#1 Happiness Factory

Happiness Factory

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RVRY]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Alright so it's kinda late and I was just playin my ranger in some solo queue frees to not f*** with any groups with my ranger. And i was just messin with stuff and boom I got first place 3x in a row while solo queuing. How? because im a CC/Stun/Snare God.

Basically running greatsword/shortbow with traps and the two canines and you can just load people up with the standard trap build. Sure you might lose some condition damage without the torch and maybe some poison from the sword, but thats easy to give up for insane mobility and 2 stuns and a 4s block... like are u kidding me?

And the canines, dude if you claim the pet is buggy you obviously dont know what you're doin and need to start paying attention to what your pet is up to. Sure the pet UI isnt the greatest, but it works... kind of. BASICALLY most of the pets abilities have around a 1s cast time and the melee pets have to be in range of a target, BUT any time you swap to your pet and you're traited into quickness your pet will automatically fire it's f2 ability (if you choose to press it) forwards. Which is AWESOME for canines because it's aoe and pretty much *s anyone close to you got it?

Check it-
Entangle: 120s CD
Spike Trap: 20s CD
Terrifying Howl: 36s CD
Brutal Charge: 40s CD x2
Intimidating Howl: 16s CD
Cuncossion Shot: 25s CD
Hit Bash: 24s CD
Counter Attack: 16s CD + invulnerability

Honestly if you land like maybe 2 of these you will win any fight against a glass cannon, thief, elementalist whatever. Against a bunker it might take a couple cycles but you're a ranger they cant kill you so * em anyway.

If you want to know a ranger's role on a team? Basically the ultimate hybrid between damage and survivability WITH the most utility from stuns and quick stomps/rezzes.

If you want the build here it is, honestly nothing special except moving the greatsword out for the sword/torch and using 2x canines. BUT IT MAKES A HELLUVA DIFFERENCE LET ME TELL YOU.

http://gw2skills.net...UkoI7Xuvkft YEA

ALSO, make note that I use 4x nightmare and 2x lyssa because condition duration is awesome. cool? cool let me know what you think!

#2 Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

The exact same build i use for my ranger skills wise, except i use healing spring because i like the condition removal.  with the ranger's survivability through traits ( i put 10 into nature magic for the regen and 5 sec protection against burst instead of 30 into wilderness) all you really need is that cleansing signet and you can go through a series of games and wonder when the last time you did was lol.  

traps are amazing. used em all the way to 80 and i'm so glad theyre effective for pvp too...with the target traps i feel like an ele slinging fire and stuff around lol.  

i started using wolf yesterday and i like it, but i prefer group buffs with x5 group might from stalker and 16s of AOE fury from the red moa.

basically i just don't understand why everyone says rangers are so bad, to the point where they abandon their toon or boycott gw2.  Rangers played well are great.

edit:
one reason i use axe/torch instead of GS is for when people go down and they have obnoxious downed abilities that require you do DPS em for the most part. thats when throw torch comes in handy, or putting bonfire right over them (also fire trap for anyone coming to res)

edit2: looking at your build, I'd say use the 60% chance to cause bleeding on your SB instead of the duration one. stacks > duration for bleeding(besides you already have duration runes).  Also, and this may just be personal preference, i think the shaman amulet fits rangers better than carrion because it ups our survivability a bunch with 700+ toughness while still giving a lot of condition dmg.  power isn't very important, and at least healing power is somewhat useful)

Edited by Malleus Maleficarum, 22 November 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#3 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Use double spider and immobilize your target for 6 sec while you drop traps, pop Zeph and melt them and poison is up!

#4 Happiness Factory

Happiness Factory

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

@Malleus Maleficarum

I use this build strictly for tPvP i dont PvE very much because that's not what i do lol... but allow me to explain myself in accordance to your responses.

View PostMalleus Maleficarum, on 22 November 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

edit:
one reason i use axe/torch instead of GS is for when people go down and they have obnoxious downed abilities that require you do DPS em for the most part. thats when throw torch comes in handy, or putting bonfire right over them (also fire trap for anyone coming to res)

edit2: looking at your build, I'd say use the 60% chance to cause bleeding on your SB instead of the duration one. stacks > duration for bleeding(besides you already have duration runes).  Also, and this may just be personal preference, i think the shaman amulet fits rangers better than carrion because it ups our survivability a bunch with 700+ toughness while still giving a lot of condition dmg.  power isn't very important, and at least healing power is somewhat useful)

in response to edit#1: To be fair the classes with the strongest downstates elementalist/thief/mesmer all move around after their initial down point which makes the bonfire negligible, and greatsword does a fine job of cleaving down rezzers with traps as well. But you're right there are situations where sword/torch is greater than greatsword.

through lots of testing through duels and tournaments, greatsword is preferable if you can use the block (number 4 ability) reliably. but against mesmers with illusions, thieves with thieves guild up it becomes more of a drawback than a boon because u end up kicking a clone or a thief from thieves guild and stunning yourself while doing it. However against every other class the greatsword becomes a heck of a lot better than the sword/torch imo.

in response to edit#2: Well if you use either carrion or shaman's amulet you will only have 19% chance to crit and if you use earth you have a 60% chance of that 19% chance to lay a half a second bleed on a target... pretty silly imo. I might see that being good with rabids amulet but not with those that u mentioned. Also you're right shaman's amulet provides lots of tankyness and survivability, so i guess that'll be up to your discretion if you feel like you need it. But honestly it's hard enough to break a bunker without losing all that power.

@Jeddahwe, yeah that works too ive just never been a big fan of the spider because i feel like it misses a lot. I like melee pets especially canines because they do a good amount of damage, follow their target and have 2 forms of CC one of them being a large aoe interrupt that works great with the downed state. Unless A-net changed some stuff, I would never give up the wolf for tPvP but I could see myself changing out the drakehound for a spider or something in the future.

#5 Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

In the last month i used the Greatsword quite a bit more (in PvE on my beastmaster) and i can see how the block, stun, and mobility would be cool for PvP.  I personally still would lean towards axe/torch to focus on offense since the traits i use and my stats account for the defense and survivability, but to each his own!

helps a lot that they made GS 4 mobile, eh? it wasn't all that much use before

#6 Trei

Trei

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2909 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Okay....

But where's the picture of this kitten I'm suppose to check out?

#7 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'd really want to test my ele vs you, or even a thief... it might be a good build vs newbs or someone who didn't learn their class mechanics yet, but I always go for rangers first because they die so fast no matter what profession.
You can have so many cc and stuff but you lack survivability skills that other profession have. Yes you can immobilize me, but I have teleportation skills to avoid your spike attack, Mist Form to go Invulnerable, Shock Aura to daze you, Frost Aura to chill you, free KD, and a fast teleportation out. Not to mention if I traited right I could just remove 2 condi with ease ^^

Still good job for trying

#8 jeddahwe

jeddahwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostNabuko Darayon, on 14 December 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

I'd really want to test my ele vs you, or even a thief... it might be a good build vs newbs or someone who didn't learn their class mechanics yet, but I always go for rangers first because they die so fast no matter what profession.
You can have so many cc and stuff but you lack survivability skills that other profession have. Yes you can immobilize me, but I have teleportation skills to avoid your spike attack, Mist Form to go Invulnerable, Shock Aura to daze you, Frost Aura to chill you, free KD, and a fast teleportation out. Not to mention if I traited right I could just remove 2 condi with ease ^^

Still good job for trying

Take a look at this build:

http://intothemists....8S;1jwmAjwmA9cQ

Note:  I may be using x2 Spider but others will use a Canine+Wolf or go all out Vigor and get Moa and have endless Vigor.

#9 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

View Postjeddahwe, on 14 December 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Take a look at this build:

http://intothemists....8S;1jwmAjwmA9cQ

Note:  I may be using x2 Spider but others will use a Canine+Wolf or go all out Vigor and get Moa and have endless Vigor.

Yeah I've seen both builds. Only way you could kill us to keep us for a minute at long range and don't let us come towards you, since you can't dodge all the way. I trust that few skilled rangers could pull of killing a good ele/thief but you guys are forgeting about our survivability which is a lot higher then people give us credit and not all go glass cannons and just spam 1. At least I don't, And funny thing I ain't scared to jump onto 2 people trying to cap because I know if I see I'll die I just retreat. I'd really wish there was 1vs1 duels so we could test out our skills. :D

#10 Happiness Factory

Happiness Factory

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'm more than Happy to duel, feel free to add me. Also, to help you take this build seriously, it's what I run in paids when I play my ranger. There are some ranger builds that are specifically designed for 1v1 through infinite sustain and little damage. But I figure rangers ability to 1v1 is strong enough that I don't have to use healing as a crutch and actually participate in large teamfights with good aoe with traps. But to each his own.

Again pm me when I'm online and I'll be ready to duel. My ign is happinessfactory lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users