• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sunspears

Sunspears

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hey everyone, i'm completely new to this and I need assistance in either buying a prebuilt computer or building one myself. My budget is around $850 and I need everything except speakers. So I need a decent size monitor, cheap mouse, keyboard, OS, etc and I also want my desktop to perform fast with at least mid-range to max graphics for GW2 if that is possible.

Since Black Friday sales are going on. Is this computer good enough to run GW2 or should I just buy individual parts and build it myself? I want your opinion on this computer: http://www.newegg.co...NovGaming111312

Note: Would I need to clean the internal parts of gaming desktop? My room collects dust sometimes and my previous computer overheated and died for this same reason.

Edited by Sunspears, 14 November 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#2 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1938 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

If you are able and willing to build your own, its almost always a better idea to do so. You'll be able to make smarter choices about components and probably end up with a better-balanced system for the same or less money.

Case in point: a gamer doesn't need a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM. A Core i5-3570K + 8 GB of RAM would have freed up ~$150 that could be spent on a decent video card that that pre-built system sorely lacks.

A good case may include dust filters, and if you know this might be a particular problem you might want to get a case that does. Normally a PC should be checked for dust occasionally and the temperatures monitored from time to time, but its not something you should have to do all that frequently. A modern PC should be down-clocking itself or shutting down to avoid damage from heat if everything is operating properly.

#3 LesionPVP

LesionPVP

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

If you do go the DIY route, which I VERY strongly recommend, and you're concerned about dust, I would suggest this case:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811235033

Isn't too pricey, looks awesome, and has four included dust filters, one in the front panel, two on the top, and one under the power supply, which is really all you need.

I've had this case for around 5 months now and I'm loving it. I really like the fogged side panel, and fins, the the grills on the front and sides just complete the whole thing.

The side panels are very thick and extremely rigid, as is the rest of the case.

I don't think ill be buying a new case for a while.

#4 Serris

Serris

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

newegg is a pretty good website, i heard.
but as others have said, if you want a "cheap" gaming rig, you'll have to build it yourself. 850 is a bit tight if you also need a monitor, especially if you want gw2 to run at mid to max graphics.
consider letting a professional build it for you though. it does cost some money, but it might also save you quite a bit of headache.

#5 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Firstly, i7 is a waste of money considering you can get an i5+ spare $ for your GPU or an SSD
For ram i would just stick to 8gb. No reason to go 16gb in 2012 for gaming gw2
GPU make sure it doesnt bottleneck CPU. I love the GTX 660ti as it is only a bit weaker than the 670.
So i am thinking i5 3570k + GTX 660ti + 8gb ram + an SSD to put games in. Or if you want to be cheap, get a 10000rpm HDD. Or get both.

#6 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I agree, that the i7 is not worth it, i5 + 8GB Ram is just fine. That's basically, what I'm using and I don't have any situations, where I would need more Ram. I'm not completely up to date concerning Graphics Cards, but the 7950 would be an alternative to the 660ti. I don't realy know, which one is faster. It might as well differ from game to game.

You might think about getting an SSD. It won't afffect games that much (only loading time) but it will make your PC run faster in general (e.g. faster startup)

For cleaning I use a compressor, if you don't have one canned air is an alternative.
A case with dust filters helps a lot. I have a Silverstone Raven 2, which also has dust filters and the difference is huge. My previous case had no filters, I had to clean it every 6 months to prevent overheating.
With filters there is still some dust coming thruogh, but it's so litlle, it doesn't cause any issues (just looks ugly).
Just make sure to clean the filters every now and then (I use a vacuum cleaner)
Important note: Wether you are using a compressor, canned air,a vacuum cleaner or whatever, make sure your fans can't spin.

#7 Sunspears

Sunspears

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I have this: http://secure.newegg...umber=25831007
I know i'm missing a motherboard,power supply, and others but i'm kinda stumped on which one is best/compatible for my build since I have no clue about these stuff lol. I'm willing to sacrifice graphics if it means better performance overall for GW2. I really want to include a monitor as well at least more than 1280x1024 resolution. I'm willing to bump up my budget to $900.

#8 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

Since I'm not completely up-to-date I can only give you some basic advice:
If you don't want to overclock, you can get a cheap mainboard, but don't save on the psu.
Also if you don't want to overclock, you could just get the i5-3570 (without "k").

#9 The_Tree_Branch

The_Tree_Branch

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostShadow209, on 14 November 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Since I'm not completely up-to-date I can only give you some basic advice:
If you don't want to overclock, you can get a cheap mainboard, but don't save on the psu.
Also if you don't want to overclock, you could just get the i5-3570 (without "k").

I wouldn't recommend overclocking if you are on a budget. Generally, if you do that, you'll want to get a better cooling system then what comes stock with the CPU. Echoing the thoughts above, you don't need an I7 processor. I run I5 and have all my settings maxed, game runs extremely smooth. I'd say 8 gigs of RAM is about right as well. From what I've seen, GW2 is pretty CPU bound right now, though that may change as they further optimize the game. I'd put about equal emphasis on CPU and graphics card.

Sites I would recommend shopping at are Newegg, Tiger Direct, and Amazon. Newegg generally has some really good deals on all of their components, so I would browse their daily and see what deals you can get on monitors (and other components). Sign up for their email list and you can get additional savings.

#10 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

Thats a perrty small budget to get a i5 3570k and everything else yo need.

Edited by Zerk2012, 15 November 2012 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users