Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Raising the gear cap?


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3242 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

In light of "popular demand" for better stats on ascended gear, I am actually curious how much of Guru approves of A.Net raising stats.
Bugging a mod to include a poll. Please consider that ascended gear is better discussed in separate threads and this should be more of a general thread - it should apply to not only ascended gear, but also to things like expansion gear. Also, as always, the poll serves to soak up yes/no answers while posts should be reserved for, more than welcome, longer opinions.


The question should be a completely simple one:
Should the gear cap be raised?
Yes.
No.


Consider that the current cap is lvl 80 exotics. So, arguing that the cap should not be raised would mean that lvl 80 exotic gear would ALWAYS be the gear with the best stats - even after expansions.

Cheers!

#2 Valkaire

Valkaire

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 673 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Fire]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I honestly don't want there to be any gear progression but I see where they're trying to come from. As long as they don't make it so that better gear is 100% required to do major parts of the content then I'm fine with it. I think that this gives some nice balance between casual and hardcore players. Casuals can still do the dungeon but they probably won't get far enough into the difficulty where they 100% need ascended armor, but are still able to access and experience the content, and hardcores get a new place to grind for armor that will let them grind the dungeon even more. But that's only if they stop with ascended. So I guess I'm a no :P

Edited by Valkaire, 13 November 2012 - 09:28 AM.


#3 Wordsworth

Wordsworth

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostValkaire, on 13 November 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

I honestly don't want there to be any gear progression but I see where they're trying to come from. As long as they don't make it so that better gear is 100% required to do major parts of the content then I'm fine with it. I think that this gives some nice balance between casual and hardcore players. Casuals can still do the dungeon but they probably won't get far enough into the difficulty where they 100% need ascended armor, but are still able to access and experience the content, and hardcores get a new place to grind for armor that will let them grind the dungeon even more. But that's only if they stop with ascended. So I guess I'm a no :P

I would like it if "casuals" couldn't get far into the content because they were too incompetent, not because of a stat check.

If ANet gave me a way to refund all my exotics for gold or something to exchange for Ascended, even if it isn't a 1:1 rate, it'd lessen the blow.

Edited by Wordsworth, 13 November 2012 - 09:37 AM.


#4 Leriel

Leriel

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

What is "popular demand" is a good question, but i can tell you rightaway that neither guru nor official forums are it.
I am going to go ahead and guess it is some indirect data, like player activity statistics.

Nobody who is happy with the game/changes/etc is making threads about it, save for ocassional appreciation thread - they are busy playing :)

View PostWordsworth, on 13 November 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I would like it if "casuals" couldn't get far into the content because they were too incompetent, not because of a stat check.
Unless new stats were published, if there is going to be stat check remains to be seen.
Also, from my limited dungeon experience (se explorable) one boss was one hell of a competency check. If it is like that with other dungeons, it is fine.

Edited by Leriel, 13 November 2012 - 09:42 AM.


#5 Knuckledust13

Knuckledust13

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 470 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

There is already a thread for this

http://www.guildwars...ascended-items/

#6 Heart Collector

Heart Collector

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 932 posts
  • Location:Athens, Greece

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

The gear cap is not being raised per se as ascended items are still a tier below legendaries (statistically they'll be the same I think). The only thing they have going for them compared to legendaries are the infusion slots, which could very well be added later to other item tiers as well.

#7 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3242 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostHeart Collector, on 13 November 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

The gear cap is not being raised per se as ascended items are still a tier below legendaries (statistically they'll be the same I think). The only thing they have going for them compared to legendaries are the infusion slots, which could very well be added later to other item tiers as well.

Legendaries have currently the same stats as exotics and ascended items will have stats higher than exotics and this will also lead to legendaries' increasing (while keeping the exotics' stats on their current velev). I think this counts as a stats increase.
Still, as I said, this isn't JUST about ascended weapons (especially since we know that ascended items will raise the gear cap, which makes the question IF you even want the stats to be raised a bit obsolete) - it's more about the path you want A.Net to take. Is stats increase something you wish for GW2?



View PostKnuckledust13, on 13 November 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

There is already a thread for this

http://www.guildwars...ascended-items/

As I said, this is more about the poll and also about gear beyond ascended items. The poll also gives the people that don't want to go on and on about why an option is good/bad to express their views. And since the change was the result of a "popular demand", I am curious how Guru's userbase stacks up to this.

Edited by Protoss, 13 November 2012 - 10:12 AM.


#8 Heart Collector

Heart Collector

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 932 posts
  • Location:Athens, Greece

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostProtoss, on 13 November 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Legendaries have currently the same stats as exotics and ascended items will have stats higher than exotics and this will also lead to legendaries' increasing (while keeping the exotics' stats on their current velev). I think this counts as a stats increase.
Still, as I said, this isn't JUST about ascended weapons (especially since we know that ascended items will raise the gear cap, which makes the question IF you even want the stats to be raised a bit obsolete) - it's more about the path you want A.Net to take. Is stats increase something you wish for GW2?

No. I don't like vertical gear progression. Acutally my friend I hate it like hell! But the legendaries increase is gonna be there to keep them as the most unreachable top tier item. As long as ANet doesn't start adding items of any tier with blatantly better stats every other patch (barring infusion which will only work in the new dugneon hopefully), I think we'll be OK.

I think that ANet tried to find a sweet spot between progression and geargrind. Time will tell if it'll work out! :)

Edited by Heart Collector, 13 November 2012 - 10:21 AM.


#9 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3242 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostHeart Collector, on 13 November 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

I think that ANet tried to find a sweet spot between progression and geargrind. Time will tell if it'll work out! :)

The problem is that after 3 months they already discovered that the "sweet spot", that they worked on for 5 years, isn't working so they raised it.
Personally, it was already too high.

#10 Corsair

Corsair

    Is trivia

  • Super Moderators
  • 5470 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

The entirety of this thread is pretty much covered in the Ascended items thread. While this one may be more general, the Ascended Item is the same issue with a face rather than a hypothetical.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.


Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users