• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

All right, so there are THREE ingredients to Ascended Items crafted via the Mystic Forge as far as we know:

T6 for pretty much everything, they already had their push and probably will get more expensive still. Not much money to be made here though, as they are rather high up there to begin with.

But has anyone of you checked out KARKA Shells and Mystic coins yet?! Especially the Karka shells are dirt cheap (2s/piece) and you need 250 for a good Infusion (+5 Agony Resistence + stats) which can ONLY be crafted - so I predict those will go up in a week or two to insane amounts.

Make sure to stuff your pockets before that time ;)

Same applies to Mystic Coins, they have been falling recently - but are on a steady rise again, though - as you only need 20 per Infusion, the profit margin may not be anything close to the Karka shells.

Anyway, thought I'd share!

Source: http://www.reddit.co..._make_them_and/

Edited by Illein, 22 November 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#2 Pysgasm

Pysgasm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KnT]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Prices seem pretty stable for a T5 mat that in all reality is pretty common... With the ascended prices being what they are I don't see a constant need for karka shells.

#3 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Have gotten ~15 out of the 3 hours event on the weekend with a gazillion of mobs killed, so I am not sure how good their drop rate is - anyone farmed them yet? For my conclusion it was rather shitty.

Edited by Illein, 22 November 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#4 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostIllein, on 22 November 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Have gotten ~15 out of the 3 hours event on the weekend with a gazillion of mobs killed, so I am not sure how good their drop rate is - anyone farmed them yet? For my conclusion it was rather shitty.

just farming the 200 for the monthly bonus on that first beach when you go to the zone, I think I got like 15 or so, but then again I couldn't do any of the events because my game crashed during literally all of them.

#5 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

View Postmatsif, on 22 November 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

just farming the 200 for the monthly bonus on that first beach when you go to the zone, I think I got like 15 or so, but then again I couldn't do any of the events because my game crashed during literally all of them.

Would be interesting to know how long it took you. For reference' sake. :) Had ~170 when I wanted to get my 10 jugs of karma to be finished with the Obsidian Shards, getting those last 30 Karkas wasn't exactly a ~5 minute affair outside the event. Could be I looked in the wrong placed though.

#6 Paken Kai

Paken Kai

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostIllein, on 22 November 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Would be interesting to know how long it took you. For reference' sake. :) Had ~170 when I wanted to get my 10 jugs of karma to be finished with the Obsidian Shards, getting those last 30 Karkas wasn't exactly a ~5 minute affair outside the event. Could be I looked in the wrong placed though.

I had to get about 50 kills by the end of everything, if you go to the SouthSun Sholes between the two landing areas, there are plenty of young karka that don't take very long to kill and respawn at a rate that you can go in circles with virtually no downtime between fights.

I think it took me about 20 minutes to get my last kills there.

#7 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostPaken Kai, on 22 November 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

I had to get about 50 kills by the end of everything, if you go to the SouthSun Sholes between the two landing areas, there are plenty of young karka that don't take very long to kill and respawn at a rate that you can go in circles with virtually no downtime between fights.

I think it took me about 20 minutes to get my last kills there.

If you could share now how many Shells you got in that time as well - it'd be a lot more valuable information ;)

#8 JunoGuts

JunoGuts

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Get out of the beach, go inland and find the big karkas that spawn hatchlings like 15 or more at a time, respawns quite fast and you can kill 200 karkas in less than 5 minutes. Just dont expect to get many drops!

#9 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I got 25 from the events before my game crashed, so to go kill 175 of those young karkas between the top 2 WPs on the shoals it took me well over an hour or so of blindly running in circles (with a group of other people doing the same thing mind you) just killing every one we came across, but I wasn't really paying attention to the time so I can't give even a reasonable estimate other than over an hour.

All I know is DR codes kicked in and my drops got less and less at ~130 kills and were non-existent by ~180.

Edited by matsif, 22 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#10 Paken Kai

Paken Kai

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostIllein, on 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

If you could share now how many Shells you got in that time as well - it'd be a lot more valuable information ;)

Yeah, I just reread what I posted and noticed that I left out the important part.

I think I got 7-10 in that time-frame. But I was running with my magic-find build so results may vary.

#11 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Postmatsif, on 22 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

I got 25 from the events before my game crashed, so to go kill 175 of those young karkas between the top 2 WPs on the shoals it took me well over an hour or so of blindly running in circles (with a group of other people doing the same thing mind you) just killing every one we came across, but I wasn't really paying attention to the time so I can't give even a reasonable estimate other than over an hour.

All I know is DR codes kicked in and my drops got less and less at ~130 kills and were non-existent by ~180.

Thanks, that was somewhat helpful. ~15 Shells/1.5 (?) hours - that's 10 per hour, I doubt many people will want to farm 25 hours to get those once they've gotten their Fractal Relics toghether (You can craft the same Ascended BACK-Items for 1850 Relics, A vial of of condensed essence and 40 crystals/Philosopher Stones), which should be the case for at least ~50% of the people running those dungeons - within the next two weeks.

So yeah, there won't be a whole lot of people who will rather shell out 20-70g for the T6 mats-route of the Back-piece, if you can just farm 1850 Relics for it - especially as there isn't anything really you can buy with those Relics else anyway.

So..I'll definitely keep a keen eye on gw2spidy and those babies :D

EDIT: Now 7-10 shells in 20 minutes or rather 21-30 Shells/hour, as mentioned by Paken Kai with full MF gear - would probably influence the market. It definitely depends somewhat on how quick they are really farmed.

Edited by Illein, 22 November 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#12 Bakelith

Bakelith

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Even if infusions need karka shells, farming for those is pretty much worthless, just farm something else that sells better and buy them at TP. I'm curently making arround 5g/h (without taking lucky drops into account) with that I could buy a lot of shells without having to farm these.

Edited by Bakelith, 22 November 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#13 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostBakelith, on 22 November 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

You can get an ascended back piece for free, it just requires 1850 tokens.

Not sure you read the thread, nobody was debating that - it was far more a point to illustrate how soon people will require those Karka Shells, as they will get their back piece for "free" as you called it - but the infusions still cost their respective mats ;)

#14 madmaxII

madmaxII

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Not sure about the Mystic Coins, but as far as the Karka Shells are concerned it really depends on what plans they have for Southsun Cove. They announced that they would update that area and if it becomes a second Cursed Shore shells will be as valuable as bones in no time.

#15 McSumo

McSumo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I only got 7 getting my 100 kills I needed for monthly, earlier today. Took about 40 mins, not many people around, but the last few were definitely quicker when I ended up in a quick kill route with 2 others. Very kind of you to share what could be a good opportunity anyway. Cheers, Illein!

Edited by McSumo, 22 November 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#16 Pysgasm

Pysgasm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KnT]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Consortium chests, if they get to some outrageous price you could just farm them that way possibly. What kind of profit margin are you really expecting on them? If they got to something rediculous like 15s the market would get super saturated by players like me with ability to purchase as many consortium chests as we want.

Edited by Pysgasm, 23 November 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#17 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostPysgasm, on 23 November 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

Consortium chests, if they get to some outrageous price you could just farm them that way possibly. What kind of profit margin are you really expecting on them? If they got to something rediculous like 15s the market would get super saturated by players like me with ability to purchase as many consortium chests as we want.

In all honesty, if they rise to 4-5s, that's good enough, one really can't complain about a ~100% gross margin. No need to greedy ;)

Edited by Illein, 23 November 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#18 GnomGnomGnom

GnomGnomGnom

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Honestly, in the 200 kills you probably had about 150 exploding baby kills so the rate is still pretty good on karka shells.

i think when i actually killed karka in the LA event, I got 1 every other karka kill or about 1/3.

#19 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostGnomGnomGnom, on 23 November 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

Honestly, in the 200 kills you probably had about 150 exploding baby kills so the rate is still pretty good on karka shells.

i think when i actually killed karka in the LA event, I got 1 every other karka kill or about 1/3.

I didn't do any exploding baby karkas at all.  all 175 of my 200 I did in shoals were young karkas on the beach east of one of the first WPs from LA.  still didn't get a lot of them.

#20 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostGnomGnomGnom, on 23 November 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

I can guarantee you it's certainly no 33% chance.

Anyway: Since I made this thread - the Karka Shell price increased from 2s18c to 3s50s right now. That's a 60% price increase within a day. If people bought loads of them, they certainly made quite a bit of profit. :) Especially if they sold when it hit the sweet spot with 3s65c.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/37897

If you take a look at spidy, it seems they're not yet down climbing! :)

Edited by Illein, 23 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#21 glyphofhealing

glyphofhealing

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

except you can craft your ascended backpack with out using any gold or t6 materials...

#22 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postglyphofhealing, on 23 November 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

except you can craft your ascended backpack with out using any gold or t6 materials...

Since you are the second person to say that - and me still not knowing what it's referring to, as that whole Karka Shell-Investment doesn't cater to the Ascended Backpiece but to the INFUSIONS which require 250 Karka Shells per pop - I have to ask:

What in my OP is confusing about that fact? :D

PS.: It's hilarious how within 20 minutes, the price drops over 50c because 5 different sellers undercut themselves for 10c each. ^^

PPS.: AND someone just bought up all shells from 2s95 back to 3s49c - man it's kinda entertaining to watch :D

Edited by Illein, 23 November 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#23 glyphofhealing

glyphofhealing

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

How my comment refers to your Op is you are talking about t6 materials and karka shells.  Since the recent spike in the prices of t6 was related to people thinking they needed them to craft their back pack there may be a yet undiscovered recipe for upgrading/ and or making infusions for them.  So I a merely stating people may want to be careful about investing in them incase someone discovers a recipe that does not need them.

#24 Mountain

Mountain

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Can't you also turn in 1000 shells for the Exotic accessory (the one they gave out during event)? It seems to be about the equal of the tri-forge pendant (different slot, ofc), so I could see prices rise more...who knows.

#25 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

View Postglyphofhealing, on 23 November 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

How my comment refers to your Op is you are talking about t6 materials and karka shells.  Since the recent spike in the prices of t6 was related to people thinking they needed them to craft their back pack there may be a yet undiscovered recipe for upgrading/ and or making infusions for them.  So I a merely stating people may want to be careful about investing in them incase someone discovers a recipe that does not need them.

Ah! I absolutely didn't read that out of your earlier post - but it's definitely having merit. Of course this investment would kind of be a moot point if someone suddenly came around with a way to make infusions without needing Karka Shells at all (which I don't believe, personally - as having them for the 1000 Karka Shell exotic accessory alone, seems kind of a waste, but it COULD be of course) - they'd obviously lose their value.

Thanks for raising that point!

View PostMountain, on 23 November 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

Can't you also turn in 1000 shells for the Exotic accessory (the one they gave out during event)? It seems to be about the equal of the tri-forge pendant (different slot, ofc), so I could see prices rise more...who knows.

That's true - but I am not sure which professions really would consider equipping it (Support ele probably?) and then you also need to consider that a lot of people have gotten at least 1 of them from the event chain last weekend :)

#26 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

I hope at least SOME people kept an eye on this thread and bought Karka Shells - the prices went up insanely.

From 2s19c all the way up to currently 6s05c - that's pretty stiff. ;)

Congrats to those who did.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/37897

#27 aguliondew

aguliondew

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Thanks to that info I can make close to a 300% profit on my small investment. One step closer to my cheap legendary. I still wish i would have known that the price of chocolate would increase so much. It went from 2 copper to 76 copper, that was the last time I had to get mats for chocolate omnomberry creams.

#28 Zellax25

Zellax25

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Fire]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I did a lot of young Karka Farming on the beach.
The returns from doing 1 hr with 2 Omnom Bars = 4 Powerful Blood (27s each) + 20-25 Shells (5.25 each) + 20-25 Potent Blood (2.10 each) = Approx 2.5g per hr.

I always run with a party of 3-5 people so killing is fast. doing around 250 kills in the hour.
I also ended up buying 400 @ 2.35 (intending to get a Ancient Karka Shell @ 23g)
Hope this info helps all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users