• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1969 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for the feedback.

At the moment I'm running GW2 on a minimum spec laptop with heat issues, a shattered screen and an attached 1024X768 monitor I picked up for $20 at Goodwill.  Obviously, I need to get a new system.

I'm in the US, and looking to get the most bang for my buck in the $750 to $850 range.  In addition to GW2, I use the computer for painting in Photoshop CS4, and fairly simple CAD drafting.  I'm looking to use the same monitor, so I can get a system that doesn't threaten to smoke when I play GW2, then get a better monitor (1280X1024?) when I can save a little more.

Based on reading this forum and elsewhere, I came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/otoE

Plugging similar parts into iBuyPower and Cyberpower I get:

http://www.ibuypower...tel_i5/w/144174,

http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1ELVF6

The IBuyPower machine is only slightly more expensive than the parts list, and the CyberPower one ends up being cheaper than building it myself.

So, list of questions:

1. Is the cost difference due to CyberPower and iBuyPower using inferior parts aside from the CPU and GPU?  Should I be building myself for better, longer lasting parts?  Or is there something unnecessarily pricey in the parts list?

2. The old GPU chart from before launch indicates this build should run GW2 near max settings for the resolutions I mentioned.  Now that people have had three months with the game, does this still hold true?  I'm looking for a little eye candy in open world PvE, don't care if settings need to be turned way down for WvW.

3. Is it worth the hassle of getting Windows based software to run on Linux to save the $100 on an operating system?  $100 could equate to a better GPU, or a better monitor, sooner.

4. I'm not the type to frequently update hardware.  To that end, I've avoided overclocking as I understand it does shorten the life of the hardware, though not significantly enough to bother people who keep up with the tech.  I'm not one of those people, so I thought I'd play it safe.

5. Does this system have room to add down the road?  A sound card, etc.

6. I understand that you only really need cooling beyond the fans that come with the case if you are overclocking.  Is that true?

I'm a total newbie at this, excited and a little terrified at the idea of building my own system.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Kymeric, 20 November 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3331 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

1. I'm too lazy to scroll through pages and pages of configurators to compare them in detail. :)  I did notice that the Cyberpower one uses a crappier power supply - in both cases I would recommend spending the extra $25 for the Corsair CX500.
The price difference could be due to shipping or warranty variations - the parts seem to be pretty much the same. (or CP may be having a better 'sale')

2. If you are going to be playing at such a low rez - 1024x768 or 1280x1024 - then the HD7770 will be able to max everything easily. But I mean - ew!
The good thing is the HD7770 should max at 1366x768 and do near-max at 1920x1080, so no worries about getting a 'real' monitor in the future. ;).

3. No, it is not worth the hassle to get Linux instead of Windows. Get Windows 7 64-bit.

4. Overclocking is not all that wonderful anyway. If you are not going to overclock, you could save a few dollars by going with an i5-3450 or 3470, which performs only a few fps less than the 3570, and certainly won't matter at 1280x1024.

5. Yes, it has room to "add" later, especially if you get the CX500 power supply. Sound cards aren't used much these days, but you might entertain the possibility of getting another HD7770 later for Crossfire mode (if the motherboard supports it).

6. Basically yes. The stock Intel cooler (and the stock case fans) are good enough if you don't overclock. You might consider getting a CPU cooler such as the CM Hyper TX3 at some point (neither build has the option) because they run quieter and cooler than the stock Intel, but it's not "necessary".

Edited by Quaker, 20 November 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#3 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1969 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thanks!

I haven't really shopped monitors yet, but I'm kinda tucked in a corner of my house with the computer, and play pretty close to it, so I wasn't thinking very large.  And 1280X1024 is going to be revoutionary compared to what I'm using now. :D  Maybe I'll look into something better when I get to that point.

I had expected that the price savings on building would be a little more than $50, so now I'm stuck on deciding whether I want the shortcut of buying it built, or should I force myself to build it for the experience and thank myself later....

All these prices are for "pre-Black Friday sales".  I wonder if the actual Black Friday sales will be much different.

Thanks again.

#4 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostKymeric, on 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Thanks!

I haven't really shopped monitors yet, but I'm kinda tucked in a corner of my house with the computer, and play pretty close to it, so I wasn't thinking very large.  And 1280X1024 is going to be revoutionary compared to what I'm using now. :D  Maybe I'll look into something better when I get to that point.

I had expected that the price savings on building would be a little more than $50, so now I'm stuck on deciding whether I want the shortcut of buying it built, or should I force myself to build it for the experience and thank myself later....

All these prices are for "pre-Black Friday sales".  I wonder if the actual Black Friday sales will be much different.

Thanks again.

You are your cutting yourself short of a good PC over a $100 or so and will wish you did not in the near future. (this game is CPU bound but most games are not their GPU) Be sure to upgrade the memory to whatever they offer outher than the major brand on the Ibuypower build  this is perty much the cheapest *^%# they can get made for them) Run far away from their very very cheap power supplies. Get a name brand same thing for the cyberpower build (if you look at it the cyberpower build says your under the recomended PSU watts already so get the Corsair 500 their) Also be ready the throw the gaming mouse and keyboard away I think you can buy both for $15 total.

Edited by Zerk2012, 21 November 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#5 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1969 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Thanks, Zerk.  I understand what you said about the power supply.  $25 will get both builds up to the Corsair 500w.

I'm not sure what you mean about the $100.  Are you thinking a GPU upgrade would be better in the long run?

I'm also not sure what you mean about the memory.  8G seems to be the general consensus on sufficient RAM.  Or do you mean upgrading from the "or other major brand" to the specified name brand like the Corsair Vengeance?

I already have a mouse I use with the laptop, and I think the keyboard was 0$ cost on the builds, so yeah, I didn't expect anything there.

I appreciate the feedback.

#6 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostKymeric, on 21 November 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

Thanks, Zerk.  I understand what you said about the power supply.  $25 will get both builds up to the Corsair 500w.

I'm not sure what you mean about the $100.  Are you thinking a GPU upgrade would be better in the long run?

I'm also not sure what you mean about the memory.  8G seems to be the general consensus on sufficient RAM.  Or do you mean upgrading from the "or other major brand" to the specified name brand like the Corsair Vengeance?

I already have a mouse I use with the laptop, and I think the keyboard was 0$ cost on the builds, so yeah, I didn't expect anything there.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'm not saying get more memory i'm saying on the Ibuypower build to upgrade  from the (corsair or major brand) to whatever they offer that gets you a name brand instead of major brand.
Go back to the K series processor and take the watercooling with the upgraded push/pull fans for it. You will be glad you did in the future for the overclocking ability.
The Corsair 500 watt is fine maby think about the 600Watt to give you good video card upgrade options in the future also.

#7 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1969 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

I'm not saying get more memory i'm saying on the Ibuypower build to upgrade  from the (corsair or major brand) to whatever they offer that gets you a name brand instead of major brand.
Go back to the K series processor and take the watercooling with the upgraded push/pull fans for it. You will be glad you did in the future for the overclocking ability.
The Corsair 500 watt is fine maby think about the 600Watt to give you good video card upgrade options in the future also.

Ah, okay.  That clears those up.  Thanks.

#8 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3331 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostKymeric, on 20 November 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

I haven't really shopped monitors yet, but I'm kinda tucked in a corner of my house with the computer, and play pretty close to it, so I wasn't thinking very large.  And 1280X1024 is going to be revoutionary compared to what I'm using now. :D
I had assumed that the 1280x1024 monitor was something you already had kicking around. So, it's obvious you haven't shopped for monitors lately. You'll find it nearly impossible to find any 4:3 ratio monitor these days. You'll basically have to get a 16:9 (1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080) or 16:10 (1680x1050, 1920x1200)

#9 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1969 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostQuaker, on 21 November 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

I had assumed that the 1280x1024 monitor was something you already had kicking around. So, it's obvious you haven't shopped for monitors lately. You'll find it nearly impossible to find any 4:3 ratio monitor these days. You'll basically have to get a 16:9 (1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080) or 16:10 (1680x1050, 1920x1200)

Gotcha, thanks.  I tend to run things into the ground, and only move on from a dinosaur when it has started the process of becoming crude.

I just pulled the 1280X1024 out of the lower half of the GPU chart that was kicking around here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users