hardware being permanently capped at 10-15fps based on the success I'm having.

Edited by MoonlitDNC, 10 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#4 floppykitten14

floppykitten14

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 10 November 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

I use this driver with my 6970 with no issues at all, it also suports the 4870. Also what  was the other card you were using and what were your FPS then.
http://support.amd.c...ersion1112.aspx

EDIT does your PSU have enough power for that card?
EDIT # 2 You did install this card in the same spot the other card was removed from right? If you moved it down to anouther slot because of the size of the card then that's the problem.

Yes the psu can support it, and yes I did install it right, the other card was a e-geforce 8800 GT, I'll try the driver you suggested and let you know how it goes, thank you very much.

EDIT I was getting around 30fps+ with the nividia card btw
EDIT2 I'm getting like 20 frames if I'm lucky with the driver you suggested. It's weird it only seems to go down when I look a certain directions, and it isn't because of population or anything, there isn't anyone around me. I never had problems like this with the other card, it was 30-40 fps all the time, never really dipped below that.

Edited by floppykitten14, 10 November 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#5 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Postfloppykitten14, on 10 November 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yes the psu can support it, and yes I did install it right, the other card was a e-geforce 8800 GT, I'll try the driver you suggested and let you know how it goes, thank you very much.

EDIT I was getting around 30fps+ with the nividia card btw
EDIT2 I'm getting like 20 frames if I'm lucky with the driver you suggested. It's weird it only seems to go down when I look a certain directions, and it isn't because of population or anything, there isn't anyone around me. I never had problems like this with the other card, it was 30-40 fps all the time, never really dipped below that.
That card should out perform the 8800GT
http://www.hwcompare...on-hd-4870-1gb/
It draws 45 more watts so again I go back to the underpowered PSU or either your video settings have changed.

#6 floppykitten14

floppykitten14

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 10 November 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

That card should out perform the 8800GT
http://www.hwcompare...on-hd-4870-1gb/
It draws 45 more watts so again I go back to the underpowered PSU or either your video settings have changed.

The power is fine, I only used the 8800GT because this card wouldn't work for GW2, I had the 4870 in before I ever had the 8800GT, and the video settings I assume you mean graphics settings, and it doesn't matter what they are on, if it's lowest or highest I get 10-15 fps, but it's usually more like 10.

#7 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3354 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

If the graphics settings don't affect the fps, then it's probably the CPU that is the problem. The Q6600 should be able to perform better than that, but make sure that it's properly detected in the BIOS and running at the proper clock, voltage, and core count. Also, of course, make sure that the heatsink isn't clogged with dust and/or the fan's not working (and the CPU is throttling back due to heat.)

#8 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Check a few things:

1. Dust / general cleaning duty - just to rule it out.
2. Does your CPU start throttling, is the throttling the cause of your framedrop? (Run an app that shows your cpu temps in windows while gaming)
3. You rule out the PSU far too easily. Test your setup with a reliable, tested (so not new out of the box) quality brand PSU before you rule this out.
4. Have you done anything with voltages and/or RAM memory.
5. Set BIOS defaults.

I really am placing the issue on one of three problems or a combination of them:
A. CPU throttling / cooling issue
B. Power supply
C. RAM issue

It is highly unlikely this is your GPU,

#9 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:31 AM

View Postfloppykitten14, on 11 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

The power is fine, I only used the 8800GT because this card wouldn't work for GW2, I had the 4870 in before I ever had the 8800GT, and the video settings I assume you mean graphics settings, and it doesn't matter what they are on, if it's lowest or highest I get 10-15 fps, but it's usually more like 10.
The power is fine but you never list it.

#10 Khlaw

Khlaw

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PoE]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

I ran a 4850 for quite a while with most settings maxed at around 30FPS steady using the most current drivers (as of a couple of months ago).  Main difference is I was running an i7 920 at 3.2GHz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users