70 replies to this topic

#31 Judge

Judge

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostIllein, on 18 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

I am not sure if it's bannable offence or not, so use this at your own discretion:

You can do the event once PER CHARACTER. So if you wanna log onto a twink and go to an overflow server which hasn't completed it yet - it works.
Can't even log in.

#32 Swift Red

Swift Red

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TotA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Of course I stick around for a long time in the lag and no one would rez me near the end so I waypoint just to get an infinite loading screen. Thus making me miss the end chest. :(

#33 DidYouSeeThat

DidYouSeeThat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostIllein, on 18 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

I am not sure if it's bannable offence or not, so use this at your own discretion:

You can do the event once PER CHARACTER. So if you wanna log onto a twink and go to an overflow server which hasn't completed it yet - it works.

I have relogged 50 times every channel I get in the event is over its been close to 3 hours since it started at this point I dont think any server of any channel has not finished the event.

#34 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostDidYouSeeThat, on 18 November 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

I have relogged 50 times every channel I get in the event is over its been close to 3 hours since it started at this point I dont think any server of any channel has not finished the event.

We had about 100 people online in the guild and just asked through, about 3 people still had overflows at the 2nd reinforcement event, which we used. Of course, chances are getting slimmer now that there is one yet to finish. True enough.

#35 soxx

soxx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

At least two overflows are still going - two guildmates on different overflows are still doing the event.

#36 Atticus

Atticus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Phase 3 yea... had something unavoidable to do today, got home at 2:15 PST and logged on thinking this event would run for the last day of this event, checked out the mail telling me to go check out the epic finale of this event, got over there and found out this ran one time and one time only, looked in my mail again and saw a big middle finger signed "compliments of ArenaNet", so its safe to say this has been a bit of a disappointment.

#37 Judge

Judge

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

View PostAtticus, on 18 November 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Phase 3 yea... had something unavoidable to do today, got home at 2:15 PST and logged on thinking this event would run for the last day of this event, checked out the mail telling me to go check out the epic finale of this event, got over there and found out this ran one time and one time only, looked in my mail again and saw a big middle finger signed "compliments of ArenaNet", so its safe to say this has been a bit of a disappointment.
This was announced ever since the first event announcement. Something like: This once-in-a-lifetime event takes place only on November 18—don’t miss it.

Edited by Judge, 18 November 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#38 Xodiak

Xodiak

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LaZy]

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostDidYouSeeThat, on 18 November 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

No need to cater to any player specifically learn to have an event that happens more than ONE time during a day. They have dynamic events all dam day in every zone why can't they make this event happen  2-4 times a day to cover all time zones for people and just make people that have looted the chest unable to loot it again just as the champion candy corn chest was during halloween.

Naw thats just too simple lets * a bunch of our customers and just give free exotics to the people who happen to be allowed to attend the event. Those hard working people that can't attend our event can chalk it up to sucks to be you.

I think the idea was that this was a big one time thing, not a dynamic repeatable event. In fact, days ago when we all first learned of this event, I know I assumed it was going to be a one time game changer. I don't leave things like this up for speculation.. I don't want to get on the short end of the stick and get all ragey and whiny.. because I know how much of a jerk I look like then :(
--edit---ahh yes, here's the quote; "A one-time in-game event that will forever leave its mark on the world of Tyria, starting Friday, November 16 and ending Monday, November 19."

Like the majority of the workforce, I work M-F, normal hours.. so I was going to be around anyhow. The one buddy of mine that works odd hours (Air Traffic Controller) learned about this event a few days ago and took time off for it. Seeing as how it took about 2 hours or so? ..the loot definitely wasn't free.. there was time invested.

So happy i had zero issues on my server .. I saw a post on another site where some kid was crying like a 3rd grade girl because he got disconnected.. I'm going to bet he threw something at his monitor and stuffed his fat face to help with the pain.

Edited by Xodiak, 18 November 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#39 Dom

Dom

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have been reading threads on this forum about this weekend event and, by the sounds of everything, I'm glad I didn't even bother with it. Maybe Wintersday will give me a reason to log in.

#40 Atticus

Atticus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostJudge, on 18 November 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

This was announced ever since the first event announcement. Something like: This once-in-a-lifetime event takes place only on November 18—don’t miss it.

And again I would have guessed that this meant it would repeat for the last day of this event so people like myself who couldn't get on at an exact moment could be a part of this.

Regardless I ask why did they plan for this to only run that one time and one time only, what would have been so terrible about toning down the loot and having it repeat every couple hours like a world boss for the last day so everyone could enjoy this.

#41 baels

baels

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2185 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MERC]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostAtticus, on 18 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

And again I would have guessed that this meant it would repeat for the last day of this event so people like myself who couldn't get on at an exact moment could be a part of this.

Regardless I ask why did they plan for this to only run that one time and one time only, what would have been so terrible about toning down the loot and having it repeat every couple hours like a world boss for the last day so everyone could enjoy this.

Agreed. Considering the event has basically destroyed the price of precursors, and handed people exotics and 20slot boxes worth 10g ea for free. Why couldn't they have just run the event even 3 times, or twice... in major prime times for various countries. Considering they have Sea of Sorrows, a largely 'oceanic' based server... lets make a -ONE IN A LIFETIME, DO NOT MISS EVENT- 5am, and 7am respectively for oceanic players.... ON A MONDAY MORNING.

*slow clap*

Edited by baels, 19 November 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#42 Encoded

Encoded

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DTG]

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Aside from all the lag and DC's happening on other server. The event on the Dragonbrand server never got past the Demolition part,it glitched up half way through and everyone was stuck wondering what to do. I suppose I should have expected this as the events in Phase 1-2 also glitched.

Edited by Encoded, 19 November 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#43 Xodiak

Xodiak

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LaZy]

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostAtticus, on 18 November 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

To me, if you want to make an event important, make it matter.. make the result mean something, it should happen once. If some event happens too often, it waters the importance of it down.

#44 Ikelepte

Ikelepte

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Starting by Squad protection quests, after so many death, got disconnect inside the Hive when the team where all the way up. Relogged into another Overflow server where the Squad wasn’t at the same point : and bam, in the middle of the enemy hive with absolutely no one around.
And it gets better, finally got to be able to cast spells with a 5 second delay (woot!), we manage to kill the reinforcement at 90% bar. Got disconnected again. Relog. Guess what, in an Overflow at 50% only. Massive lag again, no spell casting and huge freeze (i had a magazine to read hopefully for these times).
And all of that, for nothing.No chest. Not even enjoyment.

#45 VanderBeltLegacy

VanderBeltLegacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DEAD]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

now i Defended Lost Shores, i have always defended Anet, but if they dont repeat final event, im following my dad and jus getting a 100% refund...thanks for the big "F**K YOU" finger A-Net,
as a gw1 veteran to a 3 day head start player, who has bought MANY in game items from bith in game stores(gw1/2) in the name of helping keep you guys funded, i just feel insulted, there was not more warning Phaze 3 would be a ONCE in the ENTIRE day event and feel even more insulted when it started(12pm Server time) my game crashed right then and then crashed continuously or  "failed to establish a connection/connection errors, retrying/check your firewall", then to get on and have alot bragging, but alot more complaining they had same experience as I..then to get on the forims and see ANET avoiding answering the Question, but happy "responding to missing thread post" just tell's me, i should not bother with this game or company anymore. i have already let my guild know im on the fence. and since the ban happy mods of the gw2 forums like to keep me banned, i have to let them know through guru.

#46 Atticus

Atticus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostXodiak, on 19 November 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

To me, if you want to make an event important, make it matter.. make the result mean something, it should happen once. If some event happens too often, it waters the importance of it down.

Not to be a jerk but... it only waters down the importance of this event if you think it does, if you want to just ignore the 2nd or 3rd run of the event and go about your life I assure you nothing will change. However for others it gives them a chance to experience the same awesomeness as you and don't you think that's a little more important than you believing you're a special and unique flower because you completed an event?

#47 VanderBeltLegacy

VanderBeltLegacy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DEAD]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

well sonce their only COMPENSATING players who got D/C'ed at the chest itself,,, not the ones who got booted from game and couldn't relog for a few hours its safe to say, we just got face f**k'd by anet

#48 caballo_oscuro

caballo_oscuro

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Positives and negatives to this weekend...

It's clear the setup of the game is broken. Alot of the issues in BWE have been fixed but the game is not able to cope well with huge numbers in small spaces like this event has brought on, 3 days running, bugged events, massive disconnections, failure to remember who is on what overflow shard or at what stage of an event.

Alot of these issues can be individual but some aspect of the game is not geared for this kind of crowding. They need to be able to shard the servers even further during events like this, much like in GW1. I'm sure they have a fantastic infrastructure but it isn't configured to handle the events that it is being asked to cater to.

On the event itself, 3 nights of pretty sub-par gaming with poor performance and unenjoyable zerg whack-a-mole... and the second event didn't even run on the zone i was in.

On the positive side though the new zone is pretty cool, really nicely done, very challenging although it was so frustrazting moving from the waypoint back to the crowd through relentless enemies. It wasn't too hard but very trying when you're trying to keep up

The new dungeon seems to be going down a treat with a large chunk of the populace and the chance at some epic loot was a really nice way to finish for those of us who could play. Although I didn't get a precursor I did get some nice things I was way off getting close to.

Edited by caballo_oscuro, 19 November 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#49 MisterSin

MisterSin

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ICoa]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

My problem with it was that it took sooooo long
It started at 3 EST and I had something to do at 5
I though its going to take 1 hour tops
So hour and 30 mins later I had to quit...
All effort for nothing

#50 Crossbow1701

Crossbow1701

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

I didn't even get to do the third part of this event.  Was at work, but reading all the other comments, I'm, sort of glad I missded it even if i had a chance to get a precursor.

#51 Voison

Voison

Team Legacy

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 560 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[TL]
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

I missed the 3rd phase after spending hours doing the other phases...

Sigh... Arenanet, these one-time events are unfair to people who have to work/school/other events.

Edited by Voison, 19 November 2012 - 04:22 AM.

[TL] Voison ~ 내 원수,에 대한 경례
Voison ~ Asura ~ 80 ~ Warrior ~
picture

#52 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

I love how people apparently shout about it being a one-time non-repeatable event now.
This has been known for WEEKS.

They have been EXTREMELY CLEAR that it would not repeat it, and that it would be a ONE-TIME event chain.

#53 Crossbow1701

Crossbow1701

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostLordkrall, on 19 November 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

I love how people apparently shout about it being a one-time non-repeatable event now.

They have been EXTREMELY CLEAR that it would not repeat it, and that it would be a ONE-TIME event chain.

Ok, and what about the bull shit lag that pretty much no one could do anything about?

#54 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

View PostCrossbow1701, on 19 November 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

Ok, and what about the bull shit lag that pretty much no one could do anything about?

I was online the whole event (on an overflow server even) with little to no lag at all time.
Same with most others on the server. There were a few that whined about lag but several people responded with having no lag at all.

Which shows that the problem lies with peoples own connections and/or computers than it does with the servers.

#55 youknowho

youknowho

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

So I was able to do the whole event but only just so, and had mixed feelings about the experience after it was done. Anet has been very clear about this being a one time event so the misunderstanding there surprises me. The reason I have such mixed feelings about the event is what they didn't communicate about it: that this was going to be a 2.5 hr commitment that you had to see through to the end for any reward. We had no past experience with these events so no one could know how long it would take. I thought 1 hr tops. Then we hit the 2 hr mark and I started to wonder just how long it was going to go. I had rl commitments that I was late to because I realized I'd have to finish the event to get any payoff at all.

The technical issues that others experienced do suck and I feel for these people. In addition to that though, the design of the event was extremely punishing. In the final stage of the event we were fighting the Ancient Karka towards the top of the spiral when it knocked me and several other players into the middle of the spiral, falling to the bottom (and our deaths). In the time it took me to map to a waypoint and pick my way back through all the karka on the way to the spiral the group had moved down to the lava area, but I had no way of knowing this. I started back up the spiral since I thought everyone was still up there and was greeted with waves of baby karka that eventually overran me. Why? Why was that put into the event? To tell you to not go up the spiral? But that was the last place I saw the group... Some communication about the changed ancient karka position like a notification "Finish the ancient karka in the bottom of its den!", etc would've helped (and not killed me). I was dead on the spiral when the final animation played and I knew they'd defeated the ancient karka down below. I only was able to complete the event because I asked in map chat for a res and a nice player ran halfway up the spiral to get me. I got to the chest and 2 minutes later it disappeared. Way too quickly. I felt really badly for anyone that wasn't able to get to that chest before it disappeared so quickly.

I got some good loot. I also know if I'd been on the losing end of this event and put in 2+ hours with nothing to show for it I'd be PISSED.This event walked a very fine line between rewarding and alienating players.

#56 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

They did say that it was an event-chain going on for "multiple hours" though. And I for one would say it went on much shorten than I would have thought.

#57 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

"The Good":
  • For me personally, it hasn't lagged at all since the first day they've launched the event, smooth as butter. That said, apparently others weren't so blessed so that needs to be worked on, if it's anything they have any say in.
  • You can't but admire the effort they put in for something as simple as a monthly event, for that - it has been absolutely outstanding in terms of what I have known from other games, just not used to something like that to be frank.
  • The Final Event was fun for the most part - will go into detail later. The loosened rocks, the geysers, the gas explosions, the tree - those were all things that are rather light-hearted fun. I definitely enjoyed those.
  • Obviously the loot was top-notch, it made me realize why I stuck through World of Warcraft for so very long, because at the end of the day - pulling something out of a chest that isn't utter garbage, does actually feel real good (Note: Only got 76-80 exotics, but even those were worth a good 7 g - that's awesome loot in my book). Which also makes it clear to me, that I would definitely be even more into dungeons, if there was AT LEAST 1 guaranteed rare item at the end of one. It'd be a miniscule change, but if you know that you're at least getting a bit of extra silver or an ecto or two from each dungeon you do - it'd just feel less insignificant and grindy.

The Bad:
  • Obviously some people's lag - especially the first event on Friday was supposedly a nightmare, people crashing and getting stuck all the time.
  • It's been KARKA and only KARKA. I wish there would have been a bit more of variety, but with all the effort they put into this event, that point is probably not really a fair complaint, admittedly.
  • There weren't really any FUN mechanics, which seems a tendency for most dynamic events of that scale - that mostly it's just killing stuff, hitting stuff, collecting stuff, escorting stuff. Then again, those are the only 4 mechanics we really got for events - not sure what they could do to make it more engaging.

"The Ugly":
  • THAT SECOND REINFORCEMENT WAVE! WHYYYYYY?! I understand that they have dragged the whole thing out for people to chime in over the span of 2-3 hours and NOT miss out on it entirely or the shinies at the end, but over the whole span of this event, you kinda had the feeling it all could have been trimmed to 1 hour and it would have been great. Of course one could argue that one needn't be there, start to finish - but with those kinda things I usually feel obligated to partake thoroughly :D

All in all, I'd give it a 7/10 :-) The November 15th Update as a whole...probably a 8/10 because right now, I am enjoying the hell out of those LVL 10+ Fractals - fun, challenging and I hope it gets a lot better still ;)

#58 millupas

millupas

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostVoison, on 19 November 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

I missed the 3rd phase after spending hours doing the other phases...

Sigh... Arenanet, these one-time events are unfair to people who have to work/school/other events.
+1000.

I play in Desolation and I logged out at 23:00 (CET), already midnight (00:00) in Eastern Europe where I live and I work, waiting for the the third phase to start . Unfortunately nothing happened. Does anyone know what time the event started?

View PostLordkrall, on 19 November 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn what you love and what not...

It has been ALSO known for WEEKS and they have been ALSO EXTREMELY CLEAR that the event would have been started at 21:00 pm (CET)...

#59 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

View Postmillupas, on 19 November 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

+1000.

I play in Desolation and I logged out at 23:00 (CET), already midnight (00:00) in Eastern Europe where I live and I work, waiting for the the third phase to start . Unfortunately nothing happened. Does anyone know what time the event started?

Frankly my dear I don't give a damn what you love and what not...

It has been ALSO known for WEEKS and they have been ALSO EXTREMELY CLEAR that the event would have been started at 21:00 pm (CET)...

From what I gathered, it has started at 9 PM (21.oo) CET sharp. On our home server and on the 20 overflow servers of the Southshore Cove it's been rolling in right on time. If you came at 11 PM as you said - you might have already missed the first slew of overflows who were rather speedy, but there have been plenty going on until 12.oo AM CET.

#60 Coren

Coren

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[DRK]

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Didn't participate, simply because I need to sleep then go to work. I don't mind at all because the only good thing was the fractals, which are super fun. The improved loot from dungeons are amazing, one CoF run and one AC run, and I bag in around 4 rares and 2 exotics worth 5-6 gold each.. Plus finished equipping my mesmer with exotics.

If ANet can cater to everyone's wishes, GW2 needs to be instanced. GW1 never had problems like this because you could do those events when ever you wanted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arenanet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users