7 replies to this topic

#1 TheTrueThing

TheTrueThing

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hello!
Im planning on finally equipping my good old Engi with a full 80 exotic set, but that's an great investment that can not be made without a long thought process. Now, I've been out of the Engi loop for a long time and I have no idea what kind of builds work nowtimes, so Im hoping to get some help from you people.
There's been a lot of great topic here on Guru, but people have drastically different opinions, and a couple topics with valuable information may have been buried somewhere, forgive me for making a new topic.
Alright, so my Engi should be primarly WvW focused (tho I'd really like if the build or at least equipment would work some way in dungeons), using Pistol/Shield. In the "Art of the Spanner" by Primalpat (great stuff!) he mentions three interesting builds - Tank, FT Tank and Condition Damage. All three seem interesting (the CD one and tank most I guess), and all have different gear...damn! MrForz posts in the same topic suggesting THIS and, of course, the gear is different. Now I'd love to experiment with it, but I just do not have enough money to afford it.

What I do in WvW is mostly roam solo or with a small group of friends (rarely more than 5), doing commando supply camp stealing, dolyak slapping and picking up fights with others and I'd like the build to fit this "scenario" (1v1, small teamfights). Im thinking Rabid, Carrion, Rampager (tho this does not really fit my "tanky" needs...), or maybe even Soldier's (because I've got a bunch of tokens to get a set on the go :P ) gear, but completly can not decide.

Now, dear fellow Engineers, please help me out!

PS. Im trying to stay as far from Grenades as possible, in no scenario they will appear on my utility bar!

Edited by TheTrueThing, 21 November 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#2 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[Jar]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Haha, well. Ever since the nerf on the gamebreakingly overpowered bleed duration from Explosive Shot (reduced by half), people gave up on using Condition Duration and went into Bleed procs. Most of us gear for Precision/Toughness/ConditionDamage to make the best use of Sharpshooter + Sigil of Earth + Incendiary Powder. You get to be naturally tanky due to this armor + the traits you'll select.

All the builds there have something to share, Tank build and FT Tank build do what they're intended to do, the Condition Damage one focuses on the most efficient use of elixirs as they let you stack Might and Condition removals. Mine is just about gunning, running, and CC spamming. The only thing I'm going to mention is mobility. That's all. It's why I speak so loudly about Slick Shoes and Speedy Kits in WvW. But it's not in the topic.

Carrion is a starter choice if you don't want to fully invest in condition damage and use power based weapons, but Rabid is the most popular choice.

Edited by MrForz, 21 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#3 Killyox

Killyox

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

You can go carrion and eat food with +36-40% cond duration and 30 in explosives, getting your shrapnel grenade to apply 20+ sec bleeds.

Or you can go berserker + crit dmg +power food with pre stacked bloodlust sigil and just rain hell with #1 #2 from wall for ridiculous dmg

#4 Roland Der Meister

Roland Der Meister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Go with rabid armor carrion accessory's/weapons  with runes of the undead that should net you allot of condition dmg and tougness

#5 TheTrueThing

TheTrueThing

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

I thought about it for some time and I really like the idea of going Power/Toughness/Vitality. Now, the condition build obviously will not work with it and the tank spec most likely lacks damage to utilize it in WvW, but...
What do you guys think about bombs in WvW? I've got this silly idea that they might work really well (of course when fighting melee's or CC'd ranged, otherwise anyone can kite me to death). Is rifle necessary for this kind of build (I see how the net would help a lot, and rifle benefits better from power), or shield/pistol can still work? (its mostly a stylish choice - I love the pistol/shield theme and the shield skills are also very cool)

What I've come up with so far is more or less this... http://gw2skills.net...bJ2yulbL5WDImWA
Now, 10 trait points are still missing, because I can not decide where to throw them at. Protection Injection sounds great, but so do Elite Supplies, Energized Armor (more or less +98 power) and Autodefensive Bomb Dispenser (with epic Steel-Packed Powder coming at 25 Explosions).

Toolkit is crazy fun and can synergize with the bombs nicely (cripple, magnet), bombs because bombs, and a stun breaker (was thinking either S or R, went for R in the end)

Because I can not get Soldier's jewelery I'll propably get Knights for Toughness/Power/Precision, but Valkyrie could work fine too (Power/Vitality/Crit DMG)

What do you think? Am I talking out of my ass here and this build has no right to exist, or the direction may be good?

Edited by TheTrueThing, 22 November 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#6 Intoxicated

Intoxicated

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TOAD]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

I too have been planning out an exotic set for wvw and dungeons. I've noticed the problem with bombs and even grenades is the red circle the opponents see. To combat this having more CC is neccesary. This is where net shot and the knockdown from rifle synergize well. Or taking another pistol for glue shot. Also the power wrench trait gives access to more cripple, as well as elixer gun 2.

I really like the stats you've assembled here ,but how do you translate that to a shopping list ingame?

Oh and the rifle #4 acts as a CC breaker too, to me the utility of the rifle is hard to pass up

#7 TheTrueThing

TheTrueThing

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Good question, its difficult to transfer stats from those sPvP skill builders to a PvE/WvW character. Unfortunately noone cared to make a calculator for PvE as far as I know. Soldier's stats are easily achievable on the armour and weapon via dungeon armors, now Vitality would propably have to be swapped for Toughness on jewelery and it would be a Knight's set (Emerald jewelery), adding a bit Precision to the build while still keeping the tanky theme. Going to get 411 Toughness, 325 Precision, 315 Power (numbers are more or less accurate :P) out of them. Its difficult to get good Vitality jewelery in PvE, but Beryl could work here (Power/Vitality/CritDMG)

I did more thinking and I'll just have to give up on the idea of Pistol/Shield, sadly. Tested it out a bit and pistol really scales TERRIBLY with power, while with the Rifle I do sweet damage. My new (and most likely final, at least for now) build will go for Soldier's gear on armour and weapons (Power/Toughness/Vitality) Knight's jewelery (so Toughness/Precision/Power).
The build itself will be something like this http://gw2skills.net...AA1yoEQJhSFlCKA (again, ignore accesories, they can not replicate PvE/WvW stats).

PS. I had this problem, so - for those Condition Engi's who want a Rabit set (uncraftable) and dont like the idea of farming dungeons for tokens - try http://wiki.guildwar...aaw's_Armor . Its dirt cheap on TP and has cool stats. ;)

Edit: Here's a screenshot that can give you the idea more or less how the stats will look like. Im still missing Soldier's legs and didnt decide on runes, but the changes wont be very drastical after adding those.
http://i.imgur.com/bQU8H.jpg

Edited by TheTrueThing, 23 November 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#8 Roland Der Meister

Roland Der Meister

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

Um you can get rabid armor from the temple karma venders you need to get the chest from a dungeon though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users