4 replies to this topic

#1 Achlys

Achlys

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hi.
I have this problem, that if I start this game. It runs perfectly at 50 fps, and after like 10 minutes, fps just crashes down to 17-20 and thats it.
I found out that if I randomly ALT+tab or just minimize my gw2 window, lag dissapears, fps is back up at 50, and same thing starts again after 10 minutes.

1. I’m running lowest settings possible.. didn’t help.
2. Disabled Anti-Virus, didn’t help neither.
3. Its not overheating. CPU and GPU temperatures were around 60-70¤C at all times.
4. My computer is running Windows 7 x64, dual core cpu, ati raedeon 6370m grapichs, 4GB RAM.
Should be enough to run this game on lowest settings.

Thanks.

#2 MoonlitDNC

MoonlitDNC

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Listing the actual model of CPU would probably help.

Based on what I've seen my system do, it's possible your CPU is bottlenecking your performance?  Since you listed that it doesn't look like a heating problem, it could also be either your power supply unit isn't supplying enough juice to your card (VERY possible if you bought a PC from a store & added the card yourself later), or there is a ton of background stuff running on your system (I've got my PC set to only run about 25 small processes in Task Manager when AV Scanner is off and I'm idling at my desktop).

An interesting point to consider is that opening the BLTC menu in-game causes a web browser process to start, and your system may not be liking that if it's running in the background.......but I'd probably bet on it being your CPU just based off of the details you posted.

EDIT: Ah, wait a sec - that ATI card is for Laptops....you may have wanted to mention that.  It only has like 512MB on it right?  If that's the case, it sounds like a fairly weak/standard laptop & you might just be lucky you're even seeing that 50fps for the first 10 minutes.

Edited by MoonlitDNC, 10 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Regardless of what the temperatures are, it sounds like your laptop is throttling itself back in order to avoid overheating. If you are already running at the lowest possible settings (with vsync on) there's not much you can do in that regard. You could try setting the Frame Limiter to 30 fps to see if that helps.

Also, of course, make sure the cooling ducts in your machine are not full of dust, hair, etc. And the fan is working.

#4 Achlys

Achlys

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Okay.
I took my laptop apart and cleaned it. I totally forgot that I could do that :D.
Game works just fine now.
Thanks.

#5 MoonlitDNC

MoonlitDNC

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Awesome!  Be aware that from what I've tested of it, the frame limiter option was bugged last month - it would limit my system a little bit more than it should (by about 20fps) on anything other than "Unlimited".  In an area of the game where I could get a nice 44fps, a limiter of 30 in the menu would drop me down to about 22fps.

It may have gotten fixed recently, but I'd still not suggest using it right now until they get it working better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fps, drop, what, is, the, cause, of, this, thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users