#1 Sheriff_Bullock

Sheriff_Bullock

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GotV]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

I swore to myself I'd never buy another "gaming laptop" but here I am looking at laptops with dedicated graphics cards. The difference this time (I'm reassuring myself) is that I'm under no illusions of running GW2 at maximum settings. My desktop is my gaming rig, and it's where I will play GW2 99% of the time. But I'm thinking, hey if I'm spending money on a laptop to do some mobile computing, wouldn't it be swell if for a few bucks more it could play GW2 (reasonably well) as a bonus?

So I'm looking at the Acer Aspire V3-551G-8454 which Newegg has right now for $500. I think the quad core AMD A8-4500M processor and AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics make for pretty nice performance, but the trade-off is crappy display (?), cheap build, and a weird keyboard. I'm wondering if there is a laptop in this price range that someone could recommend as an alternative? Maybe something that is less powerful, tho still capable of running GW2, but has a better display?

Please, suggest away.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834215663

Edit: I wanted to clarify that I realize that Acer is not a "gaming laptop." I don't want to spend upwards of a thousand dollars to get a gaming laptop. I want a budget laptop that can run GW2, not... terribly... if that makes sense. :)

Edited by Sheriff_Bullock, 20 November 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3331 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

It seems that, within that price range you either get an Intel CPU with integrated graphics, or an APU with or without discrete dual-graphics. The APU with discrete graphics will be much better than the Intel for gaming.
I wouldn't want to go any less than that if I wanted to game on it.

Too bad it comes with Windows 8, but has no touch screen.

Edited by Quaker, 20 November 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#3 Sheriff_Bullock

Sheriff_Bullock

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GotV]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostQuaker, on 20 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

It seems that, within that price range you either get an Intel CPU with integrated graphics, or an APU with or without discrete dual-graphics. The APU with discrete graphics will be much better than the Intel for gaming.
I wouldn't want to go any less than that if I wanted to game on it.

Too bad it comes with Windows 8, but has no touch screen.

It looks like if I want a laptop with a better screen and chassis I'd have to go with either Intel graphics (discrete, actually: Intel 4000) or the "G" series of ATI cards. I haven't found any other $500 laptops with the 7670M. So, I have to compromise, which I figured I'd have to do at this price point.

I'm running Windows 8 on my PC, which lacks a touch screen, and I find there's very little reason to use Win 8's new interface. The live tiles are a neat idea, but the app store is a ghost town. So, I'm fine getting a laptop without a touch screen; I'd prefer a higher resolution screen, tho. 1440x900, at least.

Anyway, thanks for the response. If anyone else can recommend a $500 laptop, please do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users