Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

View Postdhatcher1, on 22 November 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD  $75, free shipping

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227791
I would never buy or recomend a OCZ product and yes cheap is the word.

#3 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1966 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostZerk2012, on 22 November 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

I would never buy or recomend a OCZ product and yes cheap is the word.

The OCZ drives based on the Sandforce controller have a reputation for unreliability, but the Vertex 4 is based on a derivative of the Indilinx controller if I'm not mistaken. Its got a pretty good reputation and excellent performance as far as I know. And an equally excellent price, evidently.

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

The Vertex 4 uses a Marvell controller and Marvell has proven to be quite reliable so far. The previous gen of Marvell controllers is what was inside the Crucial M4, Intel 510, Plextor M3P and Corsair Performance Pro. The firmware is made by Indilinx and truly makes the V4's controller shine. I don't like OCZ as a company as in not acknowledging the SF issues (they aren't the only guilty party for that though) and overall crappy customer support, but if i had to get one OCZ SSD, it would be the Vertex 4.

Edited by tijo, 22 November 2012 - 02:51 AM.

#5 Green

Green

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

Just a tip for those who like to RAID 0 their SSD's. Use the Intel drivers not the Marvell if you want actual 500 to 1000 MB per/sec read/write speeds (with HDD testing tools). The Marvell drivers don't have close to the performance as the Intel drivers

#6 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostGreen, on 22 November 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

Just a tip for those who like to RAID 0 their SSD's. Use the Intel drivers not the Marvell if you want actual 500 to 1000 MB per/sec read/write speeds (with HDD testing tools). The Marvell drivers don't have close to the performance as the Intel drivers

Just a small precision about this: the Marvell controller i'm talking about is on the SSD and Green is probably talking about placing the SSDs (regardless of what controllers they have on them) on the Intel SATA 6Gbps ports (some boards have extra SATA ports using a Marvell SATA controller, not to confuse with the Marvell SSD controller) and using the IRST RAID drivers which is also what i would recommend.

#7 Green

Green

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Correct, so in doing so, use the latest Intel drivers and Intel BIOS menu to configure your RAID rather than the Marvell drivers and BIOS menu. Thanks for the clarification.

#8 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostGreen, on 24 November 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Correct, so in doing so, use the latest Intel drivers and Intel BIOS menu to configure your RAID rather than the Marvell drivers and BIOS menu. Thanks for the clarification.

That only applies to higher end motherboards where you have a marvell controller though. Anyone using the Marvell SATA III ports instead of the Intel ones would be doing something crazy though (unless that person has more than 2 SATA III devices). In my experience, as far as SATA controllers are concerned, it's Intel > Marvell > JMicron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users