Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Need help downloadding GW2!


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Taishar203

Taishar203

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Location:India
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

So I've gone and finally bought the game (saved up a lot of cash for the hardware upgrade and stuff) but now that the discs arrived last night, I just can't seem to get them installed on my PC! It starts downloading right off the internet! Now I have a really slow 256 kbps connection so the math says I need atleast 7*24 hours assuming the whole game is 14GB download! That is not an issue again as I don't have a bandwidth cap( obviously not at these speeds :D) but my patience has run out cuz I internet just bonked off sometime, prolly for a few seconds, yesterday night and NOW I see that all my effort has gone to waste as it got stuck at 35%!! I mean WTF! 40+ hours gone to waste! It's not even resuming from then onward, just re-download everything from scratch!

It looks like I only have one option remaining, one which I've seen suggested many times when I googled my problem: Get the game on a USB stick and copy/paste it on my PC! From someone else!
I would hate to bother anyone with my problems, so I'd like to ask here if there are any other options available to me? Like repair the DVDs somehow or whatever? So much trouble even after I paid extra to get the DVDs grr

Any input is highly appreciated!
Regards~

PS: I live in Mumbai Suburbs, India. T_T;
EDIT: OMG I typo'd the thread title! Hope there's an achievement for that >_>;

Edited by Taishar203, 12 November 2012 - 11:25 AM.


#2 Vayra86

Vayra86

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Heh, funny, just responded with a suggestion similar to yours in your last thread.

USB copy is the way to go buddy.

#3 Taishar203

Taishar203

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Location:India
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

This is my first-est thread ever created here :P. I am over-optimistic sometimes!

Looks like I need to hunt some GW2 players in my locality then. Don't want to start a new thread so I hope someone sees this~ For the Iron Legion!

LF> Players in Mumbai, India!

#4 andy1765

andy1765

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Location:Don't know...too dark.
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostTaishar203, on 12 November 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

NOW I see that all my effort has gone to waste as it got stuck at 35%!! I mean WTF! 40+ hours gone to waste! It's not even resuming from then onward, just re-download everything from scratch!


Are you *sure*?

The percentage should reset on what it's got *left to download*.
e.g.
You 'cancel' download at 50% for whatever reason.
Start the client again & it recommences saying 0% but that should just be 0% of the remaining 50% that needs to be downloaded.
Stop it at 50% again it should actually have downloaded 75% - if you get my drift!

Check the size of the downloaded dat file.

But, yeah, an updated copy of the dat file on a USB stick does save a *lot* of time!!

[[Editted: typo]]

Edited by andy1765, 12 November 2012 - 12:46 PM.


#5 Taishar203

Taishar203

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Location:India
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

View Postandy1765, on 12 November 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Are you *sure*?

The percentage should reset on what it's got *left to download*.
e.g.
You 'cancel' download at 50% for whatever reason.
Start the client again & it recommences saying 0% but that should just be 0% of the remaining 50% that needs to be downloaded.
Stop it at 50% again it should actually have downloaded 75% - if you get my drift!

Check the size of the downloaded dat file.

But, yeah, an updated copy of the dat file on a USB stick does save a *lot* of time!!

[[Editted: typo]]
I get what you mean but in games like GW2, only the main .dat file gets downloaded, not individual folders/files. So if the connection ever terminates, the download stops short at whatever segment it was downloading. I suppose even if it was to resume, there would always be a big risk of corrupt files even after the download completes. Really hoping I meet some player around my locality here (even same city is ok lol) cuz the USB copy/paste method is heaven-sent for people like me!
But then again you wouldn't trust a complete stranger visiting you place/plugging his USB into you rig, would you? :(

#6 andy1765

andy1765

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Location:Don't know...too dark.
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostTaishar203, on 12 November 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

I get what you mean but in games like GW2, only the main .dat file gets downloaded, not individual folders/files.

As far as I was aware, GW2 is able to continually add to the dat file until such time as it had completed - that was the case for the when the BWE started & it took me 2-3 days to download the whole thing!

View PostTaishar203, on 12 November 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

But then again you wouldn't trust a complete stranger visiting you place/plugging his USB into you rig, would you? :(

Nope!

Edited by andy1765, 12 November 2012 - 01:05 PM.


#7 Tellia

Tellia

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostTaishar203, on 12 November 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

I get what you mean but in games like GW2, only the main .dat file gets downloaded, not individual folders/files. So if the connection ever terminates, the download stops short at whatever segment it was downloading. I suppose even if it was to resume, there would always be a big risk of corrupt files even after the download completes. Really hoping I meet some player around my locality here (even same city is ok lol) cuz the USB copy/paste method is heaven-sent for people like me!
But then again you wouldn't trust a complete stranger visiting you place/plugging his USB into you rig, would you? :(

even though its all a big .dat file, and even though the progress bar starts at 0% when you open it....the game will be downloading, and resuming from where it left off. even at a slow download rate you should be able to leave it overnight and be done with it.

if you cant do that, dont worry about corrupting anything by starting/resuming it all the time. i must have restart the download a good 20-30 times for various reasons (closing the download to download something else, closing it to play a game, closing it to turn the pc off, etc). and i never had any problems with a corrupt .dat file after all that.

also, when the game updates, it rewrites certain parts of the file, again no corruptions. youre worrying about nothing.

#8 Taishar203

Taishar203

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Location:India
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostTellia, on 12 November 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

even though its all a big .dat file, and even though the progress bar starts at 0% when you open it....the game will be downloading, and resuming from where it left off. even at a slow download rate you should be able to leave it overnight and be done with it.

if you cant do that, dont worry about corrupting anything by starting/resuming it all the time. i must have restart the download a good 20-30 times for various reasons (closing the download to download something else, closing it to play a game, closing it to turn the pc off, etc). and i never had any problems with a corrupt .dat file after all that.

also, when the game updates, it rewrites certain parts of the file, again no corruptions. youre worrying about nothing.
This is THE MOST reassuring post I have read on this forum! Thanks a lot for the confirmation Tella, this clears up a lot of things for me. Now I can happily download the game for over 10 days in bits and parts! Hurrah :D

#9 Vayra86

Vayra86

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

You deserve it for your efforts alone :)

#10 Taishar203

Taishar203

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Location:India
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Haha thanks. Well I don't know why but I decided to re-install the entire game again, unfortunately forgetting the resume capability Tella mentioned. Major /facepalm once I realized it about an hour later.

Current Status: Happily downloading again with a pause once. 20% ^^;




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users