• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Quick Build Reference with a bit of Commentary.

guardians rule

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

In the spirit of mutual learning and for easy reference, I would like to take the liberty of compiling some of the most talked about Guardian Builds in this forum. I'll just pitch in my two cents regarding their use and my experimenting in trying to use them or trying to come close to using them. (I hope the original posters don't butcher me, as I truly appreciate the effort they made in coming up with their own guides.)

I have yet to make up my mind which among them (or a combination of their individual points) that I will mark as my personal guardian build. Each is a great read for those who are looking for a build to use for their own Guardians.

Strife's Build: This is a variation of Altruistic Healing Build. Pumping both Valor and Honor to 30 for extreme survival. It makes use of a combination of Power/Toughness/Vitality and Power/Precision/Toughness Gears to really make your Guardian a rock. In my experience, there are a lot of Altruistic Healing builds, and generally they have notable offense, and have the capacity to support the party through boons and just practically being a survivor.

Ultramatum's Build: This one caught my eye due to the fact that it moved away from using Valor  as one of its Trait lines. It was pretty different as well as it used the Staff as its main weapon. (Not say that it can't be used for the other Two-Handed Weapons) This build, while I haven't fully geared it deals critical damage in spades. There's no trouble of targeting since any five targets in front of you gets slapped with 1K - 2.5K damage from #1 and #2 Staff Skills. It makes use of Power/Precision/Critical Damage and Power/Vitality/Critical Damage gears to really pack a kick without sacrificing Support or Survival.

Ultramatum's Support Build: This one is all about making those boons last. With a focus in Honor and Virtues, this read is one of my favorite support builds in terms of being that ultimate party player. It's a really tough build having 20K HP and all the healing and utility to buy your party the time to last all those encounters. It uses Power/Toughness/Vitality and Power/Vitality/Critical Damage gears. While focuses more on support, it doesn't lag behind in the damage department either. It has a similar Trait distribution as Dreyan's Build, but made use of Cleric's Gear. Just goes to show how Guardian's can play a bit differently in the hands of different players.

How to be a Tank: This is my recent favorite by paradiselight. Despite being convinced by Ultramatum's view on foregoing the use of Valor, I can't deny that I began as a Valor (Toughness) Junkie with this awesome awesome class. The prospect of controlling mobs is still a thing we have yet to grasp in this game since the traditional sense of tanking was thrown out the window. This actually made my head turn, as I was about the purchase T3 skins for my Berserker's Armor (Following Ultramatum's build) It is a actually a variation of an Altruistic Healing build, with max Radiance, as opposed to the conventional 0 - 15 points invested in that trait.

The Moral

As I've mentioned, these builds offer a lot of insights with how you could build a Guardian. They share some common points and in some occasions differ. More than just confusing me which armor set I should finally use my T3 on, what I want to drive at here is that trial and error should be an endeavor each of us has to undergo to get to that personal build. There's only so much reading could offer.

I'm currently sold between the trait distribution of Ultramatum's Build and Stacking Toughness as Suggested by the last build link.

Edited by jpg1, 13 November 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#2 Meta04

Meta04

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Server:Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

This is very nice jpg1. I'm currently living an identity crisis and I needed all of these guides in one post. ( I Went from Tank-Heal, to Support, to Burning Man....and now I just hit 80 and I'm going back to Tank-Heal! XD)  Thanks again,

#3 Azulokuala

Azulokuala

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Which one should I use for leveling ?

#4 Flour

Flour

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Needed this post, a good answer to my thread I started yesterday.

So you're currently sold (in love?) with using "Ultramatum's Build:" trait points and following all but the trait points from "How to be a Tank:" ?

Edited by Flour, 19 December 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#5 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:35 AM

View PostFlour, on 19 December 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Needed this post, a good answer to my thread I started yesterday.

So you're currently sold (in love?) with using "Ultramatum's Build:" trait points and following all but the trait points from "How to be a Tank:" ?

Ultramatum's traits are pretty good. It offers both offense and defense with great synergy. However, I did not go for his gear recommendations since I think his armor is pretty low. I want my Guardian to attract some of the aggro, and following the other build suggests that having high armor can give you that. To be honest I don't follow any of these builds strictly, I merely picked up tidbits here and there. Here's an original post to cover what I've been working with for the past couple of weeks. Link

View PostAzulokuala, on 19 December 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Which one should I use for leveling ?

Ultramatum's build is pretty good. It actually doesn't rely on high-end traits to actually work. It would help that your gears are updated a few levels or so.

#6 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Could you comment on my build, though too be honest I'm not sure it's that much different to others, if it is them a summary is appreciated.

http://www.guildwars...-in-their-face/

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users