#1 IDarko

IDarko

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5486 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dius]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Massively and Mmorpg.com shared some details about the new PvP map! Discuss and share your thoughts here.

Posted Image

Bigger screenshot

PvP players rejoiced to hear about a new sPvP map that'll be debuting in this patch. This map takes place on one of the Kodan's floating sanctuaries. Called the Temple of the Silent Storm, the location is the Kodan's place of meditation and training. This iceberg map will be "very vertical." Players moving through the rooms of the dojo will find buffs to meditate on and a powerfull boss; killing that boss will result in the killing team gaining ownership of all the capture points in the map. ~Massively

The twist is in the series of buffs that will be strewn throughout the map. Players can meditate at certain areas to acquire buffs that confer bonus points for a variety of activities, ranging from killing other players to capturing objectives. However, the buff that is likely to be contested the most is one that will reset all the capture points throughout the map. ~ Mmorpg.com

--

I really don't know what to think. The idea of having a vertical map sounds pretty cool to me, as a thief player. On the other hand, the small corridor doesn't look like fun to me. With the shitty camera we have and the crazy spell effects.. ugh! The mechanic sounds crazy aswell. That said, I can't wait to play it honestly. Even if it's just to have some variety again. ;)

Edited by IDarko, 12 November 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#2 Roland Der Meister

Roland Der Meister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like its gonna be one big fight to kill that boss along with the boss killing players IT MUST BE A STRONG BOSS TO BE GIVING CONTROL OF ALL THE POINTS sorry caps lolz

#3 Enforcer

Enforcer

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LW]

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Sounds like range class will have a huge advantage on this. *yes, I'm looking at you kill shot warriors*

Man guardian really need a better range weapon.

#4 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1616 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

The twist is in the series of buffs that will be strewn throughout the map. Players can meditate at certain areas to acquire buffs that confer bonus points for a variety of activities, ranging from killing other players to capturing objectives. However, the buff that is likely to be contested the most is one that will reset all the capture points throughout the map. ~ Mmorpg.com

This quote alone shows that this map will probably not be an acceptable map for competitive play.

A map reset based on killing a NPC and Multiple Buffs is great for common/casual play but it seems that these bonuses will be extremely imba in high level play and could cause serious snowballing more so than any other map.

For casual hot join this map will be fun, but for competitive play I hope to god it's  really monitored if they plan to added it to tournament play.

My issue List:
1. Reset Boss, this mechanic could create "come backs" but really if a team is winning do you think they will just let you kill the boss?
2. Bonuses would more likely create more snowballs than comebacks and would have to be spaced around the map well in order to not allow a winning team to win more. (or spawn based on losing team)
3. Vertical maps, already in Legacy and BoK there are issues with ranged classes having such superior use over melee because of abuse of vertical layout.

View PostEnforcer, on 12 November 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Sounds like range class will have a huge advantage on this. *yes, I'm looking at you kill shot warriors*

An issue I'm going to be addressing soon. I know some key ways to improve the Scepter

Sneak Peak:
1. Make #1 count as a projectile to use with combo fields
2. Improve Smite accuracy (either have it hit everything in the area or if one target is in/near center have all hit focus that target like old smite)
3. Add a low chance daze to Smite

#5 Dirame

Dirame

Golem Rider

• Community Contributors
  • 2244 posts
  • Server:Vabbi

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

I guess this is why we get to test it before it goes into proper circulation.

#6 Ezra

Ezra

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostAodan, on 12 November 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

An issue I'm going to be addressing soon. I know some key ways to improve the Scepter

Sneak Peak:
1. Make #1 count as a projectile to use with combo fields
2. Improve Smite accuracy (either have it hit everything in the area or if one target is in/near center have all hit focus that target like old smite)
3. Add a low chance daze to Smite

What kind of ridiculous self-inflated ego post is this.

A *sneak peak* of your thoughts on how to change the Scepter...

You aren't a developer, these changes won't get implemented just because you posted them.

There have been dozens of Scepter change proposal threads on this forum and the official forum and all the threads go on for multiple pages with loads of people posting ideas. Your ideas are nothing new, they could have been copied from anywhere.

#7 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1616 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostEzra, on 13 November 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

What kind of ridiculous self-inflated ego post is this.

A *sneak peak* of your thoughts on how to change the Scepter...

You aren't a developer, these changes won't get implemented just because you posted them.

There have been dozens of Scepter change proposal threads on this forum and the official forum and all the threads go on for multiple pages with loads of people posting ideas. Your ideas are nothing new, they could have been copied from anywhere.

Not really self inflating, nor did I state anything of that sorts. The scepter for Guardian is still lacking as a ranged weapon compared to all other "scepters/ranged options".

On the appropriate channels ill voice my thoughts and two of them I've posted about before long ago both around bwe2 ( smite/ general scepter issues) and when the ranged weapons thread for Guardian on guru ( #1 as a projectile)

Back onto topic, the biggest issue is that guardians lack vertical play heavily. Thus this map will force guardians into bunker roles or dbl grd (1 medi).

I don't think a highly vertical map could be ideal for competitive play, esp with the current ranged Meta

Edited by Aodan, 13 November 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#8 Garethh

Garethh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1468 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

fugging fugging fruks.
They still haven't fixed SPvP servers yet are releasing more stuff...

I would loving being able to pick and chose servers of my skill level and of the size/maps I want...
But nope, none of it...
Being rank 39 causes 'play now' to throw me in empty servers or where 2 guildies are testing shit 75% of the time.
I am bored enough that I don't care that I dislike the games playstyle, but having to spend a good 10-45mins to find a server with people I want to play with is just despicable and causing week long gaps in log ins...

Ugh...
Why do they feel throwing more conquest at the game is solving any problem???
I guess that's all the rant for now...

Edited by Garethh, 13 November 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#9 Roland Der Meister

Roland Der Meister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

View PostEnforcer, on 12 November 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

If you stand still long enough to get hit by a kill shot on this map you deserve to die

Edited by Roland Der Meister, 13 November 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#10 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1616 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostGarethh, on 13 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

fugging fugging fruks.
They still haven't fixed SPvP servers yet are releasing more stuff...

I would loving being able to pick and chose servers of my skill level and of the size/maps I want...
But nope, none of it...
Being rank 39 causes 'play now' to throw me in empty servers or where 2 guildies are testing shit 75% of the time.
I am bored enough that I don't care that I dislike the games playstyle, but having to spend a good 10-45mins to find a server with people I want to play with is just despicable and causing week long gaps in log ins...

Ugh...
Why do they feel throwing more conquest at the game is solving any problem???
I guess that's all the rant for now...

Custom Arena will solve a lot of this

View PostRoland Der Meister, on 13 November 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

If you stand still long enough to get hit by a kill shot on this map you deserve to die

Agreed, not to mention you have plenty of time to blind them with most professions or LOS the shot

#11 Athletic

Athletic

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostAodan, on 13 November 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

I don't think a highly vertical map could be ideal for competitive play, esp with the current ranged Meta
wait... wut?

#12 Garethh

Garethh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1468 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

View PostAodan, on 13 November 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Custom Arena will solve a lot of this
It would, any word on any work being done towards it?

#13 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1616 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostAthletic, on 13 November 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

wait... wut?

Mesmer Great Sword (damage on range)
Ranger Short bow, esp the hybrid meta is a ton of quick burst/condi damage that is very hard to los quickly before the stacks are on you.
Engi nades
Thief bow

These two/three professions esp the mesmer (portal) would be highly if not must professions for a vertical map.Like Legacy esp, "wall" play is a huge part of comps/strats, a map that crutches on that even more would create a huge gap for melee apart from thieves.

View PostGarethh, on 13 November 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

It would, any word on any work being done towards it?

They said that after Paid, the next goal would be to bring out custom arena.
My thought is that they are waiting to finish some type of obs mode before bringing out custom arena to make sure all the tools are present for ladders/tournaments

#14 Garethh

Garethh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1468 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostAodan, on 13 November 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

These two/three professions esp the mesmer (portal) would be highly if not must professions for a vertical map.Like Legacy esp, "wall" play is a huge part of comps/strats, a map that crutches on that even more would create a huge gap for melee apart from thieves.
It depends.
If these walls lead to allot of cavernous passes, or the buffs are in close quarters melee still will have its place.

#15 Dirame

Dirame

Golem Rider

• Community Contributors
  • 2244 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think melee will always have it's place, it's not like people can't bring scorpion wire or spectral grasp or the toolkit to pull people of ledges.

#16 Wifflebottom

Wifflebottom

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SOL]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

View PostRoland Der Meister, on 13 November 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

I think he was referring to sniping the boss with kill shot not other players.

#17 IDarko

IDarko

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5486 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostDirame, on 14 November 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

I think melee will always have it's place, it's not like people can't bring scorpion wire or spectral grasp or the toolkit to pull people of ledges.

lol? Necros and thieves don't melee that much in teamfights right now! Right now, dropping marks and clusterbombs from a cliff is what they do. So they are already up there... Besides, seems like a waste of a skillslot! ;p

Maybe they should actually give "melee" classes these kind of u-skills? Guardians and warriors mainly.

Edited by IDarko, 14 November 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#18 obsie

obsie

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Why cant they make a NORMAL MAP already? But no instead they keep pulling out weird funky shit like this that no one really wants. Do they even play their own game?

#19 Roland Der Meister

Roland Der Meister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

View Postobsie, on 14 November 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

Why cant they make a NORMAL MAP already? But no instead they keep pulling out weird funky shit like this that no one really wants. Do they even play their own game?

What the hell qualifies as a normal map

#20 Athletic

Athletic

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostAodan, on 13 November 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Mesmer Great Sword (damage on range)
Ranger Short bow, esp the hybrid meta is a ton of quick burst/condi damage that is very hard to los quickly before the stacks are on you.
Engi nades
Thief bow
None of those are used often at all...

#21 Dirame

Dirame

Golem Rider

• Community Contributors
  • 2244 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Too be honest, we've been doing fine with Ranged versus Melee so far. Ranged classes might be able to use high ground to their advantage but that has never meant they will always win. In fact sometimes they jeopradize their team by staying up there.

View PostIDarko, on 14 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

lol? Necros and thieves don't melee that much in teamfights right now! Right now, dropping marks and clusterbombs from a cliff is what they do. So they are already up there... Besides, seems like a waste of a skillslot! ;p

Maybe they should actually give "melee" classes these kind of u-skills? Guardians and warriors mainly.

To you it might seem like a waste of skill slot but my point neuting thief/Necro/Engineer think otherwise.

#22 nurt

nurt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2386 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WIN]

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

The buffs specifics will mostly likely see some tweaking once the population at large gets a hold of the map and starts to figure it out, but it looks cool to me.

Edited by nurt, 14 November 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#23 Cheddarpuma

Cheddarpuma

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostAthletic, on 14 November 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

None of those are used often at all...
I disagree. I play free and paid tournaments very often and the range builds that Aodan was talking about are very common. People stand up on the keep at forest, the cliffs on foefire, and the clock tower windows on kyhlo. Thieves use short bow for insane aoe dmg in team fights and sb rangers and nade engies are far from uncommon in tournaments as well.

Edited by Cheddarpuma, 14 November 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#24 Ruufio

Ruufio

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I don't know why I even care that this map and Raid on the Capricorn won't be in the tournament rotation, I don't even play tournaments. I find that tournament players are a bunch of elitist cry-babies who are unwilling to accept change, even though they ask for it, when it comes they deny it.

If Temple of the Silent Storm was one of the original maps since beta and had been here all along, you all would have been fine with it because it would have been natural in the meta. If Battle of Khylo was the one that was just newly being released, you would all complain about unfairness with height advantages and trebuchets and advantages certain classes have. If Forest of Nifhlel was the one just being released, you'd all complain about mobility advantages and boss-tagging advantages in certain classes.

It is impossible to please the tournament players. Really, what does count as a normal map? A perfectly symmetrical 8x8 square with exactly equal starting locations and capture points with no terrain at all and only node capture without any other objectives? Just a flat grid.

You're just sticking yourselves with the same 3 maps forever at this rate, which are no different when it comes to balance with certain classes. (Which isn't even that bad anyway)  Enjoy having 3 tournament maps for a very long time..

Edited by Ruufio, 14 November 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#25 obsie

obsie

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

View PostRoland Der Meister, on 14 November 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

What the hell qualifies as a normal map
a normal map is a map without all the funky shit :)

#26 Garethh

Garethh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1468 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Some difference in what you can play in pug play tends to be wonderful.
This conquest and pugging don't go well together in the slightest.

Edited by Garethh, 14 November 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#27 Athletic

Athletic

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostCheddarpuma, on 14 November 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

I disagree. I play free and paid tournaments very often and the range builds that Aodan was talking about are very common. People stand up on the keep at forest, the cliffs on foefire, and the clock tower windows on kyhlo. Thieves use short bow for insane aoe dmg in team fights and sb rangers and nade engies are far from uncommon in tournaments as well.
Thieves use shortbow when disengaging not as primary source of damage, gs mesmer wouldn't be an issue to a bunker whatsoever when he's fighting from a distance and grenade engi is only good in foefire.

And since when do people actually send loads of people to fight for keep at forest? It seems like your meta is months behind.

#28 Roland Der Meister

Roland Der Meister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postobsie, on 14 November 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

a normal map is a map without all the funky shit :)
What Funky shit are you talking about Cause tbh it seem like no matter what Arena net dose none of you kids are ever satisfied. You all always want something for nothing and i was here when people complained about the lack of maps and then when they add more interesting maps you all complain complain complain arenanet cant win for losing.

#29 IDarko

IDarko

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5486 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostAthletic, on 14 November 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Thieves use shortbow when disengaging not as primary source of damage, gs mesmer wouldn't be an issue to a bunker whatsoever when he's fighting from a distance and grenade engi is only good in foefire.

And since when do people actually send loads of people to fight for keep at forest? It seems like your meta is months behind.

You obviously don't play thief.

I and pretty much every high ranked thief streamer i have seen so far, use shortbow 50% of the time. Sure it's ment for disengaging but it's extremely good in teamfights and against downed enemies. Poison + clusterbombs stop most ressurect attempts.

If you do play thief, you are playing it wrong.

#30 Athletic

Athletic

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostIDarko, on 14 November 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

You obviously don't play thief.

I and pretty much every high ranked thief streamer i have seen so far, use shortbow 50% of the time. Sure it's ment for disengaging but it's extremely good in teamfights and against downed enemies. Poison + clusterbombs stop most ressurect attempts.

If you do play thief, you are playing it wrong.
Nah, it's called dancing dagger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users