• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Malrend

Malrend

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Now, those of you not familiar with Final Fantasy XIV and its lore won't understand the title, so a quick summation is in order.

In Hydaelyn, the time periods (Compared to our Bronze Age, Iron Age, Middle Ages) are refered to as Eras, and further defined by the element that signified that era, the game of Final Fantasy XIV took place during the 6th Astral (Light element) Era, the Astral Eras always follow the Umbral (Darkness element) Eras, and mainly signify peace and prosperity, as opposed to the suffering and conflict brought on by the Umbral eras.
The 6th Umbral era had been prophecised to be the last Umbral era, however the herald of the Umbral era, the meteor "Dalamud" was summoned by servants of Garlean empire (Main villains) to aid them in their campaign against the united nations of Eorzea (the continent on which you play).

Now this morning, at 9 am CET, Dalamud fell and the 7th Umbral era began.

With this event, the FFXIV that most of the MMO-savvy know of as a failure, has been discontinued. The XIV team will now put all of their efforts into improving on what was previously known as XIV 2.0, but revealed to have the subtitle "A Realm Reborn".
A Realm Reborn is currently undergoing alpha testing, available for Japanese players only, although the international alpha test is reportedly only a few weeks away.

#2 Silent The Legend

Silent The Legend

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 270 posts
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I would really like to play this game, if it wasnt for the sub fee. Hopefully they can come up with something good since the death of Final fantasy after the X.

#3 Gannyr

Gannyr

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Being an ex-FFXI junkie, I'm interested but also cautious after the initial FFXIV

#4 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3670 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TB]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

No idea what the video is about, but it looks awesome. :D

#5 Malrend

Malrend

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostMilennin, on 11 November 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

No idea what the video is about, but it looks awesome. :D

It shows the end of the world as the FFXIV players know it :P
All kidding aside, there is no easy way explain the mechanics of the plot portrayed, if you haven't played the questline that lead up to the finale yesterday.

#6 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Wow! That was so intense!

#7 Edge

Edge

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CORP]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yawn.

Typical FF good versus evil, light versus dark, meteors and space, swords and magic baloney. So edgy. Too bad I'm not 13 anymore.

Edited by Edge, 12 November 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#8 Malrend

Malrend

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Square Enix released an official synopsis of the "End of an Era" trailer, should make the plot easier to understand for those who haven't played the game.

Eorzea. A Land embraced by Gods and forged by Heroes.

Seeking control over this realm and its abundant crystal resources, the Garlean Empire (a scientifically advanced nation hailing from the north) begins gathering an army of epic proportions. To ready themselves for the coming conflict, the city-states of Eorzea reinstate the Grand Companies─comprehensive centers of command which combine the commonwealths' military and economic assets. However, the commander of the invading forces, VIIth Imperial Legion Legatus Nael van Darnus (a.k.a. “White Raven”), has plans of his own. Driven by madness, he silently plots to usher in a more permanent form of devastation: Meteor.

The Meteor project is comprised of a complex scheme employing arcane magicks and lost technology to summon the lesser moon down to Eorzea in an attempt to annihilate the realm's inhabitants in one fell stroke. Dalamud, as the celestial object is commonly known, is revealed to be a colossal machine launched thousands of years ago into the planet's orbit by an ancient civilization.

Realizing the futility of standing alone against such a threat, the Grand Companies put aside deep-rooted differences and consolidate their forces under the banner of the Eorzean Alliance.

At the behest of this new confederation, adventurers from across the realm take up arms and march on the floating islands of Rivenroad. Here, the brave heroes confront Nael van Darnus, and after a heated battle, put him to the sword. But by this time, the White Raven's plan is too far along, and Dalamud continues its descent.

In an eleventh-hour bid to save mankind, the Grand Companies turn to Louisoix, an enigmatic scholar hailing from the forgotten city-state of Sharlayan. The 'Archon,' as he is called, devises a plan to summon the power of the Twelve, Eorzea’s pantheon of guardian deities, and use that power to banish Dalamud back to the heavens. But for this to succeed, the rite needs to be performed directly beneath the point of Dalamud's impact. After several sleepless nights of deliberation by the realm's foremost arcanists and astronomers, that point is determined to be a vast swathe of barren lowlands in central Eorzea known as the Carteneau Flats. With this information in hand, the Grand Companies order the immediate mobilization of their forces.

Unbeknownst to the Alliance, the soldiers of the VIIth Imperial Legion, oblivious to their leader's dark intentions, have also begun gathering in central Eorzea. Ordered to defend the area with their lives, they prepare for a fight, unaware that victory will bring about their own demise.

And so, with two great hosts amassed, the Battle of Carteneau begins.

Both sides fight with a desperation-fueled frenzy, neither yielding the other ground, until from the skies, a great roar issues.  Dalamud has begun its final metamorphosis. In a matter of moments, the stone and metal of the moon's crust crumble away to reveal none other than the elder primal, Bahamut, now free from his ancient prison.

And thus do the people of Eorzea learn what it is that truly faces them. Never was it the White Raven's intention to blight the realm with Dalamud, but what slumbered within it.

Enraged after aeons of duress, Bahamut unleashes his wrath upon the realm, spewing forth endless fire and destruction. Louisoix quickly conjures a barrier to protect what remains of the Eorzean Alliance, and then begins the arcane rite that will channel the power of the Twelve and focus it into rebinding Bahamut. The sheer force of the primal, however, is too strong for even the Archon, and his efforts fail.

Realizing the end is nigh, Louisoix summons the last of his strength to call upon Althyk, the Keeper, god of space and time, to send those surviving heroes into an aetherial rift, where they are to remain untouched by the passing of the seasons until it is once again safe to emerge...and continue their struggle to forge Eorzea's future.

#9 Graystone

Graystone

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Square enix is stuck in the past, they should stick to publishing, not developing..

I wouldn't judge ARR based on this video personally.

We all know it's either going to suck so bad they are going to have to stop making FFs all together, or it will be final world of warcraft xiv.

Edited by Graystone, 13 November 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#10 xarallei

xarallei

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1102 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Well the video looks great. And I like the art design. But that doesn't mean the game will be good. And if it has a sub I most likely won't play. If it was b2p I would definitely give it a shot.

#11 Klaleara

Klaleara

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

I hope the new one is good.  But I don't think it will be very impressive.

#12 General Typhus

General Typhus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GanK]

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:38 AM

The plot twist rather reminds me of Rift actually

#13 PunNyJR

PunNyJR

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

what are these nagative minds ....

one thing u should know it's made it Japan - Asia. Im also Asian but i've studying in Uk and Na i really have different taste from Western ppl.

if u dont like then fine but dont say all ppl around the world would be like you.

Edited by PunNyJR, 21 November 2012 - 03:24 AM.

#14 Wifflebottom

Wifflebottom

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SOL]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

It's really neat that they gave a lore explanation for why the game is getting rebooted, most likely won't play it but the trailer was intense.

#15 Tellia

Tellia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

i really wonder if they can salvage this game WITH its sub fee. isnt it asking too much for people to give this a proper go again, after an epic failure, and pay the sub fee? imo a f2p model would suit it more and not only get some old players back to see whats what, but also get some new ones in who knew better than to touch ffxiv at all the 1st time around. its going to be difficult for them to give it a second chance i think, and f2p would have helped. i cant see the sub fee helping this game in any way and if it doesn fail spectacularly, itll probably end up going f2p eventually anyway.

#16 ZoeMayZing

ZoeMayZing

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

This video is incredible; The heroes actually lose, and the world gets obliterated! Fantastic premise...too bad it's for an MMO. The idea behind it would've been perfect for a single player game, which is what they should be focusing on anyways. I miss the days of firing up the SNES, popping in a newly rented Blockbuster game, and immersing myself in the wonders of Final Fantasy.

#17 Malrend

Malrend

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

If there are any XIV veterans, you might want to know that the global Alpha test starts on Wednesday the 28th of November, the invites will be sent out on the 26th.

#18 psygnosis

psygnosis

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

They released a new trailer lately and a bunch of videos with ingame footage, mechanic wise
it looks kinda standard but i always liked the franchise and the world looks pretty good:

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn - Limit Break Trailer

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn - Levequests and Party Combat (Alpha)

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn - Gathering and Crafting (Alpha)

Beta testing starts in late February and you can apply on the homepage for an invite http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/,
anyone signed up so far?

There is also a full PDF available with a shedule and information about all the beta phases and stuff:
http://gdl.square-en..._Roadmap_EN.pdf

Posted Image

Edited by psygnosis, 21 January 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#19 Kalx

Kalx

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RWS]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

[edit] Nevermind I fixed it

Edited by Kalx, 22 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#20 The_Blades

The_Blades

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

square enix will never be square soft. and thats all i have to say about that :D

#21 Reverse Ghost

Reverse Ghost

Horrors Persist

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 201 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

I just got into the beta for this. It goes live this weekend apparently: the 12th.

The whole registration process and entering the key was a huge pain in the balls, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done. I played the beta of their first attempt at this game. You've heard the stories, it was terrible. Hopefully this will be better.

So who else got in? We should party up if you know what I mean.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

#22 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Launching August 27th.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users