improvedai

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LD]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hey guys,

With the new patch down, I was hoping to explore some other build possibilities  Let me know what you guys think about this:

http://intothemists....-B04Ewk2Ewk25BB

What I wanted to do is to create a Power/Crit build that no longer relies on the off-hand Dagger skills. I will probably be revisiting S/P as well after this.

Trait selections start with the basics of max Critical Strikes. As a stealthy build, I also have max Shadow Arts with a final 10 points in Trickery. Some of the picks in these trait lines are what make the build interesting. The goal is to maximize opportunities for stealth, without having Cloak & Dagger available.

Avenues for Stealth

Black Powder + Heartseeker skill combo
Steal with Hidden Thief trait
Instinctual Response Trait as counter-burst measure
Hide in Shadows heal skill
Blinding Powder (also from last refuge trait) utility skill
Shadow Refuge utility skill

You are gaining 2 Initiative when you use a stealth skill, and in some cases blinding the area, while setting up for a backstab.

Mostly Berserker gear, with your preferred Power runes to make up for having no points in Deadly Arts..

I will probably be trying this out in WvW tonight, among other configurations. Usually my Shadow Arts line looks more cookie-cutter.

Any thoughts or discussion on D/P welcome in this thread.

Thanks.

#2 Drtrider

Drtrider

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EtG]

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Interesting build. Would like to see how it works. I'v fought thieves with this build before. It can be quite useful in 1v1 roaming in WvW. Is that what you're looking to do with this build?

I should be running some WvW this evening (I'm on your server as well) Would love to see first had how the build runs if you're looking for another thief to roam with. Let me know!

#3 Faded913

Faded913

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

u got no mobility except for shortbow, no swiftness, you gotta blow 9 ini to get 1 stealth off after your steal stealth and all the other stealth skills are defensive meaning if youre anywhere near another hit of any kind you'll probably go down, even in stealth.

With that said i think if you're a good player you can pull it off and it'd be interesting to see if it works because i find D/P kinda clunky. Shadow shot (the biggest non HS damager) misses alot and black powder seems like it a 1/2 sec to 1sec cast time.

#4 Mursie

Mursie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

i posted about master of deception in another thread.  the reduced cooldowns are ridic and I did just as you except 10 points in DA instead of trickery (purchased mug which is a great add to your dmg and gives you a poision on your opponent).  I still like baslik venom because of its short cooldown... and this build gives you good use of it... first, use stealth and backstab on its own to dmg...  then load up BV and fire a shadowshot to warp to and petrify your target allowing another good combo to hit.

I took stealth healing regen instead of 2 points to go into stealth on BP&HS.  I love this build.  your stealths are 3 seconds on steal, 4 seconds on BP, 11 seconds on refuge... 4 seconds on hide in shadows...do the math... and the reduced cooldowns you have...and its very feasible to always have a stealth option at hand for you.  Add to that the healing you get while in stealth and it is super nice.

my only complaint is as posted above... i hate losing access to swiftness and speed buff.... but the trade off so far has been pretty solid in wvw.

Edited by Mursie, 17 November 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#5 improvedai

improvedai

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostDrtrider, on 16 November 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Interesting build. Would like to see how it works. I'v fought thieves with this build before. It can be quite useful in 1v1 roaming in WvW. Is that what you're looking to do with this build?

I should be running some WvW this evening (I'm on your server as well) Would love to see first had how the build runs if you're looking for another thief to roam with. Let me know!

I got caught up in running Fractals with some guildies and didn't get to test the build out as much as I had planned. Always nice to find a fellow TC roamer though! I will PM you my account name in case you are ever out in the battlefield and looking for some backup.

View PostFaded913, on 17 November 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

u got no mobility except for shortbow, no swiftness, you gotta blow 9 ini to get 1 stealth off after your steal stealth and all the other stealth skills are defensive meaning if youre anywhere near another hit of any kind you'll probably go down, even in stealth.

With that said i think if you're a good player you can pull it off and it'd be interesting to see if it works because i find D/P kinda clunky. Shadow shot (the biggest non HS damager) misses alot and black powder seems like it a 1/2 sec to 1sec cast time.

From what I did test, I am going to have to agree with Faded913. D/P is still a bit clunky for me, but I think I just need to run it more. I spent a lot of time chasing with Shadow Shot / Auto-Attack, and Backstabbing after a defensive measure.

If the opponent is willing to go toe-to-toe, then I would drop a Blinding Powder and Auto-Attack until they realize the blindness is winning -> Heartseeker out of the Smoke right before it expires and Backstab as they retreat.

The weapon set makes it easy to ruin your Initiative; you shouldn't be spamming any of your moves, but every skill is good for the right occasion.

The build itself is indeed missing some speed/cripple.

View PostMursie, on 17 November 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

i posted about master of deception in another thread.  the reduced cooldowns are ridic and I did just as you except 10 points in DA instead of trickery (purchased mug which is a great add to your dmg and gives you a poision on your opponent).  I still like baslik venom because of its short cooldown... and this build gives you good use of it... first, use stealth and backstab on its own to dmg...  then load up BV and fire a shadowshot to warp to and petrify your target allowing another good combo to hit.

I took stealth healing regen instead of 2 points to go into stealth on BP&HS.  I love this build.  your stealths are 3 seconds on steal, 4 seconds on BP, 11 seconds on refuge... 4 seconds on hide in shadows...do the math... and the reduced cooldowns you have...and its very feasible to always have a stealth option at hand for you.  Add to that the healing you get while in stealth and it is super nice.

my only complaint is as posted above... i hate losing access to swiftness and speed buff.... but the trade off so far has been pretty solid in wvw.

Good thread, I will have to try out Basilisk Venom > Shadow Shot. I also like your trait choices. I think I will make the swap back to Mug.

Quick Edit: I will have to test again, but I am pretty sure the Infusion of Shadow (2 Int on Stealth) works with Blinding Powder / Shadow Refuge as well.

Thanks.

Edited by improvedai, 19 November 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#6 Gaaroth

Gaaroth

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

View Postimprovedai, on 19 November 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

Quick Edit: I will have to test again, but I am pretty sure the Infusion of Shadow (2 Int on Stealth) works with Blinding Powder / Shadow Refuge as well.

it works indeed ;)

#7 LilEci

LilEci

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Heya!

I've been playing around with D/P focusing on stealth aswell, although mine looks quite a bit different. I'm rather new to thief, so I figured that I won't go glasscannon, but instead trying something more forgiving. Here's the build I've been working on:

http://gw2skills.net...GbNuak1ssYQwECA

It has emphasis alot more on the survival, but still focusing on backstabbing/stealth. I made this mainly for WvWvW. Any suggestions about it? Should I just grow a pair and try something a bit more bursty, as the fights can get quite long sometimes. On the plus side, if I'm not able to score a kill, I can definetly run away even from more than one chasing me.

#8 improvedai

improvedai

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostLilEci, on 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Heya!

I've been playing around with D/P focusing on stealth aswell, although mine looks quite a bit different. I'm rather new to thief, so I figured that I won't go glasscannon, but instead trying something more forgiving. Here's the build I've been working on:

http://gw2skills.net...GbNuak1ssYQwECA

It has emphasis alot more on the survival, but still focusing on backstabbing/stealth. I made this mainly for WvWvW. Any suggestions about it? Should I just grow a pair and try something a bit more bursty, as the fights can get quite long sometimes. On the plus side, if I'm not able to score a kill, I can definetly run away even from more than one chasing me.

There is nothing wrong with drawing out a fight defensively if you have traits like Assassin's Rewards and Shadow's Rejuvenation. Pairing Knight's (toughness) gear with self-sustaining heals is a great way to extend your thief's life.

I do recommend slowly adding as much Berserker gear as you can get away with, as long as fights are still going in your favor; WvW especially.

My favorite trait is Executioner (+20% damage on foes below 50% health) in the Critical Strikes line, but taking that means you lose your dodging traits in Acrobatics. Whatever works with your playstyle though. If you want more damage, but really enjoy your build - just swap in more offensive gear.

I can't really tell your stats from the link you provided, but I like your build. I would say try Blinding Powder if you haven't already, as the newly reduced cooldown is nice.

I've never tested with Assassin's Rewards myself, but if you can instead make room for Mug in the Shadow Arts line, that would increase your burst potential as well.

Edited by improvedai, 20 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users