For me, more acceptable approach whould have been as follows:
To bridge the Exotic to Legendary gap:
1. Introduce infusion slots on existing items. Expand the same concept for the future content.
2. Introduce different upgrade components like runes that provide variety of effects, defense (such as KD resists, daze resists etc.) and offense benefits (Less chance to miss owing to elevation differences, more critical chances etc.) that can be added to these item slots without impacting the stat numbers.
Why I hate this "slightly higher stats" concept?
1. It introduces power creep way too early in the lifecycle of this MMO franchise. Given how old this game is, its like Nightfall just happened too early for this franchise.
2. The game is easy enough. Why would you introduce higher stat weapons that will simply murder the difficulty level of the current world mobs? I'd not even touch the issues that will impact the current dungeons. There are just too many existing already.
Why I hate this "Agony" condition?
1. Limiting this condition to only to the Fractal of Mists dungeon funnels the whole playerbase to one area/dungeon leaving the already empty world to its own fate.
2. It also marks the begining of the shift in the core of GW franchise philosophy.
Yeah, more gear to grind to grind more gear! And Mudflation begins..
What probably would have been sufficient for now?
1. Add “Storymode” dungeon content where players could get infused, much like GW1’s infusion mission mechanic, without resorting to grinding new gear.
2. Improve availability rate of the Legendary precursors.
Then maybe work on the following:
3. Add more PvP content - formats and maps. GW is a great game not because it had great PvE Storyline or missions or had more mobs to kill. It is a fun game because you can hop in and do any format of PvP that you want without having to dedicate a massive amount of time to enjoy it even when many formats were quite difficult to master.
4. Rethink WvW and make it so that more and more people participate in it without being motivated to complete the World Exploration or to do monthly or to farm BoH by doing jump puzzles while enjoying the content without being killed by invisible enemy zergers.
I did not spend $149 on this game to master the art of out-gearing 99% of the population as fast as I can so that I can grind more gear. I am very disappointed that GW2 has chosen to become another gear grind MMO. Is this WoW 2.0 since there are no Guild Wars in GuildWars 2?
It's really very disheartening. Now, flame me all you want.
Edited by Zhaitan, 13 November 2012 - 05:43 PM.