• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Attempting to make a GS PVP build, could use a little guidance.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Soryuju

Soryuju

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hey all, like the topic title says, I'm interested in making a Greatsword build for my Mesmer that could perform well in S/TPvP, but after experimenting for a while, I haven't found anything that really feels good compared to builds I've made for other classes.  At the moment, I'm running a Phantasm build that's specced 20/20/0/25/5.  It feels okay, but I feel like I'm not doing much but interrupting/controlling people with Illusionary Wave while randomly spamming my other skills, and so I decided to come here for some help.  

Now, I'm not here to ask someone to just make me a build - if someone wants to, that would be lovely, but my goal in making this thread is just to get a better understanding of the GS, its synergies with other weapons/utilities/traits, and the roles a GS Mesmer might have on a team.  I know there's a Comprehensive Mesmer Guide floating around on Youtube and a guide on these very forums, but these sources don't seem to be up to date, and I'd like to try to get current information/opinions.

From what I've gathered so far, it's not always ideal to use the GS from max range, since while that maximizes autoattack damage, it reduces the effectiveness of Mirror Blade and puts you out of range for Illusionary Wave.  I also know that clones and a high crit rate are popular to use with the GS, since each clone's autoattacks can proc up to three bleeds at a time with the Sharper Images trait.  I also know that iBerserker is a powerful phantasm that can do nice AoE damage without LoS.

Unfortunately, I feel like my knowledge of the weapon doesn't stretch far beyond these tidbits, and I still have lots of questions, including some very basic ones, like whether it's better to run the GS with a Phantasm or Shatter build, what sort of equipment/utilities would best complement the GS, and what a roles a GS Mesmer can fill effectively in more competitive play (free tournaments and possibly paid, though I'm not sure GS Mesmer is a thing in paid tourneys right now).

So, there's my plight.  I'd really appreciate any advice anyone would be able to give me, even if it's just a couple lines outlining ways to not make a fool of myself with the weapon. Hopefully the suggestions posted here can also help other people who are wondering the same sort of things. Thanks!

#2 The_Prestiege

The_Prestiege

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Res]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

I use a GS in my shatter build:

http://en.gw2skills....ak1sKZUy5j3HzPA

I find it a better option than staff for shatter builds simply because I tend to stack power & crit which benefit the GS more. The beserker is strong but in sPvP I normally just pop him, let him do 1 whirl & then I shatter. GS doesn't have a hep of synergy with utilities and IMO your utilities should reflect your build more than your weapon selection.

#3 Soryuju

Soryuju

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:08 AM

View PostThe_Prestiege, on 14 November 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

I use a GS in my shatter build:

http://en.gw2skills....ak1sKZUy5j3HzPA

I find it a better option than staff for shatter builds simply because I tend to stack power & crit which benefit the GS more. The beserker is strong but in sPvP I normally just pop him, let him do 1 whirl & then I shatter. GS doesn't have a hep of synergy with utilities and IMO your utilities should reflect your build more than your weapon selection.

Hey, thanks for the tips and build suggestion.  I tried it out, but at the moment, I'm pretty abysmal at the Shatter style - glass cannons in general aren't something I play terribly well, and I was having trouble getting consistent spikes off.  It seemed like even when I had 3 of my illusions shatter, sometimes only one or two would actually have any effect, and I'm not quite sure what was going wrong.  It's unfortunate, because I'm reading around the forums that Shatter builds are pretty much all that's being run at a tournament level. =/

I've been continuing to experiment, and right now I'm trying out a variation of Taugrim's Legion build.  This is the spec:

http://gw2skills.net...UjoGbNuak1s YYB

The biggest change I made from Taugrim's template is running the Staff over the Sword/Pistol, but I also switched up the traits and utilities some to create a spec with more emphasis on control that still has good damage output.  Staff is a solid option at close range, which allows it to complement the GS, and the combination of Illusionary Warlock and control-based conditions fits well with my build's power focus. Crippling Dissipation comes at the cost of Empowered Illusions, but being able to keep enemies consistently crippled relieves pressure on me.  That in turn compensates for the lost damage by giving me room to play more aggressively (and the GS does well when the opponent has a harder time getting into close range).  The other changes are mostly focused on boosting clone output (Mirror Images) for more bleeds and cripples while maintaining proper control of conditions on me (Mender's Purity).  Due to the high clone output, I can also occasionally mix a Shatter in when I need some AoE damage or extra utility.  Overall, it seems to be working fairly well right now, but I'm still open to suggestions or criticism that anyone has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users