Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Fractal of the Mists: Stuck Giant


  • Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Eenskolde

Eenskolde

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

So about 0:45 into this (http://www.youtube.c...&v=z78-u18is_g#!) video i saw something i have never seen before in Guild Wars.

Anyone got an idea on what/who that is, or is it not yet revealed lore?

#2 Meliai

Meliai

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 329 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

At first I thought it was from the Realm of Torment, but it doesn't look anything like Abaddon's minions.  I'm guessing it's one of the 'powerful entities' that inhabit the Mist.  Maybe it was created there?

#3 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

    Manager of the Void

  • Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Location:Inside you.
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

No clue, perhaps one of the bosses there. Looks like a semi-branded gigantic human (unlike giants in GW2, which are all cyclops, that thing looked like it had two eye sockets, though a very enclaved nose bridge between them).

But that last area looked a hell of a lot like the petrified Jade Sea to me. Perhaps that huge wurm like cyclops is the new model for Jade Sea leviathans.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.


#4 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 14 November 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

No clue, perhaps one of the bosses there. Looks like a semi-branded gigantic human (unlike giants in GW2, which are all cyclops, that thing looked like it had two eye sockets, though a very enclaved nose bridge between them).

But that last area looked a hell of a lot like the petrified Jade Sea to me. Perhaps that huge wurm like cyclops is the new model for Jade Sea leviathans.

You're right, the panned out shot showing the area floating definitely makes it look like a chunk of the Jade Sea <3
It even kind of has the face tendrils right (http://wiki.guildwar...e_Leviathan.jpg). Although it would sadden me a little bit, since it's quite a deviation from the GW1 Leviathans and it's eye seems really out of place.

What is curious to me about the giant is the chains binding its torso and neck.
If you compare the far shot at 0:45 with the closeup at 0:47 it almost looks like it fell backwards into the mountainside and was then chained there? (As in the mountains around it look to have caved backwards behind it forming a chasm around it. There are however some stone Arches just in front of it contrasting with the wooden scaffolding built up around it. Then again, this is the mists, who is to say that any sense of time or logic applies to it xD >.>

Edited by Flaming_Foxx, 14 November 2012 - 07:30 PM.


#5 Orual Fox

Orual Fox

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Rare]
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Just to move along the conversation, the article did say this (but I am excited!):

Some of these vignettes from history may be familiar to original Guild Wars players, while others will represent previously unseen events. Because of their eclectic origin, each fractal is built as a distinct, separate experience with themes, mechanics, and art specific to that fractal.

#6 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostOrual Fox, on 14 November 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Just to move along the conversation, the article did say this (but I am excited!):

Some of these vignettes from history may be familiar to original Guild Wars players, while others will represent previously unseen events. Because of their eclectic origin, each fractal is built as a distinct, separate experience with themes, mechanics, and art specific to that fractal.

That quote does however suggest that they DO have origins! Unseen events also doesn't necessarily refer to unknown events, just to things we haven't experienced in GW2 or GW1. I'm just really curious to see regardless! Hopefully there is a good mix of GW1 homages and brand new complexities.

(If I were to go on a conspiracy theorist type tangent I would point out the word "Unseen" and then translate that as Mursaat, and then point out the introduction of the Agony condition and infused armour. MURSAAT IN THE MISTS!)

Edited by Flaming_Foxx, 14 November 2012 - 07:34 PM.


#7 Sans

Sans

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 914 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

First thing I thought when looking at the trailer is that those areas look like alternate realities of real world tyria, unlike other Mists area's that we've seen in GW1, which were completely unique.

#8 Shew

Shew

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1094 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

That last area is totally part of the Jade Sea (err... an alternate Jade Sea area). Check out the wave in the bottom-left area:

Posted Image

#9 Swift Red

Swift Red

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 258 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TotA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

http://wiki.guildwar...anticus_Lupicus This is my guess.

#10 BuddhaKeks

BuddhaKeks

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 788 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GiGa]
  • Server:Abaddon’s Mouth

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Looked like a giant version of Razah to me. Fitting, since Razah was a humanoid created in the mist.

#11 Eenskolde

Eenskolde

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostSwift Red, on 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:


Correct me if im wrong, but i think a Giganticus Lupicus has already been seen in Arah explorable mode. And it did, to what i remember, not look anything like that (ofc it might have been risen, but still). There is a thread about it here in Durmand Priory

#12 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

View PostShew, on 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

That last area is totally part of the Jade Sea (err... an alternate Jade Sea area). Check out the wave in the bottom-left area:

Posted Image

Definitely, combined with the distinctive scaffolding of the Luxon excavators. There are also little red triangle garland type things which I'm quite certain were strewn throughout outposts on the Jade Sea.

View PostBuddhaKeks, on 14 November 2012 - 08:31 PM, said:

Looked like a giant version of Razah to me. Fitting, since Razah was a humanoid created in the mist.

There could be some inkling of truth to that, basing the observation off the skin colour. However, I can't be bothered finding the quote, but I I'm quite certain Anet stated in an interview that Razah will not be returning in GW2.
It would be more logical to suggest that this thing was created in much the same way as Razah was; by the mist coming into contact with "a suitable human template".

Edited by Flaming_Foxx, 14 November 2012 - 08:50 PM.


#13 Swift Red

Swift Red

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 258 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TotA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostEenskolde, on 14 November 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Correct me if im wrong, but i think a Giganticus Lupicus has already been seen in Arah explorable mode. And it did, to what i remember, not look anything like that (ofc it might have been risen, but still). There is a thread about it here in Durmand Priory
I have yet to play Arah Explorable. (Cannot find a group no matter how hard I try to find one.)

Edited by Swift Red, 14 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.


#14 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

That`s the dude who`s gonna bring us a lot of Agony !

Hehe, guessing that will be some kind of nasty boss, replacement for regular Dragons

#15 adra12

adra12

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Baltimore
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Giganticus Lupicus is definitely in Arah exp. It looks nothing like that and has an anubis like appearance (dog faced) which matchs the Lupicus commonality to Lupus (latin for wolf).

#16 Zedabi

Zedabi

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostOrual Fox, on 14 November 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Just to move along the conversation, the article did say this (but I am excited!):

Some of these vignettes from history may be familiar to original Guild Wars players, while others will represent previously unseen events. Because of their eclectic origin, each fractal is built as a distinct, separate experience with themes, mechanics, and art specific to that fractal.

The Guild Wars, maybe? Creation of the Bloodstone?

THE SUSPENSE!

#17 BuddhaKeks

BuddhaKeks

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 788 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GiGa]
  • Server:Abaddon’s Mouth

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 14 November 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

There could be some inkling of truth to that, basing the observation off the skin colour. However, I can't be bothered finding the quote, but I I'm quite certain Anet stated in an interview that Razah will not be returning in GW2.
It would be more logical to suggest that this thing was created in much the same way as Razah was; by the mist coming into contact with "a suitable human template".

Oh I should have clarified, when I said looks like Razah, I didn't mean it in a "this is Razah only bigger now" way but in a "that's a humanoid created in the mists, just like Razah, only bigger" way.^^

#18 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

    Manager of the Void

  • Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Location:Inside you.
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 14 November 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

That quote does however suggest that they DO have origins! Unseen events also doesn't necessarily refer to unknown events, just to things we haven't experienced in GW2 or GW1. I'm just really curious to see regardless! Hopefully there is a good mix of GW1 homages and brand new complexities.

(If I were to go on a conspiracy theorist type tangent I would point out the word "Unseen" and then translate that as Mursaat, and then point out the introduction of the Agony condition and infused armour. MURSAAT IN THE MISTS!)
One of the scenes looked like Divinity's Reach or some other large Krytan town/city was burning. I'm guessing that's one of the unseen events.

Would be humorous if we get a copy of one of the Beta finale events. Like the Inquest invading Divinity's Reach with giants again. Would be an awesome way to recycle those events.

Also: We know the mursaat have been to the Mists. During the last rise of the Elder Dragons, they fled the world. Where can one go outside the world but through the Mists?

View PostSwift Red, on 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

Nope.

Giganticus Lupicus' aren't that huge, though still huge in their own right, and are basically bipedal canines.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.


#19 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville, Florida [USA] - Zeon Frontlines
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[WM]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Just for the sake of convience-ish, here is a screeny of that entrapped Giant:
Posted Image

It reminds me of this area, back in GW1... Hmmm....
Posted Image

Some of those structures on the Fractal Image look Mayan/Aztec to me... and we all know that there was once an ancient civilization in the Tarnished Coast that had that type of architecture there, but they had disappeared or something. When the Asura came above surface they decided to utilize these ancient structures with their own architecture and technology.

Basically what I am getting at, I think this is a fractal in the mists taking place thousands of years ago. Where the ancient Tarnished Coast civilization thrived, I want to say that they entrapped these giants against the mountains and eventually they were infused with the mountains and became of what we see with those waterfalls.

___

As for the Jade Sea and Leviathan remark... strangely I am suddenly getting a vibe of Bubbles actually having to deal with Leviathans, Kanaxai, Reavers, Jade Sea Oni and such... eh, just saying.

Some other areas I think we will be hitting:
Creation of Sorrow's Furnace, The Foefire, Ice Caves of Sorrow

Hey it's just a guess...

Edited by EliteZeon, 15 November 2012 - 12:40 AM.


#20 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostEliteZeon, on 15 November 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

Just for the sake of convience-ish, here is a screeny of that entrapped Giant:


It reminds me of this area, back in GW1... Hmmm....


Some of those structures on the Fractal Image look Mayan/Aztec to me... and we all know that there was once an ancient civilization in the Tarnished Coast that had that type of architecture there, but they had disappeared or something. When the Asura came above surface they decided to utilize these ancient structures with their own architecture and technology.

Basically what I am getting at, I think this is a fractal in the mists taking place thousands of years ago. Where the ancient Tarnished Coast civilization thrived, I want to say that they entrapped these giants against the mountains and eventually they were infused with the mountains and became of what we see with those waterfalls.

___

As for the Jade Sea and Leviathan remark... strangely I am suddenly getting a vibe of Bubbles actually having to deal with Leviathans, Kanaxai, Reavers, Jade Sea Oni and such... eh, just saying.

Some other areas I think we will be hitting:
Creation of Sorrow's Furnace, The Foefire, Ice Caves of Sorrow

Hey it's just a guess...

I don't think the Sorrow's Furnace bit is likely, the area that I think gave you that impression has Charr-like mechanics rather than Dwarf-like.

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 14 November 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

One of the scenes looked like Divinity's Reach or some other large Krytan town/city was burning. I'm guessing that's one of the unseen events.

Would be humorous if we get a copy of one of the Beta finale events. Like the Inquest invading Divinity's Reach with giants again. Would be an awesome way to recycle those events.

Also: We know the mursaat have been to the Mists. During the last rise of the Elder Dragons, they fled the world. Where can one go outside the world but through the Mists?

Nope.

Giganticus Lupicus' aren't that huge, though still huge in their own right, and are basically bipedal canines.

Did not get to participate in the beta finales so I would be fine with this xD.

But yeah, I'm definitely hoping for some Mursaat related occurrences :D

#21 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

    Manager of the Void

  • Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Location:Inside you.
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostEliteZeon, on 15 November 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

As for the Jade Sea and Leviathan remark... strangely I am suddenly getting a vibe of Bubbles actually having to deal with Leviathans, Kanaxai, Reavers, Jade Sea Oni and such... eh, just saying.
I don't see much - or rather, any - relation between the DSD and Leviathans. For one side, the Tyrian Leviathans of GW2 were explicitly stated to be unrelated by ArenaNet. On the other side, the Jade Sea Leviathans hold no similarities to the (albeit, rather basic) description of the DSD and its minions that is twisted waters (and note, not living life form thus far to our knowledge -  indicating that the DSD acts much like Primordus, with a possible lack of mimicry).

Kanaxai, and in turn Oni and Outcasts, are a small possibility to be tied to an Elder Dragon, though I wouldn't be so certain of the DSD (and if so, then I would have to say there's a good distance between the DSD and Kanaxai - greater than Kralkatorrik and Glint). Though the lack of mention of the DSD corrupting living life, along with distance, are fairly big debuffers in that plausibility (though doesn't, yet, prevent such).

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 15 November 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

I don't think the Sorrow's Furnace bit is likely, the area that I think gave you that impression has Charr-like mechanics rather than Dwarf-like.
If you mean those drills, those be dredge technology. Which is derived from Stone Summit by appearances.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.


#22 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 15 November 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

If you mean those drills, those be dredge technology. Which is derived from Stone Summit by appearances.

Now that you mention it.... >.>
Well I retract my previous dismissal of the possibility of Sorrows Furnace then xD.

#23 Aizea

Aizea

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

Honestly........my first thought was Abbadon. We know the Gods eventually struck him down, maybe they chained up before doing?

Granted the bindings don't look "divine" to me, but just a thought I had.

#24 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2088 posts
  • Location:(づ。*◕__◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧・。*。✧ Magic!
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[HEAT]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

Which it could be none of the above? Maybe a precursor of what to expect in the next thing we can face? XD I don't know.

#25 Kyln

Kyln

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Location:Cloud Nine 3/4
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

My first thought was a Prometheus type character. Chained Titan anyone?

#26 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

    Manager of the Void

  • Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Location:Inside you.
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostAizea, on 15 November 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

Honestly........my first thought was Abbadon. We know the Gods eventually struck him down, maybe they chained up before doing?
Abaddon was killed in GW1. He was imprisoned in his own realm, the Realm of Torment (aka Nightmare Realm), and didn't look like that... well, after having been imprisoned, at least.

Now I'm reminded of the Nightfall concept art for the statues of Abaddon that got semi-reused for GW2 (but never appeared in GW1) in the Temple of the Forgotten God personal story step. In the concept art, the body was gray, kind of like the giant.

Perhaps the race Abaddon came from?

View PostKyln, on 15 November 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

My first thought was a Prometheus type character. Chained Titan anyone?
Not under the name "titan" though, since in GW those are three legged constructs created by tormenting souls.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.


#27 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Noone tought can be just a ... giant? Without any lore link, just a cool part of the dungeon, passing by. Shrugs. :zzz:

#28 Rekkwum

Rekkwum

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostLucas Ashrock, on 15 November 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Noone tought can be just a ... giant? Without any lore link, just a cool part of the dungeon, passing by. Shrugs. :zzz:
Giants only have 1 eye.

Given the skin appearance, and the fact that is just looks like a huge human, what if it's just a statue/sculpture that's been animated (and couldn't be unanimated).

Edited by Rekkwum, 15 November 2012 - 12:52 PM.


#29 Eenskolde

Eenskolde

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

What about Dr. Manhattan?

#30 MisterSin

MisterSin

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Location:Black Citadel
  • Guild Tag:[ICoa]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostEenskolde, on 15 November 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

What about Dr. Manhattan?

Brilliant!
I sure hope its not though
That would be tough to beat




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users