Oblivinatti

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DoF]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Dear fellow Guild Wars 2 players.

If you are having performance issues such as low frame rates due to GPU load usage randomly dropping, or CPU load usage randomly dropping, I might have a fix that can work for you. I have spent countless hours researching different problems, but couldn't find an answer specific to my case. I have seen many other people with this same problem, so hopefully I can help out.
If you have a newer computer such as i7, I'm pretty sure this will work for you. It is completely harmless (but you might lose your battery life faster if you aren't plugged in)

1. Enter your BIOS screen. (On my laptop is was F11  while my computer was starting up)

2. Locate the option called speedstep. (For me it was an arrow key right, and under that column, sorry I forgot the name)

3. Disable it

4. This should tremendously improve your FPS.

5. After that, I started using this program called throttlestop to increase performance even more. It may not be necessary but it helped me a lot.  (Be very careful with this program and make sure you read the instructions!)

All in all, I hope I can help everybody having performance issues in Guild Wars 2. If it worked for you spread the word. :)

#2 Ezendor

Ezendor

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SYN]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Speedstep only drops your CPU frequency if it's not fully using whatever frequency it's currently at.  Most people complaining are WvW players, and all GW2 does is stress the CPU like nobodies business for sub-optimal performance.  My Speedstep is turned off in my OC profile from BIOS.

#3 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Given that even my laptops are running at full turbo clocks with speedstep enabled, this would do nothing for me. Anyways, i get good performance outside of zergs which is the area where can can pretty much do nothing about.

#4 Oblivinatti

Oblivinatti

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

It helped me a bit, so I thought it might help some other people :/

#5 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3178 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostOblivinatti, on 20 November 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

It helped me a bit, so I thought it might help some other people :/

It's not a bad idea to suggest it, but i've rarely seen speedstep have an effect.

#6 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

It seems like this is more likely to fix issues with people with overheating laptop CPU's, as the turbo is applied whenever it is thermally viable. It may be worth investigating your CPU temperatures Oblivinatti :)

Edited by The Comfy Chair, 21 November 2012 - 12:34 PM.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#7 Oblivinatti

Oblivinatti

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I mean I just purchased this MSI GT70, so it shouldn't have any overheating issues. I'll open it up and check the fans and stuff to be safe, coz it gets quite dusty here. CPU-Z tell me I'm doing alright.. but we will see.
Even though it helped I still get areas where my GPU load will drop  to like 30% for no reason.

Edited by Oblivinatti, 21 November 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#8 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3178 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Comfy is right about a laptop, sometimes, if the turbo kicks in and the CPU gets too hot it could throttle down to low clocks to err on the side of caution. If you've had the laptop for a month or more, it's enough for a lot of dust to get in there under some circumstances.

Drops like that in GPU usage do happen, i've rarely seen a game stress the GPU at a steady 100%, it could sometimes be close, but i've always seen drops in usage here and there.

Nice laptop by the way, i don't like the looks of it, but when it comes to bang for the buck, it's hard to beat. Your likely pack more power overall than my Precision M6700, but i'd still get the M6700 any time of the day. :P

#9 Angelus359

Angelus359

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

This will add about 50w to the idle power of your CPU, minimum... if you leave your computer on all the time, assume atleast 70$ more per year electricity bill if you do this... bleh

I'll just overclock with turbo off :P

#10 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Whoa whoa... no....  Speedstep isn't the issue.  Speedstep is a wonderful technology and should be left on always

Turbo isn't needed depending on your overclock, etc.  

But please, don't give advice like this.  Core Parking in Windows, however, might affect performance.  That should be disabled.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fix, help, performance, issues, low, framerate, gpu, load, cpu, solved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users