10 replies to this topic

#1 LesionPVP

LesionPVP

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hello

Roughly six weeks ago I purchased an XFX Radeon HD6770.

GW2 ran smoothly (60 fps) at mid settings with AA turned off. I went through a bit of buyers remorse, and realized that I should have waited a bit and bought something a little more future proof, however I realized that my CPU could possibly be bottlenecking it.

A few graphics drivers came out and I can now run at maximum settings with shadows turned down, and still get ~45fps in HotM, and 60+ in a match, however I would still like to see better numbers, and feel that it's about time I upgrade.

So my question is, is my CPU, the AMD Phenom II X4 830 (2.80ghz) bottlenecking my HD6770?

Also, what I have planned on so far, is to upgrade to an i5 3500k, an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard, 16gb Corsair Vengeance (1600, CAS 9, 1.5v), and ANOTHER HD6770.

Would I see enough of a performance boost with just the processor motherboard and RAM, or should I go for an the additional HD6770?

I have heard that the performance boost is in the 90% when running two 6770s in crossfire.

Lastly, would an SSD boost performance? I've been meaning to get one for a boot drive lately, but was also curious if it would make GW2 run better, and record better.

#2 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1815 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostLesionPVP, on 11 November 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

however I realized that my CPU could possibly be bottlenecking it.

During chaotic combat, where you are likely dipping into the 10-15 FPS range (a guess based on your processor), yes, that is a CPU bottleneck. But even with an i5-3570K, you'd still be sinking into the high-30's, at best. That's GW2 for ya.

45-60 FPS in other areas of the game is not indicative of a CPU bottleneck. Depending on your screen resolution, that's probably about the limit of what a low-end card like the 6770 can do. That said, that's pretty solid performance.. unless you have a 120 Hz monitor, any frames after 60 are lost anyway.

An SSD will improve performance of things that are limited by storage speed. So no, it will not help framerates, but it may improve load times a bit.

Edited by typographie, 11 November 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#3 LesionPVP

LesionPVP

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

View Posttypographie, on 11 November 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

During chaotic combat, where you are likely dipping into the 10-15 FPS range (a guess based on your processor), yes, that is a CPU bottleneck. But even with an i5-3570K, you'd still be sinking into the high-30's, at best. That's GW2 for ya.

45-60 FPS in other areas of the game is not indicative of a CPU bottleneck. Depending on your screen resolution, that's probably about the limit of what a low-end card like the 6770 can do. That said, that's pretty solid performance.. unless you have a 120 Hz monitor, any frames after 60 are lost anyway.

An SSD will improve performance of things that are limited by storage speed. So no, it will not help framerates, but it may improve load times a bit.

Well, I actually never drop below ~40fps ever, even in team fights with copious amounts of AoE effects.

Beta drivers have made the card's performance improve a lot, and I have the core clock OC'd to 910MHz and the Memory Clock to 1300MHz while playing GW2.

I guess im most concerned with what will improve my recording performance the most. I'm under the impression that an SSD will be able to write the data faster, resulting in improved frames while recording.

Right now, with shadows turned to low, and everything else on highest settings, save for AA which is set to 4x in CCC, I can record at roughly ~30fps all around at 1920x1080.

That's good, however I have unfortunately been spoiled, and would like to see that number climb to at least ~50 on the aformentioned res with a refresh rate of 60mhz.

Based on that information, do you think just the processor and RAM upgrade would do it, or should I also go for the additional HD6770?

#4 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

This is total BS. Ignore it.

View PostLesionPVP, on 11 November 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

Hello

Roughly six weeks ago I purchased an XFX Radeon HD6770.

GW2 ran smoothly (60 fps) at mid settings with AA turned off. I went through a bit of buyers remorse, and realized that I should have waited a bit and bought something a little more future proof, however I realized that my CPU could possibly be bottlenecking it.

A few graphics drivers came out and I can now run at maximum settings with shadows turned down, and still get ~45fps in HotM, and 60+ in a match, however I would still like to see better numbers, and feel that it's about time I upgrade.

So my question is, is my CPU, the AMD Phenom II X4 830 (2.80ghz) bottlenecking my HD6770?

Also, what I have planned on so far, is to upgrade to an i5 3500k, an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard, 16gb Corsair Vengeance (1600, CAS 9, 1.5v), and ANOTHER HD6770.

Would I see enough of a performance boost with just the processor motherboard and RAM, or should I go for an the additional HD6770?

I have heard that the performance boost is in the 90% when running two 6770s in crossfire.

Lastly, would an SSD boost performance? I've been meaning to get one for a boot drive lately, but was also curious if it would make GW2 run better, and record better.

When you intend to upgrade both CPU and motherboard, why would you spend a lot of extra money on an additional past-gen GPU? I mean, you are already spending a good extra 20-30 bucks to get the right motherboard for a dual Xfire setup, you also need a beefy PSU for two amd cards... it just seems like a cost-ineffective way of becoming future-proof.

In addition, the HD7870's have dropped in price and are considerably stronger, also better equipped for DX10/11 gaming (which really is a performance boost older cards have trouble matching, check out benches).

GW2 will not run faster on an SSD. It will only load zones faster - there is no noticeable performance difference in actual gameplay.

Similarly, there is no performance difference between 8GB DDR3 and 16GB, unless you run multi screen setups.

Edited by Vayra86, 12 November 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#5 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1815 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostVayra86, on 12 November 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

This is total BS. Ignore it.

Really, that's all I get? No need to elaborate, at all?

Ever since we've been able to play in the beta, it has been widely documented, agreed upon and complained about on this forum that performance plummets, even on high-end hardware, in crowded events and WvW. Am I, suddenly, the only one who has ever heard of this? K, awesome.

View PostLesionPVP, on 11 November 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

I guess im most concerned with what will improve my recording performance the most. I'm under the impression that an SSD will be able to write the data faster, resulting in improved frames while recording.

Sorry, I missed that you said you would be recording. I think you're right: recording high-quality video is storage-intensive so faster write-speeds may translate to better framerates in that situation.

I don't know what your budget is, but just don't sacrifice a good processor and good video card for an SSD. SSDs are still relatively expensive and they make a great upgrade later on.

Edited by typographie, 12 November 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#6 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

View Posttypographie, on 12 November 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Really, that's all I get? No need to elaborate, at all?

Ever since we've been able to play in the beta, it has been widely documented, agreed upon and complained about on this forum that performance plummets, even on high-end hardware, in crowded events and WvW. Am I, suddenly, the only one who has ever heard of this? K, awesome.

Sorry, I missed that you said you would be recording. I think you're right: recording high-quality video is storage-intensive so faster write-speeds may translate to better framerates in that situation.

I don't know what your budget is, but just don't sacrifice a good processor and good video card for an SSD. SSDs are still relatively expensive and they make a great upgrade later on.

Sorry for coming off harsh. But when you run an i5 3570k and get framedips in crowds, something is wrong. The processor never breaks a sweat in GW2 when I get in that situation, and I don't play or use it differently than the most basic gaming setup: Full HD, high/ultra settings, Frame lock at 60. It dips, naturally, but never below 50, I had 44 fps in Lion's Arch during the halloween event.

Sure not everyone appears on screen, but that a software issue, not a hardware issue.

And of course you are not wrong for saying GW2 is a CPU based game more so than a GPU based one. But your comment about FPS dips felt like a loose exaggeration at best. Do you own the cpu and actually see this happening or was it what I made it out to be?

#7 Spasm

Spasm

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

yeah getting a 7870 or if its a bit above budget a 7850 (which will oc nicely) would have been a better investment. Id try to pass the current hardware on to a new owner and save for soemthing with a little more bang.

#8 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostVayra86, on 12 November 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Sorry for coming off harsh. But when you run an i5 3570k and get framedips in crowds, something is wrong. The processor never breaks a sweat in GW2 when I get in that situation, and I don't play or use it differently than the most basic gaming setup: Full HD, high/ultra settings, Frame lock at 60. It dips, naturally, but never below 50, I had 44 fps in Lion's Arch during the halloween event.
Its going to depend on your settings and graphics card.  My i5 3570K/7850 system runs max settings at around 60FPS, but drops as low as 30 in zergs.  I'm sure if I dropped some settings (shadowing or reflections most likely) I could reduce the dropoff, but since 30 is still easily playable I dont feel the need.

There are also plenty of other people still reporting problems with more powerful systems running lower FPS.  One would assume that these are not hardware related, which basically leaves Anet's client not reacting like any other MMO client as highly suspicious software.

Edited by dhatcher1, 12 November 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#9 Vayra86

Vayra86

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

The most important part of this issue is that if people get told they get framedips in gw2 with an i5 3570k, which runs everything to date perfectly smooth, people will start to believe you need an even more expensive cpu to run the game properly.

And that is just not true.

Never, ever build your rig on the basis of a single game, because then you're connecting your wallet to the amount of optimization the software devs have put into it. It's just a completely wrong basis to start any kind of build or upgrade.

#10 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3248 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

As a note of comparison, I have an i5-3570K with an HD7870 and my fps drops to around 30 in large events. (A solid 60 fps during normal PvE - vsync'd 1080p)

The question is not so much whether you will get fps drops with a 3570, but rather, will any CPU perform significantly better.

Edited by Quaker, 19 November 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#11 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3169 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostQuaker, on 19 November 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

As a note of comparison, I have an i5-3570K with an HD7870 and my fps drops to around 30 in large events. (A solid 60 fps during normal PvE - vsync'd 1080p)

The question is not so much whether you will get fps drops with a 3570, but rather, will any CPU perform significantly better.

This, at stock clocks, my i7-2600K/GTX570 system dropped to ~25fps during the lost shore event of yesterday where you had to defeat the ancient Karka. OC'ed i'd probably have been able to hit 30, but as the others said, once things get crowded, the CPU starts to take a hit not matter what system you have.

Outside of WvW zergs and huge DEs, i get a steady 60fps v-sync'ed as well. Typo is right, at max settings, the game is brutal on the CPU when there are lot of players involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users