9 replies to this topic

#1 Powerr

Powerr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PZ]

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hey all, my name is Powerr I play for PZ and I've been asked by dozens to start some threads on the necro forums to help out those in need of answers. Before you ask, yes I am the same Powerr from Rift and SWTOR.  

I would appreciate those who come here looking for answers to kindly subscribe to my content at: www.twitch.tv/matchlesspowerr

The current specs I play can be found in the description on my stream.  It is currently the top performing spec in tournaments of any aoe dps in the game.

#2 komposterov

komposterov

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

thanks for sharing!

can you please give some comments to the spec and playstyle? from aside it looks little bit "glassy", what do you usually do and do not to stay alive and perform this aoe dps?

#3 Symbolic

Symbolic

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostPowerr, on 22 November 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

It is currently the top performing spec in tournaments of any aoe dps in the game.

Yes but you get *ed over by any competent team that focusses you properly, I still prefer general condi with epidemic and corrupt boon, the CDs on the 2 wells are too long. Plus the fact if you get caught by a glass cannon you're going to die unless you plague form since you don't have any death shroud generation through marks, or the 50% spectral armor. Plus your effective healing goes down and you lose the possibility of going for a shamans amulet since you're focussed so heavily on that power damage. Although i'd be really tempted to run a celestial jewel in your setup.

Edit: to person above, necro play in a condi/hybrid spec is all about positioning, forcing the enemy to go out of their way to kill you.

Edited by Oblivion, 23 November 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#4 Dream Proxy

Dream Proxy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[TS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

One thing I dislike about threads like this is they seem more like ads for your personal site, with little to no actual information in the OP.

Why not include a summary of your current thoughts, tricks, rotations, & techniques in the main post as well?  As for checking on your build in the twitch site (which you could've easily posted here...):

Via copy & paste:

http://intothemists....H6;2NV05NV051ce

Now I understand your #2 in the NA Ladder Rankings, but do you exclusively play necro in pvp?  On the twitch site you mentioned that you play three classes; Elementalist, Necromancer, and Thief.  If you only played necromancer then it would have caused me to think that much more on how you got to #2 with that build.

I'm not saying it's horrible, but I have some questions.  I assume this is your PvP build-- but even if it's somehow a PvE build, it's equally troubling to me.

Why signet of undeath, and a major trait for 20% signet cooldown ONLY for that signet?  It's such a long timer I can't possibly imagine the 28 seconds saved from 144 seconds (still around 116 second CD...very long) even making a difference, except in a miraculous coincidental scenario where a teammate goes down exactly that much earlier.  I assume you're focusing the signet of undeath for revival rather than the Lifeforce gain, as I have no idea why else you would bother with the signet CD trait.   It's also got a pretty long, 2 second cast-time.  That means you can easily be interrupted while trying to do it, and I'd assume high-level players would save all sorts of stuns/dazes just to keep you from fearing them when they go to stomp your teammates, which is near-instant cast, let alone allow you to get off a long 2 second one.

You have a mere 10 points in toughness-- missing one of the greatest major traits for PVP, Reaper's Protection.  You basically have 0 stun / daze protection outside of your elite (since it gives stability).  That means near anything you do can be interrupted, and you'll have no answer for it.  I'd assume good players keep multiple stuns/stun-breaks available for clutch interrupts and escapes-- I see none here, which catches me by surprise.  Even in PvE, having at least ONE non-elite stun-break or damage-eliminating ability (well of darkness for constant blind, plague signet, etc) is pretty helpful in nearly any situation.

Why no axe in a power build?

Why the thief runes and not undead? Or even ruby orbs / ranger runes to go for straight crit %?

Why are you going 30 points into spite, calling it a power build, yet using plague form as your elite?  Wouldn't lich form be making the most out of your 300 points pushed into power?  I understand plague is amazing for chain-blinds, escapes, stability; a whole bunch of things-- but power isn't going to do much for it.

Why are you using power at all in your build?  To increase the base damage of your wells?

Again, I'm by no means an expert.  And by no means trying to insult.  I just feel like your build is wasting points with all that power & no real power-based burst.

#5 Symbolic

Symbolic

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

View Postxxalucard, on 23 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

One thing I dislike about threads like this is they seem more like ads for your personal site, with little to no actual information in the OP.

Why not include a summary of your current thoughts, tricks, rotations, & techniques in the main post as well?  As for checking on your build in the twitch site (which you could've easily posted here...):

Via copy & paste:

http://intothemists....H6;2NV05NV051ce

Now I understand your #2 in the NA Ladder Rankings, but do you exclusively play necro in pvp?  On the twitch site you mentioned that you play three classes; Elementalist, Necromancer, and Thief.  If you only played necromancer then it would have caused me to think that much more on how you got to #2 with that build.

I'm not saying it's horrible, but I have some questions.  I assume this is your PvP build-- but even if it's somehow a PvE build, it's equally troubling to me.

Why signet of undeath, and a major trait for 20% signet cooldown ONLY for that signet?  It's such a long timer I can't possibly imagine the 28 seconds saved from 144 seconds (still around 116 second CD...very long) even making a difference, except in a miraculous coincidental scenario where a teammate goes down exactly that much earlier.  I assume you're focusing the signet of undeath for revival rather than the Lifeforce gain, as I have no idea why else you would bother with the signet CD trait.   It's also got a pretty long, 2 second cast-time.  That means you can easily be interrupted while trying to do it, and I'd assume high-level players would save all sorts of stuns/dazes just to keep you from fearing them when they go to stomp your teammates, which is near-instant cast, let alone allow you to get off a long 2 second one.

You have a mere 10 points in toughness-- missing one of the greatest major traits for PVP, Reaper's Protection.  You basically have 0 stun / daze protection outside of your elite (since it gives stability).  That means near anything you do can be interrupted, and you'll have no answer for it.  I'd assume good players keep multiple stuns/stun-breaks available for clutch interrupts and escapes-- I see none here, which catches me by surprise.  Even in PvE, having at least ONE non-elite stun-break or damage-eliminating ability (well of darkness for constant blind, plague signet, etc) is pretty helpful in nearly any situation.

Why no axe in a power build?

Why the thief runes and not undead? Or even ruby orbs / ranger runes to go for straight crit %?

Why are you going 30 points into spite, calling it a power build, yet using plague form as your elite?  Wouldn't lich form be making the most out of your 300 points pushed into power?  I understand plague is amazing for chain-blinds, escapes, stability; a whole bunch of things-- but power isn't going to do much for it.

Why are you using power at all in your build?  To increase the base damage of your wells?

Again, I'm by no means an expert.  And by no means trying to insult.  I just feel like your build is wasting points with all that power & no real power-based burst.

Basically put the build focusses heavily on positioning and not being caught out of position. Mark damage and wells are the biggest reason for running the 30/30/10/0/0 hybrid build, with the runes of the thief you can position yourself so the wells will do 10% more damage. The build isn't made for surviving in the middle of a fight, it's a build based heavily around positioning since you lack alot of defensive options.

Plus signet of the undeath is op, so you're gimping yourself in a group situation not using it, the 20% CD on signets is because there's nothing else to take from tier 1 in spite.

Edited by Oblivion, 23 November 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#6 demonsurge

demonsurge

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

The reason you load up on power is so that if you run into people with a ton of cleanses you dont get the majority of your damage negated. You don't need to have "burst" abilities to use high power. It basically just ups the sustain damage of the build.

Yes it's glassy and yes you will be focused quite a bit. If you position yourself properly and your teammates actually punish the other team for agressively pursuing you it becomes invaluable.

If you don't take the signet reduction trait the only thing else worth taking is the down state damage trait to ensure you win all downed 1v1s.

#7 Piteous

Piteous

Asuran Acolyte

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 98 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hate to be the noob here, but what do you mean by positioning yourself correctly? Do you mean that your doing everything from a distance?

#8 Sieghildr

Sieghildr

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

I assume the positioning is referring to the Wells and Marks. Namely that if you can make it so that to get to you, opps have to tread through Marks and Wells to do it, that will weaken them quite a bit leading to easier times for the rest of your team.

#9 Symbolic

Symbolic

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

positioning basically means going unnoticed by the enemy/being hard to reach.

#10 Ruufio

Ruufio

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

The reason his build and signet work well is because no player in the game has mastered the PvP in this game. Not even Powerr being ranked #2 or even the ranked #1 guy has.

Every video I watch I cringe at every player wasting their interrupts and then 5 seconds later you see the opponent heal which could have been interrupted. NO player has mastered this games PvP yet, or any class yet no matter how pro they think they are. You can currently watch any video and see what they could have done better including in Powerr's case.

So the reason signet of undeath works so well is because players are too incompetent in the ways of GW2 PvP. They aren't smart enough to see it and interrupt it. IMO you need to spent like 5 months to actually master a single class and to learn every possible thing that class can do.

Anyway, I enjoyed the videos.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide, questions, answers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users