6 replies to this topic

#1 Little Bird

Little Bird

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hello! My modded Dell Inspiron 545 just isn't handling the "one time"  events, WvW or even going through Asura gates sometimes. Even though Guild Wars 2 is the only game I play, and the most taxing on my system I am ready to try to make something more powerful. I'm here because I am absolutely new to this and thought it was a good place to start.

My friend gave me his old  Antex Skeleton to start.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few months.

Budget Range: $600 - $1000+ (only if necessary)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Guild Wars 2 (on maximum settings), 3D modelling, Photoshop, Movies

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:http://www.newegg.ca/ , http://www.ncix.com/ , http://www.tigerdirect.ca

Overclocking:  No

SLI or Crossfire: No / (maybe for future upgrades? Not sure if it will fit.)

Monitor Resolution: I would like to get a new monitor too. Current resolution is 1440 x 900 but the screen feels small.

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC but no water cooling.

~*~

Please keep in mind the most hardware related things I've done in the past is upgrade my video card and power supply. I am a total noob at this building stuff! Be gentle!

#2 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

CPU: How much and how large of photoshop and 3d modelling do you do?  If its large and alot then an i7 3770K is the CPU you want.  For just gaming the i5 3570K is as good.

Motherboard: You want a decent quality Z77 motherboard (ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI)

RAM: Either 2x4GB or 2x8GB (depends on photoshop/3d modelling needs) 1.5V DDR3-1600 RAM.  Prefer no tall heat spreaders that can interfere with a CPU cooler

PSU: Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Rosewill (Green or HIVE) 520-650W.

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212, Xigmatek SD1289 (Gaia, Balder, Dark Knight2), Zalman CPNS10X Performa  <sub $50 air coolers, unless you plan on heavy overclocking>

GPU: at least an AMD 7850 or Nvidia 570 or 660.

Monitor:  Photoshop and 3d modelling should dictate this choice.  Gaming is not as demanding for quality.  A cheap 23 inch, 1080p, 5ms or 2ms is plenty for gaming.

Now (black friday/cyber monday) and the after XMAS sales are generally the best time for sale prices on many components.  Especially things like monitors, HDDs, optical drives (DVD or Bluray), webcams.

Edited by dhatcher1, 21 November 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3346 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

As above, but additionally:

PSU: add Enermax to the list.

CPU cooler: Since you don't plan to overclock, I would recommend you get a CM Hyper TX3. The TX3 is smaller and easier to work with than the 212, but is much quieter and more efficient than the stock Intel cooler - and it's inexpensive. Also, it will handle a moderate overclock if you should want to do that at some later time.

P.S. The Inspiron 545 has a more-or-less standard mATX chassis. If you wanted to save some money, and you don't intend to use the 545 for something else, you could simply upgrade it.
You would want to replace the motherboard (mATX), CPU, RAM, power supply, and video card.

I suggest this because the Skeleton, while "interesting" looking, is a bit too "open" and subject to damage from spills and thrills.

Edited by Quaker, 22 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#4 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

This statement with that case will not happen your going the hear the video card ramp up with nothing to dapen the sound.

Edited by Zerk2012, 23 November 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#5 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostQuaker, on 22 November 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

PSU: add Enermax to the list.
Enermax is arguably the best PSU company. I normally dont include Enermax when people have a moderate budget because they have always been more expensive.  Also people can get top notch Enermax and tinder-box like Raidmax confused pretty easily.  But if you find an Enermax on sale for a reasonable price, grab it in preference to any other brand.

Edited by dhatcher1, 23 November 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#6 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3346 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

When you get into the range of 80+ certified units, Enermax is price competitive with other major brands. For example:
http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16817194095

#7 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 23 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

This statement with that case will not happen your going the hear the video card ramp up with nothing to dapen the sound.

To both the OP and you, you can get a GPU with a large aftermarket cooler that will stay relatively silent compared to the reference design cooler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users