• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Anyone with an AMD Phenom x4 965 BE CPU have WvW experience?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jancro

Jancro

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my A6-3600 APU to a Phenom, does anyone here with the 965 test it out in WvW? My current fps in big zerges is at 5-8fps, I'd like to change that.

#2 Cowwie

Cowwie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Guild Tag:[[xG]]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostJancro, on 16 November 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my A6-3600 APU to a Phenom, does anyone here with the 965 test it out in WvW? My current fps in big zerges is at 5-8fps, I'd like to change that.

You'd be better off biting the bullet and getting a  new mb and a intel 3570k cpu imo, my amd 955 barely handles wvw when there are alot of players around, its playable but it can drop to like 15fps or less when there is a big fight going on.

This is with a 6950 radeon gfx card.

#3 Kirk

Kirk

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I have a AMD Phenom II 965 BE and it works perfectly for everything except Guild Wars 2, when there are a couple of dozen people in WvW I drop to about 15fps anywhere else and I'm usually around 40fps on any settings but I think it's due to optimization within the game that it's not performing as well as it could.

From experience with this processor it is good value for money however I've heard these things enjoy heat so not all of them will give you a stable overclock. (Like mine....)

Edited by Kirk, 16 November 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#4 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I agree with the wookie. A full fledged upgrade to an i5-3570k is the much better move. The PIIX4 doesn't run GW2 very well in WvW battles.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#5 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

A 955 will be far better than an A6 (it should be playable 15-20 FPS in large zergs).  Part of the issue will be graphics card and settings, which can be reduced.

#6 Cowwie

Cowwie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Guild Tag:[[xG]]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

View Postdhatcher1, on 16 November 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

From experience with this processor it is good value for money however I've heard these things enjoy heat so not all of them will give you a stable overclock. (Like mine....)

Yep definitely use after market cooler for it, dont oc it with the stock cooler.

View Postdhatcher1, on 16 November 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

A 955 will be far better than an A6 (it should be playable 15-20 FPS in large zergs).  Part of the issue will be graphics card and settings, which can be reduced.

In my case its mostly my 955, with a 6950 Radeon i find i get very little return from dropping my gfx from medium to the lowest setting in wvw.

In pve my 955 only struggles a bit when zergs are about. If hes going to upgrade his cpu he might as well go with whats current now, the 955+ are getting a bit old in tooth im some what shocked and some what relieved ive had mine for almost 3 years.

#7 Kirk

Kirk

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostCowwie, on 16 November 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

Yep definitely use after market cooler for it, dont oc it with the stock cooler.

Though I've got a beast of an after market cooler I still hit 67c while playing Guild Wars 2, used some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste as recommended and have 6 fans set up correctly with decent cable management but still no joy with temps.

Beginning to regret my purchase, I shouldn't have this issue.

I'll probably go intel in my next upgrade.

Edited by Kirk, 16 November 2012 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Kamui

Kamui

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

Go for a 4 or 6 core Vishera - the value is really good. Never mind Phenoms.

#9 GSSB Lunaspike

GSSB Lunaspike

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MBRN]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostJancro, on 16 November 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

Just out of curiosity which graphics cards are you using?

#10 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2010 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

The A6-3600 is a socket FM1 chip, so any worthwhile upgrade to is going to require a motherboard replacement anyway. Only another Llano APU will be a drop-in upgrade. I don't think even the new Trinity APUs (socket FM2) are compatible.

#11 Jancro

Jancro

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

Thank you for all the feedback.

I know that an i5 would give me the satisfaction I desire but it is really expensive. I was just hoping that a 965 would be enough to get playable fps numbers in large WvW fights. I am looking for an upgrade including motherboard+PSU+CPU, it just sucks that AMD doesn't offer any thing even close to intel at a decent price range. Why does GW2 make CPUs cry so much :(

Also - someone mentioned the new Vishera CPUs, has anyone heard anything good about them concerning GW2?

Edited by Jancro, 17 November 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#12 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3341 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

The Vishera CPUs are a step up from the older FX series. The top of the line is the FX-8350 (at this time). If you were going to replace the motherboard and CPU, and wanted to stick with AMD, the FX-8350 or FX-8320 would be your best choice, although the Phenom 965 would be a close second. I haven't seen any tests that directly relate to GW2 performance yet.

Edited by Quaker, 17 November 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#13 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostJancro, on 17 November 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

Thank you for all the feedback.

I know that an i5 would give me the satisfaction I desire but it is really expensive. I was just hoping that a 965 would be enough to get playable fps numbers in large WvW fights. I am looking for an upgrade including motherboard+PSU+CPU, it just sucks that AMD doesn't offer any thing even close to intel at a decent price range. Why does GW2 make CPUs cry so much :(

Also - someone mentioned the new Vishera CPUs, has anyone heard anything good about them concerning GW2?
If you live anywhere near a Micro Center http://www.microcent...Boxed_Processor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users